Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2014, 17:28   #946
BANNED

re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick17s View Post
wont these kind of products, make fire incidents in new cars ?
Why should they be a precursor or a reason for fire incidents in cars?

Anurag.
Old 11th June 2014, 17:38   #947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
... implementing such a trivial feature?? Or did they feel it wasn't worth doing it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
... there is huge difference between executing-to-make-it-work and company-long-term-vision-on-feature-then-formal-production-cycle! Mostly latter decision happens tops-down and not bottoms-up (like the guys I met or interacted) ... suggestion to Airtel or any call center representative on how to handle some issue and expecting it to be implemented next day as its too simple to do it.
No, that suggestion is like telling Airtel not about how to handle an issue, but to make Mobile phones, and how! Are they in that business?

OBD is about presentation of engine data for diagnostic purposes. That there are many 'geeks' (incl. me) interested in doing more with that data is a trivial extension - no matter how many 'geeks' are interested. Wishing an ECU maker implement non-essential functionality, like Bluetooth based data transfer of diagnostics data, is as amusing as wishing humans had a built-in umbrella for rainy days, just so they don't have to carry one.

One has to be aware that saving even $1 is a high-priority agenda for any ECU maker - Bosch, Delphi, Denso, Magnetti Marelli etc. Why? When one makes 10 million pieces, that is $10 million savings - which will produce more tangible gains if ploughed into R&D. The BT extension for data-transmission will cost $3 with no practical gain to the car manufacturer, ECU maker or the usual buyer.

Geeks are always expected to spend from their own pockets to further their fantasies, as expected in any field - not just in cars. Giving justifications for expecting manufacturer provide an interface to further that fantasy will always be met with ... disbelief and amusement.
DerAlte is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 18:17   #948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

One has to be aware that saving even $1 is a high-priority agenda for any ECU maker - Bosch, Delphi, Denso, Magnetti Marelli etc. Why?
But of course!

I am neck deep in similar business, and the negotiations that happen for chips and semiconductors, are amazing! Prices are corrected till the 4th decimal place, and the amount of freebies expected by the OEM are staggering! For example,

"OK, I take your CAN Bus transceiver, 150K units per quarter, BUT, you give me the entire firmware library with it, customized, and fully tested. I don't want my RnD to spend time on it. And this for the next several versions to come "

(Little OT :The other aspect is, even if the IC/semiconductor technology matures, automotive grade parts mature relatively slowly, due to the huge amount of tests and qualification phases they have had to pass through, to be stamped safe for use in cars. They ensure a fixed margin over the years even if the equivalent non-automotive grade part has become too commonplace, with clones ruling the market at some stage!)

Its mostly bare minimum, extremely reliable and low cost for aam cars.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 20:32   #949
Senior - BHPian

I noticed that the obd port on the Hyundai xcent is below the fuses and hence the cover on top leaves very little space to attach the vgate unit and close the cover. Has anyone tried it on the xcent or grand i10 and tried to close the cover. Also will the Bluetooth work with the cover closed. Here is a picOBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-img_20140611_203124.jpg
Old 11th June 2014, 22:44   #950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When i spoke to Mahindra, Suzuki, Toyota, Bosch, etc. technicians who contacted me for OBD solutions, i suggested them to embed ELM327 like device into the ECU itself. It can be password protected using integrated Headunit. But they were like, AaaaAAaaa...
This has started happening on innovative cars, hopefully it will "trickle down" in future.

E.g. : Tesla Model S.

1. It has WiFi and Ethernet.
2. It keeps uploading telemetry to Tesla.
3. Car owner can "DIY" large parts of car. E.g. ICE runs X11 (ports are not locked down) and SSH is open to main control systems.
Old 11th June 2014, 23:05   #951
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Has anyone tried it on the xcent or grand i10 and tried to close the cover. Also will the Bluetooth work with the cover closed. Here is a picAttachment 1249219
Have a look at this model if you haven't, the small size should be of some help rather using the conventional ELM 327 readers.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Torque-SuperM...3a3ef34&_uhb=1

Bluetooth will work buddy, no difference by the door open or no.

Anurag.
Old 12th June 2014, 13:12   #952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
... will the Bluetooth work with the cover closed. ...
If the cover is plastic (it usually is), it will.
Old 13th June 2014, 17:21   #953
BHPian

Quote:
ECU Simulator is a small box with knobs, each representing some ECU output. It has choice of 2 OBD protocols and also speed/data width.
It runs on 12V or even 9V DC input.

I use it to try new Scanners, new Apps, returned/defective scanners, test scanners before shipping, etc.
Some startups/R&D firms both in apps & hardware bought it for on-desk kinda development/testing/etc. No need of car to try stuffs out.

Here are pics of the box for better understanding:
Where can we procure a simulator like this? How much does it cost?

I basically need it to develop an android app customised for some particular requirements. Hence would like to put an elm327 on the simulator to test out my app (instead of putting it into a car for testing).

Last edited by JollyPope : 13th June 2014 at 17:23.
JollyPope is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 19:13   #954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyPope View Post

I basically need it to develop an android app customised for some particular requirements. Hence would like to put an elm327 on the simulator to test out my app (instead of putting it into a car for testing).
Sure, it really helps a lot!

I have PM'ed you the details.
Thanks
devrajman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 16:27   #955
BHPian

Can anybody in Bangalore lend me a OBD II ELM327 for 2 days(19th June to 21st June). Willing to pick it up and drop it.
Old 19th June 2014, 16:44   #956
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
Can anybody in Bangalore lend me a OBD II ELM327 for 2 days(19th June to 21st June). Willing to pick it up and drop it.
Currently mine is lying somewhere unused. You could come and pick it up anytime. I stay in BSK 2nd stage and you will have to pick up and drop it as I have exams.

Last edited by audioholic : 19th June 2014 at 16:47.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 16:50   #957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
I too have spares which i use to try the compatibility of my customer's cars.

You can take it from me too. I stay close to Manyata Tech Park and work near Bellandur
devrajman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 16:12   #958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyPope View Post

This is very interesting!! would you be ok sharing details of this app you are developing? How i wish i knew programming to write my own and get rid of some basic flaws that commercially available OBD apps have. Not sure if this would help however i know these guys are doing some awesome stuff and have an emulator for OBD data

http://openxcplatform.com/
Old 2nd July 2014, 16:37   #959

Hi Guys,

I have just picked up a 2014 wagon r vxi and understand that it is OBD compliant, I wanted to buy the ELM 327 but wanted to check if i get all the possible readings properly

A request to all fellow BHPians in mumbai (In and around Borivali west) can lend me the scanner just to test before i buy one.
Old 2nd July 2014, 16:59   #960
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_29 View Post
Hi Guys,

I have just picked up a 2014 wagon r vxi and understand that it is OBD compliant, I wanted to buy the ELM 327 but wanted to check if i get all the possible readings properly

A request to all fellow BHPians in mumbai (In and around Borivali west) can lend me the scanner just to test before i buy one.
Yes you can fetch readings from the ECU only and more than 20 parameters are available. I have tried it on different readers and everything works in the same way.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks