Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2008, 14:47   #151
Team-BHP Support

Yup, I do that.
When you move the ring clockwise, the interval between successive wipes reduces, if you move it anti-clockwise it increases.
Have observed this
Old 18th September 2008, 14:55   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Has anyone tried the different speeds for the intermittent wipe, and do they work ?

I cant make out any difference in the speed of the wiper if i change the selector as indicated in Pg 34 of the owners manual.

Any comments?
Works for me - increases & reduces the interval of the wipes.
Old 18th September 2008, 15:05   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Has anyone tried the different speeds for the intermittent wipe, and do they work ?

I cant make out any difference in the speed of the wiper if i change the selector as indicated in Pg 34 of the owners manual.

Any comments?
Works for me as well and are quite useful.
The timing setting is something that I have not got myself used to but the intermittent wipe work well as they are suppose to.
Old 18th September 2008, 15:27   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcanthisbe View Post
Got the 2nd / 15k service last week the
brake pads were split in half --- replaced under warranty

alternator was kaput ----replaced -- under warranty -- there is a recall out so safari owners(some) will be getting the letter from TATA
aha! this is what they called me for. I am yet to get it changed though.

Anyone else got a call?
Old 18th September 2008, 15:41   #155
BHPian

yes, it is right lot of grande(sumo) and safaris had alternator problems. And there was also a trouble with safaris steering column as per insiders.

What is the tyre life of a safari ? Will the front tires last more than 2 k ?
Old 18th September 2008, 15:56   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
LOL, I guess that was a typo & you meant 20k! If so, they will last well beyond 20k - my truck has completed almost 42k kms & the tyres will last at least another 10-15 k kms I think.
Old 18th September 2008, 17:05   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yes, it is right lot of grande(sumo) and safaris had alternator problems. And there was also a trouble with safaris steering column as per insiders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
LOL, I guess that was a typo & you meant 20k! If so, they will last well beyond 20k - my truck has completed almost 42k kms & the tyres will last at least another 10-15 k kms I think.
Should be a typo. 20k is easy. And about a lot of Grande and Safaris with alternator problem should be a rumor as non at TBHP faced this.
Old 18th September 2008, 18:25   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Should be a typo. 20k is easy. And about a lot of Grande and Safaris with alternator problem should be a rumor as non at TBHP faced this.
there http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/982627-post28.html

from dicor4x4's thread
Old 22nd September 2008, 00:37   #159
BHPian

Facing problem with the Tata Safari 2.2VTT fuel gauge--Kindly advice.

Hi All,

I drive a Tata Safari 2.2VTT, Pearl White, i have taken delivery in Nov 2007.

Brief History:-
I have run close to 23,000Kms on the beast and it runs like the breeze, however i have had my set of problems with the car, small niggles, also faced a huge issue with the damper pully failure, the vehicle just stopped in the midst of the high way without power steering and the battery light flashing, AC down so with other systems, had the car towed to a service station and repaired, they kept the vehicle for more than 9 days. Thankfully it happened 1km from a service centre, just a week before the incident i was traveling from goa to mumbai at 3am, god forbid if it would have happened at that time on a ghat segment i wouldn't be posting the issue here. Apart from that all's well.

Current Problem:-
i generally fill the tank from reserve to reserve on auto cut-off (just a practice i have got into to check the FE), i usually get 600Kms odd on the meter till the next fill is due. Since the last fill, and only 230Kms on the trip meter, i see the fuel gauge close to the reserve this morning, (only last evening i had seen the gauge indicating a little above the half way mark), i was running a small errand this morning after seeing the erratic behavior of the gauge i needed to park and get back to the vehicle within a span of an hour, i return to find the gauge showing a dead empty tank. i broke a cold sweat, not only of losing precious fuel (and that too worth 350Kms), but also of imagining myself pushing the beat to the nearest fuel bunk in the midst of 'Roza; . i started the car and drove off praying and on reaching the nearest fuel bunk filled her up by Rs500/- worth, ensuring that i reach home.

The minute i saw the error in the fuel gauge i did a quick inspection of the car, got down and checked the vehicle, especially the fuel tank area for any leaks, all i saw was a little condensation water from the AC unit, nothing else. i also checked the under the hood if i could find any evident problems, none so ever.

Advice Required:-
I am really surprised with the issue, it the first time that i have faced such situation. Need advice from you guys wether this is a one off situation or has someone faced something similar? Also wether this issue needs to be addressed urgently or can i conveniently take it the the Tata A.S.S. as per my convenience later this week (as in if you guys think its a Leak and that i could be stranded in the middle of the road).
I did take advise from my father in law (he is a mechanical engineer and runs a few workshops for ship engine overhauling) pertaining to the issue, he told me its not an issue to be worried about and that mostly its the fuse to the gauge that has blown.

Guys please put in your bits and bail me out of this one.

Thanks In advance.

Moderator's note: Merged with existing topic. Please use the search function before starting new threads.

Last edited by theMAG : 22nd September 2008 at 01:18.
Old 22nd September 2008, 09:05   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by obaidhakim View Post
Hi All,

I drive a Tata Safari 2.2VTT, Pearl White, i have taken delivery in Nov 2007.

Brief History:-
I have run close to 23,000Kms on the beast and it runs like the breeze,
however i have had my set of problems with the car, small niggles, also faced a huge issue with the damper pully failure,

[most of us got this changed after we got a call from Tata]

Current Problem:-
i generally fill the tank from reserve to reserve on auto cut-off (just a practice i have got into to check the FE), i usually get 600Kms odd on

The minute i saw the error in the fuel gauge i did a quick inspection of the car, got down and checked the vehicle, especially the fuel tank area for any leaks, all i saw was a little condensation water from the AC unit, nothing else. i also checked the under the hood if i could find any evident problems, none so ever.

Thanks In advance.

Moderator's note: Merged with existing topic. Please use the search function before starting new threads.
Should be a faulty meter. If it was a blown fuse, the meter wouldnt have worked at all.
Old 22nd September 2008, 10:28   #161
Senior - BHPian

Meter/ assembly in the tank is faulty, get it checked, but keep a manual tab on the remaining fuel in the tank.
Old 22nd September 2008, 11:09   #162
Senior - BHPian

An update on the Sqeeeking sound ;

On friday I took leave for some personal work but stole couple of hours to visit Concord Moters at Hosur road. I called the manager and explained the problem.The works manager Mr.Murlidharan told that he know what the problem is and it can be fixed in 10 mts.

I explained the problem and all the possible inputs I got from team-BHP to my surprise none of the people I talked at Concord Service Station were aware of team-BHP or atleast they told so.
I could not reproduce the problem over there but they told they know the problem and symptoms were exactly same Sqeeking noise and 'khat' while going up on full right turn. They adjusted the Steering Idler nuts and told this is due to unequal turn radi on both sides. I came back happy but to
my chagrin today morning ( monday ) on teh MLCP ramp I can hear the same squeek there is no associated 'khat' sound on the speadbraker bumps built on the ramps though.

I do not have energy once more to go to hosur road in bumper to bumper traffic , So will look out for some more time on how can I reproduce problem on smaller ramps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
i too have noticed it many a times, but i guess it is tire squeal coming down or going up a wind that is a parking lot driveway. this is particularly noticeable when the tire pressure is not optimum and speeds are a little on the higher side, that's what i have deduced, maybe the stock bridgestones produce a louder noise!
Old 22nd September 2008, 12:28   #163
BHPian

Alternator gone kaput

Quote:

I've faced this alternator issue.The batter light warning light came on all of sudden and the vehicle came to a dead stop ~ 1 hr after that.Got the alternator changed FOC.Mine is March 2008 vehicle.
Old 22nd September 2008, 15:04   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
A family friend of ours has a 2.2 done 6000kms(few months old). The timing belt snapped, and lot of work had to be done. Car was in workshop for almost a week.
Any idea why did timing belt snap on a new vehicle?
Either poor workmanship, or the belt was a dud (bad individual belt)
Old 23rd September 2008, 09:53   #165
Senior - BHPian

Abu, can you try revving in neutral and without pressing the clutch once the engine is warm enough, as per below post by tsk.

I have done this twice after i noticed the hiccup/ gasp and then the black smoke puff after it and the behaviour disappears after revving.(for a week or so atleast)

I have filled normal diesel from 2 different IOC pumps but it didnt help. Now I am planning to change to HP.

If the fuel change doesnt help I am suspecting the boost control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Tata owners manual recommends revving at full throttle in idle once a day to keep cat con healthy. I do this occaisonally. Just rev her up to 3500-4000rpm a couple of times in neutral
Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
I too have this gasping problem, had reported it earlier, it is there even now, had made a complain to tass twice and got the fuel line checked, they haven't been able to fix it and I am living with the sudden jerk once in a while.

My observation is that the jerks come at low rpm when the engine is moderately warm, not immediately on a cold start nor after covering some 2-3 km, occurs mostly in second gear, about to accelerate and engage third, that's the exact behavior in my case everytime. The same may be present while coasting on 5th too but am not sure if it is the same thing as the gasp is very feeble or even may be imaginary perhaps.

This thread is turning out very useful, thanks to Dadu.

cheers:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks