Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2016, 22:02   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetsng View Post
Yesterday evening while driving back home, it started raining very heavily. All of a sudden the airbag sign on the console lit up. It is now on continuously.

How to go about it? Help!

Must be a clockspring issue. Get it checked. If that is the case it would around INR 2100 to get it replaced.
Old 9th August 2016, 23:26   #167
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 - Tips & Tricks

Quote:
Yesterday evening while driving back home, it started raining very heavily. All of a sudden the airbag sign on the console lit up. It is now on continuously.

Have you installed aftermarket horns ? My car ran normally up until 3 years after which the same thing happened. I will be getting it repaired in the coming week. It is a clockspring issue if you after market horns. Use a relay after changing the clockspring.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th May 2017 at 06:55. Reason: Typo
Old 9th August 2016, 23:29   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag4 View Post
Have you installed aftermarket horns ? My car ran normally up until 3 years after which the same thing happened. I will be getting it repaired in the coming week. It is a clockspring issue if you after market horns. Use a relay after changing the clockspring.
I have been using aftermarket horns too. I think there is already a relay setup for the horns. Have you installed an additional relay setup for the same??

Last edited by Aditya : 8th May 2017 at 06:56. Reason: Quoted text edited
Old 10th August 2016, 07:10   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Must be a clockspring issue. Get it checked. If that is the case it would around INR 2100 to get it replaced.
Thanks! Will get it checked at A$$ soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag4 View Post
Nothing aftermarket in my car. It just happened!

Will get clocks print checked.

Cheers!
Abhi

Last edited by Aditya : 8th May 2017 at 06:56. Reason: Quoted text edited
Old 10th August 2016, 09:19   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Will get clocks print checked.
If your steering wheel controls don't work then the clockspring is at fault.

If they work then it can be various other things. As small as a blown fuse/wire cut or a wheel speed sensor for which the whole hub has to be changed. The sensor and it's tone ring are fixed onto the hub and cannot be opened/changed separately!

Don't know what Hyundai engineers were thinking when they designed them!

Hope this helps!
hrbheda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 09:32   #171
BHPian

Quote:

i have faced the same issue few years back and as JAG4 said most of the time aftermarket horn is the real culprit. If you have not installed new horn then i recommend you to visit a garage and get your car scanned and all the wirings checked. Remember your airbag will not work as the clock spring is damaged. So get it checked ASAP.
Akib Khan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 10:39   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akib Khan View Post
i have faced the same issue few years back and as JAG4 said most of the time aftermarket horn is the real culprit. If you have not installed new horn then i recommend you to visit a garage and get your car scanned and all the wirings checked. Remember your airbag will not work as the clock spring is damaged. So get it checked ASAP.
It's giving me sleepless nights considering the amount of driving that I do. Will definitely get it checked at A$$ as soon as I find some time off work.

Thanks none the less.

Cheers,
Abhi
Old 10th August 2016, 14:21   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbheda View Post

Hope this helps!

Not necessarily. When it happened in my car the controls were working perfectly fine.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 17:12   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Not necessarily. When it happened in my car the controls were working perfectly fine.
+1. All my steering mounted controls were working properly. I think the clock spring's main use is to control the airbag. I may be wrong though. I got my clock spring replaced for 1800rs including labour and taxes. I would advice you to check with atleast two A.S.S to get the price as i got a quote of 3000 rs and 1800 for the same part including labour. Hope this helps.
Old 10th August 2016, 19:12   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Good to know.
When my clock spring was replaced a few years back, none of the steering controls worked so I just assumed it's all connected.
Old 6th January 2017, 17:02   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbheda View Post

If they work then it can be various other things. As small as a blown fuse/wire cut or a wheel speed sensor for which the whole hub has to be changed. The sensor and it's tone ring are fixed onto the hub and cannot be opened/changed separately!

Don't know what Hyundai engineers were thinking when they designed them!

Hope this helps!
Steering wheels controls work fine.

Haven't really got time to get it checked.

Thanks for your inputs..

Cheers,
Abhi
Old 8th April 2017, 13:03   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
I've a 5 years old i20 Asta Petrol which has clocked over 87k on the Odo. About an year ago, I had the Steering mounted Audio Controls acting weird and eventually they stopped working altogether soon. I inquired from a Local Audio guy for the fix and he reverted in negative since he never undertook this kind of a job. A week ago, my horn refused to blow and upon checking with the Accessories shop, he told me that the Steering needs to be opened and shall cost something about Rs. 1,500. Since this very model has Airbags I headed to Hans Hyundai Service Centre and conveyed my issue to the SA there.

They changed the Clockspring behind the Steering wheel which acts as an Electrical Signals Link and both Horn & Steering Mounted Audio Controls started working. Total Cost was Rs. 2054 which also included Wiper Blade Rubber (Rear).

I suppose the Steering Controls issue is a common problem hence posting here for the benefit of members at large!
My Fluidic Verna 2013 had the same issue since 2 months i.e. the steering mounted buttons are acting weird.
They function normally when the steering in in center position but when its turned they either don't work or work in a wrong manner, e.g. volume down will raise volume, volume up will dial phone etc.
Was looking for a solution when i found this post.
This clarifies the matter.
Thanks.
Will update after changing the clock spring.
Old 3rd May 2017, 14:16   #178
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai i20 - Tips & Tricks

I am facing a serious issue lately. Whenever I am turning the steering wheel with the car at standstill or at very low speeds, say during a 2-3 point turning corner, the steering is making 'khat khat' noice and is getting stuck intermittently. It even lost the power steering 2-3 times(the light in the dash came up).
Anyone faced a similar problem here. Other than that the car is still running beautifully. No other noice or rattle on it 7th year.
Old 26th May 2017, 11:12   #179
BHPian

Quote:
I am facing a serious issue lately. Whenever I am turning the steering wheel with the car at standstill or at very low speeds, say during a 2-3 point turning corner, the steering is making 'khat khat' noice and is getting stuck intermittently. It even lost the power steering 2-3 times(the light in the dash came up).
Anyone faced a similar problem here. Other than that the car is still running beautifully. No other noice or rattle on it 7th year.
Please get the Balls and arms checked for the front wheels. In all likely hood, they would require replacement. It is a normal wear and tear situation.

Cheers!
Abhi
Old 22nd October 2017, 23:19   #180
BHPian

Hello all!
I had replaced my EPS motor in my i20 exactly 2 years back, through HASS. It was replaced since it was vibrating vigorously at both the extreme left and right positions.

In the 2 years since, my car has done about 14k kms. Now, the EPS motor, while turning the wheel any side, makes a noise similar to that of a bicycle chain and at a position just before either extreme lock positions, jumps towards the respective extreme lock position.

I know its the EPS motor as i got it checked out by my local FNG. According to him, it a common problem faced by the i20 and Verna as well.

I have noticed, even the spares bought from HASS are of a much inferior quality as compared to the factory fitted parts.

Can anyone please suggest a course of action ? I intend to get it replaced at my FNG since the Hyundai warranty is BS, but i don't want to replace it again after another 14k kms. Can someone from the mods or higher ups get Hyundai involved as I'm sure there would be other customers facing similar issues ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks