Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2008, 10:49   #136
Senior - BHPian

Reverse gear has a ratio of 3.75 slightly less powerful than the 1st, could be because the engine is trying to keep upto the gear without the accelerator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
Ok.
This is a new one .While reversing the engine RPM suddenly falls to 500 odd rpm ( I use only clutch while reversing and use accelerator if needed i.e. say on an incline).
Any pointers ? My second servicing is just around the corner and hence need some information on this before visiting TASS.
Definitely the tyre touching the arms or the stone guard on full turn. let the underbody get dirty then you will be able to pinpoint the marks easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I have observed a new issue , If i rotate steering fully to right and drive over some obsticle like pothole or drive up a ramp I hear a sqeeking /cracking sound as if some one is rubbing a baloon with hand.

In the new vehicle there was a squeeking sound on rotating sterring fully let or right as other have reported but it disappeared automatically and was not audible after first service 1 week back but now this new sound with steering roated while climbing up has appeared

This sound is not heard if I take turn on level surface and is only present if there is an incline , Today I was able to hear it prfectly while taking it to 2 nd floor in multilevel parking.

This was not there few days back , My Safari has done first service and I observe no marks on tyre and that rules out possibility of Tyre touching some thing.

Could it be same idler arm problem ? Any pointer would be helpful here.
Old 8th September 2008, 11:15   #137
Senior - BHPian

Sorry a back and forward movement in my browser reported the same issue again
Editing and deleting.

Last edited by amitk26 : 8th September 2008 at 11:16. Reason: Repost due to browser issue
Old 8th September 2008, 16:24   #138
Senior - BHPian

I have observed a new issue , If i rotate steering fully to right and drive over some obsticle like pothole or drive up a ramp I hear a sqeeking /cracking sound as if some one is rubbing a baloon with hand.

In the new vehicle there was a squeeking sound on rotating sterring fully let or right as other have reported but it disappeared automatically and was not audible after first service 1 week back but now this new sound with steering roated while climbing up has appeared

This sound is not heard if I take turn on level surface and is only present if there is an incline , Today I was able to hear it prfectly while taking it to 2 nd floor in multilevel parking.

This was not there few days back , My Safari has done first service and I observe no marks on tyre and that rules out possibility of Tyre touching some thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
If you are talking about idler arm, tighten and put the locking pin in, if not change the part, welding is not a solution.
Old 8th September 2008, 19:30   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If it happens on some surfaces only, it could be tyre squeal/ noise produced by the friction between tyres and the surface. I've heard this noise come in ML parking spots, where cars have to take sharp turns, and the surface is smooth. Are you sure the same noise comes when going thru potholes ?
Old 8th September 2008, 19:36   #140
Senior - BHPian

yes on pothole the sound is little bit more like loud click.
On Multilevel parking the sound was much amplified and not the typical tyre sound, I never heard this sound on same ML parking of my office earlier.

PS : Due to browser cache this post was created once more .

Regards
Amit
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
If it happens on some surfaces only, it could be tyre squeal/ noise produced by the friction between tyres and the surface. I've heard this noise come in ML parking spots, where cars have to take sharp turns, and the surface is smooth. Are you sure the same noise comes when going thru potholes ?
Old 8th September 2008, 20:05   #141
BHPian

Got the 2nd / 15k service last week the
brake pads were split in half --- replaced under warranty

alternator was kaput ----replaced -- under warranty -- there is a recall out so safari owners(some) will be getting the letter from TATA
Old 9th September 2008, 20:53   #142
BHPian

Has any 2.2 owner got an invite to the Explorer Club as yet?
Old 9th September 2008, 23:55   #143

Asked Concorde Hosur Road, today, about this and got a nice story of only vehicles in TN having this issue. So I asked him if it had anything to do with either of the political bigwigs there!! Next I asked if they had any information about a specific batch of vehicles requiring the replacement, - and was told that they cant give out the information.

Shishir, if yours is a bangalore vehicle, would you mind sharing which dealer sent you the replacement notice ?

sorry for the late reply no my behicle is from mangalore if ur vehicle doesnt start in the first crank head for the tata center all april models are getting a new set of alternators....or just check it up yourself with a local electrician when the engines reves fully it shud give a output charge of 14v
Old 10th September 2008, 07:33   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir11224 View Post
...or just check it up yourself with a local electrician when the engines reves fully it shud give a output charge of 14v
Shishir, the alternator output voltage would be almost exactly the same at all rpms; no need to rev the engine to full.
Old 10th September 2008, 08:12   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure if its the same problem
I had this problem in my bolero GLX two years ago,it used to give out this squeaking sound whenever steering was turned fully,the problem was related to tightening of some belt in power steering assembly.
Old 10th September 2008, 09:47   #146
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I am a member, reported it long time back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDHRUV View Post
Has any 2.2 owner got an invite to the Explorer Club as yet?
Old 10th September 2008, 12:26   #147
BHPian

Got a call long time back,sent a mail also since there was no response ...... but, its like stone thrown into water.

No response only.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Yes, I am a member, reported it long time back.
Old 10th September 2008, 12:57   #148
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I think its electronically limited to 3250 on Neutral. The damn thing has different limits on each gear, neutral included.

This could be the 3.0 - 2.2 may have different limits.
The 3.0 DiCOR's rev limiter kicks in at 3500 rpm in neutral. Haven't really tried reaching the rev limiter in any of the gears. 3000 rpm comes up pretty easily in the first 4 gears. Haven't encountered a stretch (straight and traffic free) to see beyond 2600 rpm in 5th yet (don't ask me for pictures because I was alone when I reached this milestone)
Old 11th September 2008, 10:38   #149
BHPian

i too have noticed it many a times, but i guess it is tire squeal coming down or going up a wind that is a parking lot driveway. this is particularly noticeable when the tire pressure is not optimum and speeds are a little on the higher side, that's what i have deduced, maybe the stock bridgestones produce a louder noise!

Quote:
yes on pothole the sound is little bit more like loud click.
On Multilevel parking the sound was much amplified and not the typical tyre sound, I never heard this sound on same ML parking of my office earlier.
Old 18th September 2008, 14:41   #150
Senior - BHPian

windshield wiper - intermittent wipe

Has anyone tried the different speeds for the intermittent wipe, and do they work ?

I cant make out any difference in the speed of the wiper if i change the selector as indicated in Pg 34 of the owners manual.

Any comments?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks