Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2010, 21:22   #61
kkg
BHPian

The charm is losing for sure. Few days back i had one strange problem, my brother started the car and the speedo needle moved till the end i e till 120 kmph (just like in bikes with digital consoles). It returned back to normal and still is functioning normal but yes it happened, I don't know why?

To add to woes, the clutch has become very hard and it quite a pain to drive it in traffic, the feet starts paining. The car has done about 6700 kms.
Old 8th November 2010, 10:36   #62
BHPian

I've seen the speedo needle dip below zero and then come back to normal, but shooting to 120 ??? Strange.
The clutch cable of the Nano does need to be adjusted frequently and some lubrication of the cable will help too. My TASS does it as a matter of routine.
These are minor niggles of the Nano we have to learn to live with. I still maintain that the plus es far out weigh the minus es.
Of course TATA has to pull up its socks in the technicals as well as train the TASS so that the ethos of the company effectively peculates down to the service personnel.

Last edited by kollamraja : 8th November 2010 at 10:39.
Old 8th November 2010, 14:36   #63
BHPian

hello, i don't think there is an filter element for AC. According to my knowledge ac air flow works like this.
the ac blower fan is the one which sits bottom of the ac vents, the fan blows air beneath the evaporator. The air goes through the evaporator coil and get cooled. this air exits through the ac vents in the dash board.
So if you want to clean the ac. clean all the ac vents by removing the grill in front of it (be careful don't break it). the second thing is you can remove the blower fan and clean its blades (the blades are fragile take ultimate care).
The next thing you can clean is the evaporator, but i may suggest not to do this since cleaning it can result in ac leakage and evaporator damage. If evaporator is damaged you have to replace it, there is no option to repair it. The evaporator is costly. If you are ready to take risk use a vacuum cleaner to blow the dust from the evaporator, do not touch the evaporator coils with the Vacuum cleaners horse end. After these 3 steps you will get good clean air.
But dont burn your fingers for clean air. I may suggest you to clean the ac vents removing the grill. Another thing you can try is using the AC Neutraliser foam spray from Gulf. This helps you to solve the bad order. trust me i uses this and its effective.

thanks for reading
Old 16th November 2010, 17:45   #64
BHPian

Is there an AC filter in NANO ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryms View Post
hello, i don't think there is an filter element for AC. According to my knowledge ac air flow works like this.
the ac blower fan is the one which sits bottom of the ac vents, the fan blows air beneath the evaporator. The air goes through the evaporator coil and get cooled. this air exits through the ac vents in the dash board.
So if you want to clean the ac. clean all the ac vents by removing the grill in front of it (be careful don't break it). the second thing is you can remove the blower fan and clean its blades (the blades are fragile take ultimate care).
The next thing you can clean is the evaporator, but i may suggest not to do this since cleaning it can result in ac leakage and evaporator damage. If evaporator is damaged you have to replace it, there is no option to repair it. The evaporator is costly. If you are ready to take risk use a vacuum cleaner to blow the dust from the evaporator, do not touch the evaporator coils with the Vacuum cleaners horse end. After these 3 steps you will get good clean air.
But dont burn your fingers for clean air. I may suggest you to clean the ac vents removing the grill. Another thing you can try is using the AC Neutraliser foam spray from Gulf. This helps you to solve the bad order. trust me i uses this and its effective.

thanks for reading
Kindly refer to my posting in 'Tata Nano' thread on nano AC filter cleaning with some photographs.

I WAS ALSO THINKING IN THE SAME LINES AS YOU ARE THINKING.

First I was thinking, if at all there is a filter, it is to filter out the dust from the outside air when you put the 'circulation mode' to external air. Even if this filter is becoming dusty, the airflow is expected to reduce only when you select external fresh air !!! But I was experiencing the lack of air flow in both the cases (air circulation mode : inside air, outside air) uniformly. This was a confusion to me.

However, once I cleaned the photographed filters, My air flow is as original and all my problems are solved. Now, the AC is blasting and even in hot sun I travel 100+ kms with my complete family inside !!! Since I have not opened and seen the inside working of the nano AC blower mechanism, I am not competent to explain to you how the 'simple' cleaning of the filter solved the air issue. But, IT IS THE TRUTH.
Old 16th November 2010, 19:19   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryms View Post
hello, i don't think there is an filter element for AC....
Hello Harry,

Nothing can be further from the truth. Any AC worth its name will have an air filter at the air intake point. Without it the cooling coils will get stuffed with dust in no time. Please read the post K. Mohanan has referred to. Here's the link to that post.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2127614
Old 1st December 2010, 23:02   #66
BHPian

Tata Nano 12000 kms status update

My tata nano LX BSIII has crossed 12000 kms.

After the 10,000 kms service, the vehicle has become smoother to drive, but mileage
dropped from an average of 20-21 kmpl with AC in almost highway to 19-20 kmpl. May be because the road conditions in kerala has become very bad due to heavy rains.

Other complaints :

1. The clutch is very tight. even after complaining, the service centre could not help. Try the clutch of Tata magic once, you will envy at it !!!
2. The driver side power window is getting jammed when cold. This started after the third service (10,000 kms).
3. There is a sound (something like a loose screw vibrating) from within the dashboard just behind the AC control knob.

Yesterday, one executive from Tata Motors along with another executive from the main dealer at Kochi RF Motors visited me to get all feedbacks. It was a chance for me. I have given all my feeedbacks to them. It took an hour !!! They really had it about the service care !!!
Old 8th December 2010, 17:13   #67
BHPian

Re: TATA nano - List of ALL issues

Hello Raja & Mohan,

What you have said and shown in Picture is right. There is one difference in opinion. All vehicles don't have a blower filter for AC. For your information the list of some vehicles which does not have blower filter is as follows,
Indica, Indica V2,etc.
vehicles which have AC blower filter are as follows,
tata nano, vista,etc.

sometimes what we see may not be true for every case.

i really appreciate Raja from Kollam, without his posting i would have been in the belief that there is no Blower filter in all vehicles.

Thanks
Old 9th December 2010, 14:50   #68
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano 12000 kms status update

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
3. There is a sound (something like a loose screw vibrating) from within the dashboard just behind the AC control knob.

Yesterday, one executive from Tata Motors along with another executive from the main dealer at Kochi RF Motors visited me to get all feedbacks. It was a chance for me. I have given all my feeedbacks to them. It took an hour !!! They really had it about the service care !!!
Same here. I had the same noise cropping up from somewhere around the A/C controls. But it was not present when the blower speed was set to 2. Now all of a sudden, the noise is completely gone!

And, i also feel a judder during the initial move of the car, that is, when the clutch is released slightly and with a little bit of acceleration , the car vibrates a bit in that position of the clutch. The clutch might need some adjustment i guess or my dad's driving needs some adjustment!

Other than that, no complaints here. And i have been getting around 16 km/l purely in the city, i mean completely in 1st, 2nd and rarely in 3rd! (Seriously, the roads towards Ulloor and all are really bad in trivandrum.) Regarding the condition of the trivandrum, i would say SEE IT TO BELIEVE IT!
Old 12th December 2010, 22:11   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
3. There is a sound (something like a loose screw vibrating) from within the dashboard just behind the AC control knob
Damm...!! Same issue. what a coincidence..!!

What was the solution in your case, mine is @ 9500Kms and I am really lazy to go before the 10K service, will wait a few more weeks.

PS-- what was your 10K service bill? Just to be prepared
Old 13th December 2010, 20:43   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Damm...!! Same issue. what a coincidence..!!

What was the solution in your case, mine is @ 9500Kms and I am really lazy to go before the 10K service, will wait a few more weeks.

PS-- what was your 10K service bill? Just to be prepared
I have taken the Tata Value Care Gold package for my nano. I paid Rs. 5000 in addition to the
Rs. 2500 which I paid for the 2 year tata service package during vehicle purchase (So, total amount is Rs. 7500).
This covers all service bills upto 3 years or 30,000 kms whichever is earlier.
This package includes the cost of all consumables like engine oil, gear oil, coolant etc. Hence, I did not pay anything for my 10K service,even though
the engine oil was changed.

Regarding the sound, I am also tolerating that sound till my next service at 15K. (Tata recommended only at 20K, but dealer told to bring the car for service at 15K). I am not able to go in between, because, the tata service centre works strictly from 9 to 5 !!! I will have to take a half day leave to go to the service station.

My nano has covered more than 12500 kms. Engine has become smoother after the 10K service. Clutch is very tight now, there is even a small sound like operating a 'hand drill' when operating the clutch. This also I will have to
wait till the next service. I hope the clutch cable will not break on the way !!!
Previously when I was owning maruti cars, getting the service was very simple, just go to the service station even after the office hours.... But, MARUTI IS DIFFERENT... TATA IS DIFFERENT..
Old 28th January 2011, 22:34   #71
BHPian

Tata Nano : 15000 Km Status Update

My Tata Nano LX has covered 15400 kms. The 15000 kms service is also done at RF Motors, Kochi.
The problems faced :
1. The clutch was very tight. Difficult to drive long distances. Tata service centre changed the Clutch plate, Release bearing and some more things under warantee (see the bill, items marked '2').
2. The sound from inside the dashboard was stopped by the service centre.
3. The tata motors modification kit (offered free) programme was also utilised. (see the bill, items marked '1').
4. Even though I have taken the Tata Value Care Gold scheme, they have charged Rs. 450 for the service saying that the 15000 kms service is not included in the scheme !!!

Now, the nano engine feels much more smooth. The clutch is also light. Not as light as the Ace Magic !!!

Mileage consistent at 20-21 kmpl with AC on always reasonably good roads.
Attached Thumbnails
TATA nano - List of ALL issues-15000servicebill.jpg  

Old 7th February 2011, 14:02   #72
BHPian

Hi Mohanan , thanks for your kind info.
One problem that come up since last 1 month is shifting the gear from 2 to 1 when I am slowing down at speed breakers etc., it required a lots of force to shift.Shifting from 1 to 2 is not a problem, Has any one seen such problem in their vehicles?
Old 8th February 2011, 23:36   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Thats a water cooled engine boss.
Had it been an aircooled engine, it might have been even cheaper. But I still wonder why it was not air-cooled. It is more or less like 2 RE bullet engine (in terms of engine capacity) on the same shaft.
-Ilango

Does the Nano have an electric radiator fan. (I dont see it in the usual position bet rad and engine.)
Old 11th February 2011, 21:32   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
Hi Mohanan , thanks for your kind info.
One problem that come up since last 1 month is shifting the gear from 2 to 1 when I am slowing down at speed breakers etc., it required a lots of force to shift.Shifting from 1 to 2 is not a problem, Has any one seen such problem in their vehicles?
In general, shifting from second to first gear is very difficult on almost all vehicles while the vehicle is moving. You can shift to first only when the vehicle is 'almost' stationary. Shifting from first to second also is difficult compared to other shifts (2nd to 3rd and 3rd to fourth) since you have to apply a bit force to the left side to correctly fall into the second gear. So, what you experience is normal. When the vehicle is stationary, if you have difficulty in shifting to first gear, then there is some problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Does the Nano have an electric radiator fan. (I dont see it in the usual position bet rad and engine.)
The nano is having an electric radiator fan. The fan is not in between the engine and radiator. It is between the radiator and the rear number plate. If you sit on the rear side of the nano and look through the rear grills on the right side of the rear number plate, you will see the radiator fan, fixed in between the radiator and the rear number plate slightly towards the right side of the car. It works when the temperature increases and crosses a threshold. When it works, the temperature reduces and then it stops. If you carefully observe, the starting and stopping of this radiator fan can be 'felt' through a vibration in the steering wheel. The 'small' but noticeable steering vibration starts when the radiator fan starts rotating and the vibration stops when the fan stops rotating.

Last edited by KMohanan : 11th February 2011 at 21:41.
Old 11th February 2011, 21:52   #75
Senior - BHPian

LOL the entire CLUTCH assy is 1200Rs..!! Damn, can it get any cheaper. Its cheaper than the enfield bullet's kit full.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks