Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2007, 14:55   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I have fitted the inlet alongside my petrol inlet within the cap itself, so it is not visible, at the same time, i have to just operate the release lever as i do for petrol.cheers
This is exactly how I have installed mine too. Looks neat and no one will know you run on LPG by looking at your car.
Old 1st March 2007, 15:00   #47
Senior - BHPian

On a recent visit to a LPG tuner, I was told that I need to change my air filter every 5000kms. Is that really required? Maruti suggests change in 20000kms only.

I have the following queries:

1. What the connection between the air filter and running on LPG?
2. Will converting to K&N or any free flow filter help?
3. What needs to kept in mind while tuning for the increased airflow?
Old 1st March 2007, 15:18   #48
Senior - BHPian

My limited understanding of LPG says that

1. Since LPG is liquid, it requires free flowing air to be vaporised. Hence the insistence of clean fuel filters.
2. Something i ve been wanting to try myself. Feel it will work well.
3. Obviously the performance should not drop too much.
Old 1st March 2007, 15:42   #49
Senior - BHPian

Ajo,I recommend both U and John get K&N stock replacement filters.
300% air flow will give u optimal combustion which means better FE and power.
Also, U dont need to change it ever. U just need to clean it and re-oil it once in 20 to 30,000 kms.
Btw, The LPG inlet is recommended to be kept in the open becos in the case of a collision, the gases in the tank expand and come out through the inlet.
Old 1st March 2007, 15:51   #50
BHPian

LPG is liquid at certain high pressure above atmospheric pressure.....so when inlet opens & pressure drops it tunrns into vapour.....gas is being sucked by pressure difference unlike petrol which is sent through fuel pumps....

about air filter....we normally have paper filters which are porous & hygroscopic....so in humid atmosphere they collect dirt with moisture which penetrates filter paper & restricts the flow......this happens continuously...so within few months air filter works with degraded performance without our notice.....even if we clean filter,particles trapped inside layers of paper remains trapped...with lpg this gives more trouble as performance is seriously affected......so its desirable to clean filter regularly & replace at certain periods say 5000 km onwards....using K & N definitely help....you need not worry about frequent cleaning.....I havent yet cleaned filter after more then 18000 km.....

Enjoy...
Old 1st March 2007, 18:23   #51
Senior - BHPian

Seems like there is good support and logic in using free flow filters. The issue, I cannot convert to conical due to space contraint. Does any other brands apart from K&N have replacement type free flow filters? Nitrous, does Ractive have this?

Finetuning, most LPG tuners are unaware (atleast in chennai) of freeflow filters. What do I ask them to do while tuning since I am not sure whether they understand the working principle of free flows?
Old 1st March 2007, 18:56   #52
Team-BHP Support

putting k&n doesnt give you that much peace of mind wrt maintanence, it is a better filter but regular cleaning is required for performance, especially in our indian condition.

yes they can be washed and re used after oiling unlike regular filter but they do require some attention if you are looking at optimum performance

check with your local dealer they should have replacement filter
Old 1st March 2007, 20:21   #53
Senior - BHPian

i do clean my air filters every week considering the dust levels in & around koyambedu & mogappair.
Old 1st March 2007, 21:30   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
Does any other brands apart from K&N have replacement type free flow filters? Nitrous, does Ractive have this?
U cant have ur cake and eat it too!
Since urs is a MPFI car and is no longer under warranty(post LPG),id suggest the Ractive conical.I'll try to arrange the piping.IF not,u'll have to get the K&N stock replacement.
Quote:
putting k&n doesnt give you that much peace of mind wrt maintanence, it is a better filter but regular cleaning is required for performance, especially in our indian condition.
Jaggu, I disagree.
K&N filters have proven to work efficiently even with 1.8" thickness of dust on it.It filters upto 2 micron size dust particles whereas the regular ones do 7 microns.
I've been using the Ractive filter(dry type) in my car for over 25,000 kms now. It even got wet during the monsoon floods and still works fine.Though,It needs proper cleaning now with the K&N cleaning kit.

Last edited by nitrous : 1st March 2007 at 21:33.
Old 1st March 2007, 23:17   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i do clean my air filters every week considering the dust levels in & around koyambedu & mogappair.
How do you clean them assuming you have a regular paper type filter? The regular compressed air blow or something new?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
U cant have ur cake and eat it too!
Since urs is a MPFI car and is no longer under warranty(post LPG),id suggest the Ractive conical.I'll try to arrange the piping.IF not,u'll have to get the K&N stock replacement.
I think I may stick to the stock type. Piping is a headache and it may restrict access to some components on an already packed engine bay. The mechanic had a tough time fixing the horns and the LPG kit.
Old 2nd March 2007, 12:17   #56
Senior - BHPian

I just use the blower in my vaccum cleaner if i do it at home or use the air compressor when i visit my mechanic. works wonders for the pick up.
Old 2nd March 2007, 18:51   #57
Senior - BHPian

have you anybody confirmed if the fuel injector keep working when the car is in lpg mode?
i think the fuel pump goes of once the car is running in lpg. will try to confirm both if possible, but if anyone has found out let us know
Old 2nd March 2007, 21:09   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
have you anybody confirmed if the fuel injector keep working when the car is in lpg mode?
i think the fuel pump goes of once the car is running in lpg. will try to confirm both if possible, but if anyone has found out let us know
The injectors have to stop, else they will conk without fuel and lubrication. The emulator cuts signals to the injectors. You can also start the car on LPG. Just press the second switch and it starts on LPG.
Old 7th March 2007, 18:00   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just use the blower in my vaccum cleaner if i do it at home or use the air compressor when i visit my mechanic. works wonders for the pick up.
This really works..Tried it and am happy. Is there any other solution to this other than using free flow filters?

What other regular mantainence do we need to do?
Old 7th March 2007, 18:10   #60
Senior - BHPian

Solution 1: use free flow filters
Solution 2: clean your air filters often.
Solution 3 : ???? i dont know.

There are no regular maintanence that i know of. Just drive & dont worry.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks