Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2012, 10:12   #181
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Manza:: The Story Continues:: 20,000 kms Update

Today exactly 6 months back I got the delivery of my white whale aka Toothless. Incidentally that was also a Monday

Toothless completed 10000 km's this weekend, which is in 6 months’ time. I think it is an appropriate time to do a quick summary of my views about the car:

Total Kms: 10217
Total Days: 181
Avg kms / Day: 56

What I like:
  1. An extremely practical "Family" sedan. Enough space for people, luggage and other small nick nacks. IMHO, there has not been a time when I could not carry all I wanted to due to shortage of space in the Toothless. This is sometimes travelling with 5 adults and their luggage’s.
  2. Inexpensive to maintain (details below)
  3. Fuel efficient diesel (details below)
  4. Reasonably quick and comfortable to drive/ ride in, does not tire me or family much. We did a non-stop 700 odd kms from Goa to Bangalore (except lunch & tea)
  5. Reliable so far. No breakdowns etc apart from the unfortunate accident that took place on 7th Jan 2012.
  6. No ownership surprises. Everything is going on as expected (both good and not so good bits)
  7. Road presence is really good, if you stick the nose in a gap then the Bangalore autowala’s especially don’t even bother cutting you. Also when overtaking just a single small honk is what is required to get space.

What I don't like:

1. A very very sedate driving experience, the initial response from the engine could have been a tad more faster
  2. Turbolag quite frustrating sometimes during city drives when other cars just shoots ahead, but I have got used to it now as I know I can always catch up later
  3. Service experience. Folks at ASC's are helpful but at times technically challenged and still need a little bit more learning to handle these technically advanced cars. This was brought to the fore when they were trying to solve a “Jerking” issue in the car.

Below is the summary of expenses I incurred on maintaining it. (Does not include the accessories cost)

• 1k km 1st service - rs.500 for wheel alignment (No complaints reported)
  • 5400 km 2nd free service, - rs.0 (Complained about the “Jerk” and suspension sound when going over humps)
  • 9800 km 3rd Free Service – Rs. 4500 (Oil + Filter change)
  • 9700 kms accident repair in Chennai – Rs. 9400 (Total bill was 56k)
  • 9900 kms; windshield developed a hairline crack – Rs. 1255 (50% for the rubber sealent)

Problems Faced

1. “Jerking” – Rectified
Used to face this problem when the turbo opened completely at around 2800 rpm range. The technicians tried all their resources but were not able to isolate the issue. I pointed them to check with Turbo Energy the manufacturer of the turbo kit for Manza, those guys did not find any issues.

Later, the issue was solved by changing the EGR valve which was causing the gases to not recirculate properly and since then the issue has not resurfaced.

2. “Suspension Sound” – Rectified
Used to hear clanking sound from the front suspension when going over humps, the issue was solved by reassembling the front and changing the bushes

3. “Steering Sound” – Open
There is a loud metal sound when you reverse and turn the steering to the left, this happens when turning slowly and intermittently. During the 3rd service they replaced the bearings but the problem still persists, I have generally informed them about the existence but since its not a major issue I am not pursuing it further until the next service.

4. “Dashboard Rattling” – Open
The dashboard sounds like something is loose when going over bad roads. Had reported this during the 2nd service, but it was not solved, forgot to report during the 3rd service, but since its nothing major, I have left it for the next service.

5. “Left Pulling” – Rectified
The car used to pull to the left when leaving the steering free, this was rectified at Madhu’s after a wheel balancing & alignment. Since then I have not got the wheels aligned at the A.S.S

That's about Rs. 5600 for 10k km's excluding Rs.10.6k on accidental repair as this cannot be generalized. This equates to around Rs.0.56/km maintenance cost.

FE remains ~14.5 – 15.3kmpl in city limits and 18-21kpl on highway drives.

Considering the higher initial cost of acquisition I would say the car has been pretty economical to drive around.

Accessories Fitted
  • Door Pad covers: Fixed Black Nepa leather door pad & steering cover from Karlssons
  • Alloys: Fixed 15” AVA Hyper Black Alloys
  • ICE: Kenny 6046 HU along with my old speakers & amp
  • Horns: Fixed Bosch Symphony horns ala Skoda type
  • Wipers: Hella Dyna Edge wipers with Graphite finished tip for silent and smooth operation

Would I buy it again if the time was re-winded back to Sept 2011; Oh YES I would

Last edited by motomaverick : 12th March 2012 at 10:18.
motomaverick is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2012, 15:41   #182
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thing happened today morning, the ICD (Instrument Cluster Display) on the instrument cluster suddenly started glowing constantly but again it went away after 10 mins. Not sure what the error was but i guess the onboard brain has self diagnostic facility.

Could this have been caused due to extremely low fuel in the tank, because when i saw today morning the distance to empty was showing up as 14kms, so the car was literally running on fumes
Old 16th March 2012, 16:47   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Interesting thing happened today morning, the ICD (Instrument Cluster Display) on the instrument cluster suddenly started glowing constantly but again it went away after 10 mins. Not sure what the error was but i guess the onboard brain has self diagnostic facility.

Could this have been caused due to extremely low fuel in the tank, because when i saw today morning the distance to empty was showing up as 14kms, so the car was literally running on fumes
Was there any other light also on along with the RED dot light of ICD? What I understand is that ICD light comes up when there is anything wrong sensed by the ECU. I think this light is also supported by warning buzzer's ton ton to draw attention assuming if the driver is not able to observe the ICD light.

This can not be due to low fuel levels. Manza (and most other cars) have 2-3 litres of fuel left when the DTE goes to zero.
Old 16th March 2012, 17:47   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
Was there any other light also on along with the RED dot light of ICD? What I understand is that ICD light comes up when there is anything wrong sensed by the ECU. I think this light is also supported by warning buzzer's ton ton to draw attention assuming if the driver is not able to observe the ICD light.

This can not be due to low fuel levels. Manza (and most other cars) have 2-3 litres of fuel left when the DTE goes to zero.
Nope no other lights apart from the red ICD symbol, no buzzing as well. And it has not come up again as yet. I saw that the MID showed some "Err_" thing when checking DTE and post that the ICD came.
Old 16th March 2012, 18:29   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Nope no other lights apart from the red ICD symbol, no buzzing as well. And it has not come up again as yet. I saw that the MID showed some "Err_" thing when checking DTE and post that the ICD came.
hmm.. then it could actually be as simple as ECU not able to calculate DTE properly due to *some* reason and throwing up error message. I think there would be an error code recorded if you get the ecu scan done at next service.

I won't worry about it but keep a watch that this ICD thing does not happen again.
Old 16th March 2012, 20:03   #186
Senior - BHPian

@motomaverick - Congratulations on your new purchase.

If I may ask, why did you sell Mr. Miyagi. In my opinion it would be a really good city car for one or two people and for those times when you don't need to take the Manza out. Anyway, that is the past now.

Just curious, I don't seem to have heard of this EGR problem with the various other brands using the Fiat MJD. Is it that Tata are aseembling and building these engines themselves and therein lies the problem.

Glad that the car kept you safe during the accident.

The cost of running the car is really cheap. Guess it really makes sense.

My uncle has a Manza too and he feels the same as you do. It is a real VFM car for what it offers. If only Tata can fix their niggles and A.S.S, they will be up there in every car buyers mind for any purchase.
Old 18th March 2012, 20:25   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
@motomaverick - Congratulations on your new purchase.

If I may ask, why did you sell Mr. Miyagi. In my opinion it would be a really good city car for one or two people and for those times when you don't need to take the Manza out. Anyway, that is the past now.

Just curious, I don't seem to have heard of this EGR problem with the various other brands using the Fiat MJD. Is it that Tata are aseembling and building these engines themselves and therein lies the problem.

Glad that the car kept you safe during the accident.

The cost of running the car is really cheap. Guess it really makes sense.

My uncle has a Manza too and he feels the same as you do. It is a real VFM car for what it offers. If only Tata can fix their niggles and A.S.S, they will be up there in every car buyers mind for any purchase.
Well selling the Zen was mainly due to two reasons 1) to generate the initial down payment 2) The running was getting higher by the month close to 1500kms so keeping a 2nd car was not ideal

Yea even I have not heard about EGR issues but thats what fixed the problem so all is well. Yeah the only issue that Tata needs to fix is Quality inspection & A.S.S, since they have a huge number of commercial vehicles they should separate the service for Yellow & White board.
Old 18th March 2012, 23:02   #188
BHPian

Quote:

Yeah. This is reported to occur. I have already changed my instrument cluster and DIS once when the check engine light came on for no apparent reason. This happened around the 12.5K mark on the odo.

The new unit also is acting up whenever I fill a full tank. The fuel gauge goes crazy for a few minutes. The problem goes away as and when the fuel level reduces.

Better to get your instrument cluster checked. Looks to be a design fault somewhere. Need to get the ICD in my car also checked again. sigh.
Old 19th March 2012, 10:10   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
Yeah. This is reported to occur. I have already changed my instrument cluster and DIS once when the check engine light came on for no apparent reason. This happened around the 12.5K mark on the odo.

The new unit also is acting up whenever I fill a full tank. The fuel gauge goes crazy for a few minutes. The problem goes away as and when the fuel level reduces.

Better to get your instrument cluster checked. Looks to be a design fault somewhere. Need to get the ICD in my car also checked again. sigh.
Well i will wait for the next service as there does not seem to be anything wrong, the milage indicated by the MID is also tallying with tankful method so the computer is working fine, so fancy lighting or these ICDs anymore, in your case might be something else, check the grounding of different circuitry.
Old 22nd May 2012, 17:59   #190
Senior - BHPian

Update

So lets update this thread after a long time. Actually got a long pending work done on the car so thought will update this thread.

It was due to my mistake circa 31st Dec 2011 while reversing put a scratch in the center of the rear bumper towards the lower part, this happened due to a small shrub.

All these days I have been thinking of doing a DIY paint job to remove that scratch but its been postponing for now close to 5 months. Well finally today I got down to remove that scratch, not by painting but a simple 2 min work

This is the scratch I was talking about
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-wp_000020.jpg

And this is the simple 2min work Even Maggi Noodles can't be made in 2mins
Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-img_4543.jpg

Overall the car has been performing well since the last service which was done at 9400 kms. Now its close to 14k kms. This has been mostly city driving with just a small trip to Ooty thrown in between. Though the overall performance has been good, I am noticing a slight drop in mileage that I have been getting since the last two tankfuls. Its around 13kpl, which is the lowest I have got till now. Driving habits have not changed though there has been quite a lot of a/c usage but still it should not go down so much.

Anyways I have done the usual tire pressure checks and other engine oil etc checks but all seems well. Could it be due to evaporation but Bangalore temps aren't that high as well, so I am planning to raise this thing up with the A.S.S to just have check when I visit them this weekend. Not for service but just getting the brakes and other essential fluids topped up before the upcoming Kochi trip.
Old 14th June 2012, 11:22   #191
Senior - BHPian

Cosmetic Updates

Just like a girl likes to dressup her dolls, a man aspires to dress up his cars and what better way than to put some cool white LEDs

Only problem is the sticking out corner over the OEM fogs, this I am planning to cut with a warmed up knife so as not to break the plastic.

Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-wp_0000252.jpg

Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-wp_0000262.jpg

Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-wp_0000272.jpg

Tata Manza: The story ends @ 45,000 kms-wp_0000282.jpg
Old 14th June 2012, 14:11   #192
Senior - BHPian

@ Motomaverick, even I was thinking of DRL's for my Vista. Was thinking of something that would fit inside the bumper recess next to the fog lamps. Did you come across any such lamps. What make and price are those? they are not really going with the look of the car.
Old 14th June 2012, 14:15   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Cosmetic Updates

Just like a girl likes to dressup her dolls, a man aspires to dress up his cars and what better way than to put some cool white LEDs

Only problem is the sticking out corner over the OEM fogs, this I am planning to cut with a warmed up knife so as not to break the plastic.
Congrats, so you finally got em DRL's

The corners can easily be cut. I got mine cut and installed. They are made in a way which allows them to break off (infact on some websites this is metioned). The guy cut it using a simple blade for me. Have a look at-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2754862

These DRLs are definitely a looker!! I get compliments wherever I go.

Last edited by superutp : 14th June 2012 at 14:25.
Old 14th June 2012, 16:54   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
@ Motomaverick, even I was thinking of DRL's for my Vista. Was thinking of something that would fit inside the bumper recess next to the fog lamps. Did you come across any such lamps. What make and price are those? they are not really going with the look of the car.
They are a little big with 9 smd LEDs but they do go with the car just have to cut those edges

Got them from a dealer in ebay for around 17$ which was around 1000 bucks a month back before the rupee going down, but they are well made and sealed.

2x9 DRLs

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Congrats, so you finally got em DRL's

The corners can easily be cut. I got mine cut and installed. They are made in a way which allows them to break off (infact on some websites this is metioned). The guy cut it using a simple blade for me. Have a look at-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2754862

These DRLs are definitely a looker!! I get compliments wherever I go.
Hey thanks, yup finally got them, the fixing was a DIY so that's why I could not cut those edges, tried with a paper cutter but didn't work. They are bright now i need to source white lights for the fog, headlight, parking etc
Old 14th June 2012, 17:02   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They are a little big with 9 smd LEDs but they do go with the car just have to cut those edges

Got them from a dealer in ebay for around 17$ which was around 1000 bucks a month back before the rupee going down, but they are well made and sealed.
OK, Cool! I am thinking of installing them in the centre line next to the fog lamp if possible. Am still to start hunting for it though!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks