Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2016, 07:57   #7201
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Guys on cranking my cars doing a Grrr/Krrr type sound while i am turning the key. Any idea what the problem could be ? I googled and a link says that's it the started relay and is normal. Have any of you guys faced the same issue ?

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/19...ing-video.html

Edit: Googled some more info and found that it happens if the key is turned over slowly. Went downstairs to the parking lot and did a quick crank and the sound did not occur to a large extent as before and the car started just fine. Still will keep observing for the next few days.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 4th February 2016 at 08:15.
Old 4th February 2016, 09:48   #7202
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Guys on cranking my cars doing a Grrr/Krrr type sound while i am turning the key. Any idea what the problem could be ? I googled and a link says that's it the started relay and is normal. Have any of you guys faced the same issue ?
I suspect it could be a bad line, or a dying battery. One other thing, check whether there is any change when starting first thing in the morning, and restarting after a few minutes.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 11:18   #7203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi ImmortalZ,

Any information on this O ring. I am planning to get the steering opened on coming weekend and get it fixed. Was thinking if I could source the O ring before opening up steering system and keep it handy in case these O rings need replacement.
Hi,

I asked my contact. He just gets it from a local shop here. The parts are made in Cochin by a reputed machine shop. It's used in all the cars he services, so it's good stuff.

Either way, for the power steering, get high temperature O rings of the correct measurement and you should be good.
Old 5th February 2016, 20:51   #7204
BHPian

Hi guys.

I am considering a Civic MT for my next purchase. I want a workhorse, to cover ~1.5k+ km per month in city roads which are mostly well paved. I am considering a few 2009 and 2010 models which have covered 45-65k kms.

Will a retrofit CNG on Civic be a good idea? How will it hold up 5-6 years down the line (that equates to around 1 Lac kms easily)? How is the spare part availability and pricing? What are average costs of major services like 60k, 80k service, etc.? Is Civic a reliable car (with CNG) for such a long and intense use? Please advice.

Also, Civics depreciate quite fast. Would it be a good decision to get a 6-7 year old one now? For instance, if I spend 3 Lac on a decent piece with 50k on odo, will I be able to get 1/3rd of that after 5 years with 1.5 Lac total clocked on the odo?
Old 6th February 2016, 08:27   #7205
BHPian

Guys when i start my 2007 AT Civic, one can hear a rattle sound when standing outside the car (no sound observable to the person on the driver's seat), don't know the source but after driving for some time the sound goes away.
The rattle sound is observable again in the next start.
What could be the issue?
Old 7th February 2016, 02:29   #7206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StallionAmit View Post
Guys when i start my 2007 AT Civic, one can hear a rattle sound when standing outside the car (no sound observable to the person on the driver's seat), don't know the source but after driving for some time the sound goes away.
What could be the issue?
Seems like an engine mount issue. The ECU is programmed in a way that the RPMs are high at cold start and goes down to approx 900 once the engine is warmed up. Do check the engine mounts and also check if there is any excessive vibrations at high RPMs.
nik0502 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 11:43   #7207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
Hi guys.

I am considering a Civic MT for my next purchase. I want a workhorse, to cover ~1.5k+ km per month in city roads which are mostly well paved. I am considering a few 2009 and 2010 models which have covered 45-65k kms.

Will a retrofit CNG on Civic be a good idea? How will it hold up 5-6 years down the line (that equates to around 1 Lac kms easily)? How is the spare part availability and pricing? What are average costs of major services like 60k, 80k service, etc.? Is Civic a reliable car (with CNG) for such a long and intense use? Please advice.

Also, Civics depreciate quite fast. Would it be a good decision to get a 6-7 year old one now? For instance, if I spend 3 Lac on a decent piece with 50k on odo, will I be able to get 1/3rd of that after 5 years with 1.5 Lac total clocked on the odo?
I have a 2008 Civic AT done 95K now. It's quick even when running between today's cars, still looks great, has never stranded me anywhere, built very tough, still puts a smile on my face when I beat the snot out of that engine.

I have survived a major accident in the car where almost the entire left side had to be replaced. I drove the car 80KM to the dealership after the accident and we all opened the doors from the inside to get out. No glass panes broken, no locks stuck, nothing.

If I had the knowledge of today in September 2008, I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't recommend a CNG kit though. I do not know about depreciation either as I don't plan on selling my car.

I love this car, can't you tell?
ImmortalZ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 11:45   #7208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What could be the issue?
Open up the hood, check the engine hydraulic engine mount.

Look at the pictures in this post to see how it should look. If the mount is collapsed, replace.
ImmortalZ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 12:07   #7209
Senior - BHPian

Guys what would be the life of the OE spark plugs for the Civic ? Should we change based on period ie years or on km's covered. My Civic which is Jan 2007 model (bought used) probably is still on it's factory spark plugs. So shall i change the plugs in my next service this time or let them run ?

Thanks.
Old 7th February 2016, 13:06   #7210
BHPian

Quote:
Guys what would be the life of the OE spark plugs for the Civic ? Should we change based on period ie years or on km's covered. My Civic which is Jan 2007 model (bought used) probably is still on it's factory spark plugs. So shall i change the plugs in my next service this time or let them run ?
Here are my posts on sparkplugs:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2671295
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2670562

As per Honda-manual replace every 1,00,000 kms (time-period not important).

Presently my car is nearing 9 years old and in great shape.
I don't use her much nowadays, but whenever I drive her on 4-lane roads, it still feels as good as new, silky-smooth, powerful and extremely comfortable
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 15:48   #7211
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Open up the hood, check the engine hydraulic engine mount.

Look at the pictures in this post to see how it should look. If the mount is collapsed, replace.
Hi, thanks i suspected that but from the link and the pictures is not clear what to do?
I mean what is the cost of the part (if there is a part to be replaced?) or
There is some other thing which needs to be done?
Old 7th February 2016, 16:49   #7212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, thanks i suspected that but from the link and the pictures is not clear what to do?
I mean what is the cost of the part (if there is a part to be replaced?) or
There is some other thing which needs to be done?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2352049

Check above from our very thread.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 17:03   #7213
BHPian

Quote:
This is very useful and the symptoms point to mount issue only. One question if i don't want to use the costly part can there be any other arrangement to save costs which a FNG can do or will it be too risky.

(Recently got the AC done and car also serviced just 1 month back, too much expenditure at one go will hurt my finances )

Last edited by StallionAmit : 7th February 2016 at 17:07. Reason: sentence correction
Old 7th February 2016, 17:15   #7214
BANNED

I thought there was a free replacement for faulty engine mounts from Honda. It was later limited to ten years. So many may qualify.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2016, 17:21   #7215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is very useful and the symptoms point to mount issue only. One question if i don't want to use the costly part can there be any other arrangement to save costs which a FNG can do or will it be too risky.

(Recently got the AC done and car also serviced just 1 month back, too much expenditure at one go will hurt my finances )
A non OE mount will be cheaper but there is no guarantee that it will last long. I had put in a after market mount which went kaput in 2 -3 months, so that was a 4.5k drain on my wallet. However if the problem is not severe you can wait for the present mount to go bust completely in your car. The only thing is that you will have to live with some vibrations on cold start. The mount is hydraulic and the gap between the two metal parts keep changing as the mount rocks back and forth when the car is driven. I have determined this after driving the car for sometime. The mount gap on cold start is less and widens after the car is driven for sometime. The best way to check this is to gently insert your civic's key between the mount gap. If it goes in smoothly all good, else if the key does not get inserted between the mount gaps means the mount might need looking into. I suggest you wait for a while and replace mount once you notice there is minimum or no gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I thought there was a free replacement for faulty engine mounts from Honda. It was later limited to ten years. So many may qualify.

Honda did not give me anything free when i went to them to get the mount replace. My regular adviser whom i fairly trust also did not mention anything either. There was a limitation on the year make and i think it was 5 years rather than 10. If the 10 is true then Honda owes me money for the mount.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 7th February 2016 at 17:24.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks