Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2009, 00:40   #256
BANNED

Well, yes I am on a mission!! It hurts when u try to save for an ICE upgrade and those tiny creatures ruin your plans by this unexpected expenditure!! :-P

saw the thread.. would have loved to.. but i'm off to chennai tomorrow..
Next time i'll definitely join..

Last edited by zerocritical : 28th February 2009 at 00:43.
Old 28th February 2009, 00:47   #257
BHPian

well my problems is the dogs. they jump on the roof of my car and sleep there and have made a hell lot of scratches on it :-( . there seems to be no way to get relief from them.
Old 28th February 2009, 01:36   #258

Well i have Sierra it was under attack by a field rat man they are the nasty ones but took care of it by glue called sticky pad its available in M.K Retail in Kundanahalli on the way to ITPL(Bangalore) its in the pet section 1st floor small pad it Rs19, big one is Rs77 or 79,after i caught the rat i left poor Dumb soul to go free and from that day no rats in my sierra but the pad is open and kept still and for Cockroch try this method cause when i was in dubai,our room and kitchen was infested with them so one of my friend told me about this mix:
1.Boric Powder 5 to 6 Tsb
2.Sugar 3 Tsb
3.Ghee 3 or 4 Tsb
(Try this much and wait for the results then u can mix more )

Put every thing in a bowl mix well untill its kind of pasty stick them on the corner of the wall or in corner of the kitchen or put it and a pieace of paper or plastic and even car (i have not tried it in car but fringers crossed might help)
this mix has some kind of smell that is not liked by the roches they don't come back please keep in mind this thing takes time to react by the roches, take about 5 to 6 days to see the results and takes very long time to expire but make sure to keep it away from the little ones and pets.
Old 28th February 2009, 08:33   #259
BHPian

Friends,

My mechanic told me a different idea. You should get some tobacco leaves from any shop (Supari Shop ) and place them here and there inside the car. This turned out to be a cheaper option and easier too.

But the smell of Tobacco leaves sometimes is too strong that you should clean yourself and your car after this excercise. I too had a problem with Rats. I had to travel for 3 months and I had to leave my car idle. I followed these

- Never kept the car covered for too long. No sunlight means an easy home for Rats.
- Sprinkled Tobacco leaves here and there and refreshed them every two weeks.
- The car was untouched by rats and I thanked people at home for this.

- Para
Old 28th February 2009, 13:19   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny916 View Post
1.Boric Powder 5 to 6 Tsb
2.Sugar 3 Tsb
3.Ghee 3 or 4 Tsb
(Try this much and wait for the results then u can mix more )
but make sure to keep it away from the little ones and pets.
Boric powder is not toxic to humans and pets but is deadly for cockroaches,
Boric acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In fact boric power is used as antiseptic as well.

So no reason to worry if this formula works for roaches but not sure if it attracts more Rats due to sugar and ghee
Old 28th February 2009, 20:10   #261
BHPian

My car was not used for 4 days and when I was cleaning my car yesterday I found bits of foam near back seat. Lifted the back seat to find 3 babies of shrew with lots and lots of foam cut into small bits.
Used mouse trap and killed 2 shrews till now, looking for more. My mechanic said to put naphthalene balls but I think its going to make the car smell bad from inside.
Old 28th February 2009, 20:20   #262

Hello,
Thanks for this thread.I was facing problems as well and I did try all possible options.We did try rat poison,the pest control,trim the grass around our house....but nothing worked.Recently,i was trying to google and found this thread by fluke.
The idea of a brush is very innovative and guess what...it does work!!!!I do find hair /fur of the rats on these brushes ,which indicates the rats still do visit.But none of the wires are cut.
About the rat poisons,the rats which eat it will die,but what about the other rats.So,you have to constantly keep rat poison.
This solution of brushes is cheap and reliable.

Thanks Team-Bhp.

Note from Mods : Please try to use punctuation properly. See point #2 in this thread for details. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th February 2009 at 21:26. Reason: Please see note in post.
Old 2nd March 2009, 17:17   #263
Awaiting Email Confirmation

What i did to my rat problems

I used to notice rat dropping in my engine bay all the time while cleaning , but this rat did not have taste for wires, lucky me

i got my gardner to get me some garden rat repellent -- the smell keeps the rats away and if the rats eat it they die.

put some in cloth bag and tied it under the hood and i remove it everytime i take the car out.

ever since there have been no rat trace under the hood of the car.
Old 2nd March 2009, 17:20   #264
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny916 View Post
Well i have Sierra it was under attack by a field rat man they are the nasty ones but took care of it by glue called sticky pad its available in M.K Retail in Kundanahalli on the way to ITPL(Bangalore) its in the pet section 1st floor small pad it Rs19, big one is Rs77 or 79,after i caught the rat i left poor Dumb soul to go free and from that day no rats in my sierra but the pad is open and kept still and for
Thanks for the info.. was on a hunt for these paper. Are you referring to MK retail of AECS layout of there is another next the kundanhalli signal?
Old 3rd March 2009, 16:23   #265
BANNED

Got sticky pads yesterday from MK retail. Placed it near the entry point near the gate. None was caught. Also placed the Rat Trap. None caught in that too.

Will it be safe to assume that the rat menace is over and can i get my car back from office to home? or should i wait a a couple of more days?
Old 4th March 2009, 02:41   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

The rats are not coming into your garden because they are all out --- looking for your car!

I hope you are keeping it in a different place every night!
Old 4th March 2009, 07:42   #267
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The rats are not coming into your garden because they are all out --- looking for your car!

I hope you are keeping it in a different place every night!
I have kept my car at my office.. about 7 kms from my home It'll take them ages to reach my car!!!

jokes apart.. last night too none trapped.. will get my car in evening.
Old 4th March 2009, 08:11   #268
BANNED

Just saw the sticky pad.. one small mouse got stuck to it... here's the pic:
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-image_018.jpg

Also,
My owner, living on first floor, just told me that on this weekend, while I was away at Chennai, they saw a real fat rat in the premises (on first floor). While trying to catch it, it ran to the nearby drainage pipe. The owner pumped water (usig motor) into the drainage pipe so that the rat slips to the main gutter with the force.

Hopefully this Rat wont make a return to take revenge!!
Old 4th March 2009, 10:05   #269
BHPian

@Zerocritical: "Aap to haath dho ke Chuuhoo peeche pad gaye hai". I used to remember my situation when rats attacked my car. Well it's our love for cars and care for them.
Old 4th March 2009, 13:02   #270
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabahmad View Post
Well it's our love for cars and care for them.
Thats true...

Any way to check if there are any more rats? I have put some food to see if it gets vanished.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks