Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2022, 13:11   #376
BANNED

Hi, I have a Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI AT 2018 end model.
The original brake pads for the rear tyres have been worn out to 3mm.
The service centre has suggested I replace them, and the OEM seems to be TVS Brake Pad set for the rear tyres which cost almost Rs.12k to be replaced.
This seems much costlier than the quotes locally with Bosch.

Question - Are TVS brake Pads better than Bosch? Can someone suggest a suitable option for Skoda Superb?

Question - Is it fine to get it replaced at a good garage. I doubt the service center will install any other brake pads.

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
Sent my 2008 Mercedes E280CDI for service recently. The advisor told me that the front brakes were worn out and needed replacement. He quoted 15k for the pads and 25k for the disc. I checked at some other auto part spares shops and the same thing is available for half the price. Is it ok if get the brake work done outside the authorised service centre? Will it create any issues? I have a reliable mechanic who says he can do the job.
Hey Manish, I have the same issue for my Skoda Superb now. The brake pads in any shop cost half the cost. Did you get it done outside?

Last edited by Jaggu : 24th November 2022 at 13:30. Reason: Back to back post, please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead of this. Thanks.
Old 24th November 2022, 13:34   #377
Team-BHP Support

Re: What was the average life of your car's brake pads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRider84 View Post
The service centre has suggested I replace them, and the OEM seems to be TVS Brake Pad set for the rear tyres which cost almost Rs.12k to be replaced.
For brake pads use OEM or better aftermarket ones from brembo or reputed brands. While Bosch is a reputed brand, do check with folks who have used it. Sometimes they may not last or brake as efficient as OEM ones.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 14:44   #378
BANNED

So, question -

a. Which are the good brands for brake pads
b. Do they all have standard sizes -like is a brake pad for Superb readily available
c. Does it require good skills to get it replaced; will a non Skoda garage likely mess something else while changing the brake pads.
Old 25th November 2022, 14:58   #379
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
b. Do they all have standard sizes -like is a brake pad for Superb readily available
c. Does it require good skills to get it replaced; will a non Skoda garage likely mess something else while changing the brake pads.
Brands that support the specific car am not sure but:

b: there would be online product selectors that can help you identify the right part from these brands.

c: one of the most easiest mechanical job one can do, if you have basic skills, time and tools, you yourself can do this watching some YouTube videos.

Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 15:29   #380
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, question -

a. Which are the good brands for brake pads
1. For European cars - Delphi, Textar, Brembo, Pagid are good brake pads. However, since you are looking for the rear brake pads, any decent brand will do the job well since 70% of the braking is at the front. If Bosch is available, then go for it. They made good brake pads. Delphi brand pad is available for your 2018 Superb TSI - Rear pads on boodmo. Check link below
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-rear..._pad-38178074/

2. Brake pads are unique to each car model and specific to front and rear wheel as well.

3. You need decent skills and set of different tools. If you have never done it before then get it done from a reputed FNG. Do not visit local garage since you will need a Scan tool to release the electronic parking brake and special tool to push the caliper piston back in case it is screw-out type. Suggest you look for a Bosch FNG or any FNG that works on Audi,BMW,Merc . Superb has floating caliper at front and rear. So, you also need specific grease to lubricate the slide pins/caliper pins. Takes max 30 mins once the vehicle is on lift.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 25th November 2022 at 15:47.
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 16:46   #381
BANNED

Thanks, as i mentioned before, looking at all the brands suggested, the set of rear brake pads cost at best between Rs2k to Rs.5k. Skoda quoted Rs.12k for replacement which seems a stretch.

Also, now i will have to look for reputed FNGs. Since i am new to Kochi, any BHPian from Kochi who could advise regards a good FNG around?

Also, are GoMechanic FNGs usually good and credible as they mention them to be?
KnightRider84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 18:52   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This seems much costlier than the quotes locally with Bosch.

Question - Are TVS brake Pads better than Bosch? Can someone suggest a suitable option for Skoda Superb?
I don't think the Superb uses TVS brake pads at all. All CKD and CBU VWs either use a TRW setup or an ATe setup. These are the only two suppliers. Localised cars like the Polo/Vento had TVS rotors and pads.

Another point is that my Jettas front ATe pads (imported), cost around 6-7K at the ASC. There's no way TVS (localised) pads, that too for the rear come to 12K.

I have not heard good things about Bosch pads in general. The braking performance and bite is not great. I suggest going for Brembos. Performance is equivalent to OE pads and even the price isn't all that high. You can get this done at a reputed FNG. Your Superb has an EPB or electronic parking brake IIRC, so the FNG will need to release the parking brake using a scanner first, then disassemble the brake carrier/calliper and remove the old pads.

Here's a known contact down South (Chennai). United Motors. Highly reputed and official distributors for Brembo and EBC too IIRC

098400 31919
vishy76 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 09:08   #383
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
I don't think the Superb uses TVS brake pads at all. All CKD and CBU VWs either use a TRW setup or an ATe setup. These are the only two suppliers. Localised cars like the Polo/Vento had TVS rotors and pads.
Thanks for the detailed insight.
The service advisor was quite confident when he mentioned its TVS Brake Pads for this version of the Skoda Superb.
Brembo is the name i hear often, wonder if anyone can give me a good FNG o supplier in Kochi.
I also see Motherson, Myle etc on various websites.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th November 2022 at 09:12.
Old 26th November 2022, 09:11   #384
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
1. For European cars - Delphi, Textar, Brembo, Pagid are good brake pads. However, since you are looking for the rear brake pads, any decent brand will do the job well since 70% of the braking is at the front. If Bosch is available, then go for it. They made good brake pads. Delphi brand pad is available for your 2018 Superb TSI - Rear pads on boodmo. Check link below
https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-rear..._pad-38178074/

2. Brake pads are unique to each car model and specific to front and rear wheel as well.

3. You need decent skills and set of different tools. If you have never done it before then get it done from a reputed FNG. Do not visit local garage since you will need a Scan tool to release the electronic parking brake and special tool to push the caliper piston back in case it is screw-out type. Suggest you look for a Bosch FNG or any FNG that works on Audi,BMW,Merc . Superb has floating caliper at front and rear. So, you also need specific grease to lubricate the slide pins/caliper pins. Takes max 30 mins once the vehicle is on lift.
Thanks Sagar.
Seems like Delphi is a good option too.

Anyone who has used the Delphi brand before?
Also, Boodmo has many bad reviews about the quality and returns bit for products. Is it a really trusted site?
Old 26th November 2022, 10:07   #385
KPR
BANNED

Car Punto 90 hp. Life I get is 37500 to 40000 km based on my usage pattern for last 7 years. I always prefer OEM as I get excellent stopping power from it.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 10:25   #386
BHPian

Quote:
The brake pads in any shop cost half the cost. Did you get it done outside?
You can get the same brakepad set from outside and get it installed from a friendly neighborhood garage. In my case the total cost is usually 40% of that quoted at the authorised service center.

I usually club things together when I have to get brake pads changed. If the pad life is reaching its end, I club fuel filter, air filter, oil service etc. together.
Old 4th December 2022, 21:37   #387
Distinguished - BHPian

Mintex brake pad review

A set of Mintex brake pad on my i20 diesel lasted 30K kms. They had around 5k kms of pad material left. But they started making weird grinding noise during braking from past couple of thousand kms and the braking performance dropped as they wore down below 5mm of pad material. One of the inner pad had 3mm of material left. Other pads were having 4mm to 4.5mm of material.

My opinion of Mintex brake pads is they offer good bite and stopping power when they are at warm and hot. They look to have a semi metallic composition. They help shed speed well and provide decent brake pedal feedback. However they wear out unevenly-inner pad more than the outer pad. Even though the caliper guide pins move freely. They squeal at slow speed stops when the pads are cold.

Would I buy them again? No. They are too be brought off eBay UK and not worth the high cost for the performance they offer. There are far better options available locally now thanks to Boodmo. I accidentally discovered that the old Verna also uses same brake pad shape as i20. Visually, the OEM Verna brake pad material looks different compared to OEM i20 brake pads. Since Verna is heavier and more powerful than i20, I am hoping that they are composed to offer better bite. So this time I have installed OEM Verna brake pads with new rotors from Rane. Let me see how these fare. Fingers crossed

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 4th December 2022 at 21:42.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 20:48   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
With the odometer just 30kms shy of hitting 1-lakh kms (can't wait to snap that magic moment), I went ahead and changed the disc brake pads today. My mechanic (& friend) was, as mentioned earlier, sceptic about the quality of Ceradrive pads, but I decided to go ahead with it.

This is how the OE disc pads look after running for 1-lakh kms. Still quite some life left in them. And to think that MASS said they need to be replaced at the 30000km / 3rd-year service.
Attachment 1831134
Bumping up an old post of yours,

May I know about your experience with Ceradrive brake pads.

I recently had a set put on my FIAT Grande Punto. Its been only around 1000Km since the change.

I had very bad experience with BOSCH brake pads - Apparently the BOSCH brake pad decided that the OE brake disk is the consumable thus causing the brake disk to wear out and brake pad remained the same - I changed from Bosch to OE brake pads and recently changed it to Ceradrive.

Did you notice any abnormal brake disk wear due to ceradrive pads?.

Thanks in advance.
The Mechanic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 13:56   #389
BHPian

my 2014 jetta diesel has run 70K kms on the original brake pads.. They are still quite decent but I am replacing them out of abundant caution. Have been suggested meyle bads.. are they any good?
Old 26th June 2023, 23:39   #390
Senior - BHPian

I have a 2016 Mercedes B200CDI. Front Brake pads are due for replacement. I don't want to go for the Mercedes Original as there is a lot of brake dust.

The only Ceramic option I am getting is from a brand called Magma Pro series. It is a USA company with manufacturing in China. Bosch, Brembo, etc don't seem to have ceramic ones.

Does anyone have any experience with Magma Pro series? I'm unable to get online reviews wither about this product.

https://magma.opticatonline.com/part...=usa&ctx_iam=1

Most Viewed