Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2011, 02:42   #76
BHPian

re: Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX issues

Also I had my spark plugs changed a year ago to the twin diode plugs. I faintly remember the idling and the power delivery was like before (same as original/old spark plugs). Maybe this is not the culprit. But will still check with the old spark plugs as the old spark plugs never had issue just changed it because of carbon deposits and suggestion. My spark plug wires are kind of showing a weird reading, removed all of them and took them home to have them checked as suggested by Vijay. 2 wires showed a resistance of ~5 ohms and showed ~3 ohms. These aren't original cables as they were not available during replacement. The old one had broken up around half a year back and that time too the idling issue was bad but it wasn't so bad. As in there was power felt, only initial rpm were bad, after say about 3k rpm the car used to shoot. During this time I was recommended to replace ignition coils but thanks to a fellow bhpian it only required a throttle body cleaning. But this time I have tried all except for ignition coils as I don't want to be stuck up with them if they are not the culprit. I guess I will have to send it to TASS for a trial and error method starting from plugs, plug cables, ignition coils and so on. At least that way I will only be replacing parts which are necessary and not be left out with the unnecessary ones.

Planet rocker, pls reply to what posts are you referring to. Thank you everyone for your time. Pls let me know what do I do next as I am very confused.
Old 27th March 2011, 03:05   #77
BHPian

Sorry planet rocker, I couldn't check the posts before due to the sad internet connection. I have checked out the pics and the video. My issue is nothing like the video, start the car and the idle sticks to 1100rpm no fluctuation at all or if present then its not mentioned on the rpm meter but atleast by the engine sound it doesnt feel like its fluctuating rapidly, more over even after driving her for 20 mins when i got her home it still is the same. With the ac or without, it will stick to 1100rpm also it doesn't stall automatically. Will give a detailed report once the car is started on monday. But the problem doesn't seem to be anything like you have mentioned in the posts.

Last edited by abhijeetveer : 27th March 2011 at 03:09. Reason: added a vital information
Old 27th March 2011, 07:58   #78
Senior - BHPian

post number 200 in the first link & 99 in the second link. - ignore these, since these problems are not related. may be the idle RPM is set high somehow at the black wheel thingy (potentionometer wheel?).

talking about GTX issues: my car is automatically shifting back to Neutral from 5th gear while driving. :(

Last edited by planet_rocker : 27th March 2011 at 08:01.
Old 28th March 2011, 09:15   #79
BHPian

Updating thread with pics that i clicked after a nice wash to the car. Jump started the car yesterday, started with a single crank, but same issue, small bombs going off (heard from the silencer) it sounds like a royal enfield when heard from the back end. Will be sending the car to a reputed garage today. How do I reduce the size of the picture, tbhp only allows 1mb, mine are more than 2.
Old 30th March 2011, 09:28   #80
BHPian

Update: My car suffers from garage fright. On my way towards the mechanic after jump starting her I decided to go hard on the accelerator on the sea-link, lot of struggle to go past 4k rpm, loud noise from the k&n, shifting gears to try pulling revs above 4k, going upto 120 after a lot of struggle, reached the worli signal and then suddenly realized that the vibrations are all gone. Bang! What suddenly happened? Have been thinking, could it be the speed petrol that I put in the morning because of the unavailability of the normal one, maybe its the injectors which were interfering, maybe she just needed a good run after the whole cleaning of sensors process (all the visible sensors were cleaned at the old mechanic) . I am still wondering to what happened that all the problems disappeared suddenly. She ran perfect after that, put a smile on my face to end an issue which seemed endless but none the less she still went to the garage for a good electrical checkup along with charging the battery besides she was heating upto 75% mark which was strange even if it was a hot noon yesterday. She is perfectly running even after couple of switching off and back on. Just a little viberation (maybe 1% or lesser than what it was before) was felt by me during idling at haji ali signal but that was felt only by me and not the mechanic, he said she is normal normal, I noticed it because I'm very used to her super smooth idle like before. She has spoilt me. The mechanic has called me today but no time to go there because of "mohaliday". Asked him to look out for engine wiring harness else solder the old one properly, check for electrical current leakage since battery drains quickly also heating issue to which he said there was only 1 liter of coolant, palio takes 3. He said has topped it up and will have a look today, Battery (less than a year old) gone for charging will be back today.
Ready for Mohali?
Old 30th March 2011, 12:52   #81
Senior - BHPian

try to keep the car above 3K rpm for a few seconds while driving (2nd / 3rd gear) - do it for a couple of times. use normal fuel - i use System G with normal fuel. FIAT ASC told me not to use Premium Fuel.

Read this article: Italian tuneup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 3rd April 2011, 19:47   #82
BHPian

I am too much in stress right now. Thought I would take the palio out for a good run after the battery charging today and then on the highway on Friday after filling system g like mentioned by planet rocker. Decided to go and join friends for a coffee like usual and flaunt the beast after the new lights and work on the car, sadly she worked okayish all the way till the coffee shop, still showing signs of heating, the gauge always was between 50% and 75% mark. In spite of new coolant it still stayed the same. Fans were working as usual. While driving I noticed that she was somewhat behaving like what planet rocker mentioned in this post. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2112667

The car when started starts normally with a fluctuating rpm and then eventually in about 5 seconds settles to ~800 rpm but after a while the idling increases to about 1100 (both during ac and without ac). When the engine is switched off and re-cranked the car settles at ~800 again but again after a while it goes back to ~1100. Ignored this thinking probably the ecm is trying to learn the driving style or so. Had my coffee and decided to leave back for home. Started the car with windows down since the weather was pleasant outside and a blast of fuel smell came towards me, I noticed something weird, but ignored it thinking there could be the other cars and not mine. Went a little ahead and could still smell it, saw the fuel indicator going down drastically too. I realized that this is from my own car so stopped and switched off the car and looked at the road from where I came from and saw drops of fuel opened the bonnet and I could smell fuel, same like when you stop at a petrol pump or even more. Looked down under the car and there was lots of fuel fallen down, tried to look around with a torch to understand where the fuel is escaping from saw the fuel lines on the top left hand side when you face the car, the pipes seemed okay just the black color pipe was sticky but no signs of fuel, there was some kind of oil mark on the brake oil box but didn’t see any fuel there too. So decided to take a risk and start the car again to check where it was coming from, started the car went to the bonnet and realized it was coming from the injector side (the black pipe goes inside the black fiat cover on the left side of the engine) that’s where it was spurting fuel directly onto the exhaust pipe, saw smoke coming because of the hot exhaust pipe, quickly switched off the engine made a call to my mechanic asked him to tow the vehicle. He called up after towing it to his garage and said that it looks like its leaking from one of the injectors, he hasn’t opened the car yet because of the cricket match and the upcoming holidays, hopefully after Tuesday I should have a detailed report to that.
Now my question is was the high idling a warning sign to a disaster? Or was the knocky idling a warning? Could this be a cause to the problems that I have been going through?

Last edited by abhijeetveer : 3rd April 2011 at 19:48. Reason: typed in ms word needed editing
Old 4th April 2011, 10:25   #83
BHPian

Sorry for my late reply. What I have learned is if you are a perfectionist then you will be losing all your mind and start to crib. After 3 weeks in garrage my car is back with 14K bill for nothing but due to rats . General service + A/C service + fixing bumper and repainting + electrical. 9K labor and 5K material cost. Electrical was not upto my satisfaction and the labor is 3k. I would like to know the cost of front switch panel which consist of Hazard light, A/C, for lamp. Sometimes the indicator work and some time not. After A/C top up its was as cold as winter now the cooling is sub par. Asked him to fix the Jammed speedo but not done. I some how feel when the mechanic hears the name fiat they all ready to mint money. There is no point in going to garrage and telling to attend the issues we are facing. Give only engine work to garrage, Electrician for electricals, A/C mechanic for A/C. Lessons heard in a hard way.

@Abhijeet: Coming to your idling issue. First check for the sticky throttle cable. try to rotate the black wheel by your hand and see whether it some back to the original position. Then Remove and refix the Map sensor, Trottle position sensor connector cables from the socket spray some wd40 wipe and fix it back. Remove both battery terminals and short togather or leave it idle for 30 mins for the ecu reset. Also press the 2 plugs in the ecu firmly for secure holding of wires. Connect the battery terminals. Turn the ignition key in MAR position wait for 2 mins. Turn off the key wait for 2 mins. Turn on the key and start the car. Let it idle for a minute and slowly raise the speed to 3K rpm and hold there for 2 mins and drop back. Turn off the car and put ignition "ON" for 30 secs. Turn off and turn back on. Let us know the result.
If you still have issues it could be clogged MAP sensor, failed potentiometer, or a broken pin inside the ecu board. Since you are telling the car struggles to run 140 Kmph I suspect clogged air filter + map sensor.
vijaycool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2011, 16:10   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
Sorry for my late reply. What I have learned is if you are a perfectionist then you will be losing all your mind and start to crib. After 3 weeks in garrage my car is back with 14K bill for nothing but due to rats . General service + A/C service + fixing bumper and repainting + electrical. 9K labor and 5K material cost. Electrical was not upto my satisfaction and the labor is 3k. I would like to know the cost of front switch panel which consist of Hazard light, A/C, for lamp. Sometimes the indicator work and some time not. After A/C top up its was as cold as winter now the cooling is sub par. Asked him to fix the Jammed speedo but not done. I some how feel when the mechanic hears the name fiat they all ready to mint money. There is no point in going to garrage and telling to attend the issues we are facing. Give only engine work to garrage, Electrician for electricals, A/C mechanic for A/C. Lessons heard in a hard way.

@Abhijeet: Coming to your idling issue. First check for the sticky throttle cable. try to rotate the black wheel by your hand and see whether it some back to the original position. Then Remove and refix the Map sensor, Trottle position sensor connector cables from the socket spray some wd40 wipe and fix it back. Remove both battery terminals and short togather or leave it idle for 30 mins for the ecu reset. Also press the 2 plugs in the ecu firmly for secure holding of wires. Connect the battery terminals. Turn the ignition key in MAR position wait for 2 mins. Turn off the key wait for 2 mins. Turn on the key and start the car. Let it idle for a minute and slowly raise the speed to 3K rpm and hold there for 2 mins and drop back. Turn off the car and put ignition "ON" for 30 secs. Turn off and turn back on. Let us know the result.
If you still have issues it could be clogged MAP sensor, failed potentiometer, or a broken pin inside the ecu board. Since you are telling the car struggles to run 140 Kmph I suspect clogged air filter + map sensor.

Sad to hear about the issues you are facing. I quite didn't understand what you are looking for. Are you looking for the center console or the odometer, speedometer console?

Regarding my car its the black fuel pipe which went kaput due to aging. That will be replaced today along with cleaning the o2 sensor and going back to stock air filter along with the box. Hopefully that should solve the issue, if not then I'm gonna follow what you have said.
Old 5th April 2011, 18:00   #85
BHPian

A/C cooling issue sorted today. Mechanic broke the fresh air intake switch which makes it open all the time reduces cooling drastically. I heard we need to change the entire console which costs 3K . Fiat parts are hard to get. About speedo console and the mech told the gears are jammed may be needing replacement of the worn gears. The center control Hazard lamp is not working properly. when you turn on Hazard lamp and turn off indicators wont work. I need to fiddle the hazard switch to make indicators work. I may need to change that switch set too. Vibration at idle is there, I need to change the HT cable and new sparkplug after some months. Apart from this I am not having any issues. I couldnot able to check mileage due to the non functional odo meter. i am planning to fix something like this SIGMA SPORT® online - Bike Computer, Puls Computer, Beleuchtung

Regards,
Vijay
Old 6th April 2011, 17:29   #86
BHPian

Didn't get the time to go to the mechanic for the updates so spoke to him over the phone. He has called for the black fuel pipe. Hopefully that shall be done by tomorrow. He also mentioned a silver GTX that he has at his workshop for sale at a cost or Rs 1 lack which is in a nice shape according to him. Maybe we'll fellow owners should buy that and use it as parts
I have told him to figure out the cost for the center console needed by you but he said it will be difficult to find a new one.
I'm assuming the link that you pasted is only for bikes? Or does it work for cars too?
Old 7th April 2011, 10:01   #87
BHPian

Vijay, I think instead of trying to install what you have mentioned you should try installing a scanguage 2. It looks more promising and gives out more information of course the cost will be a little high but for that cost you get a better equipment which can detect all the fault codes along with other million things. Please have a look at it before you purchase anything else. I will be purchasing and installing it in my palio shortly. And moreover its a one time investment, whenever you buy an new car you can shift this into that.
Old 7th April 2011, 10:16   #88
BHPian

Next week i am going to give to a Fiat mechanic for fixing jammed speedo. Lets see how it goes.

Regards,
Vijay
Old 8th April 2011, 10:04   #89
BHPian

Went to shetty motors at lamington road yesterday for the parts and I was shocked. I had to buy 2 parts for the car
1 The fuel line
2 Air filter hose
The air filter hose cost me Rs 2250. Asked for the fuel pipe (black colour, had taken the old broken one as a sample) and the guy at the counter gave me a wide grin and said Rs 3400. Called a few guys no one had it, asked mechanic to check it up at kurla or if any vehicle is being broken down as such. Else will be picking it up today. The whole cost break up will be put up today. Hope Tbhp accepts excel files as attachments.
Old 8th April 2011, 10:13   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
Next week i am going to give to a Fiat mechanic for fixing jammed speedo. Lets see how it goes.

Regards,
Vijay

Vijay,
The jammed speedo could be because of jammed gears inside the speedo my speedo had stopped working completely when it had come back from TASS it was due to a wire removed. TASS for sure used my car as parts for others cars which had come for service, because I remember them saying we will try other customers cars ignition to check up if that is at fault when my car wasn't starting and according to my mechanic, he suspects that they might have even replaced my working parts with some old non working ones since lot of things stopped working after it came back from TASS, it was in a much worst state than what I gave them in. Long story about TASS which I am not going to mention here. Last i called fiat was for ecm fault code reading and the work shop technician who "repaired" said they dont repair palio's anymore.
Please have a look at the gears if repairable else I guess i over heard the cost of the speedometer console to be around 14k. Old mechanic had asked me to replace that since my fuel gauge wasn't working properly later the problem turned out to be fuel gauge in the fuel pump not working properly which is replaced now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks