Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2016, 23:18   #1246
Senior - BHPian

Re: OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars

Cross posting from the Cars damaged in flood thread here for greater visibility on behalf of a friend who is being forced to pay for an engine rebuild
Trying to figure out about the logging functions in the figo ecu
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Nope. Perhaps take an OBD scanner and check if any permanent DTC is stored. Apart from that there are no such logs. Even if you find it, sicne the job is already done, it will be difficult to quarrel with the garage. If he has been able to convince your friend to go in for an engine overhaul, then he will definitely be able to convince that he is not at fault. Permanent DTCs will not be cleared even if the battery is removed. Not sure about how it is in a Ford, but usually if an engine has seized due to hydrolock, the Crankshaft and Camshaft position sensors will throw up errors at least. It should be stored as a permanent DTC with a time stamp and a dump of all the other data related to the state of the car during the occurrence of the error. Only the temporary ones will clear out when the battery is removed.
Can anyone confirm this for the figo? Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 09:55   #1247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Has anyone experienced the same and is there an update available to fix the same?
I have not experienced this error, but I'd recommend that you post this in the Torque-BHP forums. The developer or someone else may have an answer. Please do check the Change Logs thread as well.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 10:37   #1248
BHPian

I have a 2007 Ford Fiesta Duratec 1.4 EXI. I have an OBD2 Bluetooth dongle bought off ebay which works fine for our 1.2 Kappa i10 and a 1.2 KB10 Maruthi Suzuki Dezire. But when I connect the same device to my Ford and enter all the parameters, it just says 'profile not found'. Can anyone throw some light n this. I use the torque app as well.
Old 12th May 2016, 17:20   #1249
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohit_Quad View Post
I have a 2007 Ford Fiesta Duratec 1.4 EXI. I have an OBD2 Bluetooth dongle bought off ebay which works fine for our 1.2 Kappa i10 and a 1.2 KB10 Maruthi Suzuki Dezire. But when I connect the same device to my Ford and enter all the parameters, it just says 'profile not found'. Can anyone throw some light n this. I use the torque app as well.
Certain Bluetooth dongles does not work with Ford fiesta. You need to buy a new one & confirm with the seller regarding the compatibility with that of Ford fiesta.
vdm295 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 08:47   #1250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
The device quality can have a bearing too,because it works great on Chevy ? How do I find out whether its the car or elm device from here on ?
Shashank,

Were you finally able to bring up OBD device on your WagonR?
If yes, i too need to purchase the same. I'm having WagonR Lxi 2007 model.

Ramki
Old 14th June 2016, 08:59   #1251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Shashank,

Were you finally able to bring up OBD device on your WagonR?
If yes, i too need to purchase the same. I'm having WagonR Lxi 2007 model.

Ramki
2007 means you have the F10D Engine and that Model is not OBD II compliant. Maruti then used its proprietary protocol and the information could be read/updated only using their Tech II Scanners.

Only recently, say after 2012/13/14, All of MSIL cars are OBD II compliant that makes it compatible with these OBD adapters available in the market.

One of my friend in Pune had custom created a scanner for this building it block by block and also created an android app for the same. We had tested it in our cars (both had F10D WagonR) way back in 2014.

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th June 2016 at 09:00.
Old 14th June 2016, 09:16   #1252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
2007 means you have the F10D Engine and that Model is not OBD II compliant. Maruti then used its proprietary protocol and the information could be read/updated only using their Tech II Scanners.

Only recently, say after 2012/13/14, All of MSIL cars are OBD II compliant that makes it compatible with these OBD adapters available in the market.

One of my friend in Pune had custom created a scanner for this building it block by block and also created an android app for the same. We had tested it in our cars (both had F10D WagonR) way back in 2014.
Oh ok! Thanks for the information though.
I was just looking to add a "Distance to empty" guage. Is there anyway i can add this DTE with any compatible device(analog or digital is ok)?
Old 16th June 2016, 14:52   #1253
BHPian

Guys, I had bought an ELM 327 and tried using it on my 2004 Accent VIVA Crdi using Torque Pro. Everything works except the fuel related data. Thinking it to be a compatibility issue, I tried it with my Etios Liva Diesel and it was the same case. Knowing that Torque pro works perfectly with the Liva after googling around, I thought it might be the adapter issue so I bought another one. But the issue remains the same. I have tried various versions of Torque Pro, Bosch app etc. Did not get to test it with my i20 as its in my hometown and I always forget to take the ELM along.

Can anyone provide any pointers as to why it does not show Fuel related data?

Last edited by vinayrathore : 16th June 2016 at 14:53.
Old 21st June 2016, 16:47   #1254
BHPian

Hi,
Got ELM 327 device yesterday and tried it in Eon. Used Torque lite version. It was working fine. Will be installing the Pro version. Was happy to see RPM meter moving. Will update the other details in the car in future.

Purchased in Ebay website for Rs.394/- Will be testing in other cars at home soon.
gm_arun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 16:05   #1255
BHPian

Hello fellow members!

I got a dongle from EBay India and been trying to get some data for Nissan Sunny XVD.

Running Torque Lite app as of now on Android 6.x.x

After switching on the Bluetooth, I see OBD II listed, can select & pair it by entering the code 1234.

The dongle has a red light when connected to the OBD port and then has a green light as well when Bluetooth pairing completes.

Entered the Torque Lite app, set the connection type to Bluetooth, Engine Capacity as 1.5, weight as 1200 and RPM as 6000.

Set some display dials on the screen like RPM, Coolant Temperature, Ambient temperature. The thing is - there is no data to display. Each display is either a hyphen or "0".

I read through previous pages and they talk about setting the profile/s - where do I find that option in Torque Lite?

Also, I remember Anurag mentioning about viewing the sensors available for your particular vehicle make/model, and selecting from them - where do I find this?

As of now, I have not set a profile as I am not sure where to set it from!

I have followed the exact steps, in exact sequence, as mentioned above.

Would be sensible to buy the Pro app only if the free app displays some data.

Any other app that I can try with?

Any pointers are greatly appreciated!

Edit: Have not yet tried when the car is in motion.

There are 4 blue icons on the top right of the mobile screen. The 2nd and 4th are stationary (mobile & car symbols), however, the 1st and 3rd keep blinking.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 23rd June 2016 at 16:25.
Old 23rd June 2016, 16:37   #1256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Hello fellow members!

I got a dongle from EBay India and been trying to get some data for Nissan Sunny XVD.

Running Torque Lite app as of now on Android 6.x.x

After switching on the Bluetooth, I see OBD II listed, can select & pair it by entering the code 1234.

The dongle has a red light when connected to the OBD port and then has a green light as well when Bluetooth pairing completes.

Entered the Torque Lite app, set the connection type to Bluetooth, Engine Capacity as 1.5, weight as 1200 and RPM as 6000.

Set some display dials on the screen like RPM, Coolant Temperature, Ambient temperature. The thing is - there is no data to display. Each display is either a hyphen or "0".

I read through previous pages and they talk about setting the profile/s - where do I find that option in Torque Lite?

Also, I remember Anurag mentioning about viewing the sensors available for your particular vehicle make/model, and selecting from them - where do I find this?

As of now, I have not set a profile as I am not sure where to set it from!

I have followed the exact steps, in exact sequence, as mentioned above.

Any pointers are greatly appreciated!

Edit: Have not yet tried when the car is in motion.

There are 4 blue icons on the top right of the mobile screen. The 2nd and 4th are stationary (mobile & car symbols), however, the 1st and 3rd keep blinking.

Hi,

I guess you must have got a mini CD with the dongle. Inside that you have a pro version apk file. Try to install that. After that you can set up profile from home screen.

About available sensor, information must be there under "Adapter status information" menu.

Name:  Screenshot_20160621182946.png
Views: 2322
Size:  313.4 KB

The first icon is GPS, 2nd is mobile, 3rd must be dongle, 4th is car icon. I guess they are blinking to indicate its working or data connectivity with the mobile.

Last edited by gm_arun : 23rd June 2016 at 16:39. Reason: Change in wording
gm_arun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 16:48   #1257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm_arun View Post
Hi,I guess you must have got a mini CD with the dongle. Inside that you have a pro version apk file. Try to install that. After that you can set up profile from home screen.About available sensor, information must be there under "Adapter status information" menu.
The first icon is GPS, 2nd is mobile, 3rd must be dongle, 4th is car icon. I guess they are blinking to indicate its working or data connectivity with the mobile.
Thanks for your inputs! Yes, I did get a mini cd.

What I infer is that I would be able to set up a profile and view the available sensors only if I have the Torque Pro version installed?

Also, at stationary, I was expecting the free app to display at least the coolant temperature, RPM & Ambient Air Temperature. Does the free app not do this? (asking based on your experience with the device)

More than the app version (Torque Lite or Pro), I was assuming that all vehicles would at least display the RPM, irrespective of other sensors being supported or not.

Thanks again, I shall explore the contents of the CD and try as advised.

Edit:

The Torque Lite app doesn't show me an option "Adapter status information" under settings. It has -

Data Logging & Upload (File logging interval, Select what to log, Upload to webserver, etc.)
General Preferences (vehicle information, auto rotate, etc.)
Themes
Units
OBD2 Adapter Settings (connection type, bluetooth and wifi description & port #)
Other Settings

"Select what to log" - I have selected the following as of now -

OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-screenshot_20160623165448.png

I have set the below dials on the home screen (Please note - the dongle and mobile are not connected at the moment. Just an illustration)

OBD (On-board diagnostics) for Indian Cars-screenshot_20160623165456.png

Last edited by Safety is Param : 23rd June 2016 at 17:03.
Old 23rd June 2016, 17:18   #1258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I think it is not the app issue. From what I understand (and what I observed by playing with Torque - both free and pro versions - on my car), if everything is fine, you should see some basic data (engine RPM, coolant temperature etc.) even without any profile set. The profile has information relevant for some of the "calculated" parameters such as fuel consumption, volumetric efficiency, horsepower and torque etc. For "direct" measurements such as RPM and coolant temperature, profile setting is not an issue.

Yes, it is sensible to buy Torque Pro only if you see some data on Torque Lite. That is the intended purpose of Torque Lite anyways.

You can try some other apps such as "DashCommand" (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hCommand&hl=en) and see if you get some basic readings at least.

I have a feeling somehow your ELM327 adapter is not getting the required data from the ECU or not transmitting it properly. I have a feeling it is an adapter issue and not the app issue at all.

Quote:
I think that's it for the Lite app. These are the basic settings for the profile, and Torque Lite uses only these. The other advanced profile information (such as volumetric efficiency) are required for calculating advanced parameters which Torque Lite does not show anyways. So I think you will not find other profile page for Lite. The other profile page (under settings -> vehicle profile) is there in the Pro version.

Quote:

Also, at stationary, I was expecting the free app to display at least the coolant temperature, RPM & Ambient Air Temperature. Does the free app not do this? (asking based on your experience with the device)

More than the app version (Torque Lite or Pro), I was assuming that all vehicles would at least display the RPM, irrespective of other sensors being supported or not.
Yes, you are exactly right. Even at stationary, you should see data such as engine RPM and coolant temperature. And free app should show this. When I was playing with it, I got a lot of data displayed using the free app without any issue.

This is why I believe you have some issue with the ELM327 adapter and not the app. You can confirm this by trying the DashCommand app.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 23rd June 2016 at 17:30.
Dr.AD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 17:40   #1259
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks for your inputs! Yes, I did get a mini cd.
Doesn't the CD contain the software for Torque IIRC?

Quote:
It does and it should. It does almost everything except clear DTC's and some logging part. Basic view of parameters are possible in the LITE app.

Can you try it in any other car once?

Quote:
The Torque Lite app doesn't show me an option "Adapter status information" under settings.
Oh, is it?!
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2016, 12:31   #1260
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm_arun View Post
I guess you must have got a mini CD with the dongle. Inside that you have a pro version apk file. Try to install that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
I think it is not the app issue. You can try some other apps such as "DashCommand". I have a feeling somehow your ELM327 adapter is not getting the required data from the ECU or not transmitting it properly. I have a feeling it is an adapter issue and not the app issue at all.
I believe you have some issue with the ELM327 adapter and not the app.You can confirm this by trying the DashCommand app.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Doesn't the CD contain the software for Torque IIRC?
Tried with the apps DashCommand & Fun2Drive - same result. The OBD adapter is detected, howevver, the ECU remains unreachable.

Tried 2 more apps that came bundled with the CD - OBD Mini & Torque Pro.

While OBD Mini didn't have Nissan Sunny listed, I was able to create a profile in Torque Pro, but there was an exclamation mark under "Connection to ECU", which further states that the adapter can't talk to the ECU.

I bought this from EBay and would talk to the seller (99% positive feedback is what made me order from this seller) for a replacement device, however, in the meantime would request anyone who has tried the device successfully in a Nissan Sunny to kindly share the details here. I am ready to buy another device (budget INR 1000/-) provided it has worked on a Sunny Diesel.

I am still on Page-58 of this thread, and haven't seen someone trying on a Sunny yet, so am not sure if it works.

Appreciate any inputs on this! Thank you!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks