Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2008, 14:10   #16
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT SPAM the forum. One-liners that add absolutely no value to the thread are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to visit our board rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 5th August 2008 at 15:17.
m3_07 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th August 2008, 14:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
The left Idler arm had slight more play than required, removed the split-pin, tightened the lock nut and a new split-pin back, grease pumped into the shaft, DONE.
The idler arm bush has a brass shim before the nut. Pumping grease into the shaft is not the answer.

How do I know this? I went to check for a judder after my Bangalore-Mysore highway trip where we hit a couple of speedbreakers at high speeds and the chaps at Manipal tried this treatment first - I wasnt convinced as I couldnt see that kind of play in the idler arm. In fact it was quite tight and okay, didnt require any work as far as I could make out. Didnt stop them from greasing because it took about 5 minutes and didnt cost me anything.

Turned out the problem was the lower arm wheel bolt and not the idler arm. We found this in Palghat when I had more time to get this attended to.

However, this problem does not occur as a matter of course - shouldnt happen unless you have a serious battering to the front suspension. My truck has 'flown' on four occassions recently, which probably explains why this happened - it always lands on the front wheels.
Old 4th August 2008, 14:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I have driven my Safari for 3 days now and done some 100 KM ( Including today morning ) and noticed a click - click sound from the right hand side near to rear wheel when speed is between 40 to 60 Km / hr and there after becomes unadible.

A plastic lock of the plastic cover in wheel hosting bay was missing and I
guess it is due to this .
Also on turning the steering fully either to left or right I hear a scratching sound if the window is open , Initially it used to be hissing sound. Will try getting the hose checked as mentioned in the thread.

Should I wait till first service for this or these problems require immediate attention ?

One more thing I forgot to remove the parking breaks while taking out the vehical once , Actually I was doing reversing slowly and suddenly a Maruti came from behind fitting itself in a narrow remaining space and got me worked up mentally and I pressed the accilaratar. How much of damage this would have done ? Can the steering sound be due to this?
I should learn to live with slow and graceful movements in narrow spaces and dont get agetated by honking of people

Regards
Amit

Quote:
This is a collection of all known issues/ Niggles/ Problems with the safari 2.2l, along with the solutions. Please keep adding as it will act as a single repository. Thanks Aburagohain for this suggestion.

Fluid hose burst, This was reported by Aburagohain.

The klank sound upon full steering turn has been noticed by many, some say it goes away with time.
By Aburagohain:
The Crankshaft pulley assembly/ damper assembly change
The Crankshaft pulley assembly/ damper assembly was reported by me and replaced in some pre-march Safari 2.2l's. The problem found was that the belt will get off the pulley stranding the whole vehicle. They came out with a modified spare and was replaced in some batches. No worry for March/ post march production/ sales, IMO.
Krrrr sound upon instant pickup
The Most notorious of them is the 'Krrrr' sound which one used to get upon sudden pickup from any of the gears except 1st. Most pre-June batches have this sound and some reportedly say that it goes away after a certain run.
By Aburagohain:
Can people who have run more than 10k support this claim, JKdas ??? Smsrini??? others??

Windshield Wiper Tank Leakage
The Leakage of Windshield wiper tank was also reported by me, just get the tank changed under warranty if you find water levels down within 3-4 days of topup.
Old 4th August 2008, 15:25   #19
Team-BHP Support

A family friend of ours has a 2.2 done 6000kms(few months old). The timing belt snapped, and lot of work had to be done. Car was in workshop for almost a week.
Any idea why did timing belt snap on a new vehicle?
Old 4th August 2008, 15:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

Did you uprade your tyres, hope nothing is touching the wheels, check for scrape marks on the inside wall of tyre Or a bent underbody stone guard, which extends its arms along the chasis near the inside front wheels.

I could not get the plastic thing which you described + no harm on a small drive with handbrake, unless you feel that its become softer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Hi,

I have driven my Safari for 3 days now and done some 100 KM ( Including today morning ) and noticed a click - click sound from the right hand side near to rear wheel when speed is between 40 to 60 Km / hr and there after becomes unadible.

In a new vehicle, two probables,

a)Overtensioning
b) Bad quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
A family friend of ours has a 2.2 done 6000kms(few months old). The timing belt snapped, and lot of work had to be done. Car was in workshop for almost a week.
Old 4th August 2008, 17:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

No my tyres and rims are stock , I will check for the scrape marks and underbody today. About the plastic thing if you just look above mudguard near to rear tyre the inside cover is fastened with a plastic lock instead of screw / nut , one of them is missing.

Quote:
Did you uprade your tyres, hope nothing is touching the wheels, check for scrape marks on the inside wall of tyre Or a bent underbody stone guard, which extends its arms along the chasis near the inside front wheels.

I could not get the plastic thing which you described + no harm on a small drive with handbrake, unless you feel that its become softer.

In a new vehicle, two probables,

a)Overtensioning
b) Bad quality
Old 4th August 2008, 21:35   #22
BHPian

Thanks Dadu, for opening this thread, would be really helpful for all Safari owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselone View Post
This is a great thread for all safari owners and prospective owners.
Mine is a May 2008 2.2.

1)I noticed the Krrr sound in the second gear between 1700 to 2000 rpms.This sound was present from day one and has nearly vanished now( or is it that i have got so used to it that i do not hear it anymore!) The truck has run 5000 kms now. The TASS guys say this sound is due to the vtt(!) and is not observed in the 3L safari dicors. Need verification on this from other members.
I am also facing the same problem. Informed TASS on first service and they said its there in all the 2.2s and is normal. Waiting to see if the cause is found.

Quote:
2)Noticed a persistent squeeking sound from the rear of the car. Initially thought it was the tail gate, but it turned out that the middle seat was not engaged properly.
In my case it was a badly fitted top upholstery. Padding was missing which caused the noise from the back on a rough ride. Rear door also was set.

3)Hissing sound on turning the wheel fully is present from day one till date.What do i do for this?
Quote:
4) When i engage the hand break on a slope and release it i have noticed a instant pungent burning smell. what can this be?
I am facing the same issue. Happens when hand brake is engaged and is on a steep. Could be the half clutch. Waiting for a solution.

Quote:
5) Ac konked while returning from a long drive, the fuse had blown. TASS has replaced the 15 amp fuse with a 25 amp but were not able to do a RCA.

Plus there are some small issues like steering horn getting stuck and driver side power window being too slow and making a squeeking sound etc.

Will keep posting "events" as and when they happen

cheers!
Not experienced any of these so far.

Last edited by vroom77 : 4th August 2008 at 21:37. Reason: mispelt :-)
Old 4th August 2008, 22:54   #23

The klank sound on full steering is there, had enquired with the service guys, seems to be present on all Safaris, something to do with a protruding bolt it seems, wonder why they haven't been able to solve this.. anyone going for service could get this clarified please?

Even I faced the same klank sound as yours its mainly due to lack of grease get the split pins replaced and pump grease into it the sound will vanish specially it starts after a underbody wash or during rainy seasons
Old 5th August 2008, 08:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

Almost unheard off. Timing belts last a lakh or more kms. The older Safaris had the rubber timing belt. I don't if they have replaced with a timing chain or gear in the newer version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Old 5th August 2008, 09:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

Alternators are getting replaced

Shishir got a call from tata saying that they are replacing the alternator for all safaris. Now its not clear, if all are getting replaced or all from a particular batch.

Guys please report if you get any such calls.

Got it now, ask them to replace the plastic locks in your next service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
No my tyres and rims are stock , I will check for the scrape marks and underbody today. About the plastic thing if you just look above mudguard near to rear tyre the inside cover is fastened with a plastic lock instead of screw / nut , one of them is missing.
Also when reporting any new issues/solutions please keep the headers in bold, it helps to read through.
Old 5th August 2008, 11:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hissing sound on full right of wheel: I get it while going forward only, not on reversing, and I can feel it in the steering wheel with windows up.

Had appeared a couple of months back, after first service. Went to Concorde, Mysore Road. The inside of the tyre was rubbing against the fiber cover of the shocker (in the wheel well). Service guy's explanation: Either modification for achieving tighter turn () or change of tyre from spec! I said neither, this vehicle has been always serviced by Concorde Mysore Road only. His solution - take it inside and get the offending fiber part ground off. Worked for some time, now the grinding noise is back again.
Old 5th August 2008, 11:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps Reducing the turning radius by a bit, so the tyres dont touch is a better option. This solution would have been the OEM alignment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Had appeared a couple of months back, after first service. Went to Concorde, Mysore Road. The inside of the tyre was rubbing against the fiber cover of the shocker (in the wheel well). Service guy's explanation: Either modification for achieving tighter turn () or change of tyre from spec! I said neither, this vehicle has been always serviced by Concorde Mysore Road only. His solution - take it inside and get the offending fiber part ground off. Worked for some time, now the grinding noise is back again.
Old 5th August 2008, 11:22   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Perhaps Reducing the turning radius by a bit, so the tyres dont touch is a better option. This solution would have been the OEM alignment.
Perhaps if they could increase the turning radius at production!!!!

tatas have got the turning radius already gone for a six reducing it further will make driving parking in city an aggravated pain.

best would be to make proper observation and either go for further material removal of the offending part / panel or reduce tyre specs.
Old 5th August 2008, 12:27   #29
BHPian

NEW ISSUE: This one i have not found in any of the threads. The A/C blower makes a certain sound in S1. It resembles the sound of electric sparks. It is quite an irritating sound. It comes when the blower is working in S1 for more than 1/2 hr. Then if i shift to S2 / S3 the sound vanishes. (S-Speed). I will report this to the tass guy but i am sure on that day this sound will not be present
Old 5th August 2008, 12:56   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir11224 View Post
The klank sound on full steering is there, had enquired with the service guys, seems to be present on all Safaris, something to do with a protruding bolt it seems, wonder why they haven't been able to solve this.. anyone going for service could get this clarified please?
This sound has been there on my 3.0 and my cousin's 2.2 too since the day one.

TASS seems to have no solution to it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks