Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2009, 18:42   #241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Leave the filling cap and dip stick open so that air enters easier and allow full and proper drain, wait for 10-15 mts if you can after you open the drain plug, remove and change the filter. Wait for another 5 mts and then put the drain plug back and fill new oil.
Will keep this in mind. Thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
@Kaushik,

And do ensure that the oil is at operating temperature when doing the drain.
You mean to say drive the car for sometime and then get in in showroom and directly drain out? Is it basically to prevent the old oil from getting cooled down and hence stickier?
Old 15th July 2009, 20:04   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
You mean to say drive the car for sometime and then get in in showroom and directly drain out? Is it basically to prevent the old oil from getting cooled down and hence stickier?
kaushik idle the car for a few mins and occasionally rev' it and do this for about 10-15mins and you are good to go. This is what I did.
Old 15th July 2009, 20:16   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
..This is what I did.
Thats what you did when you had the car.
Old 15th July 2009, 20:23   #244
Senior - BHPian

Yes, you just need to idle for some time before draining.

But incase you are driving to the service center, the oil will be in the optimal temperature and you can get the oil drained, this is unless the car has been stopped, with engine off, for a long time there while you were waiting for someone to attend.

And yes, this is for the old oil from cooling down and getting their regular cold level viscosity.

And an idling and rev'ing for 10+ minutes is required, mostly, only if you are adding an additive and expecting it to mix and clear the internals, else getting the oil hot will ensure that they drain out faster (than in cold state).
Old 15th July 2009, 20:24   #245
BANNED

What is correct capacity of engine oil in lancer diesel, since i dont know the exact volume, my mechanic have poured almost upto his satisfaction. Though dip stick shows correct mark, i need to know the company specification volume of engine oil.

also i intend to use OWS engine flush in my next service, but mine is old car of 1999 make, which have clocked lakhs of kms, but in some threads i have seen that using flush in old engines will make the engine oil guzzler and the smoothness will go away, since the carbon deposits which were lubricating and filling the gaps will be removed by flush. I desperately need to flush , but this statement make me think again. Any one please throw some light.

I have sent mail to speedworks in their website, but no reply. i dont know where to get the flush in coimbatore. what will be the price of flush and engine protector?

Last edited by rajivanoj : 15th July 2009 at 20:28.
Old 16th July 2009, 16:48   #246
BANNED

Got reply from speedworks J madan. He specified some workshops in coimbatore to get OWS, but will the cost with farhan is less than the coimbatore garage?
Old 17th July 2009, 13:04   #247
BHPian

@rajiv. If you are getting just one or 2 item if the discount is not big you better get it from Coimbatore. You ll have to add the shipping cost from Chenai if you order through Farhan.

Sri
Old 20th July 2009, 12:13   #248
BHPian

My experience with OWS 360:
Added the 360 to 20l of petrol. About 10 km later, the car seemed to smoothen out a little. Throttle response improved. However, the benefits seemed to disappear once I had exhausted the 360 + petrol mixture. Although better than before, it does not seem to have had a lasting effect.
Some members have used 2 cans of 360 in succession. Was my fuel system so clogged that 1 can just could not do the job?
Mileage seems to have gone up a bit. During a recent 400 km highway run, I got almost 17kmpl out of my Swift Vxi. Could the Mobil1 have contributed to this?
Old 20th July 2009, 12:24   #249
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
During a recent 400 km highway run, I got almost 17kmpl out of my Swift Vxi. Could the Mobil1 have contributed to this?
Roy,

I have also noticed a very marginal increase in my FE in my city runs after the switch to Mobil 1 so I think you can attribute the small increase in FE to Mobil 1. I have not been able to take the car out on a full highway trip since the switch to fully synthetic, so I'm not very certain on the increase in FE on the highways.

Cheers,
gpa

EDIT: Have you noticed an increase in FE in the city?

Last edited by gpa : 20th July 2009 at 12:27. Reason: Note to Roy
Old 20th July 2009, 17:08   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Have you noticed an increase in FE in the city?
There definitely has been an increase. Earlier I used to get a consistent 11.5 kmpl in the city. Seems to be just under 12.5 right now. Will measure next week and post.
Old 28th July 2009, 11:50   #251
Senior - BHPian

After driving for 800+ Kms after the OWS treatement, the differences I note are:
- good pull in the 3rd gear. It has become better to drive, since frequent gear change is not warranted now
- FE seems to have increased a bit. This is based on level indicator vs the KM's run. But a tank fill will give the right picture.

Apart from that, nothing else. Engine noise is as it was earlier, gear change is also the same.

Since others seems to have got wonders, I am not sure if something was not done properly, or is it that my vehicle has something wrong within it!!!
Old 28th July 2009, 13:34   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkavthekar View Post
All,

Couple of weeks back, I ordered Vitamin Package + High performance Diesel Engine Oil from Speedworks and here is my experience
==============
Please note on my last tankful, I got average of 18.35kmpl.

take care and drive safely
Update :- I filled my tank again yesterday after my car run around 500Kms. Engine is smoother and pickup is better than pre treatment. I use to have issues in overtaking, which has lessen to an extent. Engine noise is same and cold start shivers are almost non existent.

Average - 18.03kmpl. So no change in average.

takecare and drive safely

Last edited by Jaggu : 29th July 2009 at 10:56. Reason: Avoid quoting and entire large post please.
Old 28th July 2009, 14:49   #253
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since others seems to have got wonders, I am not sure if something was not done properly, or is it that my vehicle has something wrong within it!!!
It sure is difficult to say in your case. Perhaps you can ask Farhan about it and get his opinion as he would have surely seen such cases before.
Old 28th July 2009, 16:52   #254
BHPian

Quote:
-good pull in the 3rd gear
-FE seems to have increased a bit.
Apart from that, nothing else. Engine noise is as it was earlier, gear change is also the same.
I too have felt a slight improvement in throttle response and a marked one in FE after 1 can of 360. In a realistic scenario, I think this is as good as it gets. Of course, the slight whining and shuddering from the engine have disappeared, but this is because of the Mobil1 fully synthetic in the crankcase. I don't think 360, being a fuel system cleaner, can really help with these.
Gear change would probably improve with fully synthetic gearbox oil, but at Rs 2100/l I am not going to try this anytime soon.
I am planning to use another can of 360 in my tank shortly as the first does not seem to have done the job completely.
Old 28th July 2009, 17:18   #255
Senior - BHPian

^^ Yes Roy, there is a good marked improvement when the 360 was added. Still have the same response. Happy about that.

But for the gear - I had added the OWS gear treatment to the gear oil when I changed it. But not much of help.

I do have some oil leak, enough to wet the casing, but not enough to drip on the floor, so I am sure that is not yet a major issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks