Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2011, 15:02   #181
BHPian

re: Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car

MASS here at kolkata says it would require to repaint the netire bonnet.

Should I go with their suggestion or doing a patch work in the affected area would suffice.
Old 21st April 2011, 15:28   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tathagata View Post
MASS here at kolkata says it would require to repaint the netire bonnet.

Should I go with their suggestion or doing a patch work in the affected area would suffice.
They would definitely ask you to paint the entire bonnet. Find a suitable local mechanic and get a patch work done. I did the same for my bumper. Make sure that the paint matches with the OEM one.
Old 21st April 2011, 15:34   #183
BANNED

@tathagata; This is one of the ills of metallic paints. The entire panel has to be done.

However, with modern computer matched paint, if you are willing to use up a lot of elbow grease (in polishing with a rubbing paste) you may be able to get away with patchwork.
Old 21st April 2011, 16:03   #184
BHPian

@navee.raju & sgiitk: Thanks for the inputs. I guess I will try out with a local paint shop first which I have used earlier for retouching my 10 yrs. old Wagon-R. They did a pretty good job. Since this is a very small area that too on a prominet position hence the concern.
Old 23rd April 2011, 11:10   #185
BHPian

Below are the pictures of the three points where rusting has set in. I don't know about anything happening inside the pannels though. How bad do yo think these are and also can these be done away with permanently?
Attached Thumbnails
Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car-rust01.jpg  

Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car-rust02.jpg  

Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car-rust03.jpg  

Old 24th April 2011, 11:46   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Below are the pictures of the three points where rusting has set in. I don't know about anything happening inside the pannels though. How bad do yo think these are and also can these be done away with permanently?

Just a small note :

Looking at the rust around the two wiper nozzle areas, have a look at the pipe below if it has sprung a leak. I know its odd that both sides would leak together, but just my thought.

Secondly, do you use the sprays often ? I'm curious to know why this area and that too on both sides managed to rust.
Old 24th April 2011, 12:14   #187
Senior - BHPian

tathagata doesn't look serious for now at-least, however take it to a competent body workshop and get it treated. Shouldn't cost you much also, since the area affected is pretty small.

If you think the rust could have appeared in other area's too, give it a thorough check before you get these panels repaired.
Old 25th April 2011, 18:41   #188
BHPian

@danny25: I really don't use the spray much. Will check for any leaks on the pipes under the hood as sugested and will update.

@rjstyles69: Will do that once Bengal elections are over this week. About rusting in other parts I think I will again have to rely on the body workshop people for finding the same and repair.

Should I dispose this car as early as possible or repairing works if carried out properly (if) would last for some time.

Though it has been phased out and looks dated, I like this car for its drivability, space and good handling in city. Plus I get a good mileage around 12-13 kmpl within city with moderate AC and 17+ on highways. Thus it is light on my pockets too than other petrol sedans.

What do you all suggest?
Old 25th April 2011, 20:48   #189
SAS
BHPian

@tathagata, the best way to prevent rust on the panels is to polish your car once in every 3 months. Use even a simple ordinary polish like waxpol if budget is a problem and apply it by hand.

For underbody, yes, the tar sprays do help. My Maruti Alto is May'05 and there is very little rust anywhere. I got the antirust coating done when I bought the car and got it reapplied / touched up for the first 3 years as per the warranty. I recently bought a tin of antirust coating and i'm going to apply it after a complete and thorough underbody wash. I'm planning to do that in the last week of May, just before the rains set in.
Old 25th April 2011, 20:53   #190
Senior - BHPian

@tathagata,
Do you stay in the Tangra/ Salt Lake area, and get your car washed often?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 27th April 2011, 21:09   #191
BHPian

SAS, which was the brand of the Antirust coating that you bought and how much did that cost? How do you plan to apply that, I remember that being sprayed at the underbody, can we use a brush for that?
Old 28th April 2011, 08:54   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

There must be a leak below it. That's causing the rust. Get it treated right now before it gets worse.
Old 28th April 2011, 13:57   #193
BHPian

@SAS: That is one thing I have never done. Polished the car only once in 3 yrs. Though I spray the underbody with Tar sprays before each monsoon. This I do for both my cars. Surprising that the 10yrs. old wagon-R survived till date with no rust but 5yrs. old Esteem gave way to rust. Will also check with the service station about Anti-rust coating products available.

@Sutripta: No I stay around New Alipore area and I wash my car every alternative days besides servicing it at petrol pump/MASS every 6 months.

@naveen.raju: Had a talk with MASS Autokraft here in Kolkata and will be taking the car to them next week. Let them do the findings.

Thanks,

Tathagata
Old 28th April 2011, 21:33   #194
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljai View Post
SAS, which was the brand of the Antirust coating that you bought and how much did that cost?
I bought a brand called Perma Glass underbody sealant. I purchased it abroad when I had been in Malaysia for around 18 ringetts (Rs. 300). It is an aerosol can so I shall just spray it on and let it dry.

Quote:
@SAS: That is one thing I have never done. Polished the car only once in 3 yrs.
Polishing / waxing is probably the most important thing you can do for your car's exterior. A good wax shall help prevent rust. I've seen cases where the paint has been scratched, but the wax has prevented rust formation and oxidation. It does help especially in our tropical and extreme climate.
Old 9th May 2011, 12:33   #195
BHPian

Hey guys,
Planning to get the underbody treatment done for my Scorpio, from the India Garage Workshop. They have a tie-up with 'Orange Care' and the cost is Rs.4200/-. Has, anyone heard of this or should I get it done through 3M?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks