Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2008, 20:04   #241
BHPian

AC not working in my vehicle from 2-3 days, 1 week after the service at Concorde Mysore road facility, need to visit them this weekend.
Well, the gasp is back, but not very pronounced as of two weeks after service, same fuel being used.
I have a feeling that the steering has become a little tighter but turning radius seems to have decreased, maybe an illusion, comments please.
Old 23rd October 2008, 20:09   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Got a call yesterday about "cam gear" change recall. Taking the 2.2 tomorrow to the service station and posting more information on return.
Pardon my ignorance.. whats a cam gear?
Old 23rd October 2008, 21:10   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
AC not working in my vehicle from 2-3 days, 1 week after the service at Concorde Mysore road facility, need to visit them this weekend.
Well, the gasp is back, but not very pronounced as of two weeks after service, same fuel being used.
I have a feeling that the steering has become a little tighter but turning radius seems to have decreased, maybe an illusion, comments please.
My Safari also has this gasping problem, at the same 1400-1600 range mostly at 1st and 2nd gear. Can I use System D together with Premium diesel ? Will have EGR valve cleaned and ECU reset. Shall post an update on this if a solution is found.
Old 24th October 2008, 10:19   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not a good thing i.e. they were unaware of what was the cause of these gasp, just did what you told, clean the EGR. Move over to System D.

FYI, my Safari's gasp is gone, no gasp, no smoke whatsoever now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Pardon my ignorance.. whats a cam gear?
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-11_top_head.jpg

The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-11_front_head.jpg

Its attached to the camshaft and runs the timing belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom77 View Post
My Safari also has this gasping problem, at the same 1400-1600 range mostly at 1st and 2nd gear. Can I use System D together with Premium diesel ? Will have EGR valve cleaned and ECU reset. Shall post an update on this if a solution is found.
NO, System D is to be used only with Normal Diesel.
Old 24th October 2008, 10:52   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Not a good thing i.e. they were unaware of what was the cause of these gasp, just did what you told, clean the EGR. Move over to System D.

FYI, my Safari's gasp is gone, no gasp, no smoke whatsoever now.

Its attached to the camshaft and runs the timing belt.

Yes After using System D and 300 KM of city driving I have not noticed gasp and puff of smoke at lower gears. Same effect was observed after hig speed highway drive so kind of confirmed that use System D to clean up EGR valve if you are constantly driving in the city.

Thanks Dadu for porting pics of Cam gear , BTW is it from your safari and what was the reason to open the cover over Cam Shafts ?

I got a general call from concord on how my Safari is running and I told them about the sqeeking noise I faced , They caled couple of times and asked me to come over , Could the real reason be Cam Gear ?
Can some one confirm if Cam gear recall is for all 2.2 or a perticular batch ?
Old 24th October 2008, 11:31   #246
Senior - BHPian

No its a generic picture(Merc engine)

I am also surprised the dealer has already called twice and I have told them everything is fine. I dont want them to open up anything if they themselves are not sure on what are they looking at to rectify.

If they are sure, like the damper pulley recall they should call, than asking.

I hope this one is just a generic courtesy call or are they trying to probe anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Thanks Dadu for porting pics of Cam gear , BTW is it from your safari and what was the reason to open the cover over Cam Shafts ?

I got a general call from concord on how my Safari is running and I told them about the sqeeking noise I faced , They caled couple of times and asked me to come over , Could the real reason be Cam Gear ?
Can some one confirm if Cam gear recall is for all 2.2 or a perticular batch ?
Old 24th October 2008, 12:04   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorted out within minutes at TASS in my case. Was a blown fuse.
Old 24th October 2008, 12:14   #248
Senior - BHPian

I couldn't find the Safari 3.0 thread so i'm posting this info here.
So what you all need to be wary of is that in my safari the engine oil leaked into the clutch casing and this caused the car to bog down.the performance drop was really noticable.
now the whole clutch assembly has be changed under warranty.And now the performance is back up to the original level and the car is exceptionally butter smooth.
Old 24th October 2008, 12:31   #249
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got a call yesterday about "cam gear" change recall. Taking the 2.2 tomorrow to the service station and posting more information on return.
Back in office after giving the Safari 2.2 to the Service Station. "Cam gear retrofit" is all the service advisor knew and "is being done mostly to the first lot of vehicles."
Old 24th October 2008, 20:14   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Abu,
Check if the fan is working by switching the a/c on/off. If the fan is working, but there is no cooling, then it is definitely a blown fuse. You can find the fusebox on the left side of the car near the battery. There is a layout on the cover and a spare in the box itself that you can change.

cheers!
Old 24th October 2008, 20:20   #251
adc
Senior - BHPian

Nothing changed!!! strange!!

Well this is what happened.

Went to the Service Station [SS] in evening and what I learn is that they are bringing to the SS some of the 2.2s and checking whether it has been fitted with the "modified cam gear" The advisor says that some 2.2s went out to the market without the "modified cam gear"

Well they opened it up and saw that mine was the modified one and so nothing was changed - saw that written on the job card also and he showed me job cards of other Safari 2.2s - showing that the cam gear is being changed.

Anyway fixed up some front windows rattle that came up due to the HP trip and they also gave me very good complimentary wash and vaccuaming along with some tyre shine.
Old 24th October 2008, 23:26   #252
BHPian

I am finding a lot of posts suddenly on the AC fuse blowing off on the sarari 2.2 VTT. Is this mormal or somehing that has to be looked deeper into.
Old 24th October 2008, 23:43   #253

Second service done and the ac goes off Then I came to know the culprit was the fuse but was really shocked to know it.New vehicle and fuse going off!!!Any one has any idea why is it so???Got my left and right arm and bushes replaced under warranty.Just travelled in some really bad roads and the whole vehicle was rattling and squeaking....so after arguing with them they agreed to replace the bush and arms and even the klank sound almost disappeared while turning to full radius.And I would like to ask all safari owners is the brightness of the headlight enough on the highways???Any tips to improve it??Levelling doesnt work presently on 100/90 philips rally bulb

Dont wait for so long kamath I advice you get it done at 7.5 k even I waited till 15 k as in manual but was shocked to see the oil thickening at 13k rest work you can get it done at 14 or 13k

Note from Team BHP mod team: Back to back posts

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th October 2008 at 00:39.
Old 26th October 2008, 01:19   #254
Senior - BHPian

Adding myself to the AC fuse list.
I've had 3 fuse blowouts till now . Condenser fan has been changed once.But,in vain.

Note: AC fuse is the white one in the engine bay fusebox. Rated 25 amps.

Last edited by nitrous : 26th October 2008 at 01:21.
Old 26th October 2008, 02:03   #255
BHPian

got the ac back on today, no fuse blowout but a loose connection was the culprit, got it fixed in a couple of minutes.
somehow all the rattles and squeaks stop right the time one approaches the service station and continues to maintain absolute silence all throughout the test drive and till the time i for one leave the magical radius from the ss, this murphy guy was a genious..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks