Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2008, 11:02   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshukt View Post
Does it seem to come from the speedometer area ?

In which case I can, suggest a remedy - Perhaps
Please go ahead,i need it.
Old 11th August 2008, 21:24   #62
Senior - BHPian

I have been facing this small niggling issue (noise)

The noise seems to come from the front left passenger door or somewhere around that area. Its not metal and also is not that loud. I have even tried holding/ pressing the plastic parts like to door handle, aircon vent to ascertain where the noise is but in vain.

Further I went to the workshop for my 2nd 15K service. I will post a detailed writeup tomorrow on my thread, but here are a couple of points which I thought I should post on this thread.

They had lifted my BEAR up the lift as I had told them to check/ clean the brake pads and I noticed some oil leakage from a shock absorber. This is not the suspension shocks but was right in the center between the front two tyres. This was changed and the SA told be that the name of the part is the 'Steering Damper' Part No 2704466600107 Cost Price (for me under warranty & free) 727.11

Another issue which has cropped up is the front RHS ORVM has stopped functioning from inside. It goes Up and Down but sometimes fails to move Right & Left. Will get this checked later as I was getting late and remembered this only after the bill was prepared.

Another thing which fails to amaze me is that there is chipping on the center console (see the pic). How this has happened I don't know. Infact my wifey is the one that noticed this. They were about to change this but dint have it in stock. So I would send the BEAR tomorrow and this too would be done.

Also as some condensation had developed inside the left HeadLamp. This was also changed under warranty
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Safari 2.2L Technical / Problems Thread-11082008360.jpg  

Old 12th August 2008, 16:00   #63

safari dicor dying on me?

hi.

I bought a Safari Dicor VX in oct. 2006 and have clocked 39K+ Km. All this while it was as good as promised but since the past 6 months i am facing the following problems.

1. Excessive vibrations from the engine. The plastic in both the front doors (near the speakers) keeps rattling when the engine is idle.

2. The brakes don't inspire confidence anymore .... either the car stops suddeny or takes a while.

3. Every time i go over a bump there is a loud 'clang' 'clang' sound coming from the rear. It sounds like something is loose. Got it checked-out at many garages but no-go.

4. The roads don't seem so smooth anymore. I do believe its gotten more bumpy n there is considerably more body roll.

5. The steering column provides a bit 'too much' feedback now :-) There is a prominent sound from it overtime i go over a pothole.

6. Can any owner advise on what would be the best engine oil to use ?

So what do you guys suggest ? My friend (who owns the garage i service at) advises it is time to sell coz the Tata Safari sure does need lots of maintenance once past the 40K to 45K mark and things soon start falling apart.
Old 12th August 2008, 16:21   #64
Team-BHP Support

machine, won't all these problems be covered under warranty.
1. Ask them to change engine mounts, should be done for free, its a easy fix
2. Ask them to change the pads. 40K is a lot of time for old pads. If there is problem with braking system etc., ask them to change whatever is faulty, all free under warranty
3. Ask them to check suspension. It is also covered under warranty. If they can't fix it change your garage and go to a good garage
4. See above
5. See above
6. Fill In one of the Tata recommended oils (Castrol GTX diesel, HP Milcy or Mobil 1000TM)

These are all minor issues and are fixable under warranty.
Old 13th August 2008, 12:27   #65
Senior - BHPian

Question regarding warrenty

Dear Safari Gurus ,

I have an important question , I got ICE installed in my Safari Lx which does not comes with a music system or speakers , But there is a wiring harness to fix in speakers and HU.
Installer has put in the harness where HU is put and there is no cutting or splicing of wires but In the door pads , To fix speaker wires in Cross over he did some splicing of wires. Will it void the warrenty ?

I know I sound stupid I was standing all day through reminding him not to cut any wire but while fitting the speakers he did the same.

Regards
Amit
Old 13th August 2008, 13:17   #66
Senior - BHPian

No problem till you dont tell TASS that you cut the wires.

Not a big deal at all,so relax
Old 14th August 2008, 13:22   #67
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

My safari has done almost 400 Km with in City now , I noticed some thing strange today , When the engine is warm ( after 5/6 KM ) that is when the engine temp. needle reaches to the center point and stays there, It feels sluggish in 1st and 2nd gear , And response is better at higher speed in 3ed gear. The same problem is not observed immediatly after cold start , I am keeping the RPM below 2000 in run in period , Is this something to worry ?
Also as I have been driving in bumper to bumper trafic in bangalore for past 2 weeks could it be due to ECU learning the pattern ?

I was planning to go out of the city on long weekend ? Should
I avoid this till 1st service / 1500 Km is completed ?

Regards
Amit
Old 14th August 2008, 13:57   #68
Team-BHP Support

After first service she will open up. No need to worry. Make sure you have around 35PSI in rear tires and 33PSI in front tires.
Go ahead on your trip and then get her serviced when you come back
Old 14th August 2008, 15:52   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
machine, won't all these problems be covered under warranty.
1. Ask them to change engine mounts, should be done for free, its a easy fix
2. Ask them to change the pads. 40K is a lot of time for old pads. If there is problem with braking system etc., ask them to change whatever is faulty, all free under warranty
3. Ask them to check suspension. It is also covered under warranty. If they can't fix it change your garage and go to a good garage
4. See above
5. See above
6. Fill In one of the Tata recommended oils (Castrol GTX diesel, HP Milcy or Mobil 1000TM)

These are all minor issues and are fixable under warranty.
thanks for the quick reply.

sorry i forgot to mention that my warranty expired lon long ago so everything come out of my pocket. aslo, due to past experience(s) where the service centers tried to charge me almost 500% more that actual spares parts, i don't think i will be going to them ever again.

every mechanic i have spoken to has told me to sell the car while there is still time as, in their professional opinion(s), all tata safaris (even the new 2.2) are the worst piece of machinery made in india and soon start falling apart with major major expenses to owner. i am thinking there might be some truth in there ( thats why so bad re-sale value ??). i have often faced the music form my garage mechanics for purchasing the Dicor without consulting them (they r family friends since past 25 years) n are suggesting i sell it soon as things will keep breaking down like they do in all cars, but a bit too soon is tata cars.

anyways, how much do u think it will cost to fix all these problems?
Old 14th August 2008, 16:06   #70
Senior - BHPian

Isnt it 30(F) & 35(R) with 1/2 persons and 32(F) & 35(R) with full load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
After first service she will open up. No need to worry. Make sure you have around 35PSI in rear tires and 33PSI in front tires.
Go ahead on your trip and then get her serviced when you come back
Old 14th August 2008, 16:17   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine View Post

anyways, how much do u think it will cost to fix all these problems?
Cost should be around 20K if done outside. Not more than that. with Tata always take extended warranty
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Isnt it 30(F) & 35(R) with 1/2 persons and 32(F) & 35(R) with full load.
For highway I always keep +2-3 PSI as a rule. Its safer that way
Old 14th August 2008, 18:57   #72
Senior - BHPian

Drove another 2.2L after the supervisor who drove with me confirmed its in all 2.2's and that I drive another to check.
Old 14th August 2008, 19:46   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Drove another 2.2L after the supervisor who drove with me confirmed its in all 2.2's and that I drive another to check.

are you referring to the Krr noise ?
Old 14th August 2008, 20:47   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
are you referring to the Krr noise ?
Yes. The krr. You too have it? My friend who was with me last day said just called me and said his Innova (he took delivery today) too has similar sound when you rev fast in 3rd gear. Guess its all about how good your ear is.
Old 14th August 2008, 21:05   #75
Senior - BHPian

May be I have bad ears did not notice it in my 2.2VTT till now its just 400 Km so little premature to say anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Yes. The krr. You too have it? My friend who was with me last day said just called me and said his Innova (he took delivery today) too has similar sound when you rev fast in 3rd gear. Guess its all about how good your ear is.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks