Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2016, 12:31   #181
BHPian

Re: Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX issues

Facing an issue in my 2003 GTX 1.6 which has run 87000 KMS.

Did a long drive from Bangalore to Madikeri and back over the weekend. This was the first long drive after I started restoring the car and it drove beautifully without any major issues except for couples of things.

It returned me a mileage of 14.5 overall with 100% AC and I was really happy with it. Also I seldom went above 90 KMPH

Issue - Pick is quite low in 1st and 2nd Gear and also the engine makes kind of grinding noise as if its getting strained. The RPM keeps raising, but car is not moving anywhere in the 1st and 2nd gear. Other smaller cars with 4 on-board managed to out run me in 1st and 2nd Gear which was never the case before. 3rd gear pick up is good though.

Cant make out if this is due to flywheel/clutch issue. I had faced the fly wheel around 10K KMS back as there was major shudder while releasing the clutch and also flywheel is super expensive at 16K.

Also I have shifted to Mobil 1 mineral oil from Shell H7 Semi Synthetic this time on mechanics recommendation

Otherwise, there was no engine work done at all during painting/restoration.

Regards
Old 6th April 2016, 12:52   #182
h14
BHPian

RPM raising and car not moving, I can attribute only to the clutch. How old is your clutch? Any abnormalities you felt while shifting gears? Especially 1 or reverse?
Old 6th April 2016, 13:50   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
RPM raising and car not moving, I can attribute only to the clutch. How old is your clutch? Any abnormalities you felt while shifting gears? Especially 1 or reverse?
Clutch was changed at 75000 KMS and when the shuddering dint stop, I got the Flywheel faced at 77000 KMS. The shuddering had stopped and slowly creeping in now.

There was no issue at all, but after I got the car repainted for which it was in the garage close to 40 days the pick up is down and there is grinding noise.

There is slight shudder in the 1st and reverse which is persisting from last 20 KMS

Regards
Old 8th April 2016, 08:27   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Clutch was changed at 75000 KMS and when the shuddering dint stop, I got the Flywheel faced at 77000 KMS. The shuddering had stopped and slowly creeping in now.

There was no issue at all, but after I got the car repainted for which it was in the garage close to 40 days the pick up is down and there is grinding noise.

There is slight shudder in the 1st and reverse which is persisting from last 20 KMS

Regards
Very similar to the way my Palio 1.6 clutch packed up. This was after 40k kilometres. Clutch replacement and fitting is a highly skilled job and has to be done properly. Check your fluid levels, in this case the brake fluid it operates the clutch system. The clutch plates along with the pressure plates and the flywheel need to be mounted to exact specifications. There could be an issue there or alternately I would suggest you get your master and slave cylinder checked or changed as it could be that adequate pressure is not being applied on the clutch system because they are faulty. Hence the shudder.
Old 11th April 2016, 09:45   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinehead View Post
Very similar to the way my Palio 1.6 clutch packed up. This was after 40k kilometres. Clutch replacement and fitting is a highly skilled job and has to be done properly. Check your fluid levels, in this case the brake fluid it operates the clutch system. The clutch plates along with the pressure plates and the flywheel need to be mounted to exact specifications. There could be an issue there or alternately I would suggest you get your master and slave cylinder checked or changed as it could be that adequate pressure is not being applied on the clutch system because they are faulty. Hence the shudder.
My Slave cylinder started leaking around 2000 KMS ago and I changed it with TVS Girling, but dint change the Master Cylinder. Even before I changed the slave cylinder, the problem had started, but has only aggravated now.

Brake fluid is upto the mark, but I have the tutela DOT4 with me and going to bleed the entire brake/clutch fluid tomorrow and replacing it with Tutela DOT4.

Also I will get the Master cylinder, slave cylinder, flywheel and pressure plates checked.

Meanwhile got a photo courtesy of my son.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX issues-palio-pp.jpg  

chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 11:57   #186
Senior - BHPian

Please do keep us updated , I too am facing shuddering while releasing the clutch pedal in 1st and 2nd gear and would like to know what cures it for you
Old 18th April 2016, 09:33   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Also I will get the Master cylinder, slave cylinder, flywheel and pressure plates checked.

Meanwhile got a photo courtesy of my son.

Regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Please do keep us updated , I too am facing shuddering while releasing the clutch pedal in 1st and 2nd gear and would like to know what cures it for you
I went to the garage last week to get every thing checked as above, but there was no power so waited for some time and had to return.

Meanwhile did another round trip of Bangalore - Madikeri (520 KMS) in the weekend. This time the car returned a mileage of 13.3 KMPL. But the engine sound and pick was awful.

I can't leave with this engine sound, shudder and pickup. Will go again this weekend and get everything removed and checked. Will keep all updated.

Regards
Old 24th December 2016, 02:36   #188
BHPian

Any updates? @chandrda
Old 26th December 2016, 10:44   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micki9559 View Post
Any updates? @chandrda
Things have gone only downhill from April. I Changed the Flywheel and Clutch Kit somewhere in July. Where thing was fine for couple of weeks and then problems started again.

1. Shudder continues and doesn't go away at all.
2. Now there is huge vibration at particular speed, RPM and load combination
3. Pick up is gradually decreasing and mileage in city has dropped to 8
4. Engine grinding noise has only increased and feels like a flour machine.

Work is keeping me away from Bangalore and I am planning to back in February. I will check and take a call at that time.

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks