Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2010, 20:27   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
Suspension issues with my Nano.

Last week I noticed that the steering wheel has lost its center. My wife usually drives it and ofcourse she didn't notice anything abnormal, I wonder how many kms was it running like that. ANYWAYS, I took it for alignment next day. The guy told me that there is quite a fair bit of play on both the front wheels, may be the bushes are worn out. Worn out bushes on a 6000odd run car, not possible, I took her straight to Tata service center.

Took a fair bit of time to actually get someone to inspect the car, i literally had to request them to take a look at the car such was the state at the service center. It was finally concluded that either the shocker (RHS)or the suspension arm has gone for the toss due to some pothholes etc. and has to be replaced. Also the right wheel was touching the shocker on the full right U turn. I could not argue since the state of Delhi roads has become worse in last few days.

I left the car today and was told that the total estimate would be provided only after full diagnose. Got a call around 3 pm that the car is ready and the suspension arm is changed and alignment is done. I won't to be able to collect the car as it is raining heavily.One more thing, SA told me that the part costs around Rs 450 and the labour is Rs 550, doesn't sound good to me. Any how, will collect the car tomorrow morning. Now my query is:

1. if it can happen once, it can happen twice, the roads are the same and unfortunately would remain the same.Is nano's suspension system this soft and delicate.?

2. I never really thought very highly of the nano's suspension, its kind of bouncy and all but never thought that it would give up so easily and so soon. Any design issues?

Any one else having trouble with nanos' suspension??
My Nano LX has run 8500+ kms now. for the last couple of weeks, I feel there is some sound coming from the front suspension while driving in bad roads.
Since I have visited the service centre last week in connection with my AC problem, I do not want to go again this week. May be, I will have a thorough check up during my 10,000 km service.

I also feel that the front suspension life is less for the nano. May be tata may be planning some modifications..

For any new design, initial problems are likely. Also, when the nano is sold for such a low cost, quality problems also can be expected. But, unless the Tata service centres are immediately trained on customer relations, tata will miserably loose to the competition. Regaining the lost image is not an easy task...

When the new car was delivered to me, the steering wheel alignment was not proper. I got it corrected from the service centre. After that no problems so far.

Last edited by KMohanan : 24th September 2010 at 20:31. Reason: For adding one more point.
Old 25th September 2010, 11:27   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
I never really thought very highly of the nano's suspension, its kind of bouncy and all but never thought that it would give up so easily and so soon. Any design issues ? Any one else having trouble with nanos' suspension??
Your issue appears to be related to the quality of rear suspension parts in your car. And, the Nano's small wheels really don't help in our particularly bad roads either. That said, I think the Nano is under-damped, particularly in the rear.

This observation is based on a 1,100 Km drive to CBE & back in a friend's 1-month old Nano. On the section of NH46 between Krishnagiri & Ambur, the highway surface has very slight undulations, almost like small waves. At a steady 80 Kmph, in this section, the Nano got extremely "bouncy" - the rear-end would bounce up & down for considerable periods of time !

The only other car in which I've noticed this quirk is the i10, but in it you can comfortably speed up to above 100 Kmph avoiding the problem. In the Nano it got so bad a rear passenger got kinetosis (motion sickness). I had to drive down that stretch at 60 Kmph to get the rear suspension oscillations to stop. The car definitely needs beffier dampers at the rear.

P.S. - Funnily enough the problem was bearable on the onward journey (Ambur to Krishnagiri), it was the return journey in that section that caused all the problems...
Old 25th September 2010, 13:32   #48
Senior - BHPian

cross posting from elsewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Interestingly, the engine of this Tata Nano has seized, inexplicably.

Discussions are on with Tata motors regarding the next step. The Tata motors showroom A.S.S. has declared that they cannot help us under warranty as the car has been "modified" - even though the engine is untouched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I have received a call from the Assistant Product Manager of the Tata Nano Project. He has assured me that TATA will stand behind us with their support.

After conferring with his colleagues, he has informed me that we will receive a replacement engine from them. Well done, Tata.

However now comes my headache of taking the body mods and the sound system off, in order for them to complete their engine transplant.
Old 25th September 2010, 16:15   #49
kkg
BHPian

Collected the car two days back. The problem seems to be solved for the time being. The suspension arm was the culprit and it is changed, shock absorber remains the same. Total cost involved was Rs 1370 including Rs 300 for wheel alignment. I got the old suspension arm, it really is bent to a large extent.Anyways, Nano is back on road and running good.

I have given some instructions to my wife to be more careful but honestly do not expect much from her as well as the Nano.
Old 25th September 2010, 18:46   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
On the section of NH46 between Krishnagiri & Ambur, the highway surface has very slight undulations, almost like small waves. At a steady 80 Kmph, in this section, the Nano got extremely "bouncy" - the rear-end would bounce up & down for considerable periods of time !
Could be due to bust shockers as well ! Hope your friend gets the rear suspension checked at his service centre, just to rule this out.

Else this bouncing could be due to resonance, where the natural frequency of the suspension has matched with the frequency of the tyres hitting the road bumps / undulations. But this should have subsided with changes in the vehicle speed, beats me
Old 16th October 2010, 21:31   #51
BHPian

My nano LX is reaching the 10,000 kms mark. Next week I am giving the car for third service. After the service, I may sell my nano since I have driven it for 10,000 kms !
Old 17th October 2010, 11:20   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMohanan View Post
.....I may sell my nano since I have driven it for 10,000 kms !
Is the 10K a milestone that triggered your decision? I'd be interested to know the reasons behind your intention to sell the Nano.
Old 17th October 2010, 12:00   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kollamraja View Post
Is the 10K a milestone that triggered your decision? I'd be interested to know the reasons behind your intention to sell the Nano.
Kindly refer to my new posting today in the thread on 'Tata Nano'. I have listed the problems. I still love tata nano and the company who gave me this car. But, in my busy official life, where I am struggling to find time to spend with my family members, I do not want to spend that valuable time with tata service centres. Possibly, I may buy a tata car after my retirement since I will have time to visit the service centre regularly !!!

Last edited by KMohanan : 17th October 2010 at 12:02.
Old 25th October 2010, 22:18   #54
BHPian

Hello everyone,
One of the major gripes that i am facing in my nano is its ride quality. Presently, trivandrum is completely " road-less" and it feels horrible to travel through such roads. It might be due to the poor roads too but still its worse than some other cars that i have been in. And also, the stock MRF tires give rise to a hell lot of tire noise! Its really irritating. Should have changed them while taking the car!

And one more thing. At around 30 km/hr in 3rd and around 40-50km/hr in 4th, i hear a slight vibration which i guess is from the wiper. I remember my dad telling me about some kids near his office messing up with the wiper assembly and stuff and i had put the washer jet back to position after that. So might this be the reason for the noise? It seems as if the wiper vibrates over the windshield when doing those speeds( to be more precise, those RPM's).

And sad to inform that my car met with a small accident with a maruti 800, leaving behind a scratched front bumper and a slight scratch on the front left fender. Will update my thread soon.
Thank you.
Old 26th October 2010, 11:41   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Hello everyone,
One of the major gripes that i am facing in my nano is its ride quality. Presently, trivandrum is completely " road-less" and it feels horrible to travel through such roads. It might be due to the poor roads too but still its worse than some other cars that i have been in. And also, the stock MRF tires give rise to a hell lot of tire noise! Its really irritating. Should have changed them while taking the car!
That riding discomfort is the ONLY gripe I have regrading the Nano. And for the detractors its a stick to beat the abjectly defenceless Nano.
Even on slightly rough roads the Nano takes its toll on body and bones. Having more passengers does make the rock and roll a bit more bearable.

BTW have you noticed how the engine lets you feel the extra weight of every additional passenger?
Old 28th October 2010, 14:13   #56
Senior - BHPian

Gave the nano to Hosur TASS (True Sai works), ODO - 7700Kms.

Experienced complaints for a long time

1) Starter motor solenoid. Getting on my nerves, just doesnt start at times. Only a 'click' sound when I turn the key.

The Service advisor and GM promised to look at; surprisingly they dont have any complaint so far across their 2-3 workshops across north Tamilnadu. As of today, the starter motor in on its way to Mico Bosch dealer for a checkup. Seems mine was a mi-bo make.

Has anyone seen another brand starter motor in theirs?

2) Clutch - less said about it, better.

Feels sticky, at times just doesnt let me engage 1st or reverse...! Gave them a piece of mind and told them to stop 'adjusting' the cable and get it opened and do a warranty replacement if possible.

Todays update, GB down, clutch assy inspected, all seems fine. I suspect the clutch fade is severe in 'hot' conditions, in heavy traffic per se. They suspect the cable and have lubricated it, lets see.

May be the oil is nearing its life (7700Kms), but GM insists to push it to OE Spec 10K mark. In case I am not satisfied with the fix, next week I will risk changing the oils and see the improvement.

Awaiting delivery, may take a few days for the new starter motor/sub part.
Old 28th October 2010, 15:47   #57
BANNED

The mother of all issues may be dropping sales. As per the box today sales are down to about 5000 per month from a peak of 9000 per month. It will not break even at this level.
Old 28th October 2010, 18:15   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post

1) Starter motor solenoid. Getting on my nerves, just doesnt start at times. Only a 'click' sound when I turn the key.
The Service advisor and GM promised to look at; surprisingly they dont have any complaint so far across their 2-3 workshops across north Tamilnadu. As of today, the starter motor in on its way to Mico Bosch dealer for a checkup. Seems mine was a mi-bo make.
Has anyone seen another brand starter motor in theirs?
In all probability you'll get a brand new starter motor.
The solenoid issue has for long been a bone of contention between TVS ( OEM suppliers) and TATA. My starter motor too showed the 'click' complaint and after a few days, the motor got burnt. Enginners from TVS rushed down from Chennai to investigate. It turned out to be a case of solenoid malfunction resulting in the power to the motor not getting disconnected. The motor got overheated due to continuous operation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
2) Clutch - less said about it, better.
My TASS too lubricated the clutch cable when I complained about difficulty in shifting to first & reverse. The problem gets rectified for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The mother of all issues may be dropping sales. As per the box today sales are down to about 5000 per month from a peak of 9000 per month. It will not break even at this level.
Really??? I thought the sales have picked up 'cos I see a lot more Nanos on the road now.
Old 28th October 2010, 19:02   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Really??? I thought the sales have picked up 'cos I see a lot more Nanos on the road now.
No sir, the demand has taken a massive beating.

The sales has declined 64% as per recent reports.

Evidently, the "another-Nano-catches-fire" reports have serious consequences..
Old 4th November 2010, 08:01   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In all probability you'll get a brand new starter motor.
My TASS too lubricated the clutch cable when I complained about difficulty in shifting to first & reverse. The problem gets rectified for the time being
Got a new motor. No difference till now, just hope the issue is sorted. And the clutch was inspected and only cable lubrication was done for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The mother of all issues may be dropping sales
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Evidently, the "another-Nano-catches-fire" reports have serious consequences..
Right, Tata better get their quality in order on all their cars...!! Else I am also close to ditching this to get a bigger car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks