Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2010, 20:36   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: OEM car battery life - How long did your OE battery last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
My Civic came with a Standard Furukawa No Maintenance battery. Never did I bother looking at the battery once before it died exactly after 3 yrs of tension free first time cranks. Fetched me Rs. 350/- and replaced it with Globatt.
Way to go 9thsphinx. Your experience with the Globatt will be invaluable in helping us learn about this new to our market brand. if possible post a snap and provide some details on the product and its price.
Old 15th January 2011, 11:00   #332
BHPian

Well my 26 month old 45k run Swift Vdi Exide OEM battery is showing signs of trouble, a.k.a Check engine lights, coincidentally this happened when I was dropping the car off for the 45k service at Vitesse, with the SA cranking the car, he instantly diagnosed a weak battery and advised a replacement, guess what was the price he quotes me for the battery with absolute non chalance, 11k . Well I said thanks but no thanks.

Guys any idea of a good replacement battery and a dealer in the Andheri East area?
Old 15th January 2011, 12:43   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthdeb View Post
Well my 26 month old 45k run Swift Vdi Exide OEM battery is showing signs of trouble, a.k.a Check engine lights, he instantly diagnosed a weak battery and advised a replacement.....he quotes me for the battery with absolute non chalance, 11k . Well I said thanks but no thanks
Hi a CEL does not denote bad battery but a warning to check the engine's sub systems viz ignition (in a petrol engine), air flow sensors, fuel injection system, emission control systems and their components.

However a glowing 'battery' symbol showing up is a sign of problems with your charging system.

Before replacing the battery I would recommend getting it tested at a battery shop. On which brand of battery to buy it would be either Amaron or Exide. I have not used Tata Green or AC-Delco. To get a list of battery dealers in Andheri try justdial.com

Rgds,
Old 15th January 2011, 13:10   #334
BANNED

My OEM Exide battery which came with the Swift is more than 3.5 years & 48000 kms old. No problems yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 15th January 2011, 16:49   #335
TOR
BHPian

My Diesel Swift Dzire now 28 months old is showing signs of a weak battery. Can anyone give suggestions regarding the best brand of replacement battery and the dealer at trivandrum. TIA
Old 27th January 2011, 09:36   #336
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Civic OEM Exide battery : 46 months (would have completed 4 years this March). I was pleasantly surprised at how long it went on. Had scheduled a replacement during her annual service in March as part of preventive maintenance. Oh well. It just died off without any warning signs...no weak starts or any tell tale signs at all.

Still, happy with the OEM battery life. I guess with factory batteries, it's a hit or miss.
Old 27th January 2011, 15:54   #337
BHPian

OEM Exide battery in Getz petrol-:Lasted for 5yrs+4months.No warning signs in my case too though once in last yr during peak winter it dint crank up 1st time.Yesterday it just died and had to replace it with amaron(Rs5500)
Old 27th January 2011, 16:14   #338
Senior - BHPian

OEM Exide battery in my Marina Dicor lasted exactly 41 months and 10 days. Went bust suddenly without showing any signs of going weak, just went kaput one evening.
Old 27th January 2011, 17:24   #339
BHPian

OEM exide for Civic, lasted till last week, Car bought in march,2007. Not bad
New one for 5500/- in exchange for the old battery, 5year warranty
Old 27th January 2011, 18:42   #340
BHPian

OEM Zen bought April 2004 replaced on July 2007 ( 39 months)
Replacement battery Amaron July 2007 to Jan 2011 ( 42 months), there is a twist. When the battery failed recently, I realised that the battery was replaced with some others battery by some mechanic during some service. so the actual battery might have lasted less or more
Old 27th January 2011, 19:13   #341
BHPian

The battery on my Maruti Alto (new sold) lasted for 3 years without any trouble. One fine day my car refused to start and I had to replace the OEM Exide with a maintenance free Amaron. Got Rs 900 for the old one.
Old 27th January 2011, 21:41   #342
TOR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR View Post
My Diesel Swift Dzire now 28 months old is showing signs of a weak battery. Can anyone give suggestions regarding the best brand of replacement battery and the dealer at trivandrum. TIA
Finally the OEM Exide in my car gave up the ghost.

From reading the different threads on the Swift Diesel/Dzire cars, I guess the average battery life of the OEM battery(99% Exide) lasts between 22-30 months.

The OEM battery is rated at 65 DIN and is quite rare in the replacement market. The most frequently offered alternative are of the DIN 74 kind. But from the Exide spec sheet the DIN 65 battery needs a 4.5V current from the alternator and the DIN 74 battery needs a 5V current to charge.

Will the stock alternator on the Swift be able to charge the DIN74 batteries?

Anyways i was quoted 7.8K for DIN 65 Exide and 9.8K for a DIN74 Bosch.(both after exchange).The 65DIN variant would have to be ordered.

I went against the prevailing wisdom on the 'team' and plonked for a DIN66 Amco battery which came with 2+2 warranty and came well recommended from a dealer with whom i have dealt with from many years.

The cost of the same was 5.5K after exchange and the car is performing as it used to.
Old 28th January 2011, 23:42   #343
Senior - BHPian

our maruti wagonr is completing 4th year in april and is still running on stock battery(amaron). Our first car maruti 800's battery also lasted around 4 years.

The battery of wagonr is not maintenance free, maruti SVC people add distilled water during service, earlier i used to think that the battery is completely maintenance free but the SVC guy shown me how to open those two flaps of the battery and then filler holes are accessible.
Old 9th February 2011, 20:06   #344
BHPian

Well, I'm a little superstitious about mentioning this, but any way. I bought my WagonR in Sep 04. The OEM battery is an Exide. I've done close to 60k over the past six years and five months. For almost a year, the car was not used as I was away and my wife was hesitant to drive in Delhi. The battery is still going strong and I'm still riding my luck.
Old 6th March 2011, 16:47   #345
Senior - BHPian

My baleno OEM battery lasted for about 4.5 years, after which replaced it with exide matrix maintenance free. Anyway, I had not "maintained" original battery either, except for avoiding use of electric accessories for long when engine is not running.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks