Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2022, 12:41   #391

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Re: Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car

btw, honest question: How does one check whether the coating has been done? I did a 3M coating from a 3M shop for my Alcazar. When I picked it up, I checked underneath and it had a black coating. However, it went for its first servicing and the service mgr called asking if I wanted underbody coating done! I said we already had it done from 3M and he said its not there. Now I'm wondering if the 3M guy conned me or if the service guy is just trying to push his product. How do I confirm?
Old 4th February 2022, 14:10   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venksv View Post
btw, honest question: How does one check whether the coating has been done? I did a 3M coating from a 3M shop for my Alcazar. When I picked it up, I checked underneath and it had a black coating. However, it went for its first servicing and the service mgr called asking if I wanted underbody coating done! I said we already had it done from 3M and he said its not there. Now I'm wondering if the 3M guy conned me or if the service guy is just trying to push his product. How do I confirm?
Did you get any certificate from 3M post the coating done? That should assure you that the coating was applied irrespective of anybody else opinion. If you are still unsure take it to the 3M centre where the coating was applied and have an underbody check yourself
Old 4th February 2022, 14:20   #393

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Did you get any certificate from 3M post the coating done? That should assure you that the coating was applied irrespective of anybody else opinion
No certificate but I have the receipt showing it. Planning to take it to the shop tomorrow.

Last edited by KarthikK : 21st March 2024 at 16:53. Reason: Added quoted post for better context
venksv is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th February 2022, 01:53   #394
Senior - BHPian

I just got a comprehensive Dinitrol treatment done from Tufkote for our 4 year old Dzire which was starting to show signs of rust. Experience was good overall let's see how long it lasts in our conditions though.
Opted for Dintrol as it's wax based and according to some better than rubber based coatings which can actually trap moisture and accelerate rusting. Plus Tufkote also treats already rusted areas with rust converter first.
Old 22nd March 2022, 01:04   #395
BHPian

Is this Ecstar rust coat officially done by maruti?? I'm thinking of buying this and doing it outside, wash car underbody on day one, coat on day 2 after cleaning with pressurized air to buff off dust, costs 380 or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car-img_20220321_113140.jpg  

Old 19th April 2022, 17:54   #396
BHPian

Just got an antirust treatment done for my 1 year old XUV 300.
There were no signs of underbody rust however some nut/bolts were showing signs of rust in the engine bay.
Got it done from tufkote dinitrol rather than 3m as i had done a 3m coating for my Chevy beat and few years down the line it started to rust despite the coating.

Found about tufkote dinitrol from Google search and it had decent reviews.

Had a word with Mr. Ryan and he told me that today was a bit occupied and requested if the appointment can be done tomorrow. I told him that tomorrow is not possible since i was on leave today and i am not comfortable giving the car to another person without me watching over it. He said that he will accommodate me today itself.

Drove over to the shop and met Mr. Ryan. He told me about the process. I enquired him about the warranty and he told me that in case of rust no one can give a guarantee as it all depends upon the usage and maintenance of the car.
Honestly I agreed with his assessment as i have had warranty with 3m and when it started to rust during the warranty all they did was spray with antirust solution on the rusted part.

I opted for the antirust ; silencer and engine bay coating.

The workshop doesn't have a washing bay and a lift hence it is driven some distance off to a third party washing unit.

The car was washed and then air dried. Then the antirust treatment was applied underbody however the silencer was not masked off during this treatment.
When i checked the silencer area there was a minute overspray. Would have been better if the silencer area was masked off

Engine bay treatment and silencer treatment were also done at the third party washing unit.

Unfortunately since the car was lifted the owner of the washing unit didn't allow me to go inside at the time of the treatment as a safety measure and hence I couldn't click photos of the process.

After the engine bay; underbody and silencer treatment we drove back to tufkote shop. All the doors were opened and antirust spray was applied inside the doors.

Upon opening the bonnet it was found out that some rats had made a nest inside. Got the same cleaned and checked for any damage. Couldn't find anything and all was working fine. The owner applied some anti rat spray and the remaining antirust treatment was done.

The car was cleaned and i was told to keep the windows slightly open to dispel the smell of the treatment.

Attaching some pics of the engine bay and doors during treatment. Unfortunately could not take pictures of the underbody and the silencer as the owner didn't let me in for safety reasons as the car was lifted.

Hoping to get better results that my previous coatings though time will only tell.

Disclaimer: i am in no way associated with tufkote and all services availed were paid by me in full.

Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car-20220419_155526.jpg

Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car-20220419_155537.jpg

Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car-20220419_155545.jpg

Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car-20220419_155606.jpg

Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car-20220419_160351.jpg
Acid Burn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th April 2023, 03:30   #397
BHPian

Almost A year later how is it holding up and where did you get this done and how much did it cost you??
if you don't mind me asking???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Burn View Post
Just got an antirust treatment done for my 1 year old XUV 300.
There were no signs of underbody rust however some nut/bolts were showing signs of rust in the engine bay.
Got it done from tufkote dinitrol rather than 3m as i had done a 3m coating for my Chevy beat and few years down the line it started to rust despite the coating.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th April 2023 at 16:57. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
Zooster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2023, 12:10   #398
BHPian

Getting an anti rust treatment for my car done at tufkote as I am writing this post
The treatment will cover the underbody, silencer, doors, boot, & parts of engine bay.

Ryan is a no nonsense & transparent guy not giving false promises.

A combination of thier anti rust products were used for the treatment

Sorry could not click any pictures.
Old 14th August 2023, 17:01   #399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooster View Post
Almost A year later how is it holding up and where did you get this done and how much did it cost you??
if you don't mind me asking???
Ryan's Dinitrol garage is in Goregaon on the link road, a little after VIBGYOR school on the Jogeshwari side. I have been getting my current car and earlier car antirust from him. Its good and holds well. Cost depends on the car.
PS: I am not connected in any way with Dinitrol.
Aqua is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 17:20   #400
BHPian

Good evening and a happy new year folks.

I have a very recently acquired Alcazar and considering I am based in Mumbai, specifically near the area where rusting is rampant, am planning to get the Tufkote Dinitrol based treatment. Had a quick word with Ryan and the experience was very positive. From what he mentioned, for the doors, the panels are opened up and sprayed - my concern is with the fitting quality as well as the creaks which I might get after the refitting.

It would be helpful if anyone here can chime-in with the experience of door panel refitment for their vehicles post this treatment.
Old 1st January 2024, 20:47   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_aficianado View Post

I have a very recently acquired Alcazar and considering I am based in Mumbai, specifically near the area where rusting is rampant, am planning to get the Tufkote Dinitrol based treatment. Had a quick word with Ryan and the experience was very positive. From what he mentioned, for the doors, the panels are opened up and sprayed - my concern is with the fitting quality as well as the creaks which I might get after the refitting.

It would be helpful if anyone here can chime-in with the experience of door panel refitment for their vehicles post this treatment.
With a maruti yes the rattles would be a problem. With a Hyundai no. I think they are better made.
For comparison the retainer clip of a Hyundai cost 150,the same in maruti costs 5.
Having owned both I can definitely say that Hyundai are better made and won't have the creak or rattle problems with the trim being opened.
I would advise if your planning to open them then get the dampening done as well in one shot so that you don't have to open the trims again.
In my car I opened the trims sprayed the cavity wax ,did the dampening,changed the speakers and am done.
I don't see the need to ever open it again.

Regards
Manoj
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2024, 02:54   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_aficianado View Post

They do a good job of opening and fitting back the panels. Had my Dzire done from them a couple of years ago and they didn't mess anything up.
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 02:39   #403
BHPian

Same for experience for me regarding refitting door panels after spraying of my ignis.
They did a good job with it and Ryan specifically told me when plastic is new it will never be an issue and incase any clip breaks they would change it immediately.

Did not have any rattling of door panels post treatment which was done almost 6 months ago.
rikhav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 14:01   #404
BANNED

Today unless you are in a high corrosion area, like the coasts, I will not bother. The cars have adequate underbody treatment. If you get a treatment done then go for a good quality product and from a good reliable source. Having been in Lucknow, Kanpur and now Gurugram I think for the past decade plus I have not bothered.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 18:08   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Today unless you are in a high corrosion area, like the coasts, I will not bother. The cars have adequate underbody treatment. If you get a treatment done then go for a good quality product and from a good reliable source. Having been in Lucknow, Kanpur and now Gurugram I think for the past decade plus I have not bothered.
Unfortunately my area mandates some form of an anti corrosion treatment. My last 2 cars were completely ravaged by rusting within the first 4 - 5 years of ownership.

@All - thank you for the response and support. I have booked the treatment and will update post the session. Planning to go for both antirust as well as sound dampening as suggested.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks