Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2005, 01:36   #1
BHPian

Know about LPG Conversion....

I met this guy who is good technically and is in the auto-gas conversion business for almost 9 years. I asked him if it's ok to convert my opel astra into gas..... obviously he said... "it would be absolutely fine"... then I started to raise my doubts like many others... I asked him whether the engine would be damaged if we put gas and would it be risky to put lpg gas kit..... and many more doubts which checked his patience.... but the guy was cool.... and replied to me really good...... the guy was saying that when we install a lpg gas in the car we shouldn't put more than 5lts of petrol in the car because when we run the car in the gas mode... though we are not using the petrol there it still circulates through in the way that.... it tries to reach the engine and is sent back by the system which we use for the lpg..... so in the process this petrol loses it's octane value with time.... so we should go for speed and etc. which has more octane levels.. and suppose we go for something 100kms everyday with lpg..... we should run the car every now and then before it loses it's octane level and fill more 3-5 lts of petroal again depending on how much you have you have run on petrol but we have to make sure that we don't have more than 5lts of petrol in the tank because you put more petrol in the car and your car is running on lpg gas..... in the process of circulation if the petrol loses it's octane level and you try to run your car in petrol mode if kind of chokes and it harms your engine.... so you have to keep running your car with petrol atleast once a week. The guy also said.... if we run the car in petrol mode.... it also will stop the prevention blocking of valves.

SO.... I felt it all is getting into a big mess because what I understood is lpg gas is not the absolute alternative for petrol... we just try to expolit the weekness of our engine......"BURNING".... I'm not the kinda guy who would like to bother my engine in that way..... My heart said a big NO.... so wouldn't go for it....

LPG is nothing but cashing on your engine's weekness.... so are you the guy who exploits his engine....??????
Old 23rd July 2005, 02:55   #2
BANNED

was thinking of converting my opel to lpg..but good you told me about this...i dont know what to do about my opel as it gives me an average of 7
Old 23rd July 2005, 03:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

You guys need to do a search. There was this guy with a Corsa 1.4 MPfi from Hyd who did a gas conversion. He was v happy with the results and also posted pics. If if works for Corsa it should work for the Astra.
Old 23rd July 2005, 03:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonycs
in the gas mode... though we are not using the petrol there it still circulates through in the way that
That's probably because the electric fuel pump is running all the time. Its a waste of battery power, not to mention petrol. The kit has to be designed so that the fuel pump is turned off when its running in gas mode which means you need some kind of ECU. In carb cars this is not an issue.

As far as lubing the valves, that's only in leaded petrol. Newer cars that are designed for unleaded will do fine. The octane derating story, I find it hard to believe....seems like some rerefining is going on in there.
Old 23rd July 2005, 09:57   #5
BHPian

They generally say.... it's a must to run your car with petrol every now and then... though U r fitted with lpg kit. Think of this"why are they insisting?" unless there is something that's not really correct about what's happening in the engine.

I agree people use lpg kits and might be happy but my point is not that.... is it really correct and don't you love your car?
Old 23rd July 2005, 11:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Honda officially sells a CNG Civic in the USA. What do you have to say to that. U think Honda dosen't love engines?
Old 23rd July 2005, 18:06   #7
BHPian

Quote:
I met this guy who is good technically and is in the auto-gas conversion business for almost 9 years. I asked him if it's ok to convert my opel astra into gas..... obviously he said... "it would be absolutely fine"... then I started to raise my doubts like many try to run your car in petrol mode if kind of chokes and it harms your engine.... so you have to keep running your car with petrol atleast once a week. The guy also said.... if we run the car in petrol engine......"BURNING".... I'm not the kinda guy who would like to bother my engine in that way..... My heart said a big NO.... so wouldn't go for it....

LPG is nothing but cashing on your engine's weekness.... so are you the guy who exploits his engine....??????
Dear friend ..
After reading all this , i just feel that you have had bad advise ....
I have a CORSA and A ASTRA ... both running on Legal LPG tank kits ...
Corsa was converted in Sep 2003 almost two years back and i have done 36 k Kms since then ... absolutely No problems ...
I conbverted my Astra just last month and already have done about 1500 kms .. again No problems ...
the technology is absolutely New Generation and Good ... but us indians always doubt the new technology ..
It all depends on using the correct kit and the Kit has to fitted properly , then there is absolutely No problems ...
My corsa has an ECU for the Gas Kit and i did 175 KMPH on that ...
you have got the basics wrong by that fellow , Dude ...

LEGAL AUTO LPG KIT IS SAFE AND GOOD AND VERY MUCH ECONOMICAL

Last edited by haryan : 23rd July 2005 at 18:21.
Old 23rd July 2005, 18:08   #8
BHPian

Quote:
They generally say.... it's a must to run your car with petrol every now and then... though U r fitted with lpg kit. Think of this"why are they insisting?" unless there is something that's not really correct about what's happening in the engine.

?
they inisit because if you run your car totally on LPG your fuel Nozzles will get blocked and they are very expensive to replace ... thats why they insist ... so that you do not lose money
Old 23rd July 2005, 18:19   #9
BHPian

Dear Sonycs ..
after replying to your messages , i see that you are also from Hyd ...
First of all .. I welcome you to this forum ...
and i would like to know with whom you discussed about this LPG kit conversion ...
this new technology has been introduced in Hyd in 2001 only .. THE LEGAL kit ..
so if your friend was doing conversions for 9 years , then he must have been doing on illegal LPG home cylinder kits ...
these new generation kits are highly advanced to those old generation gas cylinder kits ...
I have a friend who is the FIRST PERSON TO GET permission from AP GOVT .. to start these LPG kit conversions centres .. he is one of the pioneers in Gas conversions ( Home gas cylinder kits ) and in Legal LPG Auto Kits .... if you want all your doubts clarified , you can meet up with him and clarify your doubts and then if you are convinced, then you can get your car converted at his workshop only ...
you can contact me whenver you can ...
Old 23rd July 2005, 19:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haryan
My corsa has an ECU for the Gas Kit and i did 175 KMPH on that ...
you have got the basics wrong by that fellow
haryan, do you know of any NHCs being converted and how succesful the conversion is. Thx
Old 23rd July 2005, 20:07   #11
anupam9055

if not lpg then to something else cause petrol prices are going to go up ......... almost to rs55/lit
some other alternative has to be there

Old 23rd July 2005, 20:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

55rs/lit

when? where? how?

besides one question for LPG kit

where do you put your spare tyre? since i assume the tank will be fixed in boot & even for a sedan it will take half space! will be a real pain taking spare tyre when needed

what about its practicality
Old 23rd July 2005, 21:42   #13
Team-BHP Support

civic gx ngv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Honda officially sells a CNG Civic in the USA
which is currently available only in the state of California.

check out the article below:

"Is the natural-gas Civic GX the cleanest internal-combustion vehicle on Earth?
The EPA certainly thinks so. And in March of 2005, California motorists will have the opportunity to buy this environmentally conscious, natural-gas vehicle from select Honda dealers. (The GX will eventually be available nationwide.) The GX has everything you'd expect from a Civic, like a roomy cabin and responsive acceleration. But GX owners can also experience the convenience of filling up their tanks at home with a compact home refueling station called Phill. And California GX owners are even eligible to access carpool lanes. Although the Civic GX is a revolutionary vehicle, it's actually been on the streets and enjoyed by fleet operators since 1998. Maybe it's the right vehicle for you."

Source: Civic GX NGV

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd July 2005 at 21:43. Reason: modifying content
Old 23rd July 2005, 23:38   #14
BHPian

Has anyone tried LPG conversions in Bangalore? What does it cost and would anyone give me the details of authorized folks in Bangalore?
Old 24th July 2005, 00:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haryan
they inisit because if you run your car totally on LPG your fuel Nozzles will get blocked and they are very expensive to replace ... thats why they insist ... so that you do not lose money
Well you are asked to start your car on petrol and then move on to LPG. As for the MPFI car's please remember the ECU continues pulsing the Injectors without any fuel being supplied to them and yes this could damage the injectors.

However let us get this straight you either run on LPG or on Petrol the engine continues to perform its task. You do harm the additional items fitted to the engine but the engine continues to run. The petrol mode is an option for you to get back home in case of an issues or running outta gas...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks