Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2008, 13:07   #211
BHPian

@ bangalore safari owners
i am getting my vehicle serviced this week, couldn't get a slot in the hosur road service centre, need to go to the mysore road one now, anyone of you have been there? are they good, any good contact would help as i have to get a lot of things done, including the idler arm adjustment for the infamous khat sound over potholes, then there is the gasping thing to be looked into, brake squeak, numerous sounds from all over the vehicle and of course if the turning radius could be decreased as amit reported, that would be wonderful.

any suggestions regarding oil and filter change? i am nearing 10k, first service done at 1k.

any other thing anyone would like me to enquire about while there is also welcome, will try my best. i remember dadu wanted some error code info, let me see if i can do anything on that.
Old 6th October 2008, 13:14   #212
Senior - BHPian

^^You definitely need an oil and filter change. Use oil of API-CH4+ standard only.
Check with your TASC if they're stocking CH4,in advance.
Old 6th October 2008, 14:39   #213
BHPian

thanks nitrous, i came across this link Delo: Asia Pacific which one should i go for, Caltex Delo 400 Multigrade Engine Oil?
if i need to buy the oil myself, what kind of places to buy from, i hope the regular fuel bunks would stock it, thanks for the suggestions again.
Old 6th October 2008, 14:56   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
thanks nitrous, i came across this link Delo: Asia Pacific which one should i go for, Caltex Delo 400 Multigrade Engine Oil?
if i need to buy the oil myself, what kind of places to buy from, i hope the regular fuel bunks would stock it, thanks for the suggestions again.

Yes,
That's the correct one IMO.It comes in either 10 ltr/15 ltr bucket.I think 10 ltr bucket suits well for 2.2 as 7.5 ltr is the capacity.Also you might need some oil later on for top-ups.
Old 7th October 2008, 11:44   #215
BHPian

thanks for the clarification rb, but i am still unsure where to get the oil from, available in any shop or fuel station?
Old 7th October 2008, 12:02   #216
Senior - BHPian

Have you checked with them first if they have CH4 oil and they alllow you to get your own oil for replacement ??.

IIRC, they use Mobil1 CH4 oil for 2.2l, call them and check.

Quote:
thanks for the clarification rb, but i am still unsure where to get the oil from, available in any shop or fuel station?
Old 8th October 2008, 15:42   #217

Hi evveryone
Just got my beast serviced the tass guy dint agree to service the vehicle at 7.5 k saying thts too early and when I asked can I get it done outside they said it will void the warranty.I serviced now at 13k the oil had turned reall thick Can anyone tell me how effective bardahl additives are. the tass guys recomended using it.I even asked about mobil oil they say its not the correct oil for the engine and advised me to stick on to castrol recomended in the manual.I even got the fuel filter changed cause some new circular has come stating that it has to be done at 15 k service.
Old 8th October 2008, 16:54   #218
Senior - BHPian

It should be nearing 15k run or 1 year for the 2nd service. You cannot get it done earlier than that(except for city running conditions at 7.5k, thanks JSL for reminding).

If your fuel filter has the Part no : 253409110117, next change is at 30k kms run. If not, it will be changed at 15,000 Kms (thats what the circular says).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir11224 View Post
Hi evveryone
Just got my beast serviced the tass guy dint agree to service the vehicle at 7.5 k saying thts too early and when I asked can I get it done outside they said it will void the warranty.I serviced now at 13k the oil had turned reall thick Can anyone tell me how effective bardahl additives are. the tass guys recomended using it.I even asked about mobil oil they say its not the correct oil for the engine and advised me to stick on to castrol recomended in the manual.I even got the fuel filter changed cause some new circular has come stating that it has to be done at 15 k service.

Last edited by dadu : 8th October 2008 at 17:07.
Old 8th October 2008, 17:02   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi evveryone
The TASS uy who didnt agree is full of s***! You should have opened the service manual and showed it to him where special service conditions are clearly laid down. You can change oil @7500. Its in your own best interest to do so.
If you want to get it done outside, you dont need to tell them, just go ahead and do it as long as you use the specified grade of oil recommended in the owners manual.
The TASS always tries to make some money out of unsuspecting customers. There is no need to use Bardhal oil additives(if thats the additive you meant) in a new engine. Its just a ploy for them to make money.
Old 8th October 2008, 17:06   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge they will not use fluids purchased by a customer from outside, no matter how genuine it is. This includes engine oil and other oils. Do check with your TASS before you buy ur own engine oil.
Old 8th October 2008, 19:34   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just got my beast serviced the tass guy dint agree to service the vehicle at 7.5 k saying thts too early and when I asked can I get it done outside they said it will void the warranty.I serviced now at 13k the oil had turned reall thick Can anyone tell me how effective bardahl additives are. the tass guys recomended using it.
Thank God for my TASC. They bend over backwards if I ask them to.
@Shishir: Speak to a senior guy at ur TASC. Drive him up the wall about the 7.5K OCI and insist on that everytime. Make sure they use API-CH4+ standard oil in your 2.2
Bardahl is all they think about when they see an enthusiast car owner at the service centre. I personally don't believe in "Bar or Dal" and just stick to API-CI4 oil and stick to 7.5K OCI.
Old 9th October 2008, 07:28   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Thank God for my TASC. They bend over backwards if I ask them to.
Same is the case with my ASC as well.I just told them that Delo-400 is API CI-4 Plus which is higher than what TATA recommends and the service engineer happily agreed to use that oil.
In fact I've changed the gear box & differential oil as well (@15K,Chevron brand) w/o any fuss.
As long as the oil meets specs laid down by TATA, why should it cause any problems to warranty ?

@Shishir: Speak to a senior guy at ur TASC. Drive him up the wall about the 7.5K OCI and insist on that everytime. Make sure they use API-CH4+ standard oil in your 2.2
Bardahl is all they think about when they see an enthusiast car owner at the service centre. I personally don't believe in "Bar or Dal" and just stick to API-CI4 oil and stick to 7.5K OCI.
Old 9th October 2008, 09:59   #223
BHPian

Had received a call from Concorde Motors 2 days back, seeking the current mileage run by the car. And was told to visit when the 15000km run is neared, for the oil change. Now, wonder why Concorde too is suggesting to go for oil change at this interval (and not 7500km)?

Hi Shishir, the Bardahl additive prevents premature wear of bearings by forming a film around the rotary parts. Have added it during every oil change in our Indica, and plan to go for it on the Safari too. If it's "Auto MATRIX" that you visit for the service, do get in touch with Mr.Manoj Kumar, who is the Manager for the Service section. He's quite knowledgable and responsive to any of your queries/suggestions.
Old 9th October 2008, 13:45   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath
Now, wonder why Concorde too is suggesting to go for oil change at this interval (and not 7500km)?
So that you can go back to them with a premature engine failure.
Old 12th October 2008, 11:38   #225
BHPian

2nd service update

sorry dadu, a little late in replying, got the vehicle back yesterday evening only, the mysore sc gave home delivery, no charge. did a trial run late at night in the neighborhood, need to run more to find out if the problems have been sorted out, will write again after 2-3 days.

i had asked for the following things:
1> idler arm adjustments for khat sound from the left and reducing turning radius if possible: from what sounded like from the late night run, they have adjusted the arms to give khat sound from both left and right this time :-) not so pronounced though now, maybe it was because of the absence of much ambient noise at night did i hear the milder khat sound coming from both left and right together, may be normal, seek suggestions from all. steering hissing sound is not there at full turn now surprisingly, earlier it was quite audible even with windows up and ac on, yet to find out about the turn radius fix.
2> brake squeal: not audible, will know after prolonged run as the noise used to come on after driving 10-12 km earlier to servicing
3> engine gasp: did not get the gasp last night, starting cold and driving around 4-5km, they had cleaned the egr valve. i had insisted on ecu reset and laptop connection while i was there on friday first half but they seemed reluctant to reset the ecu and started saying laptop has gone for software update, so no point to push far and i agreed on them checking the egr valve manually and if laptop is available from other sc then connect and look for error codes, no hear from them at the time of delivery and i forgot to ask about it later too
4> upgrade alternator: checked with chassis number and found not required
5> ac centre console crack: replaced under warranty, mrp as on bill is 2407, charged as 0
6> combination switch failing to stay at left or right indicator position: switch changed under warranty, msp on bill is 1437, charged as 0
7> oil and filter change: as i couldn't talk to them earlier regarding customer purchased oil, went ahead with exxon mobil ch4 15w40 as they had in stock, total cost of oil change with filter is ~2k for engine, steering
8> vehicle pulling towards left with hands off steering and under heavy brake: pulling to the right slightly with hands off, braking to be tested.

so that was the 2nd service for me, total came to 3.1k including wheel balancing. service done at 9.7k, no questions asked once i showed them the manual where it says for city traffic conditions, service at 7.5k interval.

regarding the headlamp manual adjustments, the sa was very reluctant to show me saying we should only use the vertical adjustment given in the central console and that if i did something manually myself warranty may be void.. after much persuading that it is only for my learning did he show the vertical adjustment option, there is no option to adjust horizontally it seems, only mounting can be adjusted for horizontal alignment problem. attaching the pic taken with phone camera, a normal cross-head screwdriver can be used to turn left or right slowly for vertical adjustments, i have marked the position red in the picture.

will report later after i run the vehicle for some time, seems to be running real smooth at the moment. thanks to you guys for the very useful suggestions

cheers:
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-hl_adjust.jpg  

Last edited by aburagohain : 12th October 2008 at 11:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks