Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2008, 13:21   #46
Senior - BHPian

Are you sure its the Steering assembly and not something else being transferred from the front chasis to the steering wheel.

Reason : Its seen when you go over a certain rough patch like a rumbler.

IMO, get the Ider arms checked (tightened) as its a known issue (read the thread). Contact Suman for getting better service from Dhingra, it seems by taking his name, things work in Dhingra.

Anyways, its Safari thread for safari owners, others please post if you are aware of this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
Mine is an Oct'07 2.2 ltr Vxi 4x4. Since day one I have a peculiar sound/vibration coming from the steering wheel. It does not happens always. It happens only when one goes over a particular type of rough road.

Dadu can you PLEASE help me here. What is the problem??
Old 6th August 2008, 13:33   #47
Senior - BHPian

Krr krr is still there. New ECU is waiting for me and I will report after I get it.

Thanks to rain NH is in a bad state and I happen to be on a Safari and dont slow down for small potholes or humps. On my return trip from Vagamon I gear a noise, almost like what you hear when you shake a key chain with lot of keys. It was no existent when you roll up the windows. One I reached my co-bro's home I got down on my kneess and checked under body and found loose nut on a linkage that connects the steering. (Not sure about the part's name,will try to post pix ).

Co-bro said a rubber bush had given way and hence there was a space and hence the rings used to tighnen made the noise. It was fixed by using a Indica's bush.
Old 6th August 2008, 13:38   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Thats funny - I dont seem to have this issue with 7J alloys and 255 tyres...or is it because of the minor surgery we did to accomodate these wheels and tyres?
Possibly the minor surgery took care of that. The trailing edge of inside of the wheel touches otherwise. I have not got any modifications done, and I am running stock tyres on steel rims.
Old 6th August 2008, 13:56   #49
Team-BHP Support

Country road, I am also facing this steering rattle. It went away after they tightened some stuff, but its come back now.
After a thousand kms or so I plan to visit sector 63 noida and see if they can fix the issue.
Old 6th August 2008, 14:19   #50
BHPian

It's been nearly 3000 kms since I switched over to Delo.The immediate difference is that the engine is kind of more "open" to high revs.Also the engine noise has reduced to some extent.

As per Gurkha (Who's an Oil expert IMO), these two oils come very close to Synthetic at a fraction of cost.

Somehow the fineness was lacking in Delvac MX which I feel with Delo-400.Maybe it's untrue or more psychological,but that's the way it is.

The change intervals do not differ much I think.I plan to change Delo at around 7500 kms.
Old 6th August 2008, 14:53   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Country road, I am also facing this steering rattle. It went away after they tightened some stuff, but its come back now.
After a thousand kms or so I plan to visit sector 63 noida and see if they can fix the issue.
tsk1979, Yup. I guess its the same thing. Each time it came from the workshop the rattle goes for a day and then it is back. I have already done 13 K km. But no solution till date.
Country Road is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2008, 15:00   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Alternators are getting replaced

Shishir got a call from tata saying that they are replacing the alternator for all safaris. Now its not clear, if all are getting replaced or all from a particular batch.
Asked Concorde Hosur Road, today, about this and got a nice story of only vehicles in TN having this issue. So I asked him if it had anything to do with either of the political bigwigs there!! Next I asked if they had any information about a specific batch of vehicles requiring the replacement, - and was told that they cant give out the information.

Shishir, if yours is a bangalore vehicle, would you mind sharing which dealer sent you the replacement notice ?
Old 6th August 2008, 15:56   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Road View Post
Mine is an Oct'07 2.2 ltr Vxi 4x4. Since day one I have a peculiar sound/vibration coming from the steering wheel. It does not happens always. It happens only when one goes over a particular type of rough road. Example - Some of the malls/road have converted cat-eyes into speedbrakers. They are basically 4/5 rows of cat-eyes horizontally arcross. When my car goes over it I can feel the vibration/movement on the steering wheel, along with a mild rattling noise. The feeling is on the steering wheel. I have taken it to Dhingra Motors at Gurgaon at least 5 times. The have changed the steering rod twice, but it still does not go. I love the vehicle, but this is one thing that is irritating me.
Ask them to check the lock on the steering tilt mechanism. Before that, you can find out for yourself if the steering tilt lock is the problem - if you get the sound over small bumps/cats eyes, go over similar terrain holding the locking mechanism down (do this on an empty road as your steering column is now movable!) - if there is no noise in this scenario, the locking mechanism is the problem. It is a relatively minor issue to take care of and you dont need to take the car in just for this - they can take care of this during the next service.
Old 6th August 2008, 19:09   #54
BHPian

Great Thread!!

Damper Pulley: Yes got it changed. Retro fit done. no pains no issues excellent service. No charge

Wiper Tank leak: actually the problem I think is the motors that run are quiete good but sometimes due to particles in the tanks the pipe might get clogged and come off. Had taken the GHOST to the service station I suggested the guy to put metal clamps on both the nozels, works like a dream now no leakage.

Right Tire pressure: 30psi front 35psi rear stick to this as I think somehow when i experimented with tyre pressure and went with against what was suggested by the sticker on the door the ride wasnt comfortable.

Else all well and RECLAMING !! [not actually sitting in front of the office PC and working my a** off]

Last edited by JUDA : 6th August 2008 at 19:10.
Old 7th August 2008, 22:36   #55
BHPian

I too have this gasping problem, had reported it earlier, it is there even now, had made a complain to tass twice and got the fuel line checked, they haven't been able to fix it and I am living with the sudden jerk once in a while.

My observation is that the jerks come at low rpm when the engine is moderately warm, not immediately on a cold start nor after covering some 2-3 km, occurs mostly in second gear, about to accelerate and engage third, that's the exact behavior in my case everytime. The same may be present while coasting on 5th too but am not sure if it is the same thing as the gasp is very feeble or even may be imaginary perhaps.

This thread is turning out very useful, thanks to Dadu.

cheers:
Old 8th August 2008, 00:12   #56
Team-BHP Support

The owners manual has detailed instructions on how to change Head light, used that and changed bulbs to Osram.
IT also has instructions on what to do when the water in sedimenter light comes on. Is that also supposed to be DIY or are you supposed to go to TASS. How much time after which the light comes, and how many kms can you drive after it comes on.
Draining sedimenter seems pretty straight forward though.
Old 8th August 2008, 11:41   #57
Senior - BHPian

I concur with you, yet to see this behaviour once the engine is warm enough and at normal operating temp.

Thanks to your idea, I am just a medium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
My observation is that the jerks come at low rpm when the engine is moderately warm, not immediately on a cold start nor after covering some 2-3 km, occurs mostly in second gear, about to accelerate and engage third, that's the exact behavior in my case everytime. The same may be present while coasting on 5th too but am not sure if it is the same thing as the gasp is very feeble or even may be imaginary perhaps.

This thread is turning out very useful, thanks to Dadu.

cheers:
Old 8th August 2008, 13:41   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Ask them to check the lock on the steering tilt mechanism. Before that, you can find out for yourself if the steering tilt lock is the problem - if you get the sound over small bumps/cats eyes, go over similar terrain holding the locking mechanism down (do this on an empty road as your steering column is now movable!) - if there is no noise in this scenario, the locking mechanism is the problem. It is a relatively minor issue to take care of and you dont need to take the car in just for this - they can take care of this during the next service.
Thanks Steeroid. I will check this.

On Sumans advice I sent a stinker to TM. They have called back saying they will be sending a TM guy to check on this. Will let you know what happened.
Old 10th August 2008, 20:51   #59
BHPian

Dashboard rattling noise

This is the latest, a constant rattling noise from the dashboard, need to go to the service station when I can, gets irritating at times, even the music at decent volumes fails to cover the noise.

All this after the Kabini trip and some bad roads, no regrets though as I thoroughly enjoyed the drive, trying best to avoid the potholes in vain at times and I wasn't too careful either; the vehicle handled well I'd say, both suspension wise as well as general handling, body roll yes, but not scary at all.

As soon as entering the forest limits, I slowed down, paying full respect to the animals' way, as the signs say and we learn to; but there was this Innova behind me honking away to glory, so I let the guy pass, sometimes it is wise to follow someone and hardly any distance further, the real roads surfaced, out of crevices would be the proper description, it was a joy watching the Innova struggling ahead of me, lost patience after some time and left it there to vanish in my orvm before I took the next turn on the road.. so no regrets whatsoever, the Safari behaved very well I'd say, in total comfort as long as one kept one hand on the steering, the other holding onto the seat-belt, a little tightened beforehand, just to keep it tightened that is..

Last edited by aburagohain : 10th August 2008 at 20:54. Reason: Typo fixed.
Old 11th August 2008, 09:56   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
This is the latest, a constant rattling noise from the dashboard, need to go to the service station when I can, gets irritating at times, even the music at decent volumes fails to cover the noise.
Does it seem to come from the speedometer area ?

In which case I can, suggest a remedy - Perhaps

Most Viewed