Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2009, 08:17   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
I just remembered watching a vid on you tube where the technical advisor of Spoon Sports Mr. Ichishima was asked what oil should be used on a stock car thats taken for track days once in a while.

Interestingly, he said that OEM oil is infact good enough for a car that hasn't had it's engine modified.

Shan2nu
Its not like all "OEM" oils are made the same way!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashank.A View Post
Bought 3.5L Magnatec for Rs.1050. Got a sweatshirt free , which was grabbed by my Mechanic.

The GTX was for Rs.725, so its better to go for Magnatec, as its value for money and lasts for 10k km compared to 5 on other oils.
Where does it say that Magnatec is supposed to lasts 10,000 km??
Old 25th January 2009, 23:31   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Stick to 8,000 kms for semi synth.
Nopes. Stick to what the mfrs tell you to do on engine oil drain intervals. They made the car...not the oil company. City driving is classified as severe service.

I cant believe the number of people that behave like like cheap skates when it comes to changing engine oil. Change it at recommended intervals and hear your engine hum. It costs you only about Rs 800 to 1K every 6 months including the filter for most Jap cars! Dont go in for synth if value for money is important. Good multigrade mineral oil or semi synth is good enuff. This is my 2C.

Cheers!
Old 25th January 2009, 23:36   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Stick to 5k or max push to 7.5-8.
Not more than that.

PS: Petronas Syntium 5W40 fully synthetic is about 550-600 per litre.
I wouldnt put any Petronas stuff in my car if they gave it for free.

Cheers!
Old 26th January 2009, 14:58   #49
Senior - BHPian

^^^Why so?? Bad experience or something else...?
Old 26th January 2009, 18:12   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Why so?? Bad experience or something else...?
Guess you're asking me that question.

No. Never used it as you may guess from my comment below. Just being cautious about a relatively unknown brand from SE Asia.

Just prefer a known devil to an unknown one, if you know what I mean.

Cheers!
Old 26th January 2009, 19:27   #51
Senior - BHPian

Nah dude... I don't think I'v ever asked you that?! In fact 1st time I heard a -ve comment about Petronas. Most people seem to be happy with it... and it seems to be priced bit more sensibly. Never used it myself, so no personal comments about it.
Old 26th January 2009, 20:03   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nah dude... I don't think I'v ever asked you that?! In fact 1st time I heard a -ve comment about Petronas. Most people seem to be happy with it... and it seems to be priced bit more sensibly. Never used it myself, so no personal comments about it.
Actually my comment abt Petronas isnt negative at all. Just that I prefer to stay away from it coz its an unknown brand. Like I said below, prefer a known devil to an unknown one. Yes, I am probably biased towards the likes of Castrol, Mobil, Penzzoil et al. A creature of habit? Possibly.

Savita Chemicals produce the commonly known Idemitsu oils and they are sold over the counter under that label or to OEMs under their 'genuine' labels (Honda and Toyota). I use the GMO (genuine motor oil) only coz the mfr forces me to, given the threat to the warranty if after market products are used....it's certainly not out of choice.

Cheers!
Old 28th January 2009, 13:18   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Where does it say that Magnatec is supposed to lasts 10,000 km??
Nowhere, and AFAIK no pack of oil mentions on how much will it last.
Old 28th January 2009, 14:50   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Actually my comment abt Petronas isnt negative at all. Just that I prefer to stay away from it coz its an unknown brand. Like I said below, prefer a known devil to an unknown one. Yes, I am probably biased towards the likes of Castrol, Mobil, Penzzoil et al. A creature of habit? Possibly.

Savita Chemicals produce the commonly known Idemitsu oils and they are sold over the counter under that label or to OEMs under their 'genuine' labels (Honda and Toyota). I use the GMO (genuine motor oil) only coz the mfr forces me to, given the threat to the warranty if after market products are used....it's certainly not out of choice.

Cheers!
Btw, which car do you have? Asking because I'd like to know which manufacturer is forcing you to use oil this way. As far as I remember, we only used the Maruti oil (MGO) once in the Esteem... at the 1st service. After that it was something else. And as far as I can remember, there was no threat about voiding the warranty over this.

Btw, hows your experience with Idemitsu been? It seems most of their products sell as OEM oils. Hardly seen their products in the open market.

Quote:
Nowhere, and AFAIK no pack of oil mentions on how much will it last.
Not so. Some do. For eg. Hero Honda oils mention this. So does Castrol CRB (its a diesel oil... I use it in my Suzuki Shogun crankcase). I'm sure few others mention it too... havent checked all.
Old 28th January 2009, 15:17   #55
BANNED

I saw MGO and own brand at a pump. The fuel companies own brand was one grade higher (SG as against SF) for a marginally lower price. All this talk about specially made/blended for *** cars, is well plain talk, nothing more.

I am a great believer in Magnatec and if not available then go for GTX2. The main issue with Castrol is to find genuine oil, since probably the most faking is done on castrol products.
Old 28th January 2009, 16:07   #56
Senior - BHPian

The issue I have with castrol is their marketing. And for that reason I dont percieve them as a very trust worthy company. For eg., consider the Magnatec marketing. All that jazz about molecules sticking to the engine is dubious. Tests have found no difference... and also their claim about polar bonding or whatever does not hold scientifically...

Then their bike oils - years ago they were marketing an oil of wrong grade (cant recall the brand) for Hero Honda. Even today they market their Power 1 brand without even mentioning the viscosity on the pack! And to top it, they recommend it for ALL bikes without exception - Hero Honda, TVS, Yamaha, Bajaj, whatever. Really shocking...

Their web site sux... gives the least possible tech info and max marketing hype! Even BPCL site is way better!

Max. possibility of adulteration when you buy Castrol.

Etc., etc...

Last edited by Raccoon : 28th January 2009 at 16:09.
Old 28th January 2009, 16:59   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bought 3.5L Magnatec for Rs.1050.
From where exactly did you buy this Shashank ? my zen is nearing 60k service

please give exact address and phone number.

thanks
Old 28th January 2009, 18:13   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Stick to 8,000 kms for semi synth.
Nitrous,

I have always been in 2 minds seeing so many varied opinions.

I bought my lancer used at 64K odo in Dec last year.
Dealer ,i picked my car, said change oil at 8K somehow due to time constraints pushed oil upto 10K

Went for a service after my a'dam tour at 74.5K.
Mitsu service advisor said the factory MOTUL is enough for a 10K service interval. so didn't change it before . but reading the a lot on the mineral vs synthetic thread. got scared and changed to Magnatec again at 80K.

Now car is at 84.5K and i wonder what interval to stick to.
I think 6K is a safe bet. or can i stretch to 8K ?
Old 28th January 2009, 18:19   #59
Senior - BHPian

6k would be better,vineet . Change oil between 6-8k kms. But, Don't push over 8k with semi-synth.

Last edited by nitrous : 28th January 2009 at 18:20.
Old 28th January 2009, 20:30   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t View Post
Nitrous,

I have always been in 2 minds seeing so many varied opinions.

I bought my lancer used at 64K odo in Dec last year.
Dealer ,i picked my car, said change oil at 8K somehow due to time constraints pushed oil upto 10K

Went for a service after my a'dam tour at 74.5K.
Mitsu service advisor said the factory MOTUL is enough for a 10K service interval. so didn't change it before . but reading the a lot on the mineral vs synthetic thread. got scared and changed to Magnatec again at 80K.

Now car is at 84.5K and i wonder what interval to stick to.
I think 6K is a safe bet. or can i stretch to 8K ?
Dude, this depends quite a bit on your riding style, and where you drive. In general, if your driving is mostly in crowded cities, then change oil more frequently. On the other hand, if its mostly steady highway driving, then you can stretch the oil change quite a bit.

Why did you change from Motul to Magnatec?? I'd be inclined to do the reverse!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks