Team-BHP - For All Car Lovers - Keeping Your Car Clean
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   For All Car Lovers - Keeping Your Car Clean (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/16918-all-car-lovers-keeping-your-car-clean-20.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet (Post 548262)
i wash and wax it every sunday...

Doctor saheb, please do not wax every week. You should not wax it more than thrice a year, stretching to four times, if the environment is stressful to your paint.

While you must be keeping very fit with all the exercise, it's bad for the longevity of your paint.

Quote:

Originally Posted by filcord (Post 548474)
Doctor saheb, please do not wax every week. You should not wax it more than thrice a year, stretching to four times, if the environment is stressful to your paint.

While you must be keeping very fit with all the exercise, it's bad for the longevity of your paint.

This sounds starnge,

Regular waxing is not good:Shockked: .

Refular wax retains the original piant lusture and density of the paint and never harms.

In case one is getting is a teflon coat( which is a kind of glorified waxing more than 3 -4 time a year) then it may be of concern.

The concern is driven by issuses such as high concentrate liquids and polish equipment used during the process.

Whereas in a regular waxing DIY using Formula 1 , Turtle should be rather beneficial.

I have never come across a car which has any paint problem by regular wax.

I always saw the opposite cars not waxed regualry that too dark colors wud easily show paint aging signs.

Cheers!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by filcord (Post 548474)

i dont think excessive waxing is a cause of concern. my idea is the moment beading of water stops ,i touch the paint to feel if the smoothness is still there , if its not , its time to wax.

somebody sometime ago gave a link to autopia where they test many waxes , among which most of them lasted less than 4 weeks,turtle wax platinum going down in 2 weeks, so i figured if platinum lasted 2 weeks, turtle wax or formula ll last only a week or so, confirmed by crude touch -feel,and waterbeading observational methods.

thats why i wax it every sunday,and its group thing that i have started here. 3 other doctors also join me to wash and wax their cars having beer
and enjoying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet (Post 548774)
thats why i wax it every sunday,and its group thing that i have started here. 3 other doctors also join me to wash and wax their cars having beer
and enjoying.

Vola !! Doctor you have got a innovative idea Wash Beer and Gloss lol :)lol: I am inspired from you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamy450 (Post 548895)
Vola !! Doctor you have got a innovative idea Wash Beer and Gloss lol :)lol: I am inspired from you.

try it with your friends.it is really enjoyable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by filcord
You should not wax it more than thrice a year, stretching to four times, if the environment is stressful to your paint.

Wax is good for paint. Wax without any other cleaning agent leaves a protective coating in the painted surface. This in turn repels dust and water to settle down.
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.abhijeet
i dont think excessive waxing is a cause of concern. my idea is the moment beading of water stops ,i touch the paint to feel if the smoothness is still there , if its not , its time to wax.

Right here. Doc, you're spot on.

however i am looking for a place from where i an source 3M products in delhi or kolkata.
if some one can give the info, i will be extremely thankful

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatienceWins (Post 546823)
Between, Was anyone lucky enough to find a authorized 3M car detailing centre in bangalore?

Most car dealers offer 3M car detailing. 3M doesn't have any exclusive outlet to do this service. They tie up with the dealers. I got mine done at Sunduram motors on Kasturba Road. I remember reading here that someone got it done from Southern motors. I am satisfied with my experience at Sundaram motors.

3m does have exclusive outlets, I see one in Hyd atleast.

My black Santro was parked below my apartment block, and someone threw some boiling milk on it. This was not the first time that they had thrown crap out of their window (let's not even get into this :mad: ).
Anyway, I discovered this a couple of days later and the milk had made blotchy marks all over the body as well as the windshield. I tried to wash it off, but no luck. Even the stuff on the glass is hard to get rid off. I'm wondering if this was only milk or something else....
Had taken the car to Hyundai for servicing, and they said that polishing is the only way out.
Does anyone have an alternate solution to this? The car is looking pretty bad... any suggestions will be appreciated.

mera 2 paisa:

for the windshield - use "white" toothpaste on the areas affected - and wash it off - see it if works.

for the painted areas (roof) - i think polishing is the way out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by razor4077 (Post 549836)
My black Santro was parked below my apartment block, and someone threw some boiling milk on it. This was not the first time that they had thrown crap out of their window (let's not even get into this :mad: ).
Anyway, I discovered this a couple of days later and the milk had made blotchy marks all over the body as well as the windshield. I tried to wash it off, but no luck. Even the stuff on the glass is hard to get rid off. I'm wondering if this was only milk or something else....
Had taken the car to Hyundai for servicing, and they said that polishing is the only way out.
Does anyone have an alternate solution to this? The car is looking pretty bad... any suggestions will be appreciated.

1 simple solution is to use diesel soaked cloth, or you can try liquid polishes which are not good for regular polishing, but work for removing some irregularities of paint caused by stubborn grime and tar.
or may be you can use a scratch and swirl remover.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudra Sen (Post 549291)
Wax is good for paint. Wax without any other cleaning agent leaves a protective coating in the painted surface.

Yes, but most commercially available waxes have a cleaning agent. These are fine abrasives, and it this that will cause damage if you do it every week.

There are only a handful of pure waxes, with no cleaning agents or cleaning capability. The label will disclose whether your wax is one such.
I quote from the web-site:Car Care Auto Detailing Tips and Training - Polishing Your Car with Car Polish

Many people assume that polishing and waxing are the same. But, the two are different processes. Properly cleaning and polishing makes a world of difference to the outcome and gloss duration of the paint. Waxing over surfaces that need polishing or compounding will only create a temporary gloss. Polishing actually deep cleans the paint by removing oxidation, scratches, spotting, old wax, swirl marks, and other minor paint defects. Polishes work with abrasives and/or chemical cleaners to flatten, or level, the surface. Waxing with waxes, polymers, and/or paint sealants provide an extra level of paint protection while yielding a high gloss finish.

However, on another note - there is nothing to beat the feeling of a cold beer with friends after your car is shining!

@filcord: yeah agreed, but see my car is not at all washed on weekdays, and takes on a lot of grime and mud.( it rains 10 months a year here).and i shampoo it every time before waxing it, the shampoo is applied by a thick foam thingy( the kind of thing found in cheap mattresses and cushions.diffrent one for upper body , lower body, and tyres.
so think that effective removes the last wax layer.
so my car looks te best on sundays , mondays and tuedays.

Dactarbabu, get hold of some clean wax. Only pure wax you'll get for sure is our good ol' WAXPOL. But it's a real tough job and may demand full crate of beer.

Turtle wax (pure) Platinum is also realy good and (best according to me) Bombay is the place get a regular supply.