Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2011, 12:54   #91
BHPian

re: Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX issues

Managed to get the fuel pipe for Rs 2700. Cleaning the o2 sensor, putting back the stock air filter hose along with the box and the filament checking if the battery is charging and heating issues will be checked today. Will update in a while.
Old 8th April 2011, 15:23   #92
BHPian

Clean the MAP sensor too. I really feel that we can start our own independant home garrage for palio's . Mech told me Hazard switch cluster gone bad as sometimes the indicator wont work. I need to fiddle the switch to make indicator work. Today i find out too much dust and sticky oil. Once cleaned well its as good as new. Some where in the wiring is messed up for the blinker indicator in the dashboard.
OT: I have found a way to increase the airflow to the driver and codrive side A/C vent.
Old 11th April 2011, 00:56   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
Clean the MAP sensor too. I really feel that we can start our own independant home garrage for palio's . Mech told me Hazard switch cluster gone bad as sometimes the indicator wont work. I need to fiddle the switch to make indicator work. Today i find out too much dust and sticky oil. Once cleaned well its as good as new. Some where in the wiring is messed up for the blinker indicator in the dashboard.
OT: I have found a way to increase the airflow to the driver and codrive side A/C vent.

Vijay,

Just saw your post. My car is almost perfectly running now. I till date couldn't figure out what the issue was, did it just require a good run? like i said before that after the sea link run it improved drastically. The other day when I had sent it to my old mechanic for the broken fuel pipe and cleaning the sensors he said he did changed it all but when i went to take the delivery the car started but had to keep the accelerator pressed to keep it running. Before it took me 3 mechanics, couple of thousand rupees to cleaning filters stupid sensors which weren't even responsible. Turned out to be broken wire inside the socket of THE MAP SENSOR (if I am correct, it is the wire that goes inside some sensor like part right in the middle of the black fiat cover, top side) . This time it took me Rs 150 bucks and a good electrician who pointed out the issue in less than 5 seconds and fevi quick. He said the electrical looms are not available for this car but he will try extensively to find one. Now the car is almost 95% perfect but not completely. It tends to go off immediately during cold starts. Have to press the accelerator for a while till it warms up. Also the 1100 rpm idling has been worrying me. The car is not butter smooth like before but much better (bare-able) Will be cleaning the MAP sensor ASAP, didn't know there is a sensor present there. And my old mechanic is blonde . What should I use to clean it? Carburetor cleaning liquid? Or something else? Also what do you think about the little missing like feeling once in a while at idle. It comes once in like 5 seconds, maybe the idling is still not perfect?

Please tell me about the ac blower vent sir. I really need to know a solution for that as my center vents on ZERO work better than side vents on full.

Adding the excel file to all the expenses incurred so far so that it will help rest of you'll

Rating this post/ thread as this might be helpful to fellow members

Last edited by abhijeetveer : 11th April 2011 at 00:59. Reason: added information
Old 11th April 2011, 07:30   #94
BHPian

No problem mate. Once I fix the the A/C vent I will post the pics. Currently the A/C is a chiller. I just need to use 50% in the highway that too in chennai's heat.
This is what I have gathered from the forums I know.

1. Poor fuel consumption healthy idle : MAP sensor, Clogged air filter
2. Starting problem : battery, Crank position sensor too much gap or failed sensor.
3. Poor idling after engine warmed up : Lambda, Coolant temp sensor, bit of lambda.
4. Missing beat it idle and struggle to accelerate : improper plug gap or incorrect plug, faulty coil pack, kaput HT wiring
5. Petrol smell from exhaust : same as point 4 + check MAP and lambda

To fix the area of the issue you need ELM327 diag tool. Its very easy to pin point the issue with such devices. Dont believe on Mechanics. Fault code doesnt mean failed sensor. If you know the logic its too simple to fix the issue and infact very easy to maintain the car in top shape. Be happy atleast we have blessed with OBDII compliant car else we need to throw the car out.
When I accelerate I was getting parking brake symbol. Opened the bonnet checked the oil level it was good. Removed the sensor socket and cleaned with electrical contact cleaner. After fixing it back it never came back even after ripping the car till 7K rpm.
In your case check the HT wire resistance also sparkplug gap 0.9mm exactly. Use only NGK BKR5E only. Also buy a quality multimeter. You need to back probe some sensors and compare with the reference value. Alternatively buy a contact cleaner remove the sensor sockets clean it and put back it. Reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery for 20 mins.

Last edited by vijaycool : 11th April 2011 at 07:38.
vijaycool is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2011, 15:49   #95
BHPian

The heating issue was due to some valve missing in the radiator system. Got that done today.
The rough idle was due to broken and taped wires of the MAP sensor. Wiring harness not available in the market, asked mechanic to lookout for second hand of a broken down car.
abhijeetveer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 18:15   #96
BHPian

Ok. Here's the update. While changing the "T" because of the missing valve in the radiator system my mechanic noticed that the battery wasn't charging properly. Told him the battery is about a year old not more. He got the alternator serviced but still the issue. The alternator was running perfectly as it should, turned out to be a kaput cell in the battery, sent for replacement, new battery will be coming tomorrow.
I wanted to know what the DIN number represent on the battery my battery that came from the factory was a DIN 55 and the one which has gone kaput is a din 44. I wanted to know if this change could be a cause to the failure of the battery.
Also the car still has a little missing idle. Spark plugs are the bosch twin diode ones. The shop keeper said that these are the original ones when i argued for the NGK hyundai OE plugs. Even the mechanic said the issue doesnt seem to be of the spark plugs.
Want to order the ELM 327 scanner for the car but sadly paypal doesnt accept debit cards. Tried everyone's from the family. It will be really helpful if someone can order it for me. Payment will be done in cash as soon as I receive it.
Old 27th April 2011, 18:19   #97
BHPian

Just making an excel sheet for all the incurred expenses so far. The "T" cost me 2200, alternator service was 1800.
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:12   #98
BHPian

Does anyone here have the service manual for the palio gtx?
Old 2nd May 2011, 16:03   #99
BHPian

Bosch twin electrode will cause missing in 1.6 . Dont argue with the shopkeeper walkover to the next store and get NGK BKR5E adjust the gap to 0.9mm between the electrode.
Old 2nd May 2011, 16:14   #100
Senior - BHPian

you may also see this:

Quote:
i have changed the spark plugs (earlier running with Palio 1.2 Champion RC8BYC Lancia twin spark Plugs - my fault) with Champion RC10YCC Hyundai OE plugs (same as for Palio 1.6 - check Owner's Manual Page: 132).
Old 3rd May 2011, 01:06   #101
BHPian

I am confused now. Since the battery is taking long to be replaced under warranty I decided I will change the spark plugs at least. Got the NGK BKR5E11 plugs (they have some kind of "v" groove on it) for Rs 80 each, adjusted the plug gap to 0.9mm as Vijay suggested and changed the old plugs to this one, jump started the car using a jump battery and felt no difference between the old ones and the new ones. The engine still misses a beat. Took it for a drive and noticed very slight difference in the acceleration. That's about it. Just saw planet rocker's post now and I'm wondering if the Rs 320 was a waste. Which ones do the workshop manual suggest?

Last edited by abhijeetveer : 3rd May 2011 at 01:08.
Old 3rd May 2011, 01:28   #102
BHPian

Correction. The original plugs were bosch ones with fiat written on them which were replaced with lucas twin diode plugs. I'm totally confused now. Should I try out the champion ones too? I wouldn't mind wasting few hundred bucks to get rid of the little misfires
Old 3rd May 2011, 11:22   #103
Senior - BHPian

there you go - a snapshot of the owners' manual Page Number 132:

Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX issues-plugs.jpg

the optional plug detail (champion for 1.6) is OE for Hyundais

ideally the NGKs should work, but if you don't mind spending another Rs.320/- , you can always try out the Champions for the 1.6.

You may not find Champions RC10YCC - look for Hyundai OE Plugs (champion) with the same code.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 3rd May 2011 at 11:29.
planet_rocker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 14:53   #104
BHPian

The sparkplug I have changed is same as yours V groove NGK. Unless you hookup with a ELM scanner its difficult to narrow down the cause. Update on the speedo. Electrician checked and told me the meter is working fine. The sensor is gone. I dont know about the cost. Waiting for the part to arrive.
Old 3rd May 2011, 21:24   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
there you go - a snapshot of the owners' manual Page Number 132:

Attachment 539466

the optional plug detail (champion for 1.6) is OE for Hyundais

ideally the NGKs should work, but if you don't mind spending another Rs.320/- , you can always try out the Champions for the 1.6.

You may not find Champions RC10YCC - look for Hyundai OE Plugs (champion) with the same code.
I wouldnt mind spending another 320 bucks on the champion plugs but i checked with spare parts shop here they are not available. He handed over bosch plugs which I obviously didn't buy. Instead, I bought tool kits worth 12K today, it includes all the necessary tools to open the car completely including some high tech professional battery operated screwdriver with torque settings. I've also made a payment for the elm 327 ecm fault code reader along with the necessary fiat cable. I already have a trial software on my laptop since last couple of months. Now I'm thinking if i should start a workshop at my home . All I need now is a copy of the palio service manual. Can anyone out here help me with that? Maybe if anyone wants to courier it to me and i can pay for all the charges incurred. I will be glad if someone can help me out with that. I'm not going back to any fiat workshop cuz last time the car was there they flicked every possible thing from the car which are not visible to naked eyes. I just realized today that my jack is missing, my current mechanic told me that some "T" from the cooling system was without the necessary valve hence the car used to heat beyond normal. So all is good till now. Just waiting for the battery which is hopefully coming tomorrow. Tried getting the spark plug gauge but couldn't find it. So gonna use the car with the negligible misfires till the ELM 327 comes and then jack it up and work out on all the issues. Cant let go off the car after spending so much on it. Unless i get a real good offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
The sparkplug I have changed is same as yours V groove NGK. Unless you hookup with a ELM scanner its difficult to narrow down the cause. Update on the speedo. Electrician checked and told me the meter is working fine. The sensor is gone. I dont know about the cost. Waiting for the part to arrive.
Keep me updated vijay. I'm just trying to figure out all the expenses I've made on the palio till date. I think its gone beyond what the car cost me 2 years back

Most Viewed