Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2011, 13:21   #271
BANNED

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_2025 View Post

3000 cancellation charges
back
Is this a regular practice of charging for a cancellation ? I thought I can withdraw a booking anytime before delivery ?
Old 4th May 2011, 14:55   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
The car started a cacophony of warning flashes about the key fob not being in the car. I am sure, another few feet of distance and the the driver's seat would have ejected me out of the car.
If the person who's trying to drive away with the car is not aware of this "cacophony of warning flashes"; that would be enough to scare him/her and jump off the car.
My feeling is, these scenarios would have been thoroughly handled before it goes in for production.
Old 4th May 2011, 15:56   #273
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashKeezh View Post
If the person who's trying to drive away with the car is not aware of this "cacophony of warning flashes"; that would be enough to scare him/her and jump off the car.
My feeling is, these scenarios would have been thoroughly handled before it goes in for production.
More than the warnings by themselves, I think it is what they are conveying that is more important. It's an urgent message for you which most probably serves as a Level-1 warning. I think logically speaking that engine will shut down as the next step if something is not done immediately once the warning starts flashing.
Old 4th May 2011, 16:23   #274
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review Zappo, rated the thread!

My concern with Hyundai launching such loaded cars is the constant updates which they do after the car is released. Best example being the i20. Within a year and a half of its launch, they changed the interior lighting to be in par with i30. Wonder if they will look to bridge the gap between Verna and (internationally launched) 2011 Elantra as at ~11L, Verna is just a segment lower to Sonata. Speaking of which, will they even think of launching the new Elantra here (which looks much better IMHO)?
Old 4th May 2011, 16:35   #275
BHPian

AT Lock/Unlock Funtion

The same concerns were raised during the launch of another car. The Micra if i remember correctly. It was discussed at lenght in that thread as well along with numerouse practical & logical situations. Seeing that there has been no "incident" since the launch, i would say this should not be a concern.

Will elaborate with the example below which should put many concerns to rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p'arth View Post
Can be risky in Indian conditions. Risk is either theft of car or valuables inside or both. Here's my scenario:

I always keep my laptop (in back seat) and cellphone (in cubby hole) in the car while going/returning to office. On way I stop for a smoke. The distance between the galla (shop) and where my car is parked is some 15 feet - enough for the car to recognize the fob in proximity. while I am busy buying, someone can attempt to open the door and take away the valuables.

Solution - a manual override button in the key which stops itself from getting detected. Not sure if its there in the Verna. Zappo, any comments on this?
The wireless option is exactly that - an option. It is not the sole method of locking & unlocking the car. The key fob has the normal lock & unlock buttons on it as well. So when you get out & feel a little paranoid, just lock it with the button.
The at lock/unlock is just for added convenience like when you have your hands full & the key is in your pocket/bag.

Hope this helps address certain concerns wrt the at lock/unlock function.

Last edited by Xehaust : 4th May 2011 at 16:37.
Old 4th May 2011, 16:41   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Not really, even if the fob is within the vicinity of the car it will do.

I think this is what will happen. I did not test this premise thoroughly. But I know the car detects the fob's presence all the time. I started the car when the fob was inside the pocket of my co-driver who was standing outside. It started, no issues there. However, after that he all of a sudden walked off a little far (I think to talk to someone). The car started a cacophony of warning flashes about the key fob not being in the car. I am sure, another few feet of distance and the the driver's seat would have ejected me out of the car.
Zappo, I had taken the Micra with the start-stop button and key fob arrangement on a test drive. The sales representative kept insisting that the car will start only of you are within the metal body of the car, and that its not a proximity thing alone. He then stood right just outside the car while I was inside (with all the doors closed) and asked me to start the car. It didnt start. He then door and stood between the door and the car, and the car started. Thought I'll share that, thought not sure whether it is the same system in the Verna as well.

Look forward to the detailed test when even this is looked into.
Old 4th May 2011, 16:42   #277
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chief Competitors

@sam_sant ! My colleague bought a SX4 ZDi. I frankly didnt feel anything special in the car! For me it was another diesel car which didnt have any oomph factor for 9.5lac! Also, 3 at rear is pain.
Old 4th May 2011, 16:45   #278
BHPian

Apart from the huge panel gaps and the centre console, there's nothing bad in the looks of the car! The verna transform looked weird from the front angle, this one has a mature and completed look!

6 speed gearbox! The 1.6 diesel MT will truly be a rockstar! i own a swift Dzire vdi and love the turbo kick after 2000 rpms, and truly hope that the acceleration in the new verna would be even better!

fingers crossed!
Old 4th May 2011, 18:42   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajoy123 View Post
Apart from the huge panel gaps and the centre console, there's nothing bad in the looks of the car! The verna transform looked weird from the front angle, this one has a mature and completed look!

6 speed gearbox! The 1.6 diesel MT will truly be a rockstar! i own a swift Dzire vdi and love the turbo kick after 2000 rpms, and truly hope that the acceleration in the new verna would be even better!

fingers crossed!
From the review, what I inferred was that the kick is absent in the new Verna, but the general acceleration is better than the current Verna, though only by a small margin.
Old 4th May 2011, 19:59   #280
BHPian

Gr8 review zappo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
From the review, what I inferred was that the kick is absent in the new Verna, but the general acceleration is better than the current Verna, though only by a small margin.
Man i used to seriously love the acceleration of my old Verna. m slightly disappointed by the numbers , i was expecting the new Verna to do a 0-100 dash in and around the 10sec region. cant comment about the kick it delivers till i drive it.

Btw i was planning to buy this car but the 4speed autobox is keeping me away from it. I guess i have to wait for the Hyundai Avante with a six speed autobox
Old 4th May 2011, 21:17   #281
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have a question here though.
Suppose you are standing few feet away from the car with the key in your pocket (within the range, of course), can someone else open the door and start the engine and drive off?
open the door -> Yes
hi

unless you press unlock button on the remote - doors should not open , at least thats what happens in my beemer and there is no logic for car to get unlocked just by mere presence of key near by .
Quote:
start the engine -> Yes
no - unless Key is inside the car - no chance

drive off-> May not go far [/quote]

nope - it won't start so no question of going anywhere

I had got warnings occasionally when key is a bit far from dash board and these goes off as soon as key comes in range but what happens say if you drop the key while moving or say its with co passengers and he alights - i don't know at the moment - I shall do a practical check tomorrow and update ..
Old 4th May 2011, 22:08   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose56 View Post
i was expecting the new Verna to do a 0-100 dash in and around the 10sec region.
Are the acceleration figures out?
Old 5th May 2011, 01:35   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Are the acceleration figures out?
According to this month's ACI its 11.11 for the diesel manual and 10.45 for the petrol ( not sure if the figure is for manual or auto)
Old 5th May 2011, 02:23   #284
BHPian

Hey @Oxygen, your smiley left me giggling yesterday. Well, 7 more days to go and we are yet to see two things, the pricing and the updated website.
I mean why cannot they update their website with pictures of 'ANHV' at least, it's still showing 'Verna Transform'.

Few asked a question regarding presence of dead pedal, well I believe, we are comparing with VW Vento. Yes its present and big enough. In following few pictures it's quite visible.

Few questions for Zappo.
Zappo, were you able to test BT connectivity? If yes, how's it ? Is the procedure simple enough? What all features does it provide?
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-dead_pedal.jpg  

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-dead_pedal2.jpg  

Old 5th May 2011, 05:10   #285
BHPian

Going to book verna tom,the dealer has been calling me since 5 days,told him i will come by tom,he told me he has got some new snaps of the car,and car will be in the showroom by 11 may.iam planning to book verna D 1.6 manuel,but confused SX or SX o..Is SX O only for Auto or for manuel also,Can anyone tell me what is extra in SX O

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks