Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2012, 15:13   #226
BHPian

re: Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car

Planning to get the 3M underbody treatment for my car before the monsoon sets in at the new Andheri branch. Any idea about the prices of the one that comes with the 3 year & 5 year warranty or is there an even lesser one?
Old 19th March 2012, 11:06   #227
Senior - BHPian

Opted for "Wurth" underbody treatment for my Safari, any inputs on this?
Old 19th March 2012, 11:14   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

@Lohith, all this is best done when new. And I say, go for it these "upgrades".
Do check inputs from Navin in the Damping & Sound deadener thread too.
Old 19th March 2012, 16:49   #229
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
Planning to get the 3M underbody treatment for my car before the monsoon sets in at the new Andheri branch. Any idea about the prices of the one that comes with the 3 year & 5 year warranty or is there an even lesser one?
I got a 3M treatment with a 2 year warranty and 4 free checkups/touchups. I think it cost around 2K. I wrote an email to 3M asking for locations where you could get the treatment & I promptly got a phone call from them with different suggestions.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 16:52   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I got a 3M treatment with a 2 year warranty and 4 free checkups/touchups. I think it cost around 2K. I wrote an email to 3M asking for locations where you could get the treatment & I promptly got a phone call from them with different suggestions.
Where did you get it done from & there is one with a 5 year warranty also right? Do you remember the price difference?
Old 19th March 2012, 16:59   #231
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
Where did you get it done from & there is one with a 5 year warranty also right? Do you remember the price difference?
I got it done at Ravi Automobiles at Chembur.

These were the prices at that time (year and a half back)

- 1800 + taxes -> Underbody treatment + 2 years warranty + 4 checkups
- 900 + taxes -> Engine treatment
- 3200 + taxes -> Underbody + Engine + 5 year warranty + 10 free checkups.

I got the 1800 one done.
Old 30th May 2012, 08:55   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Will take it to the ASC and see what they quote for it
Just an update . I mailed ford to fix this issue FOC even though i'm out of warranty on a goodwill basis as i believe this basically is a quality issue.
As expected Ford denied the claims saying that since I have skipped the service ( yes my car has run only 3k kms to do a 60k maintenance) they cannot do it. I asked them how servicing can prevent rust from hidden parts like under the beading ,the customer relations offer kept repeating the service.
I'm quite sure that they would have found out some other reason if haven't skipped the service.
When I showed the car to the ASC i was told that there is a dent which caused the rust ,for which i told him that the dent is because the panels are pressed during manufacturing and its there on all the doors.
Old 9th July 2012, 17:06   #233
BHPian

Ohhh i missed this thread & got my new linea treated with wurth for 3800 for 5 years warranty.

Actually I asked Concorde motors for a anti rust coating & they said for 3800. After negotiating (Explained in other thread) they gave for free & on the day of delivery they handed over a warranty card of wurth for 5 years.

Is WURTH good??????? I know I am asking too late but still.
Old 9th July 2012, 21:30   #234
BANNED

Any product is as good as the application done, the best of products not applied in the right way or in the right places would be incomplete.

for the price you paid, you should have got a full body treatment and not just on the under-chassis, do reconfirm with your dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modifiedsachin View Post
Ohhh i missed this thread & got my new linea treated with wurth for 3800 for 5 years warranty.

Actually I asked Concorde motors for a anti rust coating & they said for 3800. After negotiating (Explained in other thread) they gave for free & on the day of delivery they handed over a warranty card of wurth for 5 years.

Is WURTH good??????? I know I am asking too late but still.
Old 10th July 2012, 07:52   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modifiedsachin View Post
got my new linea treated with wurth for 3800 for 5 years warranty.
Is WURTH good???????
Wurth is definitely good and have got it done for my Fiesta's underbody. Even I too have got the 5 year warranty and get the underbody inspected twice a year. The coating held good and was recently reapplied after a good 2.5 yrs of usage. It also depends upon the application process too.
Old 12th August 2012, 22:15   #236
BHPian

So today I went to a Maruti Showroom with a friend who is buying Swift Desire LXI. I thought I would bargain on his behalf for the anti-rust treatment. To my surprise, the agent said that Maruti Cars don't need anti-rust treatment because it is done by the company itself. Thus, I checked the couple of cars inside the showroom and there was no underbody coat there. When I asked the sales chap about this he said that I would not be able to tell because Maruti mixes anti-rust coat with the paint.
Did not know how to react to that!
Old 12th September 2012, 13:10   #237
BANNED

all vehicles are treated with a basic undercoat mostly PVC at the manufacturing level, the treatment is done before the paint coat

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
So today I went to a Maruti Showroom with a friend who is buying Swift Desire LXI. I thought I would bargain on his behalf for the anti-rust treatment. To my surprise, the agent said that Maruti Cars don't need anti-rust treatment because it is done by the company itself. Thus, I checked the couple of cars inside the showroom and there was no underbody coat there. When I asked the sales chap about this he said that I would not be able to tell because Maruti mixes anti-rust coat with the paint.
Did not know how to react to that!
Old 22nd March 2013, 18:59   #238
BHPian

For a Brand new car, do we require underbody treatment and paint protection coat ? i am talking about 3M, not the teflon coating.

Now, even with all the new technologies which the new cars come in with, erosion,corrosion, wear , tear starts as soon as you switch on the engine. So, to preserve the off the showroom look and feel, will it not be a good idea to go for paint protection and Underbody coating for a brand new car as well ?
Old 22nd March 2013, 20:41   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit0103 View Post
For a Brand new car, do we require underbody treatment and paint protection coat ? i am talking about 3M, not the teflon coating.

Now, even with all the new technologies which the new cars come in with, erosion,corrosion, wear , tear starts as soon as you switch on the engine. So, to preserve the off the showroom look and feel, will it not be a good idea to go for paint protection and Underbody coating for a brand new car as well ?
Any additional coating (paint, underbody etc) will only help to keep the vehicle in pristine condition for longer. The catch though is making sure a good job is done
Old 23rd March 2013, 11:44   #240
BANNED

Rust prevention can be of two types, only under body OR Full Vehicle

Full vehicle treatment is required for corrosive area like proximity to the sea or industrial area.

For pune an underbody coat may suffice, so said Avoid washing the vehcile daily by pouring water over car, wiping would be a better idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit0103 View Post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks