Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2007, 22:30   #31
Senior - BHPian

I suppose given our weather conditions, dusty roads, coastal areas, water logging on roads, etc it would be a wise decision to get the under chassis coated. I have done it on my Esteem and 3M have really done a good job. Its been about 2 years now and my car has withstood all spells of rain and more importantly water logged roads. The manufacturer might have done his bit here but we are always on the safer side going in for a treatment after buying the car. After all, it is something we all cherish and hope to last for a lifetime.
Old 22nd March 2007, 05:52   #32
BHPian

Any clue whether Verna crdi comes with a underbody rustproof coating?
Old 24th April 2007, 11:35   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
I've heard that there is no benefit by Underbody Coating, unless car isn't rustproofed/undercoated by the factory. And also Underbody Coating is un-necessary because almost all the new cars have rustproofing and undercoating.

The car is painted with several coats, starting from a cathodic electrodeposited undercoat, which are designed to take care of the requirements of normal operation in our climate.

Also, we can opt for Dinitrol coating as a precautionary measure against rusting in coastal weather. This is not really required in inland areas.

So do we need Underbody Coating ? OR is it a mere eyewash ?
I bought my Santro in 2002 & got anti-rust treatment done at the dealer's workshop during the 1st service. Hyundai gave me a 5-year warranty against rust because of this treatment.
After 3 years the doors started rusting and after another year there was a gaping hole in one of them. January 2007 the dealer's workshop replaced 3 doors, repaired the 4th & painted all of them FOC because of the warranty.
My 2-paise on anti-rust treatment - It probably doesn't work but get it done anyway so that you are covered with the warranty.
This time I have had the insides of the doors greased. I am not sure if grease is any better.
Old 24th April 2007, 11:52   #34
BHPian

am giving my car(Santro) for 2nd service next week... shall i get underbody rustproof coating for my car..
Old 26th April 2007, 22:58   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepak_ms View Post
am giving my car(Santro) for 2nd service next week... shall i get underbody rustproof coating for my car..
Why just underbody? Why not the whole car, if the company is giving you a warranty?
Old 28th April 2007, 05:28   #36
BANNED

Yesterday, I've done an underbody Dinitrol coating for my 6 year old Alto at about Rs.1400 from MASS. Got only 1 year warranty since the sales rep told me that Maruti only provides 1 year warranty and nothing more !!!

And the warranty covers only the Dinitrol coating and not any parts on the car !!!
Old 29th April 2007, 12:27   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
And the warranty covers only the Dinitrol coating and not any parts on the car !!!
You mean to say if the coating comes off within a year, they'll do it again but if the underbody rusts, you'll have to pay for the repairs? Gobbledeegook!
Old 29th April 2007, 20:03   #38
elf
BANNED

Where can one buy rubber paint in Bombay? I have a garage I can get it done at, so only want a source for the paint.

Am interested in getting the insides of my doors, the wheel-wells, the underbody & the dickey done. More as a deterrent to road noise than rustproofing, although will be happy if it helps there even.
Old 29th April 2007, 22:05   #39
BHPian

elf@ try at standox dealer near opera house...its just outside the famous theater with twin-name (sorry forgot the name)
Old 29th April 2007, 23:34   #40
BHPian

before proceeding with under body coat take time urself to see for RUST (fender area, wheel well, floor) - Isolate areas - Cure - check & Inspect and then proceed for the coat. Dont rely on the person who will do the coating to take care of Rustproofing.

as this is seldom overlooked and most will just use a high pressure hose to get it cleaned and coat / rustproof - shortcut. leaving the Rust hidden to work on the inside - results later in bubble forming.
Old 1st May 2007, 05:52   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
You mean to say if the coating comes off within a year, they'll do it again but if the underbody rusts, you'll have to pay for the repairs? Gobbledeegook!
Yes, you got it right !!!

Also, they haven't done any coating on the door sides etc....
Old 31st May 2007, 12:27   #42
Senior - BHPian

Under body coat..

Hello folks..
Rainy days are here and time to worry about rust. Recently had given my car for service (Whitefield Honda) and the service advisor suggested me to get the "under body coat" done for my car .He said it will cost me 4500 bucks some 3M stuff i called up a nother painter he said he will do it for 1500 bucks. he uses some hp thing so i wanted to know is it sensible to get it done from WF honda for 4500 bucks or the local guy can offer me the same quality???

thanks guys

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by bblost : 29th October 2009 at 18:02. Reason: ... post
Old 31st May 2007, 12:33   #43
BHPian

I have always found the underbody stuff usless unless there is paint damage. During Monsoons it is better to get the underbody cleaned a bit often to avoid rust.
Old 31st May 2007, 12:40   #44
Senior - BHPian

I think all this under-body coating is nothing but just getting money out of your pocket....I would suggest to drop the idea and invest at other area which need attention....
Old 31st May 2007, 12:40   #45
Senior - BHPian

Check the product quality and what assurance they are offerring. Usually you will require a 2-3 touchups in the next 2 years, which are covered under their offer.(no extra cost)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks