Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2014, 23:14   #856
Distinguished - BHPian

re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
I am planning to get the same one from ebay for my WagonR.(2013 OBD2 model).This one seems a bit bigger than the other mini-model. So,will it come in contact with my left knee/leg if I keep it permanently plugged in the wagonR obd port?

Also, is there an on-off switch (that black button on the side - is it a power button?)

Regarding the design defect that you had explained a few pages back, will it be fine if I open the casing and fix a piece of insulation tape over that IC on which the connector pin may come in contact?
Buy the small sized one. They all cost the same if not lesser anyways Saves you of multiple troubles. That said, I am not unhappy with what I have.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 01:07   #857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Buy the small sized one. They all cost the same if not lesser anyways Saves you of multiple troubles. That said, I am not unhappy with what I have.
Ok. Actually I had almost finalized the smaller one.But then I read in some previous posts that there are some models with on-off switch and it would be better to get one with a switch. So I searched more and saw this model.From the pics it seemed to me like there is a switch for this model. Or am I wrong?

Also can you please point out what are the "multiple troubles" that you have mentioned.It would help other buyers too in the future.
Old 8th April 2014, 11:59   #858
Distinguished - BHPian

Firstly, the smaller one will not interfere with the leg movement in case you use it in a different car. Secondly any accidental moves of the leg wont break the protuding device and damage it or the port itself. Third, as I highlighted before, there are no wires that may foul with the board.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 08:56   #859
Senior - BHPian

Cross posting this post from the 'ECU-remapping / Chipping' thread since I did not get any reply.

What is the usual charge for scanning and diagnostics by connecting to the OBD output by an independent garage? I remember being charged around 400 by Ford once for the same and got charged and abnormal amount for just reading by an outside garage. His justification was its the market rate which i didn't buy.

This place is called Auto-Mac in Hormavu, Bangalore.
Should be Ripoff-Mac rather.

The topping on the cake was when the diagnostics guy told me that RRP has not done a complete job on my car and they should have suggested a remap on a Figo 1.2 along with exhaust and intake !

Thanks

Last edited by tharian : 14th April 2014 at 08:57.
Old 14th April 2014, 10:20   #860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Cross posting this post from the 'ECU-remapping / Chipping' thread since I did not get any reply.

What is the usual charge for scanning and diagnostics by connecting to the OBD output by an independent garage? I remember being charged around 400 by Ford once for the same and got charged and abnormal amount for just reading by an outside garage. His justification was its the market rate which i didn't buy.

This place is called Auto-Mac in Hormavu, Bangalore.
Should be Ripoff-Mac rather.

The topping on the cake was when the diagnostics guy told me that RRP has not done a complete job on my car and they should have suggested a remap on a Figo 1.2 along with exhaust and intake !

Thanks

Workshops/Mechanics whom i supply scanners say Rs 500 for small cars, Rs 1000 for Sedan and Rs 1500/- for SUV. This is full system scan with all errors like ABS AirBag Body Electrical, etc.
For deeper diagnostics and injector coding is as per issue.

Figo 1.2 is fully OBDII complaint, you can buy ELM327 and scan it yourself!

Figo owners, Pls do not buy Supermini ELM327, it does not fit in the socket. VGate ELM327 fits perfectly.
devrajman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 14:19   #861
BHPian

Came across this app while browsing for certain kind of OBD App.
Its not compatible with my phone, so would be great if some one can volunteer, demo video sounds interesting as it combines OBD info with social networking
Also if it works with ELM327

Dash - Drive Smart
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...s.dash.android

copy-paste from desc

Description
Smarter. Driving. Every Day.Dash turns any car into a 'smart car'. Connect your car to your smartphone, and unlock enhanced performance, cost savings and social driving.
Dash connects your smartphone to your car with a simple, low-cost device - call an On Board Diagnostic or OBD -which you can install yourself - simply reach under your steering wheel and plug it in! No mess, no mechanic, no problem.
You can now connect your phone to your vehicle, by pairing via Bluetooth. Ready, Set, Dash!
Check-out what others are saying about Dash:
"The app offers helpful tools ... The app’s design is well done - very modern and clean." - Techcrunch
http://tcrn.ch/1jPM7gG
"Dash may lead to a sea change in the way that we think about our cars and how we drive." - Forbes http://onforb.es/1jvSkOJ
"Dash turns your car, into a safer, more cost efficient, and socially connected way to get around." - Mashable http://on.mash.to/1jvSrtP
"Dash uses a low-cost, easy-to-install device that analyses car and driver performance." - Automotive World http://bit.ly/19LOAbd
From Team Dash - Please note the new FAQ page - http://support.dash.by
We are working hard to enhance the product and will be releasing frequent updates. If you have feedback or questions, please reach out to us directly at support@dash.by
Features:
Driver score and insights, to help improve your performance
Save money with nearby gas price comparison
Check Engine Light notifications and explanation
Find where you parked, with the car locator
Leaderboard to compare the best drivers
Multi-vehicle support, with automatic VIN de-coding
Driving Mode - real time data on MPG, as well as audio alerts
Works on all car models since 1996
Note - 911 Alert feature is NOT yet active (we will notify users when it is activated)
See Dash in action, as well as OBD device installation:

Buy the OBD device from the app or see www.dash.by for more information!
NOTE: Dash is optimized for the US market, for cars models from 1996 onwards. If you are outside of the US we're working hard to give you access shortly (Note: international users should check the OBD requirements in their territory, and foreign markets will find differences in language, currency, units and gas prices). If you would like to join the international beta testing team, please email us at beta@dash.by - thanks!

Last edited by devrajman : 14th April 2014 at 14:21.
Old 14th April 2014, 14:27   #862
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Came across this app while browsing for certain kind of OBD App. Its not compatible with my phone
Did try to download the App but this is the error I received on opening the App:

"This item is not available in your country"

Name:  ForumRunner_20140414_142600.png
Views: 1732
Size:  88.4 KB

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 16:02   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Did try to download the App but this is the error I received on opening the App:

"This item is not available in your country"

Attachment 1230002

Anurag.
Thanks for trying..!

But not working, looked promising.
Old 14th April 2014, 16:04   #864
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
Thanks for trying..!

But not working, looked promising.
I have shot an email to the maker if there is something that can happen for it to work in India, lets see what they have to reply.

Anurag.
Old 18th April 2014, 09:27   #865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I have shot an email to the maker if there is something that can happen for it to work in India, lets see what they have to reply.

Anurag.

Dash works fine on my local Nexus 5 in Bangalore for the last 3 months. I have also reviewed it briefly a few posts back. They updated to a kpl & metric option back in Feb.

Most of their leaderboard features are nicely implemented but of little utility in India. And the Auto repair estimates & gas pricing simply does not work. That said, the Parking finder and local gas station locator work fine at least in Bangy, Chennai & Hyd.

As I'm traveling I don't have an option to check if the ELM connect is still up, but I would recommend writing the devs and side loading.
Old 18th April 2014, 10:24   #866
BHPian

BTW, I updated to 1.0.7 today thru' google play store without issue.
Old 22nd April 2014, 16:04   #867
BANNED

I got super mini elm327 for my Toyota Liva. It fits nicely into OBD socket and works fine.
I am using Torque light for the much missed tachometer.
It looks like OBD2 socket is always powered and Elm327 is not getting powered off. I am not sure how much power is drained by Elm327.

Did some body figured out how to switch of Super Mini elm327?
There is little we can do as elm327 connector pins are directly going to PCB

Regards,
Suresh
digitalsuresh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 13:15   #868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalsuresh View Post
... I am not sure how much power is drained by Elm327. ...
Shouldn't be a cause for worry. It consumes very little, almost negligible - your HU and anti-theft system would be using much much more.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 18:54   #869
BHPian

This question might have been asked before in this thread... Whether the below mentioned OBD reader will work with my 2003 Ikon 1.6...

I am basically trying to find are there any errors in my car's ECU & reset it...
Attached Thumbnails
OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-elm327.jpg  

Old 8th May 2014, 18:58   #870
Distinguished - BHPian

Any recommendations for a scanning tool for Windows Phone, that's compatible with ELM327? Free or paid.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks