Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2009, 00:12   #196
Senior - BHPian

Ok, forgotten...
Old 18th August 2009, 22:06   #197
BHPian

Indica OEM exide freedom has clocked 38 months and going.....!!!
Old 8th September 2009, 22:33   #198
BHPian

OEM Exide in our M-800 (no extras, not even ICE) lasted for four years. Replaced it with Amaron Hi Life six years ago. Havn't touched it till yesterday when, finally, it drained out. Got it recharged today. Let's see how much further it goes.

Question: Is the life span good? What is the average life expectancy of a battery?

Last edited by darklord : 8th September 2009 at 22:35.
Old 8th September 2009, 22:40   #199
Senior - BHPian

Baleno original battery is still going strong. Around 37K kms and the car is about to complete 4 years next month. Battery is Amaron. Absolutely no issue with battery till now.

Voted for 3 years and above.

@ mods :
Can we add one more option as " 4 years and above " ? I think with maintenance free batteries now becoming standard in many cars, battery is expected to last quite long ( relatively ). Amaron in our M800 is now more than 5 years old with 65K kms with it. Hence the option suggestion.
Old 9th September 2009, 08:47   #200
BHPian

My OE battery in Scorpio will be 4 yrs old on 21/9/09.
Old 9th September 2009, 18:04   #201
BHPian

Just replaced my Baleno battery, Exide, at 42000km and three years 11 months. One month after I got the car, I left the boot open all weekend in the garage and drained the battery. Had to jump-start the car and it never gave any trouble after that till last week, when it failed to turn over at a traffic stop. Had to wait by the side of the road for five minutes for car to cool, then it started. That experience was enough to make me change!
Old 9th September 2009, 18:22   #202
Senior - BHPian

I believe draining a lead-acid battery is a crime, you should keep it fully charged as much as possible. In case of draining it fully, it is best to replace it with brand new one. Re-charging is good only as a temporary arrangement. I could be wrong about last two sentences, though. Just curious, how long did it go after first instance of draining?

Oops, the answer is already there. It was recharged after about 1 month and then it served for 3 year 10 months, right?

Last edited by santosh.s : 9th September 2009 at 18:27.
Old 9th September 2009, 18:57   #203
BHPian

Mine was faithfull for 4 years and a couple of moths. It started giving trouble 2 months ago but the mech had attributed that to a prob with the alternator. Then last week it gave up on me after turned on the high beam for a minute while the engine was not running. Then it's the usual story: a jump start and a hasty purchase of a new battery. They bought the old one for 500 rupees too. The old one is a Bosch, new one is Amaron - hope it lasts very long .
Old 9th September 2009, 20:45   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
I believe draining a lead-acid battery is a crime, you should keep it fully charged as much as possible. In case of draining it fully, it is best to replace it with brand new one. Re-charging is good only as a temporary arrangement. I could be wrong about last two sentences, though. Just curious, how long did it go after first instance of draining?

Oops, the answer is already there. It was recharged after about 1 month and then it served for 3 year 10 months, right?
While totally draining a lead acid battery is a crime, if it happens by mistake, you don't have to automatically assume that you have to replace it. A good auto battery will take a few deep discharge cycles, but it will shorten the battery's lifespan. Thru proper testing, you can tell if the battery will be good for some more time.
Old 9th September 2009, 21:07   #205

My city's OEM Battery lasted for 25 months.
Old 9th September 2009, 22:25   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
I have a June Two Thousand & Two model (trying to avoid numeric digits which you will grasp quickly in the post) Wagonr and the battery is still going strong -- TOUCH WOOD.
Update: Battery failed one fine day in July in the morning after having driven for 5 kms, and parking for 15mins with ignition on. Push-started and drove to the battery shop. The cells were almost dry barring one. Topped it up with almost 1.5 ltrs of distilled water there and drove around a bit (15kms) & it was back to normal. After 2 days, I ended up leaving the ignition ON the whole day at work - left the key inside the car & manually central locked the door. Push-started it again & drove back home and the battery has been behaving itself since then.

The car is nearing its 50k mark on the odo & the tires are still decent & would last atleast another 10k according to me. Its been 7+ years now and the battery has borne all the torture given without complaining much.

Last edited by null : 9th September 2009 at 22:27.
Old 9th September 2009, 22:35   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
While totally draining a lead acid battery is a crime, if it happens by mistake, you don't have to automatically assume that you have to replace it. A good auto battery will take a few deep discharge cycles, but it will shorten the battery's lifespan. Thru proper testing, you can tell if the battery will be good for some more time.
Right, I should have added words like "repeated" and "prolonged" discharge would damage the battery. Once it's capacity is reduced significantly we have to replace it. BTW, auto batteries are designed for more current (required for starting) and are more susceptible to this problem as compared to say inverter battery.
Old 10th September 2009, 12:06   #208
BHPian

Swift Vxi, Amaron:

4 years, 2 months, 65k old.... & counting!!
Old 12th September 2009, 13:18   #209
BHPian

Battery down...

My eight months old Amron battery gave trouble this morning. I usually use my drive on week ends, rest of the week i use my company car. I had just done my 50K service at Bimal last week and then left the car at home. This morning, it just would not crank. Had to call the Maruti hotline and they came in no time. The guys said it is due to too many add ons on the car. How true is this?. How does add one and accessories matter on a car which is parked for a week. If the battery is not good enough, I might just get it replaced as it is still on the warranty.
Kindly advice....
Old 12th September 2009, 20:11   #210
Senior - BHPian

^^^ The add-ons could be preventing the battery from getting charged. This would depend on your pattern of use. If you have been using it this way, then there is a good chance that your battery life has already been significantly reduced.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks