Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2006, 18:10   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous
wht good does teflon coating do to cars? I've Optra Royale color code: crystal mica. I'm from Delhi
What do you guys suggest? Any companies to refer for teflon coating like 3M???
Thanks,
Vik
There are a lot of divided opinions on whether teflon is a marketing gimmick or it really works to help against paint protection, paint fading, tree sap, bird droppings, reduction in corrosion, better shine, etc.

I used it on my OHC once every 2 years and and annual polish. I feel that it quite helped to maintain almost its original shine, even after several years. Many feel that a good polish job every 6 months would also achieve the same result.
Old 11th September 2006, 18:24   #167
BHPian

To remove resideual sticker gum you can dip a piece of cotton in one of the following and try:

* Nail polish remover (acetone)

* Naptha (goo gone is basically naptha+citrus oil)

* NC thinner (available from paint/hardware store)

Caution: Do NOT allow any of these liquids to come in contact with rubber and/or plastic parts.
Old 11th September 2006, 21:58   #168
Team-BHP Support

hi guys,

ive gone through this entire thread but wasnt sure of finally what i should get for my car. basically one of my alloys wheels has dry cement stains on them and come what may i am not able to remove them.
i needed to know what i can use to remove them or do i need to get them painted.

i have a mitsubishi lancer SFXi with the OEM alloys with the "chakra" design.
Old 16th September 2006, 22:03   #169
BHPian

Guys - how often to get a Teflon Polymer Coating done on my NHC ?..
I had got it done just after I bought the car in June 2005..AutoNCare provide a free treatment again after 6 months,and had advised me to get the Polymer coating done every 1 - 1 1/2 years..
Last time I got my car serviced at Honda dealership,they told me to get a polishing done on the vehicle during my next service..
-sr
Old 17th September 2006, 01:45   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639
hi guys,

ive gone through this entire thread but wasnt sure of finally what i should get for my car. basically one of my alloys wheels has dry cement stains on them and come what may i am not able to remove them.
i needed to know what i can use to remove them or do i need to get them painted.

i have a mitsubishi lancer SFXi with the OEM alloys with the "chakra" design.

you will have to sort of chizzel the cement off it first ....then use silver polish ware..liquid to remove it...that should help....
Old 23rd September 2006, 14:12   #171
BHPian

Very helpful thread. My car is only 3 months old......but with the tips i got here...... I plan to keep it in brand new condition for ever.
And by the way i am in the lucky category..... As my car is silky silver colored swift.....!
Old 29th September 2006, 09:36   #172
Team-BHP Support

i have a black lancer sfxi. the cars beginning to look really dull. there are lots of swirl marks on the car. the cars more than 6 yrs old. i have gone for teflon coating 2 yrs back and now the effect of that has gone.
i was looking at some other alternative which would remove all the small scratches and bring back the shine.

the HM service guys recommend a process called surface refinement. i asked them exactly what it is and they just replies it will bring back the shine and remove all minute scratches. they dont know how but they said thats the result.

i needed to know what exactly is the difference between teflon coat, surface refinement, 3M car detailing and miracle touch.
they charge 3K for tefcoat and 2400 for surface refinement.

what is the best way to remove the swirl marks and bring back the shine?

Also where in bangalore can i get a hold of products like STP son of a gun and which alloy wheel cleaner should i go for.

thanks in advance.
Old 30th September 2006, 15:26   #173
BHPian

@ Giri, Where would one likely to find Naptha, I sure would like to refill my zippo's and clean Goo too.
Old 4th October 2006, 11:52   #174
Team-BHP Support

guys i still need help on the surface refinement/teflon coat which i mentioned 2 posts earlier. help.

Rudra sir,
where in bangalore can i get hold of STP son of a gun as well as alloy wheel cleaner.
you have earlier mentioned that teflon coat is not of use. what exactly do they do in teflon coat and incase os surface refinement.
i saw another black lancer before and after surface refinement and it looked amazing afterwards.
Old 4th October 2006, 15:50   #175
BHPian

Wolfenstien:

Naptha should be available from any dealer of industrial chemicals.

It is widely used to adultrate diesel.
Old 4th October 2006, 17:12   #176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639
Rudra sir,
where in bangalore can i get hold of STP son of a gun as well as alloy wheel cleaner.
STP Son of a Gun has a short supply.
It's great product no doubt and I just don't understand how all these good products (selling legally) get out of the market.
Quote:
you have earlier mentioned that teflon coat is not of use. what exactly do they do in teflon coat and incase os surface refinement.
Yes I said that and that's my own view. It's only a coating as laquer working as a protective layer. I have not come across any car showing great finish for a long time. Again, it's strictly my view.
Quote:
i saw another black lancer before and after surface refinement and it looked amazing afterwards.
By surface refinement, you mean TEFLON or anything else? There are other treatments also available.
Old 4th October 2006, 17:45   #177
Team-BHP Support

i had applied teflon coating to my car 2yrs back. they weren from 3M but from a company called tefcoat.
even i felt it wasnt worth it. i paid 3k for it. but the tefcoat treatment has one advantage. its a 3 coat treatment which they apply every 6 months. the whole thing costs 3K.

the lancer guys themselves are not able to tell me clearly what is surface refinement and what goes into it but the finished lancer did look amazing after it. this is only one time process not like the tefcoat.

i need to do more research on this surface refinement. just thought you might know.

anything you might recommend for the swirl marks and restoring shine?
Old 4th October 2006, 17:47   #178
Team-BHP Support

Instead of Son of a Gun, why not use Armor All Ultra Shine? I've used it recently and found it almost comparable to STP. Rudra, any reason why you don't recomend it?
Old 4th October 2006, 17:48   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

@vid6639,have you tried JC road? second left when you come down from Minerva junction. It's crowded, parking is a problem ..
Old 4th October 2006, 17:54   #180
Senior - BHPian

I believe recently in US 3M have introduced complete film coating treatment. It consists of a transparent polymer film which is laid over the entire body. This helps against UV, fading, swirl marks and all attendant problems. You simply re-do the whole process every 2-3 years or as necessary. It is a bit expensive, I think about $500-700.

They also have some 'clay' treatment to improve shine, etc. Anybody can elaborate on this?

Most Viewed