Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 21:29   #256
BHPian

Re: Safety features, Engine, Performance and Braking

Great Review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post

As long as the smart key is in your pocket, all you need to do is press the clutch and hit the start button:
I have a question here though.
Suppose you are standing few feet away from the car with the key in your pocket (within the range, of course), can someone else open the door and start the engine and drive off?
Old 3rd May 2011, 21:44   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
Suppose you are standing few feet away from the car with the key in your pocket (within the range, of course), can someone else open the door and start the engine and drive off?
I think the key fob needs to be inside the car for it to start.
Old 3rd May 2011, 22:45   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
If someone drives off, then the distance b/w the key fob and the car will increase and the car will switch off as soon as the key fob is out of range for the car.

This simply means that the car wud be impossible to hijack ! Condition is that the key fob remains in the pocket of the driver.
Old 3rd May 2011, 23:39   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel lover View Post
If someone drives off, then the distance b/w the key fob and the car will increase and the car will switch off as soon as the key fob is out of range for the car.

This simply means that the car wud be impossible to hijack ! Condition is that the key fob remains in the pocket of the driver.
Are you sure? Once the engine is ignited, it may not keep looking for the fob.
Old 3rd May 2011, 23:57   #260
MAS
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

Great balanced review Zappo. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I was waiting for this review for a long time and as usual, it is well worth the wait.

I was looking at buying the 1.6 Diesel, but the poor handling of the car on the highway is a big deterrent.

Today, I received a call from Hyundai Motor Plaza and the guy started giving me details about the car. (Nothing new - Thanks to TBhp). The guy did not have any info on the price. He said test drive should be available from 15th May after its launch on 11th May.
Old 4th May 2011, 00:15   #261
BHPian

Quote:

I wouldn't say impossible to hijack. Hijacker may be tempted to bundle the owner into the dicky with the key fob in his pocket and then drive off.
Old 4th May 2011, 00:35   #262
BHPian

From the youtube video, Solaris v/s Polo Sedan, one of the comparison slides lists the price for Solaris Petrol (Verna Petrol) as 379,000- 604,000 against Polo Sedan Petrol (Vento Petrol) price as 412,000- 583,700. I am unsure if the pricing strategy remains same across different geographies. However, going by this slide, 1.6 Verna Petrol is going to be expensive than 1.6 Vento Petrol
Old 4th May 2011, 01:22   #263
BHPian

Spoke to a Team Leader at Samara Hyundai at Lajpat Nagar, Delhi.

50,000 for booking, 3000 cancellation charges
Not willing to share exact details on variants, colors etc.

Will now start a separate thread on a dilemma that his launch is putting me in.

Ooooo, I love the looks, bells & whistles...Wait, I bought a car only 11 Months back
Old 4th May 2011, 08:35   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Are you sure? Once the engine is ignited, it may not keep looking for the fob.
I hope so it does. Since it looks for the key fob before igniting.

Last edited by Rehaan : 5th May 2011 at 12:38. Reason: b4 = before. Please type words in full and avoid SMS language. Thanks.
Old 4th May 2011, 10:46   #265
BHPian

Re: Chief Competitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post

Maruti SX4:

Owners liked:
- Value-driven pricing
- Solid build quality
- Quick petrol engine
- Safety features on offer
- Spacious and well-spec'ed interiors
- Fantastic Maruti service

Owners disliked:
- Stiff ride quality at low speeds
- Lack of overall quality
- Sub-par fit and finish for the price
- Low engine refinement levels
- Rear seat center-hump
Hi Zappo, I wanted to get a technical point of view regarding one of the points you mentioned about SX4 D.

I test drove the Sx4 D last week. Im not a pro at things, so somewhere I think my understanding went wrong when you said "Low engine refinement levels" for the Sx4 !!!! To me, for the SX4, all other points you disliked were perfect except this one. I found the refinement levels pretty good. What I have seen is that the Ford TDCi and for that matter even the Polo TDi had a very bad typical diesel rattle which was more or less suppressed to a great extend in Suzuki DDiS. (I havent got a chance to drive the Vento TDi though)
Driving the SX4 DDiS, (to me) it felt more refined than riding my Swift DDiS. Overall it was ONLY the engine that I liked!! But you said refinement level is low. Can you help me understand that point better please? What parameters help us to assess a diesel engine?

Thanks in Advance.
Old 4th May 2011, 11:52   #266
BHPian

aravind.anand,Xehaust,Pioitive,

Thanks for the views.

SX4 seats are high-but ride and looks are debatable.Optra magnum looks a bit dated/could be discontinued/replaced.I intend to test drive the Verna and wait for the new Fiesta.Hope you guys agree.And if nothing works-well my Etios,after 6 months of course!!

Sorry,I am a newbie-still clumsy and inexperienced about the posts.Beg your pardon.

charthom

MGF Hyundai at Cochin has been gracious enough to reveal to me whatever information possible at the outset.They informed me long back the speculated launching date,the engine variants,the speculated price range etc-even though they were not very sure then.On the first day of the opening of booking itself someone offered to come to my residence for the booking formalities.100000/- advance,1000/-for cancellation.but I chose to wait for the much awaited official TD from Zappo-even though I was zapped (thanks a lot Zappo,great review) I got stuck on the low rear seat point and am waiting for an extensive TD of my own before booking.

Interestingly,I had registered my name on the new Verna web site.A girl called me and asked what information I liked.She said they could not reveal the name of the car etc.To her dismay,I seemed to know more than her about the car!!Now-a-days when there are so many sources of information-esp the formidable ones like T-BHP,it appears funny to me that Hyundai is acting secretive about their launches to build the suspense which is not there.Another way of underestimating the customers-don't you think?

Cheers!! charthom.

Last edited by Zappo : 4th May 2011 at 12:28. Reason: Please do not make these back to back posts. Use the edit button in the first 20 minutes to add content.
Old 4th May 2011, 12:31   #267
BHPian

lovely looking car packed with great features. and that lovely 1.6 TURBO diesel. i just hope they get the pricing right.
Old 4th May 2011, 12:54   #268
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Great Review!

open the door -> Yes
start the engine -> Yes
drive off-> May not go far

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Not really, even if the fob is within the vicinity of the car it will do.

Quote:
I think this is what will happen. I did not test this premise thoroughly. But I know the car detects the fob's presence all the time. I started the car when the fob was inside the pocket of my co-driver who was standing outside. It started, no issues there. However, after that he all of a sudden walked off a little far (I think to talk to someone). The car started a cacophony of warning flashes about the key fob not being in the car. I am sure, another few feet of distance and the the driver's seat would have ejected me out of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Great balanced review Zappo. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I was waiting for this review for a long time and as usual, it is well worth the wait.
I am happy if it helped you in taking a few decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Hi Zappo, I wanted to get a technical point of view regarding one of the points you mentioned about SX4 D.

...when you said "Low engine refinement levels" for the Sx4 !!!!

Do not tie yourself up in knots. Let me put a few points here for your benefit.
  • We put up a list of cars with which the new entrant will compete
  • Competition may not only be in one segment. So if both petrol and diesel options are available the cars may compete in both categories
  • Our Likes/Dislikes are compiled from a list of oft-repeated complains and likings by the previous owners of a car
  • These listings are not specific to a single variant or a fuel/engine type but just a general compilation on that car
  • Remember, the diesel has just been launched whereas the petrol SX4 has been around for years
  • The coarse engine feedback is for most parts about the petrol engine of the SX4
I hope that clarifies it a bit more for you.

More than anything else, a car is something very personal. You will own and drive it all the time after spending your hard earned money. So while you should definitely listen to the feedback from the testers and experts the final call must be taken by you depending on your specific needs, likings etc. So if you find that you love the way a car/engine behaves then you probably should go ahead and buy that irrespective of what others say. The review here (and anywhere else) is to help you make an informed choice. The keyword being "informed". But the choice/decision has to be yours after being aware of all the sides. I hope that helps you clear your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
it appears funny to me that Hyundai is acting secretive about their launches to build the suspense which is not there.Another way of underestimating the customers-don't you think?
It depends on how you look at it. The girl who called you was in all probability a hired hand from some PR org etc. They are provided a briefing and they act accordingly.

By the way, many companies know that a sizeable number of people go through the reports, reviews, feedbacks etc to make their decision. That is why the companies spend $$$ to hold launch events, targetted drive events, clinics etc. However, they also believe that a bigger number of people still go ahead and plonk their money without getting into too many details. They go by their heart's call and of course by what they themselves get to see. So many of their responses are designed for this bigger set of people who presumably know a little less than you and your friend who do their research. I am sure as more number of people will start reading the reports and do their research the companies will also take a note and change their tack on how they respond to the general buyer queries.

Last edited by Zappo : 4th May 2011 at 14:26.
Old 4th May 2011, 13:10   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Great Review!

Can be risky in Indian conditions. Risk is either theft of car or valuables inside or both. Here's my scenario:

I always keep my laptop (in back seat) and cellphone (in cubby hole) in the car while going/returning to office. On way I stop for a smoke. The distance between the galla (shop) and where my car is parked is some 15 feet - enough for the car to recognize the fob in proximity. while I am busy buying, someone can attempt to open the door and take away the valuables.

Solution - a manual override button in the key which stops itself from getting detected. Not sure if its there in the Verna. Zappo, any comments on this?
Old 4th May 2011, 13:14   #270
BHPian

Following both cars' reviews - Fiesta and Verna, for sometime now and here is my opinion on both :-Fiesta - a perfect enthusiast's car but it seriously lacks the looks and size of a car this segment and price. I saw it at Jaypee Hotel in Delhi in Bright blue colour, as some Ford delegation was staying there and had 2 test mules with them. Although when i swa the one in Silver at display in Saket mall it looked fine. Size and looks seem the only deterrent in case of otherwise flawless Fiesta.Verna - Seems to have all an Indian Buyer yearns for and expect this to fire the sales chart even more than the Fiesta.Infact, even i am tempted to go for Verna although the driver in me is FIDA on FIESTA.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks