Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2021, 15:34   #376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car

Bumping this thread up! Do modern cars need this treatment at all?

Last edited by cool_dube : 22nd February 2021 at 15:35.
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 18:31   #377
BHPian

Well, i got the underbody coating done today for my Brezza zxi plus. Service advisor did not even ask me, it was my choice. 2700rs in total for the same with four years warranty and as per him, they will reapply at every regular service till 4yrs. Material used was maruti ecostar which is maruti's own brand.
As I am in Delhi NCR, there is not much actual protection from rusting needed. The main benefit is slightly lesser road noise or better sound insulation.
All in all, for the price-value combination, seems a fair deal to me.
Old 22nd February 2021, 18:52   #378
Senior - BHPian

Got the underbody coating done for my XUV at M&M service station. I had to get my car cleaned and the company water wash and interiors cost around 850/- INR. There was a discount on all services offered at M&M. I enquired about it with my service advisor and he mentioned that it will cost 2250/- after discount. He also mentioned that it will take 2 hours as the car has to be washed thoroughly before the spray is applied. I had to anyway get it a good wash, thought it was the right time. Got both the tasks done. He mentioned that during summers, the thar roads heat up and the coating helps in reducing that head come into the car from the underbody section. Also, the small pebbles flying during fast drives also do not impact the underbody greatly.
Old 25th March 2021, 20:41   #379
BHPian

Hi guys, I have a question. Should I get the underbody coating done for my Nissan Kicks? I have recently moved to Mumbai from north. Also, what is the cost of underbody coating at 3M?
Thanks.
Old 26th March 2021, 12:03   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
Hi guys, I have a question. Should I get the underbody coating done for my Nissan Kicks? I have recently moved to Mumbai from north. Also, what is the cost of underbody coating at 3M?
Thanks.
I got underbody and exhaust coating done from them for around 6k for my Dzire. You should get it done as the rains here are relentless.
straight6 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 16:19   #381
Senior - BHPian

It is always a good thing to get underbody anti-rust treatment for a new car which I did on delivery.

After 4 years, I recently took the same car at a 3M centre and they did a very shabby underbody cleaning job in 15 minutes. Yes in 15 minutes ! So I decided otherwise and did not do the treatment.

Is it a good idea to redo the treatment after 4 years, considering that it is very difficult remove all the dirt and grime from below. I mean there is no point in applying the treatment over dirt and grime.

Any suggestions ?

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 3rd July 2021 at 16:24.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2021, 18:03   #382
BHPian

Mod note: Back-to-back posts merged, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] and await post approval if you need to edit. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Rust is rust
I doubt changes in technology has changed this.

I've normally gotten the 3m anti-rust done!
Quality is good

THey offer 2 coats.
One is a water proof coat, with a rubber type material on top, which offers vibration dampening to some extent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
Thanks.
Yes, definetly a long term investment!
Price varies as per state, but in BLR/HYD, I've gotten 3m done for a sedan at roughly 4800 incl tax.

There are 2 variants (2 yr warranty & 5 yr)
Go for 5 yr as that also includes a rubber coating which reduces road noise to some extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
It is always a good thing to get underbody anti-rust treatment for a new car which I did on delivery.

After 4 years, I recently took the same car at a 3M centre and they did a very shabby underbody cleaning job in 15 minutes. Yes in 15 minutes ! So I decided otherwise and did not do the treatment.

Is it a good idea to redo the treatment after 4 years, considering that it is very difficult remove all the dirt and grime from below. I mean there is no point in applying the treatment over dirt and grime.

Any suggestions ?
3m is franchisee based. SO I've noticed quality varies from outlet to outlet.
Rarely I've noticed major variations, but mostly its minor variations.

Try out a smaller treatment (like interior cleaning) or something to get a feel of them. Check-out reviews or ask others on TBHP and figure out which branch is good for you!

In HYderabad, I'd go to the SOmajiguda branch & in BLR I've been to the JP Nagar & Bull temple road branch. All 3 branches had good experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post

Any suggestions ?
Also get a silencer coating too.

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th July 2021 at 18:44.
som9729 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 18:10   #383
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I think modern cars may not need it. They have enough coating for it. Only if you are living in a high corrosion area you may consider it. I have not treated my car(s) for over a decade.
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 10:57   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think modern cars may not need it. They have enough coating for it. Only if you are living in a high corrosion area you may consider it. I have not treated my car(s) for over a decade.
My 8 year old EcoSport. Lower arms, rods and some part of the gearbox seems to be surface rusting (visually). Is this a matter of concern? Will sanding and painting these parts with used engine oil be a good idea?
Attached Thumbnails
Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car-img_20210912_101742.jpg  

Old 16th September 2021, 22:30   #385
BHPian

Recently I applied 3M body schutz on my Ignis. Initially I wanted to apply Ecstar's premium under body coating(Rs.850) just like DBhpian Leoshashi has done to his XL6 under body. But I couldn't find it anywhere including boodmo. I also posted a query (Maruti Genuine Parts (MGP) Catalog: Post your queries here (model list on Pg 1)) in MGP query thread. But didn't get a response.
I know modern cars don't need an under body coating. But my ocd wanted it so bad. My car already had some sort of under body coating from the factory itself. Since the Ecstar product was not available I decided to go with 3M body schutz. It was very hard for me to find a shop that sell this. After a couple of calls and a lot of google searches I found a car detailing shop in Chennai dealing with it. The proprietor was a very nice person and he sent me 2 bottles of 3M body schutz via India post parcel after I transferred the amount via GPay. I can share the contact details of the person here if anybody is interested.
Then I approached two MASS to apply this on my car. The first one was very reluctant to do this eventhough they were the closest to my home. Then I found another MASS in Sringeri (Shubhashree motors) agreed to do this. They couldn't cover the entire under body with 2 1l bottles of 3M body schutz. So they used ecstar under body coating(Rs.350 a bottle) to cover the rest of the under body. I used 3M silencer coating (silver colour) for the silencer.
Attached below are a few photos of the entire process.

The products:
3M body shutz
Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car-20210914_123547.jpg

3M silencer coating
Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car-20210916_212148.jpg

In the photos below you can see that there was already some sort of rubberised coating applied from the factory. It has been generously applied in all wheel wells and under side of the body. You can also see that all the plastic trims from the wheel wells are removed.

Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car-20210915_110654.jpg

Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car-20210915_105040.jpg

All the painted body parts are properly masked with news papers and the car was lifted.
Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car-20210915_113642.jpg

Clean under body after a wash and thorough wipe using IPA.
Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car-20210915_115732.jpg
Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car-20210915_114904.jpg

Coating under progress:
Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car-20210915_120442.jpg

Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car-20210915_122222.jpg

Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car-20210915_123557_02.jpg

Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car-20210915_123557_04.jpg

I am very much satisfied after the work. All these work are inspired from Leoshashi's XL6 thread. I wouldn't have removed the wheel well claddings if he hadn't explained about it in the original thread. Also I came to know about different types of MASCs and its contact details from this thread made by him:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...workshops.html (An insight into Maruti's After-sales network: Different types of workshops) For this I am thankful to him.

I am very much satisfied with the work. Any Maruti owner in and around Sringeri can go to this MASS. They are very co-operative and don't make a fuss when you stand beside your car when your car is being attended. I even helped them clean my car before they do the coating.
sole_rider is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 21:20   #386

I recently got underbody coating on my new Nexon at Thane 3M Car Care. I paid about 6500 for underbody coating including silencer.

My experience was horrible to say the least. The service center did not even bother to wash the under side of the car although clearly there was lot of mud there. It is monsoon in Mumbai so you can imagine. I had to insist they at least wipe clean the underside, the manager simply told one of his men to clean it with a wet cloth.

I've noticed one of the member's post where his car was thoroughly washed, tires removed and the sides of the car are covered with newspapers and then the coating was applied. none of these precautions were taken on my car. They just lifted the car on a hydraulic and started applying the coat. It was all done in 15 minutes.

If anyone is here from Mumbai or Thane, please avoid this center if you can. They are reckless and can cause damage to your car while they collect a premium for the subpar service they provide.
ranger4658 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 14:10   #387
BHPian

Any good leads for this in South Bangalore??
I'm looking for a underbody coating for my Brio?

What are the charges?

Appreciate it!
Old 4th November 2021, 15:51   #388
BHPian

I have booked Maruti S-presso and will be getting delivered possibly in mid of December 2021. Dealer has quoted me 3900 for anti rust coating with 5 year warranty. I checked with 3M Car care near my home (Borivali west, link road) and they told me that they have 2 plans, one is 2 year warranty and one is 5 year with former being ₹2150 and latter being ₹4400 (expensive than maruti quoted). I stay in Mumbai so should I be going for the anti rust coating and may be from dealer itself?

The 3M lady told me they will lift the car, wash it, blow dry it and then apply the coating.
Old 4th November 2021, 16:28   #389
Senior - BHPian

When I got my first car, the dealer offered 3M under-body coating, which I got done. Further research seemed to suggest that this is not required for cars of this age. So, other than the free follow-up coating, I did not opt for the same.
I do not remember the dealer talking about under-body coating when I got my second car.
Old 24th November 2021, 18:50   #390
BHPian

Hello,

Any good leads for getting underbody chassis coating done in South Bangalore??
I feel the 3M ones are extremely pricey for what they really offer, any run of the mill car wash centers who do this?

How much is the cost?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks