Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2014, 16:18   #991
Senior - BHPian

re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

I bought Mini ELM 327 (blue one) v2.1 from ebay only to find out that the adapter was not working, it worked the first time I plugged it into since then there are no lights and the bluetooth of phone does'nt detect it too. I had raised claim against seller on ebay and he sent me another replacement and that is also not working. I guess these are utterly cheap and nonsense quality duplicates, the life of whose cannot be predicted and any of these can fail anytime.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 16:23   #992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I bought Mini ELM 327 (blue one) v2.1 from ebay only to find out that the adapter was not working, it worked the first time I plugged it into since then there are no lights and the bluetooth of phone does'nt detect it too. I had raised claim against seller on ebay and he sent me another replacement and that is also not working. I guess these are utterly cheap and nonsense quality duplicates, the life of whose cannot be predicted and any of these can fail anytime.
Did you try it from a PC? I dont think there is any issue with the adapter as both are not working. Is it not being detected as a bluetooth device in your phone?
Old 15th September 2014, 16:29   #993
BANNED

Quote:
I bought Mini ELM 327 (blue one) v2.1 from ebay only to find out that the adapter was not working, it worked the first time I plugged it into since then there are no lights and the bluetooth of phone does'nt detect it too. I had raised claim against seller on ebay and he sent me another replacement and that is also not working.
On the benefit of doubt, check your OBD port once. Hope the wiring etc hasn't been messed.

Two adapters can't go wrong and the seller won't risk his ratings / feedback by sending you defected materials.

Anurag.
Old 15th September 2014, 20:21   #994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Did you try it from a PC? I dont think there is any issue with the adapter as both are not working. Is it not being detected as a bluetooth device in your phone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
On the benefit of doubt, check your OBD port once. Hope the wiring etc hasn't been messed.

Two adapters can't go wrong and the seller won't risk his ratings / feedback by sending you defected materials.

Anurag.
The first time the adapter worked and after that it never worked again. I have not checked it with PC but the adapter does'nt lights up (there are 2 lights red and green). I have checked the adapter by plugging into the Safari OBD with no luck. The first time when it worked I tried it in Nano and it is fairly new car.
Old 15th September 2014, 20:25   #995
BANNED

Quote:

The first time the adapter worked and after that it never worked again.
The adapter could have short itself I guess. If the lights don't come then the adapter is gone.

Anurag.
Old 26th September 2014, 13:59   #996

Yep, if the lights are out, the adapter is gone. You got to be lucky to successfully use these ELM327 clones from China. I have used multiple versions (bluetooth, WiFi, GSM), manufacturers (price range Rs 800 - 8,500) but the end result has been the same. I found them to be highly unreliable when it comes to fetching data from OBD port. Frustrated, I pried them open to see what's going on and decided to take the challenge head-on. God willing, I will be able to offer some reliable devices that folks can use without being skeptical about the performance and worrying about continuous use in cars.
Old 29th September 2014, 13:01   #997
BHPian

I have bought this item: http://www.ebay.in/itm/181516035220

Twice, one for a friend and one for me (both at different times). Both of them are working perfectly fine and serving well till now. I have permanently hooked up the unit to my car and it can read most of the parameters though its a Honda City ZX 2006 model. I primarily use it to check when the engine attains the optimum coolant temperature of 82 C so that I can switch over to CNG. Engine / Engine oil temperature not supported so I use the coolant temperature as benchmark. I use DashCommand Android App by the way, as Torque Pro even after purchasing does not read much of Honda City codes.

Anyone having bought the same item can post here and maybe check its reliability so others may be benefited?
Old 30th September 2014, 12:49   #998
BHPian

Pls recommend app for ELM 327 Bluetooth on Iphone?
Old 30th September 2014, 13:29   #999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
Pls recommend app for ELM 327 Bluetooth on Iphone?
iPhone doesnt work with Bluetooth ELM327 unless iPhone is jailbroken. WiFi will work without issues.

Last edited by devrajman : 30th September 2014 at 13:31.
Old 30th September 2014, 20:35   #1000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
iPhone doesnt work with Bluetooth ELM327 unless iPhone is jailbroken. WiFi will work without issues.
Mine is jailbroken with rockybt installed but dashcmd is not working
Old 8th October 2014, 11:26   #1001
BHPian

Please suggest an OBD for my 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI
http://www.ebay.in/itm/161164538281
http://www.ebay.in/itm/151178227714
I got these 2 links when i searched. Will it be compatible with my car and if so which is the better buy?
Old 8th October 2014, 13:50   #1002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post
Please suggest an OBD for my 2014 VW Polo 1.5 TDI
http://www.ebay.in/itm/161164538281
http://www.ebay.in/itm/151178227714
I got these 2 links when i searched. Will it be compatible with my car and if so which is the better buy?
Both works flawless and will read all the ECU PIDs given out. For better performs (wrt faster dial updates and great stable connection) you can also try VGate iCAR2 BT. It has faster ARM chip vs PIC chip in ELM327.

I think there is 8% off coupon also "FESTIVE003"
devrajman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2014, 14:07   #1003
BHPian

Quote:
Both works flawless and will read all the ECU PIDs given out. For better performs (wrt faster dial updates and great stable connection) you can also try VGate iCAR2 BT. It has faster ARM chip vs PIC chip in ELM327.

I think there is 8% off coupon also "FESTIVE003"
Thanks Dev
I searched and I got this link
http://www.ebay.in/itm/161306267860
Is this the one you mentioned? I have no idea about this. Can you please let me know the uses of this OBD?
Old 8th October 2014, 15:04   #1004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhinsarath View Post
Thanks Dev
I searched and I got this link
http://www.ebay.in/itm/161306267860
Is this the one you mentioned? I have no idea about this. Can you please let me know the uses of this OBD?
Yes, Its this one. Its same use & features, just overall better quality.
Old 8th October 2014, 16:02   #1005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... For better performs (wrt faster dial updates and great stable connection) you can also try VGate iCAR2 BT. It has faster ARM chip vs PIC chip in ELM327. ...
An ARM chip is not going to make dial updates faster nor connection more stable. The data updates will be only as fast as the ECU puts out data, and that really doesn't need faster screen updates. OBD data updates are last priority in the list of ECU tasks, and the data publishing is not associated with any guaranteed update frequency.

The ARM chip just replaces some functionality - at higher cost - that was achieved cheaply with PIC micro. Not that the change is desirable, the designers may have a long term plan to have done that.

The only plus point would be the ability to provide firmware update for the dongle, IF it supports firmware loading via USB by end-user. However, if you are not changing the car as often as the updates are expected to come, there is no advantage.
DerAlte is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks