Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2009, 01:21   #226
BHPian

@rupinder - At 85k kms, OWS 360 should definitely help. Although not sure about other OWS products like 220.
Old 13th July 2009, 10:32   #227
BHPian

All,

Couple of weeks back, I ordered Vitamin Package + High performance Diesel Engine Oil from Speedworks and here is my experience

1. Background - I first saw this thread since it came alive about 1.5 months ago and was amazed to read the experiences of fellow members. Since my Indica NA Diesel has run over 1 lakh and was due for Oil Change, I thought of pampering my Indica with OWS oil. The pickup of late had gone down so much so that every time I encountered a climb or needed sudden acceleration for over taking, I had to switch off my AC. Though this is quite common phenomenon in Indicas, I remember that I didn't have to do it every time in her "younger" days. So, I thought of getting in touch with Farhan and have a chat with him.

2. Buying experience - I sent out PM to Farhan explaining the symptoms of my car and asking his advice. He suggested me Vitamin package and High performance Diesel Engine oil. After brooding over it for couple of days, I decided to take the plunge and ordered the package.

3. The Package - I received the same in 3-4 working days. Contents were - Oil Flush, Engine Oil, Engine Oil Protector and 2 cans of Fuel additive. I was happy with the prompt service, though, the packaging could have been better. All the cannisters had lost their shape as they got pressed in the transit, but, thankfully no leakage. They all had seals under the cap. Engine Oil can was in proper shape and no leakage there as well. However, there was no seal under the cap of oil can.

4. The "Works" - I went to my cousin, who has garage and as instructed by Farhan, went through the ritual of Oil Flush, Oil Filter and Oil Change, and finally, added 2 cans of Fuel addetive to tankful of Diesel. Indica needs 4.5 litres of Engine oil. The can I received was 4 ltrs and Oil additive was 300ml with both combined to 4.3Ltrs. its still 200ml short but when checked with dip stick after shutting engine over an hour, it was at top level indicator, so not bothering to add 200ml more. Not sure if the OWS engine oil is available in small package.

5. The "Results" - Well, like fellow members, I cannot put the figures in terms of "%" to the improvements that I felt. I have driven the car for almost 100 odd kms and I do feel there is slight improvement in the pickup. I can keep my AC On while overtaking. Engine does feels smooth. I did not notice any change in the engine noise though, atleast while at idling.

I guess, with more running on the current tankful, the car with get lil more smoother and have a better pickup that the improved one. I guess, I had done Bardhal treatment at 70K and nothing of that sort there after. A couple of oil flushes with usage of Synthetic High performance Diesel Engine Oil, and fuel additive, the performance may increase a little more.

Please note on my last tankful, I got average of 18.35kmpl.

take care and drive safely
Old 13th July 2009, 12:04   #228
Senior - BHPian

Please post details about the synthetic diesel engine oil you're using for your Indica NA thats run 100,000 kms.
Personally, I think its an overkill to use synthetic on Tata Diesels especially NA.
As per ibm_Jeniffer's posts, the Flush that works well on petrols aren't that efficient at cleaning diesels. I remember seeing a picture of his sump having stubborn sludge stuck to the bottom of it even after the flush.
Old 13th July 2009, 14:20   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please post details about the synthetic diesel engine oil you're using for your Indica NA thats run 100,000 kms.

Personally, I think its an overkill to use synthetic on Tata Diesels especially NA.
Why nitrous, WHy?

Quote:
As per ibm_Jeniffer's posts, the Flush that works well on petrols aren't that efficient at cleaning diesels. I remember seeing a picture of his sump having stubborn sludge stuck to the bottom of it even after the flush.
I beg to differ here..IBM_Js posts have a lot of pictures and talk but guess he has a different idea about how de-carb works..

And please remember, any flush added to the oil / gas / diesel will NOT be as effective as manual cleaning.
Old 13th July 2009, 15:53   #230
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
IMO, 15k is a little early for a new car. I think you should wait for 20k at least.
Eddy,

If its a 15,000 kms service, then I am certain that he was running on mineral oil so won't the engine have to be flushed before the synthetic OWS is added?

I flushed my engine at the 10,000 kms service when I switched to Mobil 1 from the stock mineral oil.

Would help if you clarify.

Thanks,
gpa
Old 13th July 2009, 16:01   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Eddy,

If its a 15,000 kms service, then I am certain that he was running on mineral oil so won't the engine have to be flushed before the synthetic OWS is added?

I flushed my engine at the 10,000 kms service when I switched to Mobil 1 from the stock mineral oil.

Would help if you clarify.

Thanks,
gpa
Yes. would like to know the same.
I have emailed speedworks regarding OWS products. Does anyone know whom to contact on forum ?
Old 13th July 2009, 16:04   #232
BHPian

I don't have more details on the same. Unfortunately, I left the empty can at my cousin's workshop. But here is the picture of the can from the net

OWS Goodies in my baby: A pleasant change-ows-15w40.jpg

take care and drive safely
Old 13th July 2009, 16:19   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisarg86 View Post
. Does anyone know whom to contact on forum ?
Name: Farhan Vohra
TBHP ID : sideways
Old 13th July 2009, 16:48   #234
Senior - BHPian

This looks like some good stuff,have seen the difference shell oils make and this can only be better.
Old 14th July 2009, 14:58   #235
Senior - BHPian

Ok, I have a small problem. Have been using OWS in my car. Recently there was a leak as the oil filter got broken due some impact under the belly. I noticed it bit late and found that almost half of the oil was drained out. Now I've filled up with normal engine oil(1.75 ltrs) which is available at the service station for temporary running. This was done last friday. I've run the car for around 100/150kms. So now that normal oil got mixed up with synthetic oil do I again need to do flushing? Or can I just run the mixed engine oil out and pour in Synthetic oil without any flushing? Please please reply.
Old 14th July 2009, 15:52   #236
Senior - BHPian

I think you need to get it flushed once..
Old 15th July 2009, 11:14   #237
Team-BHP Support

Just drain the oil "completely out" and refill along with a new filter.
Old 15th July 2009, 16:53   #238
Senior - BHPian

Draining out seems to be cost-effective method for me he he. Is there anything in particular I need to take care of while draining out the current oil? Or just waiting for a longer duration to have every drop oil to come out will do?
Old 15th July 2009, 17:26   #239
Team-BHP Support

Leave the filling cap and dip stick open so that air enters easier and allow full and proper drain, wait for 10-15 mts if you can after you open the drain plug, remove and change the filter. Wait for another 5 mts and then put the drain plug back and fill new oil.
Old 15th July 2009, 17:40   #240
Senior - BHPian

@Kaushik,

And do ensure that the oil is at operating temperature when doing the drain.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks