Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2020, 02:16   #361
BHPian

Re: Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car

I am considering the antiruct underbody coat for my ecosport, the car has just done 3k kms and I feel its the right time to get it done as I plan to keep the car for long. I amsure its worth the money.

Also I had a query- As the coating is rubber and almost a couple of millimeters thick and is done in the wheel arches al well, does it help reduce road noise?
Old 23rd October 2020, 09:28   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
Also I had a query- As the coating is rubber and almost a couple of millimeters thick and is done in the wheel arches al well, does it help reduce road noise?
Yes it does reduce road noise and also helps protect the underbody from road chips flying during driving. Usually if coated well with proper consistency it does help in road noise.
scorpian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 00:50   #363
BHPian

After going through the entire thread, I've come to the conclusion that there is no indisputable evidence behind the effectiveness of underbody coatings with respect to rust prevention and sound dampening.

Ayes
1. Backers cite the necessity to put a layer between bare metal in the underbody and water from potholes, humid air, rain, floods etc.
2. Protection from rock chips
3. Dampening of road noise

Nays
1. Detractors say that most manufacturers already provide rust protection from the factory.
2. There are testimonials of the rubber coating trapping moisture thereby accelerating the rusting without even the tell-tale visual giveaways.
3. The road noise reduction seems to be subjective.
4. Do we really need to protect the underbody from rock chips?

Would be awesome if Mods can add a poll to this thread so that Bhpians might have some statistical gauge before plonking their hard earned money on a highly debatable product/service.
iamitp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 20:32   #364
BHPian

Hi
Honda dealership is offering 3m underbody coating for honda city at a price of Rs 3500. Is it a good deal ?? I am attaching a picture of the product they are going to use.
Attached Thumbnails
Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car-img_20201103_202858.jpg  

Last edited by Kpzonwheels : 3rd November 2020 at 20:34.
Old 9th November 2020, 10:22   #365
BHPian

Went in for my first service today at Safdarjung Hyundai. Noticed that the some parts on the underbody seem to have a factory coating. Still confused about whether I should or not get the entire underbody coated by rubberized coatings such as 3M. Also checked about with my detailer, Autotech Delhi, and he advised against it.
Attached Thumbnails
Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car-img_20201109_101602.jpg  

Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car-img_20201109_101617.jpg  

Old 10th November 2020, 16:56   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitp View Post
Would be awesome if Mods can add a poll to this thread so that Bhpians might have some statistical gauge before plonking their hard earned money on a highly debatable product/service.
I am one of the Nay sayers.
The polls cannot be a accurate as perceptions and wrong beliefs have historically been stronger than logical and scientific reasoning.

And haven't we already learned from the recent fear mongering about the COVID19 situation? They have to first create the fear and apprehension before they can sell the preventive/protective/diagnostic/toxic products and services.

Getting an underbody coating done is like smearing tar on a freshly painted wall, to protect the paint !!

Last edited by Chewbacca : 10th November 2020 at 17:00.
Chewbacca is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 20:11   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
I am one of the Nay sayers.
The polls cannot be a accurate as perceptions and wrong beliefs have historically been stronger than logical and scientific reasoning.

And haven't we already learned from the recent fear mongering about the COVID19 situation? They have to first create the fear and apprehension before they can sell the preventive/protective/diagnostic/toxic products and services.

Getting an underbody coating done is like smearing tar on a freshly painted wall, to protect the paint !!
That's what even I feel about car maker's promotion for underbody coating. They are trying to milk the customer emotion as much as possible. The service targets fear in the mind of the customer. Fear of losing their investment due to rusting.
iamitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 14:44   #368
BHPian

Quote:
That's what even I feel about car maker's promotion for underbody coating. They are trying to milk the customer emotion as much as possible. The service targets fear in the mind of the customer. Fear of losing their investment due to rusting.
Spoke to 3M (Adhchini) out of curiosity, and this is what they are offering for Creta 2020:

2 years underbody - 3450
5 years underbody - 5703
Silencer coating - 1288
IPP - 4500
All prices inclusive of GST.

Any idea on what's IPP? Impact protection profile?
iamitp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2020, 09:43   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Silencer coating - 1288
Any idea on what's IPP? Impact protection profile?
Wow! This is getting even more crazier.
Any idea how hot the silencer gets after just 15 minutes of driving?
Would any paint/coat last on such hot surfaces?
And then, why would anyone want to reduce the cooling efficiency of the silencer by putting a coat on it? This is like wearing a leather jacket in scorching sunlight!!

IPP = It's perfectly preposterous
Chewbacca is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 10:54   #370
BHPian

Wow! There's so much of information in this thread.
I went to 3M Car Care at Topsia, Kolkata yesterday and they quoted, 4500 for the underbody antirust coating which would be applied only on the ladder frame and not the driveshaft, differential case or other parts. A zinc coat on silencer would cost around 1500.

After going through this thread, I am dropping the idea of getting an antirust coat.
OneLivingLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 22:27   #371
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have just a week ago given my WagonR (2013 model) the DINITROL TUFKOTE Treatment as it is parked right next to the sea and was showing some signs of oxidation. This was done on the entire underbody, the entire engine bay and inside all 4 doors and rear hatchback. The silencer which was showing some signs of corrosion was also coated with a heat resistant coating. Engine was also coated with some special coat. All the door edges and hinge areas were coated with Dinitrol as was the area under the windscreen wipers, This was basically a two coat process. The first coat (light brown) is to reach all the hidden areas and fill in any gaps. Then the car is sent for an underbody wash while this coat dries. The second coat is a dark brown - almost black. Applied in all the spaces mentioned above. It took about 6 hours for the entire job and for the last coat to dry before the spare tyre could be placed back in the boot. The guys doing the job seemed to be well aware of what they had to do and were quite professional. How effective it will be only time will tell. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 23:11   #372
BHPian

Rubberised Underbody coating is a good solution. I feel it's essential you do it as soon as you get the car outside your sales showroom as the underside will be fresh, clean and free of any impurities. This will help the coating stick better to the body and offer enhanced protection. Recommended especially if you are in coastal areas.
Old 8th December 2020, 01:59   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,

I have just a week ago given my WagonR (2013 model) the DINITROL TUFKOTE Treatment as it is parked right next to the sea and was showing some signs of oxidation. This was done on the entire underbody, the entire engine bay and inside all 4 doors and rear hatchback. The silencer which was showing some signs of corrosion was also coated with a heat resistant coating. Engine was also coated with some special coat. All the door edges and hinge areas were coated with Dinitrol as was the area under the windscreen wipers, This was basically a two coat process. The first coat (light brown) is to reach all the hidden areas and fill in any gaps. Then the car is sent for an underbody wash while this coat dries. The second coat is a dark brown - almost black. Applied in all the spaces mentioned above. It took about 6 hours for the entire job and for the last coat to dry before the spare tyre could be placed back in the boot. The guys doing the job seemed to be well aware of what they had to do and were quite professional. How effective it will be only time will tell. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Regards,
SS
Did you get this done with the official dealer Tufkote in Goregaon I think ? Was there any overspray of the waxy material on the door panel and other painted surfaces ? Also is there a strong chemical smell inside the car after the treatment ? I'm asking because it would be good to do on a new car followed by ceramic coating so I was wondering if extra thorough decontamination would be required of the painted panels.

Don't worry the waxy coatings are very effective without the danger of trapping rust underneath like the rubber coatings
Old 8th December 2020, 23:35   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Did you get this done with the official dealer Tufkote in Goregaon I think ? Was there any overspray of the waxy material on the door panel and other painted surfaces ? Also is there a strong chemical smell inside the car after the treatment ? I'm asking because it would be good to do on a new car followed by ceramic coating so I was wondering if extra thorough decontamination would be required of the painted panels.

Don't worry the waxy coatings are very effective without the danger of trapping rust underneath like the rubber coatings
Hi Mortis,

Yes. I did it with the official TUFKOTE Dealer on the Link Road in Goregaon.
Yes there is a bit of "overspray" but it is well "managed". Very neatly finished. Please see the pics attached. That's the bonnet and rear hatch. All doors are finished in the same way.
Yes. There is a chemical smell inside the car but it disappears after 24 hours if you leave the car parked with the windows cracked open.
You are on the right track. I think it would be best to do this on a new car - although there are two schools of thought on this.
I don't think any decontamination would be necessary after this treatment. Just don't use the car for a couple of days.

Regards,
SS
Attached Thumbnails
Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car-img20201121wa0037.jpg  

Underbody treatment / Anti-rust coating for the car-img20201121wa0042.jpg  

Old 13th December 2020, 07:33   #375
BHPian

What I have seen so far, underbody coating is more of a belief and mental satisfaction. The other factor is surely the sales guy who proposes the idea. I, too, had gone for the underbody treatment (Ford EcoSport) when I went for my first free service. However, I did not do anything further after that. Many of my friends and colleagues had not done it, and their cars are in perfect condition as mine.

In the normal city weather condition (really cannot comment on sea-sides weather conditions with saltwater corrosion) it really does not matter!

Regards,

~/kb

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks