Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2008, 14:12   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Drove to Tirupati last weekend, and to my charaign, on reaching the holy city, found that the rear tailgate's gas damper came off the 'pin' on the bottom of the hatch, and poked its way into the rear bumper.

I have a broken and misaligned rear bumper, and a tailgate that refuses to stay put when open!!!

Question: Is the damper expected to come off so easy ?
Update: Got the 'gas damper' as they call it, replaced at Concorde today. Costs 525/-

I was told that there is a pin-lock that holds the damper in place on the ball-socket. If you look closely there is a collar on the damper socket on which this pin lock sits and goes around the collar and into the socket. Is very easy to be pulled off while cleaning and can get snagged in a cloth.

Use caution while cleaning the tailgate, esp when you get it pressure washed.
Old 26th September 2008, 14:54   #182
BHPian

dadu, your vehicle also has this gasping problem?
yes, if we can go collectively they'd be more willing to listen instead of going individually and fighting over it to convince them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
So now we have 3 safari's reporting it, I would suggest waiting till we have 5 such Safari "hiccups" reported, more the merrier.
Old 26th September 2008, 15:13   #183
Senior - BHPian

Yes, but its only once in a while and that too on cold engine.

I want it to become more frequent and visible, then I dont need to fight with them and I am optimistic that by my 1st service, it will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
dadu, your vehicle also has this gasping problem?
yes, if we can go collectively they'd be more willing to listen instead of going individually and fighting over it to convince them.
Old 26th September 2008, 16:52   #184
Senior - BHPian

Ok yet another update after one week , Yesterday I drove my safari full of guests and the sqeeking sound f was very much audible from right side on turns over potholes. This is definately not a tyre sound but sounds more like a heavy spring being released and I could not hear from left. Most of the time I drive alone or with just with one person so this was never tested before. The other problem of khat is definately solved with adjustment of idler nuts.

Dadu , Tsk and other what do you suggest , Should I go immediatly to TASS or wait for some more noise to be audible so that they can not deny it.

Apart from the queeking noise yesterday in OVRM I saw a small puff of black smoke at lower gear for about 2 seconds, This is after I did a tankful at BP petrol pump I am using normal Deisel , Should I add system D ?

On a side note I was really surprised when last week Concord people I talked to pretended they do not know about team-BHP , Do you think it is really possible ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Update on the Sqeek / khat when fully turning right on bump / ramp after 2 days of getting steering idler adjustment done.

(1) Turn radius is smaller now and it is easier to take U turn on my Safari

I was always thinking that 6 Meter turn radius is too big without actually knowing how big should it be. so ignoring inconvinence in taking U turn till now. As per works manager this problem is quite frequent in 2.2 version so we may add this to PDI checklist.

It just 10 min job and needs adjustment of steering idler nuts equally in both directions with a spanner.

(2) Now the sqeek and khat on smaller humps when steering is turned fully right on moderatly high speed has disappeared.

(3) On fairly high winding ramps ( like MLCP) with speed above 20 KM the sqeeking sound is there but no khat sound while hitting the ramp.

I am not fully satisfied as the sqeek in (3) is there only on right side and not on left if this is a tyre sqeek it should be equal on both sides.

Last edited by amitk26 : 26th September 2008 at 16:56.
Old 26th September 2008, 17:03   #185
Senior - BHPian

As long as you can reproduce the sound, ask them to seat their technicians etc, you can go anytime you want.

Quote:
Dadu , Tsk and other what do you suggest , Should I go immediatly to TASS or wait for some more noise to be audible so that they can not deny it.
I think we have another reported "Hiccup" Safari here. Just watch out for any reoccurance you will feel a gap in acceleration and then immediately look in your ORVM, a small puff of smoke.

Quote:
Apart from the queeking noise yesterday in OVRM I saw a small puff of black smoke at lower gear for about 2 seconds, This is after I did a tankful at BP petrol pump I am using normal Deisel , Should I add system D ?
This also means that the hiccup problem will be seen more by ppl driving primarily in the cities and not doing frequent highway runs (that clear the EGR ).

Last edited by dadu : 26th September 2008 at 17:13.
Old 29th September 2008, 10:49   #186
BHPian

Dadu/ srini - did you guys get the alternator switch updated????
Old 29th September 2008, 11:04   #187
Senior - BHPian

No, as I understood it was for some specific batch and I did not get a call from anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_07 View Post
Old 29th September 2008, 11:49   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_07 View Post
Nope. I did not get a call for the alternator replacement. Asked the SA at Concorde about it, and they feigned ignorance about it.

On a side note, I asked the SA to do a ECU reset on my car when I took it last week, so he pulls out his laptop, connects it to the ecu, and checks for errors, clears the errors ( something about glowplug ), and says everything is normal, and no reset required.

either these guys are mis-informed or dont want to accept that customers may know some technical details that they dont!

They dont want to do the battery disconnect as it interferes with the remote locking ? Anyone can throw some light on this ?
Old 29th September 2008, 11:54   #189
Senior - BHPian

Concorde Mysore Rd did it without anything, just removed the battery terminal and back on after few minutes. Unlock the door before you do it, the ECU remembers the last postion of the alarm system.

You got that right because barely 1% of the people coming for servicing are technically aware.

Quote:
Nope. I did not get a call for the alternator replacement. Asked the SA at Concorde about it, and they feigned ignorance about it.

On a side note, I asked the SA to do a ECU reset on my car when I took it last week, so he pulls out his laptop, connects it to the ecu, and checks for errors, clears the errors ( something about glowplug ), and says everything is normal, and no reset required.

either these guys are mis-informed or dont want to accept that customers may know some technical details that they dont!

They dont want to do the battery disconnect as it interferes with the remote locking ? Anyone can throw some light on this ?
Old 30th September 2008, 11:55   #190
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for dignosing this Dadu and also you are right the Safari is my office commute vehical , I know you are a wizard but just how you found that this Safari is primarily city driven in last 2 months of ownership with out me telling anything.

Ok now the question is what is there in store for me if no action is taken on the EGR issue ? Please pardon my ignorence as this is my first ever Diesel. I am planning to go for long run on upcoming holiday would this clear the EGR valve automatically ?

I do a full throttle in neutral gear once a week as recommended in manual and drive at around 90 - 100 kmph for about 3/4 Km in night while returning everyday is this sufficient to clear EGR or just for catalytic convertor and EGR needs longer highspeed hauls on highway.

Quote:
As long as you can reproduce the sound, ask them to seat their technicians etc, you can go anytime you want.

I think we have another reported "Hiccup" Safari here. Just watch out for any reoccurance you will feel a gap in acceleration and then immediately look in your ORVM, a small puff of smoke.

This also means that the hiccup problem will be seen more by ppl driving primarily in the cities and not doing frequent highway runs (that clear the EGR ).
Old 30th September 2008, 12:28   #191
Senior - BHPian

I am no wizard, but studying the people reporting it and not reporting it and matching it with my own usage made me deduce the environment under which these symptoms occur.

Dont worry its not a show stopper, carry on with your journey. I'll reiterate the symptoms and break-fix actions as per my knowledge.

Symptoms:

- Hiccups, flat power delivery, gasps at around 1300-1400 rpm and speeds around 20-25kmph.
- Mostly in 2nd gear(for me) and primarily during upshift from 1st to 2nd at turns/ pickup.
- Engine has not reached its optimum operating temperature (cold engine)
- Small puffs of black smoke are accompanied with the above.

Current Diagnosis:

- Soot formation over the EGR Valve
- Could be also related to ECU mapping for Cold engine which will make the engine run rich till warm. (dont have OBD tools, can't diagnose further on this aspect)

Current remedy(IMO):

- Highway runs will clear the carbon deposits/ soot
- In the city run the engine in 2nd gear between 3.0-3.5k RPM for apprx 500mtrs or more (symptoms will not reoccur for few days atleast).

I am still on it and will appreciate if anyone going on a T.A.S.S visit asks them to plugin the OBD tool and check for these error codes P0400, P0401 P0402 P0403 P0404 P0405 P0406 P0407 P0408.

Infact any error code feedback will be appreciated. EGR is tricky to troubleshoot.

Quote:
Thanks for dignosing this Dadu and also you are right the Safari is my office commute vehical , I know you are a wizard but just how you found that this Safari is primarily city driven in last 2 months of ownership with out me telling anything.

Ok now the question is what is there in store for me if no action is taken on the EGR issue ? Please pardon my ignorence as this is my first ever Diesel. I am planning to go for long run on upcoming holiday would this clear the EGR valve automatically ?

I do a full throttle in neutral gear once a week as recommended in manual and drive at around 90 - 100 kmph for about 3/4 Km in night while returning everyday is this sufficient to clear EGR or just for catalytic convertor and EGR needs longer highspeed hauls on highway.

Last edited by dadu : 30th September 2008 at 12:30.
Old 30th September 2008, 13:06   #192
Team-BHP Support

You can do what owners manual says.
When engine is warm. Rev to the limit for a couple of seconds, 2-3 bursts.
I do this every 50-100kms or so since in city high speed 100kmph blast is not really possible to do often.
Old 1st October 2008, 20:09   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Drove to Tirupati last weekend, and to my charaign, on reaching the holy city, found that the rear tailgate's gas damper came off the 'pin' on the bottom of the hatch, and poked its way into the rear bumper.

I have a broken and misaligned rear bumper, and a tailgate that refuses to stay put when open!!!

Question: Is the damper expected to come off so easy ?
I had this problem within the 1st 3 months itself. I refixed the gas damper using teflon tape (the kind you use in plumbing). Just loose fitting - nothing else.
P.S: Yes, the damper can come off easily.
Old 1st October 2008, 20:25   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Abu, some people will suggest a valve cleanup but since the safari is still under warranty, insist for an EGR valve replacement, IMO this will resolve 2 problems, this and the "krrr" noise.

ECU remap option will be difficult unless more Safari's report this problem and provided they have not changed the EGR valves in their later batches.

Hope this helps resolve.
EGR valve replacement will NOT solve the problem of Krr noise unless a ECU (modified) map also happens.

I read somewhere else on this forum that an alternator change had resulted in the Krr noise disappearing.

I think that the regulator contact on the slip ring of the alternator should be cleaned or the regulator itself should be changed for the Krr noise. BUT in a new vehicle with warranty it seems to be difficult proposition...... The alternator output maybe playing truant. In my Sierra the regulator was Rs. 400 item.

You may try changing the airfilter (not clean) for the Gasp problem. May be too much rich mixture is going in.

Last edited by kingshukt : 1st October 2008 at 20:38.
Old 1st October 2008, 20:34   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Battery disconnect procedure is mentioned in the manual (I think it is negative terminal 1st). Please unlock the vehicle with the remote and then do the battery disconnect.

Wait for ~ 15 minutes and then reconnect the battery in the reverse order. If the vehicle is not unlocked before battery disconnect you be stuck with a immobilised vehicle and will wake up the neighbours with the alarm sounding and not be able to do anything other than disconnect the horns.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks