Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2016, 09:01   #286
BHPian

Re: Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
But, based on the feedback, I've decided to give them a skip for now.
You will be shocked to see the products used by A.S.S in name of Teflon. Most of the products will not even have labels on it. Even if they do, the contents will be highly suspicious.

It does not take long time to read through feedbacks from other guys and products they used. Many of them are non-multimillion dollar ad products sold by industrial suppliers. I find them to be more reliable and doing good performance because industries dont just invest their funds on products that are just yet another hood wink in market. I don't like 3M for their commercialization and high handedness in fixing appointments.

So, its better to do it your way and at your leisure time.
Old 27th January 2016, 23:49   #287
Senior - BHPian

I am convinced that Indian cars need underbody coatingto prevent rust.

This is how my current car's underneath looks like. I have removed one round of rust on the top half but the bottom half is the original. I'll be removing all the rust, putting on some zinc primer and then put few layers of underbody coat on it soon.

Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car-img_20160116_114557.jpg
Old 28th January 2016, 09:16   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I'll be removing all the rust, putting on some zinc primer and then put few layers of underbody coat on it soon.
If possible go for a coat of sound deadening also. Makes huge difference in cabin noise and forms an extra layer of protection.
Old 28th January 2016, 09:40   #289
BHPian

Need a repeat coat of underbody anti rust on my gypsy. It's been 4 yrs since the last coating. My queatiomns are:

1. What are some of the most resilient / good quality anti rust coating offered in the market today?

2. Would it be better to purchase the paint personally and then have the vehicle painted at a good garage?

3. Will there be a problem if I apply a new coat over the old one? Compatibilty issues?

Brgds
Ronnie
Old 28th January 2016, 10:42   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump-Stop View Post
Need a repeat coat of underbody anti rust on my gypsy. It's been 4 yrs since the last coating
The best option is to get it sand blasted first to remove old rust and caked mud. Check all the rust build up on the floor inside the cabin too before you start. Attend to all rust inside out.

1. What are some of the most resilient / good quality anti rust coating offered in the market today?

- Tufkote / 3M / Tribocor etc. The deeper the pocket, better the product.

2. Would it be better to purchase the paint personally and then have the vehicle painted at a good garage?

- Yes. I stand proof of it. I did all the research myself and got the products that I needed. Took it to a garage of my choice. Cleaned and Painted myself along with mechanic / painter I trust.

3. Will there be a problem if I apply a new coat over the old one? Compatibilty issues?

- Remove the oxidized parts to stop chipping and flaking later. The cleaner and naked the surface, better will be the protection. Sand blast or emory paper / wire brush scrub, wash, dry and then paint. Double coat if in coastal area.

Last edited by prithm : 28th January 2016 at 10:44.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2016, 11:32   #291
BHPian

I have a 2008 Indica V2 DLS 78000 kms done whose chassis that holds the front left wheel, lower arm, ball joints, shoulder arm etc has got rusted. My trusted mechanic advises me to buy a new chassis which would cost around 5k, welding charges another 5k and labour atleast 2k. This is a very very conservative estimate and realistically it could be around 15k.

I am already on the lookout for a diesel car around 6 lakhs to serve as a reliable family car. In this backdrop do you suggest me to get the Indica repaired and use it as a second backup car or sell it? Would the expenses keep increasing as it is going to touch 10 years and 1 lakh kms soon? Mechanic also says the engine has begun to backfire and an engine overhaul is required which would cost another 40k by his estimates. Even if i can put the engine overhaul on hold for a few more months it is mandatory atleast in a year's time. I wonder how people run Indicas for 1.5 lakh to 2 lakh kms. If i intend to keep the car till 1.5 lakh kms would these be the only expenses or would there be alternator, starter motor etc issues on which i would need to spend more in the future?

Aside this the car has been maintained very well. No scratches at all. Looks and feels very good. What price can i expect for it in case you recommend me to sell it?
Old 1st February 2016, 09:41   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
Aside this the car has been maintained very well. No scratches at all. Looks and feels very good. What price can i expect for it in case you recommend me to sell it?
I am little surprised that the chassis has been rusted to that level. If that is the case, its better to scrap the car and get on with new one. Check if there are any loyalty program with TASS.

Do not expect good resale due to good looks, mostly these type of cars will be re-purposed for taxi's. My thoughts, is to not to meddle with chassis.
Old 5th February 2016, 17:12   #293
BHPian

Saw this product from 3M..that resist degradation from diesel wash..
Attached Thumbnails
Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car-img20160204wa0032.jpg  

Whenasked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 12:26   #294
BHPian

Hi Folks

Ive got a new Grand I10 and a major concern on my mind is that the car has no engine guard.
I knew about this before purchase and went on with the purchase since leaving the punto , no other hatch has one of these guards.

What i wish to do(if possible) is to get one guard custom made (if the punto guard does not fit) and fit it on the I10.

Will this have any concern on warranty and has any one does this before???????
Old 17th February 2016, 13:30   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne0N View Post
Hi Folks

Ive got a new Grand I10 and a major concern on my mind is that the car has no engine guard.
I knew about this before purchase and went on with the purchase since leaving the punto , no other hatch has one of these guards.

What i wish to do(if possible) is to get one guard custom made (if the punto guard does not fit) and fit it on the I10.

Will this have any concern on warranty and has any one does this before???????
It should not have any issue other than heat dissipation and hinge placements. I too checked same for my DZire since my oil filter is dead right at the bottom and a huge risk in gravel roads. But the service centre advised me to not go for it due to previous reports of engine overheat.

Warranty wise I dont think this will be a problem if you can find suitable screw / hinge locations under i10 which fits Punto guard & easy to dismantle.
Old 17th February 2016, 14:00   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
It should not have any issue other than heat dissipation and hinge placements. I too checked same for my DZire since my oil filter is dead right at the bottom and a huge risk in gravel roads. But the service centre advised me to not go for it due to previous reports of engine overheat.

Warranty wise I dont think this will be a problem if you can find suitable screw / hinge locations under i10 which fits Punto guard & easy to dismantle.
Hey prithm

I am planning to talk to hyundai about this and confirm.
If they say there's no issues with the warranty , then i plan to get the guard fixed ASAP.
Old 18th February 2016, 11:02   #297
BHPian

Quote:

Hi prithm

Update: spoke to modihyundai,
They too advice that heat will build up and say that if any engine damage is caused it will be marked under damage caused by user and will not be covered under warranty.

All this though has been VERBAL. I am planning to write on this to modi hyundai.
Old 18th February 2016, 12:22   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Hi prithm

Update: spoke to modihyundai,
They too advice that heat will build up and say that if any engine damage is caused it will be marked under damage caused by user and will not be covered under warranty.

All this though has been VERBAL. I am planning to write on this to modi hyundai.
Hey Ne0N,

That's some progress.

Why not escalate this to Hyundai India Technical Services !! Atleast you will be saved of precious time running behind non-technical or business people.

When you do communicate, ask them if they have a solution "similar" to Punto. Do not hint that you are trying to install Punto's cover.

Get them talking and then we can see what this leads to.
Old 19th February 2016, 13:50   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Ne0N,

That's some progress.

Why not escalate this to Hyundai India Technical Services !! Atleast you will be saved of precious time running behind non-technical or business people.

When you do communicate, ask them if they have a solution "similar" to Punto. Do not hint that you are trying to install Punto's cover.

Get them talking and then we can see what this leads to.

Hey Prithm

Thanks for the advice.

Emailed Hyundai today on CRServices email id.

Just as you mentioned , i have asked them if they have a solution similar to the Fiat Punto's.
I received an auto generated reply asking for a 3 Working Days time to reply.

Will update their comments on the same once i receive their reply.
Old 23rd February 2016, 13:15   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Prithm

Thanks for the advice.

Emailed Hyundai today on CRServices email id.

Just as you mentioned , I have asked them if they have a solution similar to the Fiat Punto's.
I received an auto generated reply asking for a 3 Working Days time to reply.

Will update their comments on the same once I receive their reply.
Hey Prithm / folks,

An update: Post the 3 working days, Hyundai Service(CRServices) has contacted me saying that the cannot fetch my details using the Email id.
They have asked me for either my contact number or the VIN number.

What I find confusing is that the query is a very general one ; about a solution for under body engine cover for the Grand I10.
Such a query should not need me to be a Grand I10 owner.

Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Anyways I have emailed them the details.

Last edited by Ne0N : 23rd February 2016 at 13:22. Reason: grammar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks