Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2014, 18:47   #931
BANNED

re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Injection "Map" changes. Not rocket science, considering how long they have been at it. ARAI figures, tailored for ARAI tracks. You and I will never manage to get those figures, since we drive on real roads. With idiotic autorickshaws and small and large goods carriers hogging the right lane, preventing you any decent length of time in higher gears.

We must demand a real-time FE testing method than testing cars for FE at tracks with no problems faced by the real-time driving.

Anurag.
Old 10th June 2014, 18:57   #932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

We must demand a real-time FE testing method than testing cars for FE at tracks with no problems faced by the real-time driving.

Anurag.
Thats can be an awesome thing.

With so many people using OBDII Readers and almost the same app, user data can be uploaded to cloud anonymously. May be some PIDs or all PIDs and Later the same data can be analyzed by Car manufacturers, new car buyers, fellow car owners, reviewers, etc. It can help a lot of sections of Automobile users. Even traffic guys can anaylse whats average speed in parts of city and use that for traffic planning or future road construction!

When i spoke to Mahindra, Suzuki, Toyota, Bosch, etc. technicians who contacted me for OBD solutions, i suggested them to embed ELM327 like device into the ECU itself. It can be password protected using integrated Headunit. But they were like, AaaaAAaaa...
Old 10th June 2014, 19:12   #933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
... user data can be uploaded to cloud anonymously. ...
Err ... I thought we were talking about Fuel Consumption and Fuel Efficiency, which doesn't come directly over OBD?

Quote:
... When i spoke to Mahindra, Suzuki, Toyota, Bosch, etc. technicians who contacted me for OBD solutions, ...
Oh really? With whom did you speak to at Bosch?

Quote:
... i suggested them to embed ELM327 like device into the ECU itself. It can be password protected using integrated Headunit. But they were like, AaaaAAaaa...
Are you serious? I am sure they weren't!
Old 10th June 2014, 19:21   #934
BANNED

Quote:
When i spoke to Mahindra, Suzuki, Toyota, Bosch, etc. technicians who contacted me for OBD solutions, i suggested them to embed ELM327 like device into the ECU itself. It can be password protected using integrated Headunit.
Good idea, you mean that the OBD port has this ELM 327 reader plugged-in permanently?

Quote:
But they were like, AaaaAAaaa...

Anurag.
Old 10th June 2014, 19:28   #935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Err ... I thought we were talking about Fuel Consumption and Fuel Efficiency, which doesn't come directly over OBD?

Oh really? With whom did you speak to at Bosch?

Are you serious? I am sure they weren't!
Im talking much more than just fuel efficiency and consumption. I mean complete data of the car is available on cloud. People with particuar interest will look at particular data. Efficiency is calculated by App, and the same app can upload information.

Multiple folks from Bosch. Even visited their office!

Quote:
Good idea, you mean that the OBD port has this ELM 327 reader plugged-in permanently?

Anurag.
Nope, Like ECU, they can have this simple logic too on ECU board. OBD Port is free for other use. So every car out of showroom has connectivity to phones/tablets.
Old 10th June 2014, 19:53   #936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

To reply to your query, Im into this from years and its my store on ebay, there are many variety and each one is different price.
You have quite a few obd2 stuff on your eBay store. I'm looking for one that is stable and does not drain the battery - also easy to remove as I don't want to keep it on overnight in case it drains the battery. Which one do you suggest for my xcent. Planning to order one today.
Old 10th June 2014, 20:05   #937
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
You have quite a few obd2 stuff on your eBay store. I'm looking for one that is stable and does not drain the battery - also easy to remove as I don't want to keep it on overnight in case it drains the battery. Which one do you suggest for my xcent. Planning to order one today.
The link of OBD reader that you see in Dev's Ebay link does not drain battery that should make the car dead (read battery). These OBD readers consume very low power.

I am not sure how stable or good they are but there is a ELM 327 reader with ON/OFF button, check those once.

Anurag.
Old 10th June 2014, 20:22   #938
BHPian

Quote:
You can go VGate iCAR 2 Bluetooth, its better quality & much stable performance and has auto sleep which works flawless!

Quote:
The link of OBD reader that you see in Dev's Ebay link does not drain battery that should make the car dead (read battery). These OBD readers consume very low power.

I am not sure how stable or good they are but there is a ELM 327 reader with ON/OFF button, check those once.

Anurag.
Hope you meant "shouldnt make your car dead"
Old 10th June 2014, 20:29   #939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can go VGate iCAR 2 Bluetooth, its better quality & much stable performance and has auto sleep which works flawless!
Looks like they are more expensive - almost 2000Rs.
Old 10th June 2014, 20:37   #940
BANNED

Quote:

Hope you meant "shouldnt make your car dead"
Sorry for the typo and thanks for correction.

Quote:

Looks like they are more expensive - almost 2000Rs.
Obviously buddy, quality and features come at a price.

To be frank, the OBD reader that I use hasn't shown any problem in 4 years.

Anurag.
Old 11th June 2014, 01:51   #941
BHPian

Quote:
I'm looking for one that is stable and does not drain the battery - also easy to remove as I don't want to keep it on overnight in case it drains the battery. Which one do you suggest for my xcent. Planning to order one today.
Quote:

Anurag.

In fact, I also wanted one with a power-button and so a few days back,I ordered & got one of these ELM 327 readers with an ON/OFF button.

It works fine with torque pro & fun2drive.I am satisfied with the product. I have kept it permanently plugged-in to the obd-port, with the power button switched off when not needed.

I feel that this is of better build quality than the usual blue ELM and Mini ELM readers.

The power button is a really useful add-on.Now I won't have to suspect the poor thing about battery draining issues. Though it may consume only negligible power if kept switched on permanently, yet it gives some peace of mind, when you are able to switch it off.

(Photos courtesy : ebay seller)
Attached Thumbnails
OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-1.jpg  

OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-2.jpg  

OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-3.jpg  

OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-4.jpg  

OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-5.jpg  

Last edited by VinodDevil81 : 11th June 2014 at 01:58.
Old 11th June 2014, 11:19   #942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Multiple folks from Bosch. Even visited their office! ...
It would be interesting to know whom you met. Not a trivial subject, so it would be good to separate grain from chaff.
Old 11th June 2014, 11:36   #943
BHPian

Quote:
i suggested them to embed ELM327 like device into the ECU itself. It can be password protected using integrated Headunit. But they were like, AaaaAAaaa...
While OBD itself was chalked out in detail, over many years, implementing an OBD reader, with known protocols, or a "ELM327 like device" with ANY modern, very low cost 32 bit micro-controllers (read ARM Cortex M series, the PIC18x, or even 8 bit MCUs, is really no remarkable task.

Many such controllers, have dedicated CAN peripherals mapped with the UART inside. A class X student with reasonable proficiency in C programming can do it in a weeks time, if he had the interest and access to any of the numerous sub 1k inr micro-controller kits in the market. Why would Bosch developers go Aaaa , in implementing such a trivial feature?? Or did they feel it wasn't worth doing it?

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 11th June 2014 at 11:38.
lapis_lazuli is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 12:03   #944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
While OBD itself was chalked out in detail, over many years, implementing an OBD reader, with known protocols, or a "ELM327 like device" with ANY modern, very low cost 32 bit micro-controllers (read ARM Cortex M series, the PIC18x, or even 8 bit MCUs, is really no remarkable task.

Many such controllers, have dedicated CAN peripherals mapped with the UART inside. A class X student with reasonable proficiency in C programming can do it in a weeks time, if he had the interest and access to any of the numerous sub 1k inr micro-controller kits in the market. Why would Bosch developers go Aaaa , in implementing such a trivial feature?? Or did they feel it wasn't worth doing it?
I understand the point you are trying to make. However there is huge difference between executing-to-make-it-work and company-long-term-vision-on-feature-then-formal-production-cycle! Mostly latter decision happens tops-down and not bottoms-up (like the guys I met or interacted)

Its like giving a suggestion to Airtel or any call center representative on how to handle some issue and expecting it to be implemented next day as its too simple to do it.

Last edited by devrajman : 11th June 2014 at 12:04.
Old 11th June 2014, 12:17   #945
BHPian

wont these kind of products, make fire incidents in new cars ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks