Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2008, 13:55   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaxy View Post
NEW ISSUE: This one i have not found in any of the threads. The A/C blower makes a certain sound in S1. It resembles the sound of electric sparks. It is quite an irritating sound. It comes when the blower is working in S1 for more than 1/2 hr. Then if i shift to S2 / S3 the sound vanishes. (S-Speed). I will report this to the tass guy but i am sure on that day this sound will not be present
Hehe, so your truck has that sound. My indica had this, and they were not able to fix it. Recently while doing short repair, it was discovered that its the "Temperature controled cutout". When the ambient temp is not very high such the AC cuts out frequently, this would give sparking sound. Ask them to replace the "Temperature controlled cutout".
To test this you have to idle the truck in cool weather at1st blower setting. This will cause the AC compressor to switch off quickly since the cabin temperature will fall quickly.
Old 5th August 2008, 15:08   #32
BHPian

Tsk, now i really like this thread! thanks for the info, i will keep this thread updated after i get back from TASS.
Old 5th August 2008, 15:45   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Had appeared a couple of months back, after first service. Went to Concorde, Mysore Road. The inside of the tyre was rubbing against the fiber cover of the shocker (in the wheel well). Service guy's explanation: Either modification for achieving tighter turn () or change of tyre from spec! I said neither, this vehicle has been always serviced by Concorde Mysore Road only. His solution - take it inside and get the offending fiber part ground off. Worked for some time, now the grinding noise is back again.
Thats funny - I dont seem to have this issue with 7J alloys and 255 tyres...or is it because of the minor surgery we did to accomodate these wheels and tyres?
Old 5th August 2008, 15:57   #34
BHPian

2.2 momentary power loss

I own a March 2008 Safari and it has done ~ 12 K running.
Of late I've been facing this strange issue: At around 1500 rpm (in 2/3rd gear) the engine kind of gasps for breath.It lasts for a second or two and then goes away.Does it have something to do with the turbo lag or it's anything else ?

Also I wanted to know what's the engine RPM band you guys keep while downshifting ? (esp from 3rd to 2nd).

Thanks,
rb2399
Old 5th August 2008, 16:03   #35
Team-BHP Support

The Air filter is choked, check the indicator on the air filter box.
I downshift from 3rd to second around 30kmph, upshift is at 40kmph
Old 5th August 2008, 16:12   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
Of late I've been facing this strange issue: At around 1500 rpm (in 2/3rd gear) the engine kind of gasps for breath.It lasts for a second or two and then goes away.Does it have something to do with the turbo lag or it's anything else ?

Also I wanted to know what's the engine RPM band you guys keep while downshifting ? (esp from 3rd to 2nd).

Thanks,
rb2399
I've experienced this.

Sending the car for 2nd service tomorrow. Will update once I get it back. Not sure if it is due to airfilter. Had it cleaned about 3 weeks back, after which i did a 1k run to hyderabad and back.

does it get choked so frequently ? Shld I be seeing some other signs of a choked air filter ?

Will check the indicator that TSK mentioned.
Old 5th August 2008, 16:49   #37
BHPian

I also do not think it's an air filter issue (got it cleaned around a month back and have not done much of running since then).

I wanted to know the RPM range for the downshift from 3rd to 2nd.

The Steering hissing noise is very much there in my case also and I've been told by the TASS not to worry about it.

On cold starts,I see the RPM needle at 900 rpm and then settles to 875 odd after few seconds.Is this normal ? Is the engine warming itself to reach to a stable idling speed ?

On a side note,I have shifted to Delo-400 and the engine has become much more rev happy (earlier used Delvac MX) & smoother as well.

Thanks,
rb2399
Old 5th August 2008, 20:22   #38
Senior - BHPian

I have seen this behaviour once in a while in my safari too, but havent been able to catch the nerve for diagnosis.

Its like a millisecond of gasp, usually in 3rd under slow moving traffic, speeds around 40ish. The VTT also blips and you can see a puff of smoke from the tail (ROVRM).

Can you confirm if its the same, with a puff of smoke.

IMO, its an ECU map thing for VTT under low rpm's, not too sure though.

Someone else also had reported this earlier like a missing thing, dont remember who !!.

Quote:

Thanks,
rb2399
Old 5th August 2008, 20:26   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I have seen this behaviour once in a while in my safari too, but havent been able to catch the nerve for diagnosis.

Its like a millisecond of gasp, usually in 3rd under slow moving traffic, speeds around 40ish. The VTT also blips and you can see a puff of smoke from the tail (ROVRM).

Can you confirm if its the same, with a puff of smoke.

IMO, its an ECU map thing for VTT under low rpm's, not too sure though.

Someone else also had reported this earlier like a missing thing, dont remember who !!.
Mine is a Jan-2008 and never faced such kind of a problem n my vehicle and we drived at these speeds and gear without any gasping.
Old 5th August 2008, 22:52   #40
BHPian

nice thread......,help us know our safari better.
thanx Dadu.
Old 6th August 2008, 09:11   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
On a side note,I have shifted to Delo-400 and the engine has become much more rev happy (earlier used Delvac MX) & smoother as well.

Thanks,
rb2399
Where do you get the oil changed. does your TASS allow outside oils?
Old 6th August 2008, 10:13   #42
BHPian

Initially they were reluctant to do so. They wanted me to stick to either Castrol/HP.I had a hard time convincing the service engineer at TASS.After my explanation regarding superior nature of either Delvac MX/Delo-400 (both of these are CI-4 & CI-4 Plus respectively, whereas 2.2 needs CH-4),they budged .

Thanks,
rb2399
Old 6th August 2008, 10:47   #43
Senior - BHPian

IMO, it happens at the threshold between 2nd/3rd gear ratios when the RPM's are low and you dont downshift to 2nd. The VTT tries to retain the powerband but fails (hence the gasp/smoke puff's).

No conclusion though, its still under observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Mine is a Jan-2008 and never faced such kind of a problem n my vehicle and we drived at these speeds and gear without any gasping.
Old 6th August 2008, 12:12   #44
BHPian

Steering Rattling

Mine is an Oct'07 2.2 ltr Vxi 4x4. Since day one I have a peculiar sound/vibration coming from the steering wheel. It does not happens always. It happens only when one goes over a particular type of rough road. Example - Some of the malls/road have converted cat-eyes into speedbrakers. They are basically 4/5 rows of cat-eyes horizontally arcross. When my car goes over it I can feel the vibration/movement on the steering wheel, along with a mild rattling noise. The feeling is on the steering wheel. I have taken it to Dhingra Motors at Gurgaon at least 5 times. The have changed the steering rod twice, but it still does not go. I love the vehicle, but this is one thing that is irritating me.

Dadu can you PLEASE help me here. What is the problem??

Is there a better service centre in Gurgaon then Dhingra Motors? Can someone please give me their number?

How can I pull the Tata Motors guys in Gurgaon? Can anyone give me their number and contact persons name?

I am at my wits end. My Safari was with Dhingra Motors for 3 full days. They have returned the same with any work done.

HELP. I NEED SOMEBODY (new service centre/Tata customer care head in Gurgaon) HELP NOT JUST ANYBODY. HEELP.
Old 6th August 2008, 12:57   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please post your experience with Delo 400 compared to Delvac MX ?

As i am using Delvac MX and its better than the oils used by TASS at least.

Will be interested to try Delo-400 based on your experience as you have used both of them.

thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks