Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2013, 22:44   #241
Senior - BHPian

re: Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car

How much does the 3M™ Anti Corrosion & Rust Protection Treatments cost in Bangalore if any one has got it done recently?
Old 28th June 2013, 15:56   #242
Senior - BHPian

I got my car's underbody rust treated in 2007 when I bought it, and again in 2012, but still rust seems to have gotten to my underbody. the TASC has given me a 20K quote for it, typically how much does it cost to fix outside ?

Or should I just sell it ?
Old 24th July 2013, 23:32   #243
BHPian

Any car, may it be Mercedes or Maruti, or even the Nano comes with a factory coated underbody. It won't peel off or chip away even after 10 years unless scrapped over speedbreakers or other obstacles. Money spent for an underbody coat for a brand new car is a complete waste. If at all a recoat is needed after years of abuse then it has to be done correctly. The procedure involves scrubbing and washing off the dirt >> drying >> cleaning with fat solvents (degreasing) >> primer pre-coat >> drying >> rust preventive pre-coat >> drying >> Silicone-polyether 1st and 2nd coat >> drying. For all this I would expect a bill of 8K.

The car manufacturer has already done a perfect job. Tell me which service provider follows this procedure? NONE !! May it be 3M service or anybody else, they are done in 20 minutes flat. Most often they will spray over the dirt and grime if you are not around !! Who cares about warranty? Do you really have time to chase them later? If at all you see the under body rusted then its time to sell off the car. The ravages of nature cannot be stopped with a flimsy after-coat. Half of all the car care products make brisk business simply because of our emotional attachement and hype. I say this after owning/maintaining 6 different cars and years of wasted time, being over protective. The car is for me and not the other way around. Turn up the volume and enjoy the ride.
Chewbacca is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 10:23   #244
BANNED

Got the 3M under-body treatment(5 years warranty) for i20 on Aug 2011. I now feel that it was just another waste of money and I strongly agree with all the points Chewbacca has mentioned in the previous post.
mithun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 11:11   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Totally agree with chewbacca. Most of the car care product manufacturers seem to be taking advantage of our emotional connect with the cars. Result: Insanely high priced products. Moreover, most underbody painters would probably give a good wash before the paint job, but I am again sure that they will not go through all the steps as stated in the post above.

And an underbody coat in a new car is simply a rip-off by the car dealers, to make up some money from the unsuspecting and noobs.
Old 13th August 2013, 10:06   #246

Saved by the bell so to speak, was just about to go get the under body done when checked up here. Thanks.
Old 14th August 2013, 17:36   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Got the 3M under-body treatment(5 years warranty) for i20 on Aug 2011. I now feel that it was just another waste of money and I strongly agree with all the points Chewbacca has mentioned in the previous post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Totally agree with chewbacca. Most of the car care product manufacturers seem to be taking advantage of our emotional connect with the cars. Result: Insanely high priced products. Moreover, most underbody painters would probably give a good wash before the paint job, but I am again sure that they will not go through all the steps as stated in the post above.

And an underbody coat in a new car is simply a rip-off by the car dealers, to make up some money from the unsuspecting and noobs.
I agree wholeheartedly with the comments above, but it doesn't harm to check the underbody after a few years. Corrosion spreads like unchecked cancer, and a little preventative work to catch it before it has eaten into metal can save a fortune in repairs or resale value.
Old 14th August 2013, 17:44   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatOut View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with the comments above, but it doesn't harm to check the underbody after a few years. Corrosion spreads like unchecked cancer, and a little preventative work to catch it before it has eaten into metal can save a fortune in repairs or resale value.
Yes of course, a periodic check must be in place. I did not care for it for the first 5 years of my purchase, but then got it done once and then again. At MASS, it costs around 2.2-2.5K and will last 2-3 seasons, IMO. One should remember that apart from just the gradual wear of the underbody paint, all those body-scrapping breakers, pot holes and other hits take their toll on the under body which in turn chip the paint (& hence the protection ) off. The exposed & bare metal area is obviously prone to rust which can spread easily.

I keep in mind the 'target of 20 years.' If you can keep the under body safe for so many years, other things will give up sooner; its like the lifetime for the car anyway.
Old 14th August 2013, 17:47   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Yes of course, a periodic check must be in place. I did not care for it for the first 5 years of my purchase, but then got it done once and then again. At MASS, it costs around 2.2-2.5K and will last 2-3 seasons, IMO. One should remember that apart from just the gradual wear of the underbody paint, all those body-scrapping breakers, pot holes and other hits take their toll on the under body which in turn chip the paint (& hence the protection ) off. The exposed & bare metal area is obviously prone to rust which can spread easily.

I keep in mind the 'target of 20 years.' If you can keep the under body safe for so many years, other things will give up sooner; its like the lifetime for the car anyway.
Some of the greatest underbody damage is done by poorly-placed garage jacks, without the use of a protective wooden block. At best, these can remove the protection and expose bare steel, at worst, they can distort sill to floor joints and so create a haven for corrosion in years to come. In my experience tyre fitters are the most likely to do such damage.
FlatOut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2013, 16:47   #250
BHPian

Palio came with 7year antirust warranty. The floorboard is not corroded it still has original antirust coating. There are some rusted panels over the windshield tray collector. Now a days almost all car came with zinc coatd floor boards which doesnt require antirust coating. But the road noise will definitely increase due to the absence of insulation layer. The purpose of antirust coating is to reduce the overall sound from tires and stone chipping. If you use cheap Tar based it will not going to stay and doesnot have sound dampening property. Butyl or polimer based coating can dramatically reduce the road noise. Its not a 20 mins job. Remove the wheel arch and spray inside wheel arch tire noise will definitely reduce. 3 coats once should definitely notice the difference
Old 5th February 2014, 06:08   #251

Hi,
I have just bought a Honda Amaze. The dealer is quoting Rs 3500 for Internal Panel Anti Corrosion from 3M. Am i quoted the correct price? Please note that this DOES NOT include underbody coating.
Old 8th February 2014, 06:18   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebinz View Post
Hi,
I have just bought a Honda Amaze. The dealer is quoting Rs 3500 for Internal Panel Anti Corrosion from 3M. Am i quoted the correct price? Please note that this DOES NOT include underbody coating.
I was told by the Honda dealer that the underbody treatment would cost Rs 4000 and the Internal Panel Anti Corrosion another Rs 3500. Is this the real cost? Has anybody done this? They also told me that engine coating would cost another Rs 500. Can some expert please shed some light on this?
Old 8th February 2014, 09:47   #253
BANNED

What do they Cover in the internal panel coating ?

You can get an estimate by contacting 3M.

Engine coating might be lacquer. That just makes it easy to clean.
The most important in the underbody coating. It prevents/delays rust and dampens sound.
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 16:05   #254
BHPian

Hi,
I booked a Verna recently and the dealer, as part of freebies offered free under chassis coating. What I understand that it will be done at their service centre and there will be no bill or document related to it.
Is it likely that they would do nothing/something and call it under chassis coating ? How to check if the work has been done properly ?
Old 21st April 2014, 16:23   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
Hi,
I booked a Verna recently and the dealer, as part of freebies offered free under chassis coating. What I understand that it will be done at their service centre and there will be no bill or document related to it.
Is it likely that they would do nothing/something and call it under chassis coating ? How to check if the work has been done properly ?
IMO, underbody coat for a brand new car is just a gimmick. They already come with good underbody protection from the factory and unless you scrap the bottom of the car on the speed breakers or potholes, enough to take off the coat from the car, there is absolutely no use going for it during the initial years of the ownership.
Cars plying in coastal areas may need frequent inspection of the underbody to ensure that there is no exposed metal or rust formation.

Edit: Also I must add that if the underbody coat is done in an improper way and the finish is not good, it may act as a mud n slash catcher and lead to more damage than any good! Also, before going for such a coat, ensure that the surface to be painted is washed, cleaned and dried well.

Last edited by saket77 : 21st April 2014 at 16:25.

Most Viewed