Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2008, 12:16   #166
Senior - BHPian

Update on the Sqeek / khat when fully turning right on bump / ramp after 2 days of getting steering idler adjustment done.

(1) Turn radius is smaller now and it is easier to take U turn on my Safari

I was always thinking that 6 Meter turn radius is too big without actually knowing how big should it be. so ignoring inconvinence in taking U turn till now. As per works manager this problem is quite frequent in 2.2 version so we may add this to PDI checklist.

It just 10 min job and needs adjustment of steering idler nuts equally in both directions with a spanner.

(2) Now the sqeek and khat on smaller humps when steering is turned fully right on moderatly high speed has disappeared.

(3) On fairly high winding ramps ( like MLCP) with speed above 20 KM the sqeeking sound is there but no khat sound while hitting the ramp.

I am not fully satisfied as the sqeek in (3) is there only on right side and not on left if this is a tyre sqeek it should be equal on both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
An update on the Sqeeeking sound ;

On friday I took leave for some personal work but stole couple of hours to visit Concord Moters at Hosur road. I called the manager and explained the problem.The works manager Mr.Murlidharan told that he know what the problem is and it can be fixed in 10 mts.

I explained the problem and all the possible inputs I got from team-BHP to my surprise none of the people I talked at Concord Service Station were aware of team-BHP or atleast they told so.
I could not reproduce the problem over there but they told they know the problem and symptoms were exactly same Sqeeking noise and 'khat' while going up on full right turn. They adjusted the Steering Idler nuts and told this is due to unequal turn radi on both sides. I came back happy but to
my chagrin today morning ( monday ) on teh MLCP ramp I can hear the same squeek there is no associated 'khat' sound on the speadbraker bumps built on the ramps though.

I do not have energy once more to go to hosur road in bumper to bumper traffic , So will look out for some more time on how can I reproduce problem on smaller ramps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yup, I do that.
When you move the ring clockwise, the interval between successive wipes reduces, if you move it anti-clockwise it increases.
Have observed this
Thanks to you I noticed this feature today , I read the mannual but overlooked this useful part earlier and was not happy with the default wiper speed.

Last edited by amitk26 : 23rd September 2008 at 12:18.
Old 23rd September 2008, 23:00   #167
Senior - BHPian

Tailgate stay damper broke!

Drove to Tirupati last weekend, and to my charaign, on reaching the holy city, found that the rear tailgate's gas damper came off the 'pin' on the bottom of the hatch, and poked its way into the rear bumper.

I have a broken and misaligned rear bumper, and a tailgate that refuses to stay put when open!!!

Question: Is the damper expected to come off so easy ?
Old 24th September 2008, 08:55   #168
BHPian

Dicor 2.2

Does any one have the service light indicator comming on? When I press the accelerator the service lights blips up and loss of power in engine..Concorde guys havent been able to fix this yet..from the day one I bought the vehicle..guess its an electric connection issue when I jump into a pot hole this goes away..sounds strange aint it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
This is a collection of all known issues/ Niggles/ Problems with the safari 2.2l, along with the solutions. Please keep adding as it will act as a single repository. Thanks Aburagohain for this suggestion.

Fluid hose burst, This was reported by Aburagohain.

The klank sound upon full steering turn has been noticed by many, some say it goes away with time.
By Aburagohain:
The Crankshaft pulley assembly/ damper assembly change
The Crankshaft pulley assembly/ damper assembly was reported by me and replaced in some pre-march Safari 2.2l's. The problem found was that the belt will get off the pulley stranding the whole vehicle. They came out with a modified spare and was replaced in some batches. No worry for March/ post march production/ sales, IMO.
Krrrr sound upon instant pickup
The Most notorious of them is the 'Krrrr' sound which one used to get upon sudden pickup from any of the gears except 1st. Most pre-June batches have this sound and some reportedly say that it goes away after a certain run.
By Aburagohain:
Can people who have run more than 10k support this claim, JKdas ??? Smsrini??? others??

Windshield Wiper Tank Leakage
The Leakage of Windshield wiper tank was also reported by me, just get the tank changed under warranty if you find water levels down within 3-4 days of topup.
Old 24th September 2008, 09:14   #169
Senior - BHPian

Shouldnt be, unless it went through a shock or a heavy weight was put on it while door was open.
Old 24th September 2008, 09:25   #170
BHPian

Friends 2 questions:

1. Did any of you get the alternator switch updated at TASS??? I got a call from Manipal last week, but wasn't in town to have the car sent for an update

2. Strange but true - while I was driving, the "cap" of the overhead indoor lamp just popped down. I could not help laughing. I am unable to fix it back, though I do not see any physical damages on the cap.
Old 24th September 2008, 10:14   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalsu View Post
Does any one have the service light indicator comming on? When I press the accelerator the service lights blips up and loss of power in engine..Concorde guys havent been able to fix this yet..from the day one I bought the vehicle..guess its an electric connection issue when I jump into a pot hole this goes away..sounds strange aint it!
@Kalsu, did you ask them to check all the sensors for looseness and also an ECU reset ??

Usually they should plug their laptop in and then it should be easy to detect which error is making the service light glow, did they try this.
Old 24th September 2008, 12:56   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Not sure if its the same problem
I had this problem in my bolero GLX two years ago,it used to give out this squeaking sound whenever steering was turned fully,the problem was related to tightening of some belt in power steering assembly.
hey guys,

a couple of months ago i had the same cracking noise from the right side of the front wheel - except that it grew from an irritating click to a full blown 'clunk thunk' sort of noise in 2 days. it got to the point that people from outside would comment on the noise if i was turning right / backing in to park by a kerb etc.

to cut a long story short, i pretty much wet myself and called TASS. the safari went in for 30 mins and i was told that a locking pin on the steering arm had to be replaced (done under warranty)

the sound has not come back (touchwood) but i must admit, i do take full lock right turns with much trepidation to this day. the hissing sound seems to be par for the course for safaris and my two bits would be to not worry about it as long as you don't INDULGE in it when at standstill for too long.

cheers guys. stay safe.
Old 24th September 2008, 14:34   #173
BHPian

Thanks Dadu, will try that revving as TSK has written, mine is pretty frequent, on cold starts for the initial period, maybe I park in a cooler place in the office, get this particular gasp often, that too mostly at a particular distance out of office in the eve..

Do not bother trying HP out, I have been with HP from the beginning, keep switching between turbo and normal whatever is available at the pump near my office, so HP fuel is not going to solve this gasp problem if you have it i guess.

What is boost control in the safari, could you elaborate on it please? My vehicle is nearing 10K, I am still not able to decide whether I should go for a voluntary oil change or not as the oil still has some shine to it, any suggestions? Need to visit the SS sometime soon anyway, the peripheral noises are threatening to drown the stereo sound of late after some extensive bad road driving at speed. What about the alternator recall, not many yet looks like, will have to enquire with service when I go there, will update here later.

@Amit
Maybe the fact that you are turning in and out of MLCP on a right turn would explain no sound from left, try a different parking lot where you turn in opposite direction, sitting on the co-passenger side should help to hear properly on the left side squeal if there is any.. the forum parking lot is left turning if I remember correctly.
Old 24th September 2008, 14:41   #174
Team-BHP Support

In bangalore traffic 7500kms service interval is recommended.
The owners manual clearly says service every 15000kms or every 7500kms for Mountain driving and mostly city driving.
I am planning to get second service at around 8000kms, and subsequent services every 10-12K kms thereafter
Old 24th September 2008, 15:16   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
Thanks Dadu, will try that revving as TSK has written, mine is pretty frequent, on cold starts for the initial period, maybe I park in a cooler place in the office, get this particular gasp often, that too mostly at a particular distance out of office in the eve..
Try revving once the engine is warm. Not before that.

Quote:
Do not bother trying HP out, I have been with HP from the beginning, keep switching between turbo and normal whatever is available at the pump near my office, so HP fuel is not going to solve this gasp problem if you have it i guess.
okay thanx, saves my effort

Quote:
What is boost control in the safari, could you elaborate on it please? My vehicle is nearing 10K, I am still not able to decide whether I should go for a voluntary oil change or not as the oil still has some shine to it, any suggestions? Need to visit the SS sometime soon anyway, the peripheral noises are threatening to drown the stereo sound of late after some extensive bad road driving at speed. What about the alternator recall, not many yet looks like, will have to enquire with service when I go there, will update here later.
Boost control is not particular to safari but all TC'ed engines, the ECU calculates, in reference to the load indication, the pressure and the currently needed air - volume and adjusts the appropriate boost based on the data sent by the sensor.

Why I am referring to boost is because I noticed that the turbo spins slightly to provide the extra power under low rpm's and then the engine gasps. Could be a mapping problem or the mechanical part itself.

As TSK suggested better to change oil earlier than the 15k limit in the cities, anywhere between 7.5k-10k should be reasonable.
Old 24th September 2008, 15:25   #176
BHPian

Thanks TSK and Dadu.

I also have noticed a crack in the central console cover, near the AC vents, do you think these kind of things are covered in the warranty at all? There have been no inputs from my own to make that crack I should declare beforehand
Old 24th September 2008, 15:39   #177
Team-BHP Support

It will be covered under warranty. Just put pressure on the service center people.
Old 25th September 2008, 09:38   #178
Senior - BHPian

Did some extreme searching and found some more instances of this peculiar "hiccup" in other brands and international CRDI models.

First found instance was for KIA motors wherein all their Ceéd SW 1.6 models were affected in UK. They came out with an ECU remap KIA Bulletin number(TSB):- FF001/AS28, with the remap the EGR valve doesn't open as much as before, so more "clean/fresh" air is used. Unfortunately it didnt work for all and now they are working towards a Ver2 of the ECU map.

Second found instances was for Alpha Romeo 2.4 JTD (yes, you read it right), the chief mechanic of Alpha Romeo dealer told a quick solution after a test drive, "Aah, that'll be the EGR valve sooting up, then - you need to drop down a gear or two and let the revs rise for a minute or two beyond 3k - this should clear it". But I doubt its a permanent one.

It's usually when the turbo starts to spin and the fuel injection is starting inject a bit more fuel. It only happens in a certain rpm with a "specific" throttle "travel", also termed as "Injection point". The problem is caused by the incorrect operation of the EGR valve by the ECU.

Abu, some people will suggest a valve cleanup but since the safari is still under warranty, insist for an EGR valve replacement, IMO this will resolve 2 problems, this and the "krrr" noise.

ECU remap option will be difficult unless more Safari's report this problem and provided they have not changed the EGR valves in their later batches.

Hope this helps resolve.

Last edited by dadu : 25th September 2008 at 09:42.
Old 25th September 2008, 14:22   #179
Senior - BHPian

Hiccup!

I've experienced the hiccup a couple of times in the last month. I dont remember the exact rpm/speed/temp when it happened, but am sure

-it was in the morning,
-after about 5min of a cold start i.e. ColdStart, 30sec idle, drive up the basement ramp, turn, accelerate.
-while accelerating in 2nd or 3rd gear.

I think we should write to TML ( supportsouth@tatamotors.com ) and seek clarification. If the same 2.2 is the engine for the Xover and the 2010 Safari, they will surely be willing to listen.

cheers!
Old 25th September 2008, 17:21   #180
Senior - BHPian

So now we have 3 safari's reporting it, I would suggest waiting till we have 5 such Safari "hiccups" reported, more the merrier.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks