Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2011, 16:14   #136
BHPian

re: What was the average life of your car's brake pads?

I got my SwiftD's brake pads replaced this Saturday at Carnation. Don't know the brand, but the Carnation's service manager told me that they had stocked Swift's OE brake pads. Total cost+labour+tax came exactly Rs.1194/-.
My earlier Bosch brake pads lasted almost 25K kms, but good enough for the price they came for (550 for pads + 200 for fitting from MASS) when compared to OEMs which lasted 36K kms.
Old 17th June 2012, 21:51   #137
BHPian

Hi need some advise from i10 AT owners regarding stock brake pad's life. My ride is touching on 30k kms. There is no noticeable sign of any decrease in braking. I make sure to ask my service guy to check the brake pads everytime and he says it is ok.

Have any of you guys had to change it, how many kms and what cost ?
Old 29th August 2012, 11:48   #138
BHPian

Just got a call from the Service Engineer from Concorde Motors Dairy Circle (Had given my GP90 for 2nd service @ 15K) he says

Front Brake Pads need replacement !!! Costing ~3.5K

He says its worn out & advising me for replacement.

Any advice guys?

VATSAG
Old 28th December 2012, 17:03   #139

Issue with VW Polo 1.6L Petrol Brake Pads

I wanted to know whether anyone else has experienced a problem similar to mine. I own a Feb 2011 model of the VW Polo 1.6L Petrol Highline that has approx 8000 kms on it at this point. It was bought from Sadiq Motors in Nagpur and is with my parents in Nagpur itself. They recently told me of a brake pad issue for which Sadiq Motors said the brake pads will have to be replaced due to water remaining on the pads after washing. They infact prescribed that after washing the car everytime the car should be driven around the block. Since my parents were too busy to put much thought into it they went ahead and got the pads repalced - paying some Rs 6k in the process.

Now we own 5 cars, each of different makes, and have owned another 5-6 cars over the past decade. Never have I had to replace brake pads at 8k kms!! Whats more, we weren't even given the old brake pads and they are still with the dealership. Since I was just made aware of the problem I've started getting in touch with the dealership, - their initial response has been "Wear and tear is not covered under warranty".

Has anyone else faced this issue with their Polo? Any comments/suggestions would be welcome.
Old 28th December 2012, 20:12   #140
BHPian

Re: Issue with VW Polo 1.6L Petrol Brake Pads

Brake pads aren't covered under the warranty (except for the first 6 months, I think?). They are an obvious wear&tear part.

What exactly was the issue with the brakes? Wearing out in 8K KM for a normal(?) used car is very poor.

With my Vento, after a cold start, I was getting a screeching noise while braking. The SA told it was due to water entering the brake lining. I wasn't sure bout the reasoning but the issue always happened in the morning after a cold start and once I explained my cleaner not to wet the tyres, it hasn't repeated.
Old 28th December 2012, 21:24   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Issue with VW Polo 1.6L Petrol Brake Pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangtani View Post
Has anyone else faced this issue with their Polo?
There were instances reported on the brakes (drum) getting jammed when park brakes are applied. Same were quoted as saying after a wash of the rear wheels it is better to drive the while for a while, but this is rectified free of cost.

Looks like a scam from your dealer, I guess!

Cheers!
Old 29th December 2012, 13:39   #142

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
There were instances reported on the brakes (drum) getting jammed when park brakes are applied. Same were quoted as saying after a wash of the rear wheels it is better to drive the while for a while, but this is rectified free of cost.

Looks like a scam from your dealer, I guess!

Cheers!
This is exactly what was happening from what I understand. But yeah, I got charged for the replacement unlike in your case. Its absurd why its happening as well, haven't experienced such a problem with any of the other cars we have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeH View Post
Brake pads aren't covered under the warranty (except for the first 6 months, I think?). They are an obvious wear&tear part.

What exactly was the issue with the brakes? Wearing out in 8K KM for a normal(?) used car is very poor.

With my Vento, after a cold start, I was getting a screeching noise while braking. The SA told it was due to water entering the brake lining. I wasn't sure bout the reasoning but the issue always happened in the morning after a cold start and once I explained my cleaner not to wet the tyres, it hasn't repeated.
I know brakes aren't covered under warranty but the pads wearing out after 8k odd kms on a brand new car is absurd. The problem was very similar from what you have described, but in my case they said they had to change the pads.

Last edited by GTO : 31st December 2012 at 08:47. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 7th January 2013, 23:40   #143
BHPian

on my Xylo, I got the front brake pads changed at 43K, though the adviser told that it may still continue for another 2-4K. I do not have the habit of using engine braking, and daily commute is city road. The rear ones are going good, may last another 10-15K ? current ODO is 62K. btw, every few months, I get the front and rear ones cleaned.
Old 7th June 2013, 18:51   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivatsahg View Post
Just got a call from the Service Engineer from Concorde Motors Dairy Circle (Had given my GP90 for 2nd service @ 15K) he says

Front Brake Pads need replacement !!! Costing ~3.5K

He says its worn out & advising me for replacement.

Any advice guys?

VATSAG
Its their foul play and nothing more than that. I was also advised to replace the brake pads by Concorde guys.
Old 7th June 2013, 20:35   #145
BHPian

Current ODO reading on my Vista is 49500 and so far so good- Touch wood. Brakes are still good - have excellent bite and hope they last longer!!
Old 8th August 2013, 00:58   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Current ODO reading on my Vista is 49500 and so far so good- Touch wood. Brakes are still good - have excellent bite and hope they last longer!!
My 2 year old Vista's manual says to replace the brake pads at 40k Kms or 2 years whichever is earlier. The car has done 25k Kms and due for a brake fluid change this weekend. Should I go for a brake pad change as well. What do you guys suggest?

Last edited by smrtdvl : 8th August 2013 at 01:07.
Old 8th August 2013, 11:48   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
My 2 year old Vista's manual says to replace the brake pads at 40k Kms or 2 years whichever is earlier. The car has done 25k Kms and due for a brake fluid change this weekend. Should I go for a brake pad change as well. What do you guys suggest?
Are you sure that is what the manual says?

Because only the Brake-Fluid has a time-limit. The Brake-Pads and Rotors are to be replaced on a wear-and-tear basis since it depends on actual usage.
Old 8th August 2013, 18:53   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post

Are you sure that is what the manual says?

Because only the Brake-Fluid has a time-limit. The Brake-Pads and Rotors are to be replaced on a wear-and-tear basis since it depends on actual usage.
Oops my bad. Double checked again and in fact its the brake fluid that has to be changed in 2 years time and the brake pad is supposed to be inspected and replaced if needed. Anyways thanks for pointing this out.
Old 9th August 2013, 11:27   #149
Senior - BHPian

I am at 56000 kms on my Getz. The brakes are strong and the bite is good. Hope it remains so for some more time.
Old 9th August 2013, 12:31   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

On my sx4 the break pads lasted for around 31K Kms. When I changed the pads, they gave me the older ones as proof and asked me to dispose.

Since I have driven a lot on highways, I first doubted why I needed the replacement. But later when SA explained, I also realised that 2/5th of driving is in namma bengaluru where I don't get chance to even slot into third gear. Extreme stop and go. So maybe it lasted good. Now the issue I see is, even after replacing the pads (300kms ago) so far, the gentle breaking makes squeezing sound. I don't see any changed feeling of breaking but that sound annoys me. It's not the morning break sound, it's rather when wheels have done more than 25kms or so, it makes that sound only on gentle breaking. When I asked SA, he said its because of the dust of new pads that need to settle down with older discs. This will continue to happen until another 700kms. I am just hoping that he is right and nothing fishy here!

Any expert comments if that should be just waited and watched or some action to be taken?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks