Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:38   #211
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

VARIANTS 1.4 1.6 1.6 SX 1.6 SX (O)
EXTERIOR
Side repeaters on ORVM YES YES YES YES
Chrome Door Handles NO NO NO YES
Rear Spoiler NO NO NO NO
Glass Antenna NO NO NO NO
Alloy Wheels NO NO 16 " 16 "

INTERIORS:
Height Adjustable driver Seat NO TILT TILT TILT
Rear Map Lamps NO NO NO NO
Supervision Cluster NO NO YES YES
Leather Upholstery NO NO NO YES

CONVENIENCE
Rear AC Vents NO NO NO NO
ECM / Rear Camera display NO NO YES YES
Rear Parking Sensors NO YES YES YES
FATC NO YES YES YES
Cooled Glove Box NO NO YES YES
Electrically Adjustable ORVM YES YES YES YES
Electrically Foldable ORVM NO NO YES YES

AUDIO
2 Din CD Player ( Mp3 Mode ) YES YES YES YES
USB & AUX in connectivity YES YES YES YES
Audio Remote Controls on Steering NO YES YES YES
Bluetooth Connectivity NO YES YES YES

SAFETY
Folding Key YES YES YES YES
Smart Key NO NO NO YES
front Fog lamp YES YES YES YES
Airbags NO DRIVER DUAL SIX
ABS NO YES YES YES

Last edited by Vid6639 : 2nd May 2011 at 13:18. Reason: Fixed spelling mistakes :-)
iceman91 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:51   #212
Senior - BHPian

Seems like 1.4 is completely devoid of everything. Its too basic and Hyundai should price it dirt cheap. Hyundai should allow all sorts of mods and upgrades and that will create a lot of happy customers for them.

No Rear A/C vents on any variant. For a car that might touch and even cross the dreaded 10 lacs milestone, rear A/C vents should have been there. I understand that except Linea, no other C segment cars have them as of now. But, to win the competition Hyundai should have had them.

The D-day is not too far now. By 11th May, we all would get the crystal clear picture of the Verna. I hope Hyundai do unveil not just the car but the most important prices also.
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:55   #213
BHPian

so SX (O) over SX:

Chrome Door Handles
Leather Upholstery
Smart Key
Four additional air bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
No Rear A/C vents on any variant. I understand that except Linea, no other C segment cars have them as of now.
Correction: Vento has rear A/C vents in both TL and HL trims.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 2nd May 2011 at 13:20. Reason: Merged posts. Please use edit option when posting within 30mins. Thanks.
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:58   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sith_lord View Post
Correction: Vento has real A/C vents in both TL and HL trims.

Thanks for correcting sith_lord. My bad, i missed it. And how could I miss it? I just TDed the Vento on this Saturday.
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:11   #215
Senior - BHPian

I would like to see a car in this segment that has rear AC vents with seperate and blowers. Does the Linea have them? The vento's rear AC vents just use the front AC vent's blowers so doesn't have much effect for lower blower speeds. I personally like overhead blowers like in SUVs and MUVs.
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:25   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
I drive the i20. The rear A/C vents under the seats make absolutely no difference to the cooling. Cooled glove box / Rear Ac vents are there just to make up numbers on that long feature list!
The under-seat vents only work when flow is directed to the feet from the dash controls. Of course, I completely agree with you though, neither of these makes a damn difference to the cooling I just ensure both are blocked and whatever little cool air I'm being obliged with, is directed into the cabin and not at the feet or the glove compartment !!
Old 2nd May 2011, 13:14   #217
BHPian

I wish Hyundai wud had provided the 1.4 in mid variant - 1.4 SX. It wud make sense to a lot of non-enthus who are 90% into city driving and need the higher equipment levels. The 1.4 both P&D have acceptable power n torque. The 1.6 base variant is out of place and could be replaced with the 1.4 SX at the same price point.

Currently, the base 1.4 is just a trophy bride - to show the world the wide price coverage of the car (like the Vento Trendline).
Old 2nd May 2011, 13:40   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
I drive the i20. The rear A/C vents under the seats make absolutely no difference to the cooling. Cooled glove box / Rear Ac vents are there just to make up numbers on that long feature list!
Thanks Kimified for that info. Can someone please throw some light on the best rear bench cooling car on the south side of a million rupees?
Old 2nd May 2011, 13:47   #219
BHPian

A couple of questions -
What about the automatic climate control - which variant has it ?
What is FATC ?
I am looking for base 1.6 diesel and seems pretty well equipped too. I can live without sx and sx(o) features - alloys(i can get mine later), folding orvm, dual airbag, chrome handles, smart key, leather upholstery).

. If not chrome what will be handle colors - body color or black ? Hopefully body colored for the segment this car is in.
. What is the tyre size in base and sx trims ?
. What will be service intervals ?
Old 2nd May 2011, 13:50   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Thanks Kimified for that info. Can someone please throw some light on the best rear bench cooling car on the south side of a million rupees?
The current Fiesta is one of the best, despite not having rear AC vents.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 14:12   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
The current Fiesta is one of the best, despite not having rear AC vents.
Thanks Vnabhi. Hopefully the same is carried forward to the new Fiesta. Any idea if the NFS has rear AC vents (they won't matter though, if the NFS AC is a chiller)
Old 2nd May 2011, 15:42   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
Sugeeeta with all due respect , i dont know what qualifies your statement that the "The previous generation Verna used to wobble at higher speeds" have you been driving a well maintained verna , even the best of cars will wobble is they re not maintained properly , the issue with verna at high speeds is a nervousness which many drivers get used to after a period or time. and not any wobble , please check with any of the owners on the forum..

But tell me sugeeta how much time do you actually drive at speeds over 130 kmph for you to be so worried about the handling characteristics of the car at speeds exceeding 130 kmph ?

I belive i can say this because i own one of the first cars of the first batch of vernas CRDIs and have done more than 1 lakhs kms on it.

Were you comparing the i20 to the fiesta when evaluating the " driving dynamics "?

@hellstar, we have a Verna in the family, and as a family of car lovers, all our cars are well maintained. I personally driven this car
very often and needless to say, I did like it very much in the city. However on outstation trips, on higher speeds, I could definitely feel
the wobble. This is a Verna CRDi I am talking about. There are other Verna owners who feel this as well, even on the Forum. If I compare it with the Fiesta TDCi which I drive daily, I have always felt the Fiesta to be more stable on the Highway. Again, this is a personal opinion.

I do a lot of Highway driving, at least 1-2 times a month; hence it is very important that the car should handle well at high speeds.

When you drive a certain vehicle consistently over a period of time, you tend to get comfortable with it. That could be one main reason for the Verna being in your comfort zone, the way I find the Fiesta to be in my comfort zone. I also see that you drive a Pete'd Verna. I presume some modifications may have been made to your car. The Verna I am talking of is a stock Verna.

I was not comparing the driving dynamics of the i20 with the Fiesta. Rather, we went to purchase a small hatch and went to TD the i10. The sales guy tried to sell us the i20. We went for a TD and when compared the i10 and i20, I found the i10 to be a better value for money. The i20 seemed to be an underpowered car as the same 1.2 petrol Kappa engine has been plonked in both.

Friend, don't read too much between the lines. These are personal opinions / my experience. It can vary from yours.

I am seriously considering the Verna, even after having booked the New Fiesta. Hence, I will only make the final choice after TDing both.

Cheers

Last edited by Sugeeta : 2nd May 2011 at 15:46.
Old 2nd May 2011, 15:46   #223
Senior - BHPian

One Team BHP member has already booked ANHV 1.6 diesel base variant. Just saw his post in the "I booked my car" thread. He did not get any information from the dealer, even after booking.
Old 2nd May 2011, 16:08   #224
Team-BHP Support

Interesting! After looking at the 1.4 spec levels I now know why the 1.4 was not made available for the TD in the media launch event. If one were to go by the specs it hardly has much in it to showcase anyways.

On a differrent note, I see some very interesting aspects here... Why has Hyundai skimped on some of the goodies like
- rear AC vents
- paddle shift

In my opinion, Hyundai is very keen to make this car a real fighter in the segment. Expect it to stir up the nest. And to do that Hyundai will need to keep the pricing extremely competitive. However, they could not skimp on the accessories as in the past. They have seen what can happen even to a sacred cow like Honda when they tried the trick once too often with the Jazz.

So look at the final offering. Each of the feature is either a real novelty or else a very thoughtfully added useful feature that a lot of people asked for in the past. So you get back the 4-discs setup, you get the ABS/EBD combine to go along with the Airbags. Afterall safety is important and Indians are waking up to it (even if slowly). On the other hand, electrically folding mirrors, rear cam with sensors, a feature laden ICE system etc are considered highly desirable goodies that people specifically look out for. Then of course things like the Ionizer in the AC adds to the yum factor for people and are things they can immediately connect to (home ACs already talk about Bio factor, Ionizers and so many such things that bring in awareness) and appreciate as something new that Hyundai is bringing in.

So then if so many firsts have to be added something must go as well to control the overall price levels. Rear AC vents are one such. You would have seen that people agree that they hardly make much difference, unless of course they come with their own coil (much costlier option). Moreover, in a SUV class vehicle with a huge cabin that may make sense but for a sedan this is avoidable. Thus went out the rear AC vent option. Similarly, the paddle shift is something that probably makes sense in big cars which may also serve as highway cruisers. This car is predominantly targetting the average city bloke who will travel in-city for 90 to 95% of his time. In such a setup the paddle shift is of no use anyways. Thus no paddle shifts either...

In fact the more I see the offering this car has to make the more I feel that Hyundai has been highly judicious in picking up the right levels of features to make this a blockbuster hit for the average car buying bloke in town. Only thing that remains to be seen is the final pricing. If their 1.6 Manual top end comes within 10 lakhs Ex Showroom take it from me it will be mayhem in the market. Expect Honda to drop prices for the City in a quick time.
Zappo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 16:51   #225
BHPian

So much has been talked about this car on this forum but I believe we are still going in circles when talked about handling of 'ANHV'.
Zappo clearly mentioned, it may happen above 130 Km/Hr. And Zappo also reminded us, the cars which he and other drove, were pre-production cars. Who knows, 'HMIL' may well take care of these small issues in actual production cars.

Now we are talking about AC effectiveness & rear seat comfort! My friend owns a Santro XL model(2006) and he never found any issues with the AC when discussed with him.

I have seen people, who love to wear blankets/sweaters or wrap them up, sitting inside a AC room/car but will never shut off the AC or change the temperature to a comfortable level.

I always live by one 'mantra’, ‘Things which are not in our control, we should not think much about it', rather than try to get maximum out of what we have.

'HMIL' is not providing a 5/6 speed automatic, I cannot force 'HMIL' to provide it. It is there well thought strategy considering the number of units sold as against the manual one, the users profiles and many other factors.

The rear seats are low, may be to increase the rear visibility from drivers perspective. They are comfortable or not, I may not tell but definitely it will not be un-comfortable to that extend where in people have to force themselves to lift them up and get out of the car immediately.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks