Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2008, 11:44   #226
Senior - BHPian

How can I contact someone at Tata via email or phone? I tried emailing to an id I found at tbhp (southsupport@tata???), but bounced back.
Old 12th October 2008, 11:59   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
How can I contact someone at Tata via email or phone? I tried emailing to an id I found at tbhp (southsupport@tata???), but bounced back.
Owner's Manual gives the contact details of TM regional offices. You could try out the contact detailed there.
Old 12th October 2008, 19:58   #228
Senior - BHPian

Hi jkdas,

> I tried emailing to an id I found at tbhp (southsupport@tata???), but bounced > back.

Of course it would have! It is supportsouth@tata..
Old 13th October 2008, 12:30   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Arent the regional manager and office numbers posted at all TASS, TASC ?
Old 13th October 2008, 13:51   #230
Team-BHP Support

I head a slight whine, high pitched at speeds over 40-50kmph in 4x4 mode.
We are barreling down a flat dirt track.
It comes only sometimes, from somewhere in the front diff I think or maybe Transfer Case
Does not come always, but came 2-3 times.
Anything I need to get checked during the 2nd service(I plan to get it done at 8000kms)
Old 14th October 2008, 10:44   #231
Senior - BHPian

Hiccups revisited with a solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I am no wizard, but studying the people reporting it and not reporting it and matching it with my own usage made me deduce the environment under which these symptoms occur.

Dont worry its not a show stopper, carry on with your journey. I'll reiterate the symptoms and break-fix actions as per my knowledge.

Symptoms:

- Hiccups, flat power delivery, gasps at around 1300-1400 rpm and speeds around 20-25kmph.
- Mostly in 2nd gear(for me) and primarily during upshift from 1st to 2nd at turns/ pickup.
- Engine has not reached its optimum operating temperature (cold engine)
- Small puffs of black smoke are accompanied with the above.

Current Diagnosis:

- Soot formation over the EGR Valve
- Could be also related to ECU mapping for Cold engine which will make the engine run rich till warm. (dont have OBD tools, can't diagnose further on this aspect)

Current remedy(IMO):

- Highway runs will clear the carbon deposits/ soot
- In the city run the engine in 2nd gear between 3.0-3.5k RPM for apprx 500mtrs or more (symptoms will not reoccur for few days atleast).

I am still on it and will appreciate if anyone going on a T.A.S.S visit asks them to plugin the OBD tool and check for these error codes P0400, P0401 P0402 P0403 P0404 P0405 P0406 P0407 P0408.

Infact any error code feedback will be appreciated. EGR is tricky to troubleshoot.
As abu mentioned the cleanup of the EGR did help the hiccups.

All fingers pointing towards the soot/ particle builtup for this problem and in the effort to find a solution, I started using System D in my next fill.

Not to my surprise, after 100km run on it, the hiccup problem reduced considerably.

Now after 150km run, I can say that the hiccup problem is almost but gone, atleast I cannot feel it although can still see some smoke(no puffs now) under same conditions once in a while, which were also part of the symptoms, am sure that will also go away with some more run.

So if you are a Safari City lad and on Normal Diesel, use System D, the PEA's in it do help in the cleanup.

Also thanks Abu for showing the vertical headlamp adjustments, they are the motorized balancers.

Last edited by dadu : 14th October 2008 at 10:46.
Old 14th October 2008, 12:13   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
As abu mentioned the cleanup of the EGR did help the hiccups.

All fingers pointing towards the soot/ particle builtup for this problem and in the effort to find a solution, I started using System D in my next fill.

So if you are a Safari City lad and on Normal Diesel, use System D, the PEA's in it do help in the cleanup.
I did a long run to Pondicherry from Bangalore and maintained speed between 120 and 130 km/hr on GQ, and after this the black puff was not visible I filled up the tank in Pondicherry and then at Hosur so brought a bottle of System D from IBP pump after coming back but added it to the tank after about 60 Km of drive within bangalore, The Engine sounds smoother ( may be just psychological ) and no hiccup till now but not sure if this is due to System D or cleaning up on high speed drive and no builtup of soot with in 60 Km of city driving.

BTW what is PEA in your post above ?
Old 14th October 2008, 13:18   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I did a long run to Pondicherry from Bangalore and maintained speed between 120 and 130 km/hr on GQ, and after this the black puff was not visible I filled up the tank in Pondicherry and then at Hosur so brought a bottle of System D from IBP pump after coming back but added it to the tank after about 60 Km of drive within bangalore, The Engine sounds smoother ( may be just psychological ) and no hiccup till now but not sure if this is due to System D or cleaning up on high speed drive and no builtup of soot with in 60 Km of city driving.

BTW what is PEA in your post above ?
High speeds help in shrugging off those deposits but will get built up again during extended city runs which is what these detergent based additives do, reduce/clean these deposits.

PEA's are Polyether Amine (PEA) used in additives.

Read about it here
Old 14th October 2008, 20:25   #234
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I have a simple question , What is the normal position of temperature gauge needle for Safari 2.2 VTT , In my safari after initial few KM it stays at half way mark always , Is it correct and normal.

The doubt came to my mind after reading follwoing thread for Palio where
it is stated that normal position for most cars is about 25%.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...e-doubt-2.html

Regards
Amit
Old 14th October 2008, 20:38   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
So that you can go back to them with a premature engine failure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Had received a call from Concorde Motors 2 days back, seeking the current mileage run by the car. And was told to visit when the 15000km run is neared, for the oil change. Now, wonder why Concorde too is suggesting to go for oil change at this interval (and not 7500km)?

Hi Shishir, the Bardahl additive prevents premature wear of bearings by forming a film around the rotary parts. Have added it during every oil change in our Indica, and plan to go for it on the Safari too. If it's "Auto MATRIX" that you visit for the service, do get in touch with Mr.Manoj Kumar, who is the Manager for the Service section. He's quite knowledgable and responsive to any of your queries/suggestions.

Ya kamath I get it serviced at auto matrix.It was the same guy who suggested me to go for the additives. How many kms have you run your indica so far??? And does bardal really has given you any advantages?? Lots of people in this forum doesnt seem to agree with the additives. Did you change your safaris oil at 7.5k???

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th October 2008 at 21:29.
Old 15th October 2008, 12:46   #236
Senior - BHPian

Normal position is the half-way mark in the Temp gauge. Sometimes it goes a tad lower(1mm) but never beyond the half mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Hi,

I have a simple question , What is the normal position of temperature gauge needle for Safari 2.2 VTT , In my safari after initial few KM it stays at half way mark always , Is it correct and normal.

The doubt came to my mind after reading follwoing thread for Palio where
it is stated that normal position for most cars is about 25%.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...e-doubt-2.html

Regards
Amit
Old 16th October 2008, 15:17   #237
BHPian

Issues that cropped up very recently.

Yesterday while turning full right I heard a loud thud from bottom left, like a stone hitting the underbody. That happened once again after sometime while turning right. I did not get the noise when I tried the full left.

At times I hear a faint sqeak whilke pressing the break pedal. This happens intermittently.

A "krrrrr" sound mostly while accelerating mostly on 3rd gear. I initially thought it might be coming from the Mumbai autorickshaws, but on careful hearing I noticed it came from my Safari.

There is no problem in driving the car and am enjoying the ride. I have just crossed a 1000 and would be visiting the TASS for my first service in a day or two.
Old 16th October 2008, 23:26   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir11224 View Post
How many kms have you run your indica so far??? And does bardal really has given you any advantages?? Lots of people in this forum doesnt seem to agree with the additives. Did you change your safaris oil at 7.5k???
Hi Shishir, our Indica's covered about 48,000kms in 7.5 years. Too less at any count, but all oil changes were done at 7,500km interval and the additive added with every oil change. The advantages might not be apparent but since we don't check oil levels or viscosity that often, i thought adding it would help.

The Safari's not reached the 7,500km mark yet. Planning to get the oil changed either at 10,000kms, or 15,000kms after consultation with the service advisor at Concorde Motors.
Old 17th October 2008, 12:46   #239
Senior - BHPian

Guys

i'm facing this Hiccup problem in my Safari 3.0 recently after the 30K service which involved Fuel Filter(Delphi) change.

The beast misses a beat sometimes and notably more around 2-3 gear but this problem was more evident when i was on hills last week.
Whenever the beast needed more power,it missed a beat.
Couldnt find a TASS open as it was Dussera,so got a mechanic to open Fuel fileter and clean it with jet of air and fit again.

This dint help much either as still the frequency was like 1-2 per hour of driving.
I'm guessing the Fuel Filter is the culprit here.

Please suggest if you think other reasons can be behind it and this is the very ist time i'm facing this issue and its very irritating.

Please help,though i'm thinking of taking the beast to TASS in my city tomorrow but they are not so competent.
Old 23rd October 2008, 12:25   #240
adc
Senior - BHPian

Tata Safari 2.2 Cam Gear recall

Got a call yesterday about "cam gear" change recall. Taking the 2.2 tomorrow to the service station and posting more information on return.

Last edited by adc : 23rd October 2008 at 12:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks