Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2010, 19:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

@Kollamraja, thanks for the link ! Was an interesting and informative post, and answered a lot of my queries
Old 17th August 2010, 21:07   #17
BHPian

Kindly refer to the following point which I raised in my post yesterday.
"4. There is a slider on the dash board for selecting either the air recirculation mode or the fresh air mode while using AC. This slider is a plastic one which broke from inside two times. TATA replaced is free of cost first time. Second time, as mentioned in the above point, the car is in the service station. I do not know whether tata will do it free since it is a plastic part."
I am attaching a photo (sorry. photo not very clear) of the two broken slider parts. You can observe that the breakage occurred at the same point of the part. Since the 'breaking point' is inside the dashboard, it is obvious that no user can intentionally break at this point. IT IS A CLEAR MANUFACTURING DEFICIENCY. The strength of the plastic part is simply not sufficient to mechanically control the opening/closing mechanism.

Kindly help me how to add a jpeg image into the post.........
Old 17th August 2010, 21:47   #18
BHPian

1. When I took my Nano LX for second service (at 5000 kms), they changed the fuel lines under warranty. I was not facing any problem... May be some manufacturing defect they located...

2. After going through the experience of KollamRaja, I think all NANO owners should ask tata to change the starter motor. Especially, if you face any starting trouble, do not continue driving the car. Take it to the service centre immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kollamraja View Post
Hi Mr.Mohanan,

I'm Raja from Kollam and I got delivery of my Nano CX in March 2010. Done a little over 4100 kms so far. I luv my Nano. We seem to have faced similar issues though.

The blind spot: The pillars on either side of the front wind screen ( I think they call it the A-Pillar) are killers. While crossing an intersection or turning into a road, they almost completely obstruct your view. After initial near-misses, I quickly trained myself to check traffic through both my front door glasses.

Starter Motor:My starter motor got burnt a few days after it showed signs of 'missing' just are you are experiencing now. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1927258

A/c circulation selector: I use it very sparingly so haven't given it a chance to break. But twice-in-a-row must take some doing

A/c filter: At around 4000 KMs I felt the a/c blower was weak and got it checked. The mechanic tells me that the filter was clogged with dust. After tolerating the sluggish blower for a few weeks, now the blower feels like gale-force even at level 1. I hope the fellow didn't forget to put back the cleaned filter!

I'd like yours as well as other Nano users' opinion on the Nano's ride comfort. Personally I think its the Nano's weak spot. Travelling even over moderately rough roads is quite jarring, especially if you are travelling alone or with just one passanger. And my town seems to have only rough roads, including the NH 47. I'm not a techie, so I can only say that the suspension is not good enough and the small wheels only compound the problem. The seats too could do with more cushioning.
I find that the ride comfort of the nano is not that bad. But for the last 1 year I was driving my mahindra commander jeep. So, my assessment on the ride comfort of nano may not be correct !!! But, my family members are very happy with the nano ride. Earlier when I was having an alto, my wife used to get back pain after long travel (say 100+ kms), but in the nano, they are very healthy and happy. For my father, who has crossed 84 years, getting in and out of nano feels very good.
Attached Thumbnails
TATA nano - List of ALL issues-img0994a.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th August 2010 at 23:08. Reason: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 17th August 2010, 23:00   #19
BHPian

I am a music lover. My everyday drive is about 2 hours. Music is my only companion. My family trips are very rare.

When I owned the new nano, I wished to install a good DVD player in it.
But, I was told by the dealer that only tata approved music systems can be fitted in the nano. I checked the options available. I was expecting that standard brands like pioneer, sony, jvc etc will be there in the option list.
To my disappointment, only 3 stereos were available. Surprisingly, one of them
was having a card reader as songs input, other one MP3 CD etc.. I did not like
any of them. No DVD player option.

Since the dealer has warned me that the warranty will be void if I fit third party stereo, I did not want to take any risk. There were already reports of cars catching fire etc. So, I was left with no songs in my nano for the last
4 months.

Now I am assembling a system which can play all movies and draw power from the cigar lighter !!! It is nearing completion. For this, I got a new cigar lighter socket fitted by the authorised service centre for installing my video unit.

The photo in my last posting was that of the broken air control slider in the dash board. Two times it was broken. At almost the same point. The broken pieces are shown in the photograph. The angle of photograph of the two pieces are perpendicular. That is why they look different. Both are identical pieces.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th August 2010 at 23:09. Reason: Please await mod aporval to EDIT the original post during new member status. Thanks
Old 18th August 2010, 13:08   #20
BHPian

What is everyone's take on the car's performance in 4th gear? What I noticed is that its quite peppy up till the 3rd gear which can hit 60 k/hr comfortably. But once I upshift to 4th, the vehicle really labours. I own a BS3 Nano CX.

@KMohanan do you recall how much you were quoted for the stereos? In blore, the dealer is asking 9k incl installation.
Old 18th August 2010, 13:29   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashw_r View Post
But once I upshift to 4th, the vehicle really labours. I own a BS3 Nano CX.
Mine is a BS3 Nano CX too and it does seem to strain when I shift to 4th gear at 40 - 45 kph. However it still manages to build up momentum and by time it touched 50 kph the engine starts to sound healthy again.
I have driven Nano Basic ( no ac ) and Nano CX BSII ( with ac ) and found this engine straining phenomenon in only the CX BSIII. I also found the CX BSII peppier in general than the CX BSIII. For obvious reasons the Nano Basic ( no ac ) was the peppiest!

How do you like the ride comfort? I hate to go over even moderately rough roads. But some others have no major complaints even from elderly persons riding in the rear seats. Either the roads are better or my Nano's suspension needs checking.
Old 18th August 2010, 14:56   #22
BHPian

Quote:
How do you like the ride comfort? I hate to go over even moderately rough roads. But some others have no major complaints even from elderly persons riding in the rear seats. Either the roads are better or my Nano's suspension needs checking.
Ride comfort is not to my liking. I tend to be drive slowly on bad roads as otherwise it lets out a disturbing thud over small craters. Also, passengers in the rear seats complain about a bumpy ride.

One other thing, does your silencer bounce if you go over road humps? I keep getting warned by other motorists when this happens. I suspect this is a design thing and there is nothing to worry about but wanted to know other opinions.

PS: - All things said, I am a fan of this car and I think Tata has done a fabulous job. I realize, I might need to adjust my expectations from the cheapest car around.
Old 18th August 2010, 15:30   #23
BHPian

Quote:
One other thing, does your silencer bounce if you go over road humps? I keep getting warned by other motorists when this happens. I suspect this is a design thing and there is nothing to worry about but wanted to know other opinions.

PS: - All things said, I am a fan of this car and I think Tata has done a fabulous job. I realize, I might need to adjust my expectations from the cheapest car around.
I too am an unabashed admirer of the Nano but certain shortcomings need to be addressed. I've listed positives and negatives here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1935799

No one has yet told me about my silencer bouncing. May be something securing the silencer is broken or missing. I don't think silencers normally bounce that way. Better have it checked before it develops a crack.
Old 18th August 2010, 21:05   #24
BHPian

Quote:
What is everyone's take on the car's performance in 4th gear? What I noticed is that its quite peppy up till the 3rd gear which can hit 60 k/hr comfortably. But once I upshift to 4th, the vehicle really labours. I own a BS3 Nano CX.

@KMohanan do you recall how much you were quoted for the stereos? In blore, the dealer is asking 9k incl installation.
Three options were available.
1. Nippon-202U (Bluetooth/CD Mp3 / USB / Aux-in / FM) - 9490.00
2. Clarion - Mirage (Blue tooth / Mp3-2GB SD Card / FM) - 8790.00
3. Nippon - 101u (CD Mp3 / USB / Aux-in / FM) - 7990.00
Cost includes 1 set of speakers (at front only. no rear speakers), Antenna and wiring)
Old 18th August 2010, 21:21   #25
BHPian

Quote:

While i used to drive Maruti 800 comfortably at 35 kmph in fourth gear, I find nano needs atleast 45 kmph to be comfortable in fourth. I think it is intentionally made so to improve the fuel economy. But, many new drivers will find it difficult to drive at 50+ kmph in many stretches of our country roads !!!
Old 19th August 2010, 07:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
I find nano needs atleast 45 kmph to be comfortable in fourth
What does the owner's manual say on the recommended speed for each gear ?

I just saw the Nano specs, which says that the 4th gear has an "overdrive". I think this is usually provided to offer better high speed cruising (refer link below) :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overdrive_(mechanics)

The absence of the 5th gear in the Nano has probably led to the situation where the 4th gear ratio has been kept taller, so that one may need to touch 40 to 45 kmph, before feeling a reasonable degree of torque in the 4th.

Last edited by mooza : 19th August 2010 at 07:41.
Old 19th August 2010, 22:06   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
What does the owner's manual say on the recommended speed for each gear ?

I just saw the Nano specs, which says that the 4th gear has an "overdrive". I think this is usually provided to offer better high speed cruising (refer link below) :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overdrive_(mechanics)

The absence of the 5th gear in the Nano has probably led to the situation where the 4th gear ratio has been kept taller, so that one may need to touch 40 to 45 kmph, before feeling a reasonable degree of torque in the 4th.
The owner's manual does not mention anything about the minimum speed in each gear. But, the manual mentions about the fuel economy range in each gear (scanned page attached). Please note that the fuel economy range of fourth gear is 50 to 70 kmph. This 'almost' indicates that the engine-healthy minimum speed in fourth gear is 50 kmph. In experience also, 50 - 70 kmph is very very comfortable

cruising in nano.

Now, regarding overdrive, the Wikipedia reference defines 'overdrive' as follows :
It also refers to a combination of gearing inside a transmission or transaxle which results in the output speed being greater than the input speed. In the latter case, "overdrive" does not refer to a physically separate identifiable part/assembly.
This means that a gear is overdrive if the gear ration is less than 1. The gear ratios of nano are given in the owner's manual. scanned copy enclosed. It may be noted that the gear ratio of the fourth gear is 0.838 This means that the fourth gear of nano is overdrive. Such a tall gear ratio must have been kept for the interest of fuel economy at the 'mostly driven' 50-70 kmph range.
Attached Thumbnails
TATA nano - List of ALL issues-nanooverdrive.jpg  

Old 19th August 2010, 22:34   #28
BHPian

A/C Circulation selector : To be used frequently ??

Quote:
Hi Mr.Mohanan,

I'm Raja from Kollam and I got delivery of my Nano CX in March 2010. Done a little over 4100 kms so far. I luv my Nano. We seem to have faced similar issues though.

The blind spot: The pillars on either side of the front wind screen ( I think they call it the A-Pillar) are killers. While crossing an intersection or turning into a road, they almost completely obstruct your view. After initial near-misses, I quickly trained myself to check traffic through both my front door glasses.

Starter Motor:My starter motor got burnt a few days after it showed signs of 'missing' just are you are experiencing now. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1927258

A/c circulation selector: I use it very sparingly so haven't given it a chance to break. But twice-in-a-row must take some doing

A/c filter: At around 4000 KMs I felt the a/c blower was weak and got it checked. The mechanic tells me that the filter was clogged with dust. After tolerating the sluggish blower for a few weeks, now the blower feels like gale-force even at level 1. I hope the fellow didn't forget to put back the cleaned filter!

I'd like yours as well as other Nano users' opinion on the Nano's ride comfort. Personally I think its the Nano's weak spot. Travelling even over moderately rough roads is quite jarring, especially if you are travelling alone or with just one passanger. And my town seems to have only rough roads, including the NH 47. I'm not a techie, so I can only say that the suspension is not good enough and the small wheels only compound the problem. The seats too could do with more cushioning.
Regarding the A/C Circulation selector : The selector slider broke two times in my car because I use this selector frequently. I understand that some are not at all using it or very rarely use it. The reason for my frequent usage is based on one important page in the owner's manual. Copy of the page attached herewith. Kindly read my comments in the attachment also.

Regarding this battery issue, I wanted to get an official clarification from tata motors. So, I sent a mail to tata motors. The content of my mail given below :

I received my tata nano last week. The owners manual clearly says that "during normal operation the battery produces explosive and flammable gases". But the battery is kept inside the cabin under driver's seat !!! In nano ac versions, with all glasses closed, won't it kill

the passengers ?? If not instantly, a slow killing ?? Request kindly get the battery of the car shifted to the front compartment under the bonnet. Many educated people have this doubt. Request kindly do the needful before people start reacting...

I am very happy to find the quick response from our beloved tata motors.
The reply is also given below for your information :

This is in reference to your email dated 29.03.10

We would like to thank you for choosing Tata Nano car & take this opportunity to welcome you in the Tata Motors customer family.

Regarding your query on the battery we wish to inform you that the positioning of it causes no harm to the occupants & the car has been thoroughly tested by the competent agencies before clearing it for marketing. We would request you not to have any apprehension regarding the same & assure you that the new car would provide you full satisfaction.

For any support / assistance feel free to contact our Regional office, Chennai on 044 - 66500900

HAPPY MOTORING

Thanking you
For Tata Motors

Customer Care Team
Mumbai

In spite of all the above, some of my friends who are better knowledgeable in battery technology say that there is a small gas discharge hole on top of even sealed batteries, and battery will discharge small quantities of gases like hydrogen.

My knowledge in this area is limited. Request knowledgeable people comment on this issue.

UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES I INDICATED ABOVE, I STARTED USING THE A/C CIRCULATION SLIDER MORE FREQUENTLY FOR MORE FRESH AIR EXCHANGE AND as a result, the slider came to my hand two times !!!!!
Old 25th August 2010, 15:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

Ah, nice to see many more nano owners joining this thread, I should start checking it more frequently!!

Quote:
I am K. Mohanan from Kochi, Kerala. Got delivery of Nano LX in March, 2010. So far I have
covered more than 7000 kms.
Welcome aboard...

Quote:
1. Horn stopped working.
Glad it was a simple fix, welcome to Tata and their "dont care a lot attitude". (they do care a bit, you know)

Quote:
2. Be very very careful, my friends. There is a blind zone on the right side corner glass area.
Welcome to the nano-Has-a-crappy-A-pillar club

Quote:
3. After about 5000 kms running, the starter gave trouble. 3-4 times, it did not start. only a feeble 'click' 'click' sound
Hmm, so more guys having this issue. Either the solenoid is overly caliberated or too weakly caliberated - both ways - it is a realPain to live with. My starter motor is showing lot of click-click moments and it is a pain to drive in city traffic!!

Quote:
Thanks to tata, but service centres are not upto the expectations.
Welcome, again!!

Quote:
A/c filter: At around 4000 KMs I felt the a/c blower was weak and got it checked. The mechanic tells me that the filter was clogged with dust.
A new problem faced by you, eh? Can you tell us where is this 'A/c Filter'? May be we can do a do-it-yourself job going forward.

Quote:
For my father, who has crossed 84 years, getting in and out of nano feels very good.
Love the ingress angle of this tiny car, Real TALL boy design.

Quote:
I am a music lover.
Ouch - cant be a lover in a nano...!!

Quote:
...I was told by the dealer that only tata approved music systems can be fitted in the nano....Since the dealer has warned me that the warranty will be void if I fit third party stereo
Did you learn why? nano has NO, Absolutely NO wiring output for a Audio system in its main wiring harness. Every car, even a 800 has a wire ready to power a HeadUnit-HU, it helps when you switch off/on the ignition - the HU will also switch off/on to prevent a blown fuse... One has to take a direct lead from the BBB - battery-below-bum to power the HU and do your own earthing and -ve to power a AFM HU, which TATA feels is more risky than their design flaws in the 5-6 nano's which caught fire - and thus will void the warranty...!!!

Quote:
Now I am assembling a system which can play all movies and draw power from the cigar lighter !!! It is nearing completion. For this, I got a new cigar lighter socket fitted by the authorised service centre for installing my video unit.
Wont this ciggy lighter VOID the warranty?

If you are not insistent on video's, then try this product. Costs around 500Rs (in bangy), powered by a nokia charger. So you need a 12V (ciggy lighter unit), 1 Nokia car-charger, and this unit. This will sit in the dash, and you can take it backhome... I am planning for this unit...

TATA nano - List of ALL issues-1.jpg

Quote:
Hmm, may be the BIGGER catalytic converter is hampering the BSIII. I stay in BTM 2nd stage, want to try out my BSII? PM me...

Quote:
Try above option, SP road is flodded with such unique chinese creations...

Quote:
One other thing, does your silencer bounce if you go over road humps?
Just a design feature - I have noticed my nano from behind riding a bike, its OK... Since all normal cars have their engine inside a hood, one doesnt notice how much the engine shakes inside it - since the nano's tiny silencer is hardly 1 feet long and so close to the engine, it reflects the way a engine shakes during a ride... If any ABNORMAL sounds pops up - then consider it a warning, else just ride on...

Quote:
Three options were available.
1. Nippon-202U (Bluetooth/CD Mp3 / USB / Aux-in / FM) - 9490.00
2. Clarion - Mirage (Blue tooth / Mp3-2GB SD Card / FM) - 8790.00
3. Nippon - 101u (CD Mp3 / USB / Aux-in / FM) - 7990.00
Cost includes 1 set of speakers (at front only. no rear speakers), Antenna and wiring)
Noooo!!! Spend all this money elsewhere, above audio idea is very good. It is loud and surprisingly CLEAR... plays many card formats including USB, and whole setup comes WELL under 1000INR

Quote:
UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES I INDICATED ABOVE, I STARTED USING THE A/C CIRCULATION SLIDER MORE FREQUENTLY FOR MORE FRESH AIR EXCHANGE...
In all earlier cars I have practiced 10-15mins-switch between the fresh/recirculate, irrespective of battery-below-bum or not. Just to breath better and use the switch for all its worth...

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I learnt one more thing about the chinese audio above - it is RECHARGEABLE...!!! So you NEED NOT do ANY WIRING AT ALL inside the nano...!!

Specs from the chinese website

Product Description
Speaker box DA-11 with USB/SD/MMC
Performance:
* Portable design, product small and easy to carry
* Power switch, volume, size of the adjustment
* Be able to take 3.5 audio interface with all of the audio devices to play music
* Built-in high-capacity lithium battery, can play speakers 3-5 hours.
* Subwoofer (5W)
* SD card / MMC card read, U disc readable, MP3 players
* Remote control
* Power: Lithium battery, USB power cable, power adapter (5 V, 500 mA)
* Speaker Power: 3W +3 W
* Speaker: 52mm, 40hms
* Frequency response: 100-18KHz
* Packing Content: Speaker, USB power cable, 3.5 audio connection cable, Nokia interface.* Product Dimensions: 208 * 170 * 118mm
* Color box size: 257 * 220 * 168mm
* Packing way: 12 sets / box
* NW / GW: 18/19KG
* Carton size: 520 * 464 * 520mm

Last edited by svsantosh : 25th August 2010 at 16:00.
Old 26th August 2010, 10:15   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Can you tell us where is this 'A/c Filter'? May be we can do a do-it-yourself job going forward.
Sorry, I have no idea where the a/c filter is located. I did ask the technician whether I can do the filter cleaning myself and he replied I'll have to get it done only at the TASS.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks