Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2016, 10:40   #271
Senior - BHPian

re: What was the average life of your car's brake pads?

Life of brake disc and pad is totally driving dependent. I usually get very long life on my pads, but as a habit I check every wearing surface except clutch (not physically possible) with a vernier at every service, and change when wear is about 60% at the max 70 %. My current Polo has done 65,000 km. OE pads were having a lining 9 mm thick when inspected at 60000 km. When new the lining was 14mm Next inspection will be at 75000 km, and if lining is 6mm or lower they will be changed. Note that once wear reaches 60% it increases at a very fast rate, I think heat dessepation absorption reduces.
The two Innovas I used previously both returned a 90,000 km oe brake pad life. While one Indica 2005 model used for 3.25 Lakh km. First one lakh by me, and rest by staff with a dedicated driver needed 5 sets of brake pads, one set of discs, and one set of rear shoes till the car was sold.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2017, 12:50   #272
BHPian

I have covered 63K on stock brake pads, still I can use it for another 15 K easily. my vehicle is i20 crdi. I agree this is all depends on driving habits and traffic condition. I live in Bangalore.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th May 2017 at 08:31. Reason: typo
Old 7th May 2017, 14:29   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Replaced the first set of brake pads on my Polo GT during the 75k service. The pads still had some life left but didn't want to take a risk as the braking performance had reduced. Still on the stock discs though.
What? Stock disc after 75k kms in Polo?

My first replacement was at 7.5k kms. Now at 35k kms, signs of shuddering are showing up. Changed pads twice too.

Never changed rotors in any of my previous cars (they were sold in the range of 60-80k kms)..

They say thickness is reasonably okay, but there were signs of scoring. Not inclined on resurfacing and extending the life.

Does rotors require any sort of maintenance?

Also the service manager at Sundaram Motors claim there are two type of rotors available..one manf by TVS and other by VW. But when inquired, few say there is only one OEM option available. Mixed reviews for Brembo..not able to find Bosch outlets that deal with POLO Rotors.
Old 7th May 2017, 14:39   #274
BHPian

mine (etios liva gd) i replaced at 78k. as mentioned by most of the members, it all depends on the driving style and traffic condition.
Old 8th May 2017, 13:21   #275
Senior - BHPian

The stock disk pads on my 2005 Baleno are still good at 85k kms. Last week had them checked, but still has life for 10k kms as per the mechanic.

And to think that MASS had suggested replacing these at the 30k service. 😳 Bunch of crooks.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 14:56   #276
BANNED

Re: What was the average life of your car's brake pads?

I was getting some erratic screeching sound while normal braking, which I initially thought due to tyre rubber getting hard, but then realized sounds are coming from the brake.

Sent the car to Nissan A.S.S., which they diagnosed that to brake disc wearing out.

My Micra petrol has run 33K and on stock break disk. The SA gave me a chart, which says greater than 22mm thickness is good, anything between 20 -22 mm is concerned and less than 20 mm needs immediate disc change. He said current brake disc thickness is at 19.85 mm.

As usual, they didn't have stock and the part will take some time to arrive from Chennai .

Just wanted to know, how bad is the condition? SA said, I can drive for 2k -3k, but should really try to avoid high speed panic braking.

Is the only way to measure brake disc thickness in a non-alloy wheel is to take out the wheel?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th May 2017 at 08:32. Reason: typo
Old 27th May 2017, 11:05   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
With our road conditions, scoring on rotor is unavoidable and skimming definitely improves life of pads as well as ensures safe braking.
Thanks for the info. Can you please elaborate little more on the 'scoring on rotor' and 'skimming the rotor'! i.e. how the skimming is done? at ASS or aftermarket? Hope you'd bear with my lack of technical knowledge
Old 27th May 2017, 16:48   #278
Senior - BHPian

Scoring: When sand or tiny rock particle gets in between brake pads and rotor (disc), sometimes it makes circular abberations on the disc's face, causing the surface to be rough and uneven. This would reduce the effective surface area of braking. These abberations are known as 'scoring'. If left unattended, this would eat up the brake pad surface materials fast.
'Skimming' is to fit the rotor (disc) on a lathe and carry out a 'facing' operation, which removes just the uneven metal and makes the face smooth. During regular service, ASS visually inspects brakes and informs the condition of pads and discs. If scoring is found on the discs, ASS normally gets rotors skimmed through outside lathe shops. You could skim the disc 3-4 times, until it reaches the minimum disc thickness. Thereafter you would have to renew the disc.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 27th May 2017 at 17:07.
RajaTaurus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 18:41   #279
BHPian

Thanks a lot. That is explained crystal clear. I'll be using this info very soon to check my disc and pads condition.
Old 7th July 2017, 13:04   #280
BHPian

Dear BHPians,
I need a suggestion on replacing Brake Pads and Brake disc on my Skoda Laura. I have few options in getting them replaced,
Option 1: ASS or
Option 2: Of the market

Option 1 - ASS:
Front Brake pads - ~ ₹5,500 + Labor
Disc - ~ ₹10,000 + Labor

PIC 1
What was the average life of your car's brake pads?-img_20170705_194732.jpg
Currently mounted

Option 2 - Of the market:
I have two options here,
1> A local service center claims he has OEM part and quoting ~ ₹2,200 for brake pads

PIC 2
What was the average life of your car's brake pads?-img_20170706_173305.jpg

2> TEXTAR brake pads from JC road, Bangalore - ₹2,650

PIC 3
What was the average life of your car's brake pads?-img_20170706_183850.jpg

Need suggestion on choosing between these two options.

If I am purchasing from second option, should I buy from Local service or JC road?

Can I trust the local service centre who claims he can source the OEM part? But observe closely in the PIC 1 and PIC 2 for volkswagen symbol, V is not touching W in the PIC 2.
So should I buy them?
or
Is Textar a good option?

Any other make which I can source from JC road or online easily.

Brake disc will cost me ~2000 each in JC road, again need suggestion for the same. Make and price.

Thanks,
Madhusudan
Old 21st August 2017, 15:34   #281

BOSCH BRAKE PADS ARE AVAILABLE PART NO:F002H23612-8F8 and rotor F002H23845-8F8
Old 21st August 2017, 16:46   #282
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajurchristy View Post
BOSCH BRAKE PADS ARE AVAILABLE PART NO:F002H23612-8F8 and rotor F002H23845-8F8
This is for Skoda Laura, right?
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 16:47   #283
BHPian

Not exactly related to brake pads though.

The front discs in my almost 2 years old Polo have developed concentric circular lines. I never bothered till the time A.S.S. guy pointed to it. What he further said was shocking. He mentioned that brake pads are as good as new, and he was sure that I have got them replaced just a while back. Just that I have never got them replaced!

So, does having these concentric lines pose a safety issue? That Polo has done some 35k km, mostly in either peak traffic hours or highway running (50-50), is it time to replace the discs? or pads? or both?
Old 3rd September 2017, 19:39   #284
BHPian

Concentric lines are okay if not deep. Problem only if the grooves are deep, which most likely is caused by foreign matter embedded in the brake pads.
Low wear on the brake pads is consistent with good driving practices, minimal routine braking, use of engine braking and good anticipation.
maestro is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2017, 00:11   #285
BHPian

Life of brake pads depend entirely on the driving habits of an individual and thus can highly vary from case to case. I drive a Maruti Dzire Vxi which has clocked 42,600. The car has been driven in variety of road conditions with 25% being on mountain roads, 35% on open highways in the plains and 40% in the city traffic conditions. Got the front disc brake pads changed for the first time at 31,000 kms although they could have survived for at least 5,000 kms more but didn't thought it wise to take any chance lest it may result in damage to the brake discs. Cost of 4 Disc Pads (MGP) was INR 1,583/- and labour cost was INR 200/-. The rear drum brake shoes are still working fine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks