Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2008, 16:43   #121
Team-BHP Support

Suman, we do a lot of remote places, where finding a TASC is not an option. Thats why I was asking that will doing this myself VOID warranty or something?
The only tough part seems to be removing the skid plates, which are bolted on very tight.
Old 29th August 2008, 16:57   #122
Senior - BHPian

You dont have to remove the skid plates for this, its on the left of the fuel tank if you are facing the rear door. To get more visibility remove the tow-hook cover from the rear bumper and look to the left through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Suman, we do a lot of remote places, where finding a TASC is not an option. Thats why I was asking that will doing this myself VOID warranty or something?
The only tough part seems to be removing the skid plates, which are bolted on very tight.
Old 29th August 2008, 17:10   #123
Team-BHP Support

Ok Dadu, got it from the manual, thanks, this is an easy job
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-1.jpg
Old 29th August 2008, 18:45   #124
BHPian

Notchy Gear Shifting

Have been facing a weird problem with my 3.0L Dicor recently. The thing is that the gear shifting from 1st to 2nd gear has become very hard and requires lots of manual effort to slot it into 2nd gear. But after sometime of running-in the vehicle the shifting becomes smoother but its still notchy !

What could be the reason ? At my recent visit to the TASS, they told me that they have topped the gear box oil and after that for sometime it was OK, but again the issue is there. Please help.
Old 30th August 2008, 22:42   #125
BHPian

Crankshaft pulley/damper assembly replacement

Confirming on what has already been mentioned by dadu in the opening post. Had been to Concorde Motors today, and also inquired about the pulley replacement. The Service Advisor went in and looked up for our car (in some database i guess), and returned saying the status showed up as "pre-modified" for our car. Hence, no change required.

To sum it up, for those who haven't been informed about the replacement, please check with your nearest dealer/service center. They should be having info. regarding all cars that need replacement.
Old 31st August 2008, 12:18   #126
BHPian

Quote:
The owners manual(which i downloaded) suggests that you can loosen a screw, drain water and again tighten the screw.
Is this a simple DIY or you have to go to TASC.
What happens if this light comes on at a remote place. How many kms can you drive without harming the engine or fuel pump etc.,
Dear TSK, can you please tell me where I can download the owners manual soft copy? I have been looking all over the world for it!

I am having a lot of trouble to get my 2.2 into reverse gear when static, It's too Tight and mostly I have to load in 1st gear, move a couple of cms forward and then have to go to reverse. I took it to TASC where i was told (As Usual) " It's normal Sir". Please provide me any feedback. Is this normal TATA issue??
P.S. = I never face this problem when the vehicle is moving slightly (either forward or Back)

Last edited by tsk1979 : 31st August 2008 at 12:55.
Old 31st August 2008, 12:54   #127
Team-BHP Support

All owners manuals here
Tata Motors Customer Care :: Owner's Manual

And reverse gear should not be this tight. If vehicle is brand new, this should sort out after 1000kms or so
Old 31st August 2008, 14:30   #128
BHPian

Rev Gear

Quote:
All owners manuals here
Tata Motors Customer Care :: Owner's Manual

And reverse gear should not be this tight. If vehicle is brand new, this should sort out after 1000kms or so
Thanks for the link
BTW she's done about 12k.
Old 1st September 2008, 19:07   #129
BHPian

Tight Rev Gear?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshmenon View Post
I am having a lot of trouble to get my 2.2 into reverse gear when static, It's too Tight and mostly I have to load in 1st gear, move a couple of cms forward and then have to go to reverse. I took it to TASC where i was told (As Usual) " It's normal Sir". Please provide me any feedback. Is this normal TATA issue??
P.S. = I never face this problem when the vehicle is moving slightly (either forward or Back)
I have taken her to the Service Station, where they changed the GB Oil, now it seems to be better. I did manage to compare with the DEMO vehicle as well as a PDI car there it too seems to be a tad tight.

But when I drove my truck out of the station I was getting a heavy thumping sound below the accelerator pedal when ever i hit a pothole / speed breaker, drove it back to the TASC and awaiting the response.

Seen the Indica Vista Aura today, quite a stunner I should say. Hope the same quality of plastics comes to the next Safari?!?!
Old 1st September 2008, 20:05   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok Dadu, got it from the manual, thanks, this is an easy job
Just for info, in case someone looking for it cannot find it:

Older 3.0s like mine have the same sedimenter located in the engine bay, accessible through a small gap in the right right wheel-well. Later 3.0s had the sedimenter fitted in the position shown in the picture of the 2.2 manual as put up by tsk - behind the rear bumper, next to the fuel tank.
Old 2nd September 2008, 21:16   #131
BHPian

I have already booked my Safari VX 2.2 VTT. pearl white and awaiting delivery. I will do a pre registration inspection tomorrow. Is there anything specific I should ask or look for? Some suggestions from Safari owners would be appreciated. Any pearl white Safari owner here? Is it difficult to maintain? I never had a white car, though this one looks a stunner and would also reflect heat which is always a good thing, especially for a larger diesel engine. Any suggestions?

Going through the Safari site, I came across a Safari explorer's Club. Is anyone a member? What happens there?

Since I did not get any answer in the other thread. I am putting my question here once again. I hope this is not off topic.

Last edited by wheelsNsqueals : 2nd September 2008 at 21:18. Reason: grammar
Old 7th September 2008, 10:07   #132
BHPian

Heavy Sound

Quote:

But when I drove my truck out of the station I was getting a heavy thumping sound below the accelerator pedal when ever i hit a pothole / speed breaker, drove it back to the TASC and awaiting the response.
The heavy thumping sound was from a loose bolt on the Left arm, the TASC guys are suggesting that I "Weld it in place", is that wise?. I told them to tighten it for the time being.
Old 7th September 2008, 11:48   #133
Senior - BHPian

If you are talking about idler arm, tighten and put the locking pin in, if not change the part, welding is not a solution.

Quote:
The heavy thumping sound was from a loose bolt on the Left arm, the TASC guys are suggesting that I "Weld it in place", is that wise?. I told them to tighten it for the time being.
Old 7th September 2008, 20:20   #134
BHPian

Low engine RPM while reversing

Ok.
This is a new one .While reversing the engine RPM suddenly falls to 500 odd rpm ( I use only clutch while reversing and use accelerator if needed i.e. say on an incline).
Any pointers ? My second servicing is just around the corner and hence need some information on this before visiting TASS.
Old 8th September 2008, 10:39   #135
Senior - BHPian

I have observed a new issue , If i rotate steering fully to right and drive over some obsticle like pothole or drive up a ramp I hear a sqeeking /cracking sound as if some one is rubbing a baloon with hand.

In the new vehicle there was a squeeking sound on rotating sterring fully let or right as other have reported but it disappeared automatically and was not audible after first service 1 week back but now this new sound with steering roated while climbing up has appeared

This sound is not heard if I take turn on level surface and is only present if there is an incline , Today I was able to hear it prfectly while taking it to 2 nd floor in multilevel parking.

This was not there few days back , My Safari has done first service and I observe no marks on tyre and that rules out possibility of Tyre touching some thing.

Could it be same idler arm problem ? Any pointer would be helpful here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
If you are talking about idler arm, tighten and put the locking pin in, if not change the part, welding is not a solution.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks